The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sub-sections within the Golf board?

+16
Enforcer
No1yankee
JPX
super_realist
Hibbz
Doon the Water
LadyPutt
McLaren
Davie
kwinigolfer
Tiler76
ralphjohn69
barragan
Diggers
drive4show
navyblueshorts
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sub-sections within the Golf board?

Sub-sections within the Golf board? Vote_lcap29%Sub-sections within the Golf board? Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 6 ]
Sub-sections within the Golf board? Vote_lcap71%Sub-sections within the Golf board? Vote_rcap 71% 
[ 15 ]

Total Votes : 21

Sub-sections within the Golf board? Empty Sub-sections within the Golf board?

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 16 Nov 2011, 1:04 pm

Hi All,

Just wanted to canvas opinion re. getting some sub-sections up and running in this here golf section.

As an opening gambit, I suggest something like:

Golf Talk (Tour, general etc)
Equipment
Books etc
Course Architecture etc
Rules
Swing Theory etc
Anything Else (The "D4S" Area)

Too much? Not enough? Anything else? Good idea or should I fetch my coat?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Sub-sections within the Golf board? Empty Re: Sub-sections within the Golf board?

Post by drive4show Wed 16 Nov 2011, 1:06 pm

navy

Conceptually, a good idea. Do we/you have enough clout with the admins to make it happen?

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Sub-sections within the Golf board? Empty Re: Sub-sections within the Golf board?

Post by Diggers Wed 16 Nov 2011, 1:08 pm

For me its a complete no. I remember when Golfobserver started up after the BBC site made its first big changes.
I went over and just hated the fact that all the threads were buried in subsections.
As far as Im concerned there really arent that many new threads created on a daily basis and they only stay current for a while and then die a natural death.
I think its fine as it is personally.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 16 Nov 2011, 1:15 pm

I think minimal divison would be ok - how about 'Pro' and 'Am' subsets containing:

Pro
- Mav's Euro tour thingy
- Kwini's PGA tour thingy

Am
- Tell us about your game today
- Golfing tips and advice sticky
- Social / Games / Get together sticky
- Fantasy leagues / eclectic??

Then topics section as normal.

I've also offered a suggestion of how the Golfing tips and advice thread could be a little easier to navigate and serve its purpose in a more efficient manner - see the thread in question.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 1:27 pm

I'd leave it as it is personally, although would agree that there's too many stickied articles.

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiler76 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 1:29 pm

As a more casual reader/poster, I'm with Diggers on this one. I don't think there are enough new threads to need subsections, unless you create a "WUM" subsection Wink

If anything needs looking at, it's the "sticky" section. It's getting so big it's getting difficult to spot the main recurring threads, which I guess was the point of it in the first place.

Tiler76

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 16 Nov 2011, 1:31 pm

Agree with Diggers (!) and Tiler. Edit the stickies and leave as is.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 16 Nov 2011, 1:38 pm

I believe Mav has already asked the admins to remove two of his old stickies.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 16 Nov 2011, 1:40 pm

I've been using the "report" feature every week just to get threads stuck and unstuck

The two stupid v2 poll threads in the sticky section don't help matters either

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 16 Nov 2011, 1:45 pm

No need for change, I hate boards with sub sections.

Only change we need is a golf admin to keep things like the stickies ticking over and other small issues. Come on Davie, you know you want to?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 16 Nov 2011, 1:55 pm

Fat chance of that, Mac

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed 16 Nov 2011, 1:56 pm

I don't think we need subsections, either. But I would like the Admins to remove the stickies when they are out of date (perhaps YI Man could do that rather than displaying his apparent lack of golf knowledge - that'll probably get me black-listed ... or is that a racist comment as well??). Rolling Eyes It was all running so well until they upset our dedicated Admins.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Nov 2011, 1:59 pm

Navyblue (golf mod, remember him?) has the ability to edit the stickies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 16 Nov 2011, 2:01 pm

News just in, LP .... YI Man yesterday asked me to relinquish control of the 606v2golf twitter account that I set up when I was an admin. I have since renamed the account to not606v2golf but refused to hand it over as it was an account I created with an email address that I also created.

Seems YI is going to set up a new "official" one that he will run

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Nov 2011, 2:04 pm

News just in, LP

I only asked for the log in details so that we could use the twitter account to advertise the golf section for potential new members by using the awards. (As we are doing on all of the other v2 twitter accounts)

However, Davie refused and has since changed the name so that we now need to set up a new account. He is deliberately sabotaging our attempts to bring you new members.

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 16 Nov 2011, 2:05 pm

Rolling Eyes

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Nov 2011, 2:07 pm

Oh, im sorry.
Did you refuse to give the Admin of this forum the log in details for the twitter account that was set up for the purpose of advertising v2 for potential new members, or not?

As you refused, I told you that the name had to be changed as it was not being used in the interests of v2 and was your own personal twitter account "as you created it originally, and the e-mail address"

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 16 Nov 2011, 2:12 pm

Yes..it seems to be running along with sticky backed paper and pieces of string at the moment, not so good as a few months ago.
I'm with Ban bam on this one ~ less is more.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Nov 2011, 2:23 pm

And just as confirmation regarding the use of our twitter accounts and how important they are and the awards, we have had the following RT's in the last few minutes, which will hopefully bring guests and in turn members to v2:

got a RT from Harry Hill fans (5800), RugbyEm (580), Lord Coopy (derren Browns PA) (4390), Daniel Ament (550) and Kai Owen (8900) people for the TV ones.

Thats over 20,000 people receiving tweets with direct links to here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 16 Nov 2011, 2:26 pm

Do we really have to carry on having a pop at the guys who run the site ?
They are letting us do our own thing just as before and Navy is doing fine as an admin. Whats the big problem ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 16 Nov 2011, 2:38 pm

How about they do away with "stickies" altogether? Surely if something is so important it needs it then people will be commenting on it and it "sticks" itself? If not is it really that hard to find back articles?

Failing that I'm in with the leave it as it is crowd.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 16 Nov 2011, 2:46 pm

Laugh Looking like I'll be fetching my coat...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 16 Nov 2011, 2:50 pm

I am with diggers here, lets start getting along with site owners and help them in their attempts to attract new posters.

If the twitter account is registered to Davies email address then it really shouldn’t be handed back to v2.

Would a comprise not be to set up a new account registered to 606v2 and get davie to put out a tweet to his followers advising that in order to get official v2 tweets they need to follow the new account?

YI

I think you are better adopting the stance of never squabbling with posters no matter how obtuse you think they are being. As I said I would really like to see the golf section work with the admins but I feel you need to keep postings to a strictly highly professional tone.

As a gesture of good will I will send out a tweet mentioning the new 606v2 golf account for you.

Davie

It is fair enough to keep your account, as i said, but no need to make it public knowledge.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 16 Nov 2011, 2:53 pm

navyblueshorts wrote::laugh: Looking like I'll be fetching my coat...

Hope it's not Green. Remember Blue and Green should never be seen. Or was that Red? Either way navy all you've done is open it up to debate as asked, you're doing a grand job mate.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Nov 2011, 2:59 pm

We want to sort this out once and for all Mac.
But we are in an impossible position.

We carry out moderation (following reports), and get complained at.
We dont do moderation and we get pm's complaining.
We want to use the existing twitter account to advertise for new members and are told no.
We keep things in private via pm, and then they are mentioned on the board.

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:06 pm

Y I Man wrote:We want to sort this out once and for all Mac.
But we are in an impossible position.

We carry out moderation (following reports), and get complained at.
We dont do moderation and we get pm's complaining.
We want to use the existing twitter account to advertise for new members and are told no.
We keep things in private via pm, and then they are mentioned on the board.

Perhaps it's the "we" that is the problem? With the exception of NBS who does a damn good job (though by his own admission he's not here as often as some), the people who are doing the moderation (or non-moderation) don't know the score.

You could have asked me to use the existing twitter account, but that apparently wasn't on the table

And as for keeping things in private - well I've just been told that all my correspondence with you was circulated amongst the admins

Just saying...

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:11 pm

Davie

What is the problem here, are you miffed that you loose control of the twitter account (fair enough you are no longer an admin) or that it is set up using your email account?

If you left your company you would not expect to keep any accounts you log into would you?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:16 pm

the people who are doing the moderation (or non-moderation) don't know the score.
We have only carried out moderation in golf when posts have been subject to reports from other golf members. If they break site rules, they go. If they don't, the posts stay. Its not difficult so I'm not sure what you mean by not knowing the score.

And of course the Admin talk to each other, I was referring to mentioning things on the board for the general members to see.

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:19 pm

I think what they mean YI is that a lot of mods (who aren't golf specific) interjecting on the golf boards are not golfers and really don't follow the sport (for example, the rash of female specific threads posted in what appeared to be appeasement), but more importantly aren't yet accustomed to the general tone we share as a group of forum members, and that moderation is taken a bit too rashly.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:21 pm

As I said, only posts that have been reported have been dealt with in the golf section. So it is not a case of us Admin having a problem with the posts, it is your fellow golf members who have the issue with the posts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:23 pm

Serious question here.

Would you prefer to be left alone with no Admins posting in golf?
Or
Would you like us to try and build the membership for the golf section?

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:24 pm

super_realist wrote:I think what they mean YI is that a lot of mods (who aren't golf specific) interjecting on the golf boards are not golfers and really don't follow the sport (for example, the rash of female specific threads posted in what appeared to be appeasement), but more importantly aren't yet accustomed to the general tone we share as a group of forum members, and that moderation is taken a bit too rashly.

That's what I was trying to say - thanks SR you said it better
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:26 pm

It depends where you are planning on building the membership from. If it's just johnny come latelys who turn up at Majors and WUM all the time, then no I don't think we want them.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:31 pm

The advertising we do is via twitter.
But we sometimes need the odd article that will grab the attention of the people on twitter and the awards were set up with this purpose.
We have just had a link to v2 go out to 58,000 followers on twitter from one RT from the film award one.

The opportunity is there for new members but if our attempts are hampered or you dont want our presence in the golf section, then we cant do it.

Look at the boxing and rugby sections and what they have become.
We have a link up with Primetime TV (boxing PPV channel) for free streams and prizes.
The Rugby section has competitions for free Rugby shirts.

We can do the same here, but we need to have a presence in golf to make it happen.

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:40 pm

i'm not fussed about the 'goodies' and the very thought of twitter gives me the heebies.
it would be nice to have a few new faces floating in and out from time to time though.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:45 pm

The more members the better, whoever they are. They should be made to feel welcome, I don't like the way some posters are treated on the golf board, and the admins too come to think of it. Without new members it becomes stale (in fact I thought that very recently) there will only ever be the same members discussing the same old things every day.

They, and the admins, have a right to comment on golf, so let them. This whole "leave us to it" thing is very similar to everything that is wrong with a lot of golf clubs.

I think some could do with reminding that without the admins, there would be no forum. It's a thankless job and I think the way they have been treated here is direspectful.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:52 pm

Twitter is a great marketing ploy ban_bam

I wasn't too fused about it until we discovered the power it has for advertising.
Proof it does work:

https://www.606v2.com/t18339-606v2-awards-2011-tv-personality#688268

Back to top Go down

Post by No1yankee Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:53 pm

Why dont we trial it well for a while.

No1yankee

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:54 pm

JPX is spot on, this whole Lord of the Flies thing is getting pretty dull. Makes you realise one of the strengths of the BBC was the anonimity of the admins so you didnt see any of any of the politics.
This is not a private members club, it needs as many people joining as possible and that will improve the site as a whole, not just the golf board.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Wed 16 Nov 2011, 4:52 pm

A quick note regarding the stickies, the rugby crowd have used the Alert A Moderator thread in the Help section asking for posts to be edited or have the stickiness changed.

Link - https://www.606v2.com/t29-alert-moderator-thread

Last edited by Enforcer on Wed 16 Nov 2011, 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added link)

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 16 Nov 2011, 5:42 pm

In all honesty the them and us thing really is becoming a bore now...

The twitter account issue seems like a load of old handbags, the person that created the email address and twitter account is the owner of the account(s) if they choose not to relinquish responsibility for it and not hand it over them they have every right to do that as the account owner (regardless of what its called).

Likewise its easy enough to create a new "official account and inform the followers of such account and changes going forward, really don't get the need to squabble over it.

Regards the new members v being left alone, why can't we have both in the sense that I think we all want new people to chat with and bounce ideas off of, and there's no reason mods/admins shouldn't post on threads if discussing topics, imo issues arise when we get the "red pen" posts which tend to be worded as though we as adults are being spoken to like children, and has antagonised some posters and will continue to.

There's nothing wrong with sensible moderation as many would agree we had on here, we need a period of cooling off where moderation is only done upon request of if something is clearly offensive and then deal with it behind closed doors, if the poster then makes it public come down on them not the rest of the section.

Anyway that's just my opinion on all this, may take a break from the place for a while as much as I enjoy the banter and chats with the other users on this site somethings (non golf related) are becoming tedious to keep going over

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 16 Nov 2011, 5:43 pm

Think the more people reading and posting here, the better. If there are some of S_R's fanbois and Johnny-come-latelys included in that, it's not necessarily a bad thing - they might have come lately but maybe they'll stay?

There's enough here to take out the out-and-out WUMs as well.

For me, get the advertising out there.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 16 Nov 2011, 7:25 pm

McLaren wrote:
As a gesture of good will I will send out a tweet mentioning the new 606v2 golf account for you.

Wow that is so gracious of you. The twittersphere is about to be rocked.

Why do people even use twitter anyway?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Nov 2011, 7:29 pm

We use it to advertise this forum. thumbsup

Others use it for news and updates on people.
More often than not, breaking news hits twitter before the general web-sites as it is so easily accessible and quick to use.

Last edited by Y I Man on Wed 16 Nov 2011, 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 16 Nov 2011, 7:30 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
McLaren wrote:

I once said that on here and someone pointed out the irony of me giving my opinion of Twitter on an online forum to a bunch of strangers. It was a fair point.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 16 Nov 2011, 7:37 pm

Mav,
Hopefully you'll continue to post on the golf threads, plus the nurses threads. thumbsup
(Was looking for a nurse smiley but I'll just have to imagine it. I know you will.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 16 Nov 2011, 7:57 pm

Diggers wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:
McLaren wrote:

I once said that on here and someone pointed out the irony of me giving my opinion of Twitter on an online forum to a bunch of strangers. It was a fair point.

I can see where you're coming from, but they really are not the same thing, unless your definition of irony is the same as Alanis Morristte's.

This forum is dedicated to debating golf topics, so your opinions (and hopefully mine) are encouraged as you have a specific audience. Twitter is just a random broadcast message to the world. I guess it works if you are famous and you have "fans" who follow you to listen to your views ie Poulter, then fair enough, but I just don't understand why a non-famous person would post.

Maybe it's a generation thing

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:00 pm

Anyway, don't see the point of sub-sections, would become even more cliquey than now.

Would be amusing to see the architecture sub-section, pages of doak inspired threads with only a single poster. Laugh

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:15 pm

ray

Which cliques do you think currently exist?

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:18 pm

raycastleunited wrote:Anyway, don't see the point of sub-sections, would become even more cliquey than now.

Would be amusing to see the architecture sub-section, pages of doak inspired threads with only a single poster. Laugh
thumbsup

laughing

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next