The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sub-sections within the Golf board?

+16
Enforcer
No1yankee
JPX
super_realist
Hibbz
Doon the Water
LadyPutt
McLaren
Davie
kwinigolfer
Tiler76
ralphjohn69
barragan
Diggers
drive4show
navyblueshorts
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sub-sections within the Golf board?

Sub-sections within the Golf board? - Page 2 Vote_lcap29%Sub-sections within the Golf board? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 6 ]
Sub-sections within the Golf board? - Page 2 Vote_lcap71%Sub-sections within the Golf board? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 71% 
[ 15 ]

Total Votes : 21

Sub-sections within the Golf board? - Page 2 Empty Sub-sections within the Golf board?

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:04 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi All,

Just wanted to canvas opinion re. getting some sub-sections up and running in this here golf section.

As an opening gambit, I suggest something like:

Golf Talk (Tour, general etc)
Equipment
Books etc
Course Architecture etc
Rules
Swing Theory etc
Anything Else (The "D4S" Area)

Too much? Not enough? Anything else? Good idea or should I fetch my coat?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Sub-sections within the Golf board? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sub-sections within the Golf board?

Post by Diggers Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:52 am

raycastleunited wrote:
Diggers wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:
McLaren wrote:
As a gesture of good will I will send out a tweet mentioning the new 606v2 golf account for you.

Wow that is so gracious of you. The twittersphere is about to be rocked.

Why do people even use twitter anyway?

I once said that on here and someone pointed out the irony of me giving my opinion of Twitter on an online forum to a bunch of strangers. It was a fair point.

I can see where you're coming from, but they really are not the same thing, unless your definition of irony is the same as Alanis Morristte's.

This forum is dedicated to debating golf topics, so your opinions (and hopefully mine) are encouraged as you have a specific audience. Twitter is just a random broadcast message to the world. I guess it works if you are famous and you have "fans" who follow you to listen to your views ie Poulter, then fair enough, but I just don't understand why a non-famous person would post.

Maybe it's a generation thing

That's not true, it's just you perception of Twitter. Its also a very useful tool for normal groups of people to share
and discuss information about all sorts of things. The celebrity part is just one element , all be it a well publicised one. It was never set up for that purpose, it just evolved that way.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Sub-sections within the Golf board? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sub-sections within the Golf board?

Post by raycastleunited Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:53 am

drive4show wrote:ray

Which cliques do you think currently exist?

There are a few, but I don't think they are intentional.

For example, there are 3 or 4 posters who frequently make sexist comments (in jest) on a thread, when one of them makes a comment, the other 3 or 4 will quickly chip in with similar comments and take over the thread. I would imagine that this thread then becomes less accessible / palatable to certain other posters. Before super realist attacks me for being a gruadrion reading tree hugger who is offended on others behalf, I'm not offended, it's just an example of a clique, but then the whole point of a forum such as this is for like minded people to share thoughts, so this is bound to happen.

There are posters who come on here and are shouted down pretty quickly for disagreeing with some of the regular posters, and I'm not referring to that wum keizo. And there are plenty of people happy to dive in to support the regulars, as if they a re duty bound to tow the party line. Someone mentioned it has all gone a bit "lord of the flies" recently, which I thought was pretty apt.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:55 am

Diggers wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:
Diggers wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:
McLaren wrote:
As a gesture of good will I will send out a tweet mentioning the new 606v2 golf account for you.

Wow that is so gracious of you. The twittersphere is about to be rocked.

Why do people even use twitter anyway?

I once said that on here and someone pointed out the irony of me giving my opinion of Twitter on an online forum to a bunch of strangers. It was a fair point.

I can see where you're coming from, but they really are not the same thing, unless your definition of irony is the same as Alanis Morristte's.

This forum is dedicated to debating golf topics, so your opinions (and hopefully mine) are encouraged as you have a specific audience. Twitter is just a random broadcast message to the world. I guess it works if you are famous and you have "fans" who follow you to listen to your views ie Poulter, then fair enough, but I just don't understand why a non-famous person would post.

Maybe it's a generation thing

That's not true, it's just you perception of Twitter. Its also a very useful tool for normal groups of people to share
and discuss information about all sorts of things. The celebrity part is just one element , all be it a well publicised one. It was never set up for that purpose, it just evolved that way.

I accept you are probably right. I don't know enough about twitter, unfortunately the celebrity element has put me off it.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:00 am

No, I can understand that and don't blame you. It's a shame as it does have uses, my mate is on a tweet thread for events for kids and parents in Tonbridge Wells, works really well for that sort of thing.
But yeah, I hate the celebrity side as well. Just a load of ego.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:37 am

I follow people on twitter who I know are good journalists or people who are experts in things that interest me. It is one of my best source of quality articles outside the mainstream news sites. Also good for getting links to experts in other territories.

I can be pretty sure my cliche consists of one, just me. It will be a fine day when I find a friend on here. Violins out people, and think of poor mac shedding a tear.

mav

Dont quit its for losers, what happened to never leaving a man behind and all that commando stuff?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:53 am

I think it's more or less fine as is, if it's possible to trim the sticky section a wee bit then fine, that would be good. The only other subsection that might be useful is a WUM section which should be.....at the end, buried at least 50 pages down. Eejits like Keizo would be free to post but their tripe would get relegated by the mods to the WUM subsection where nobody could be arsed to trawl through to find it...sorted!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:56 am

Firstly Mac that must be one seriously small violin because I can't hear it..

Secondly pull up a chair mate i'd have a beer with you I think we'd get some good comversation going.

Finally, being a a former Commando I know what your getting at but not a leaving a man behind wherehis carcass would be paraded as some form of trophy and taking a break from here are different things, I never said anything about quiting jusing taking a break as some things are becoming tedious to keep goving over and by that I mean the continual posters v's mods and unrequired "red pen" posts.

I'll still be here in the long run but think it maybe time to focus my energies elsewhere for the timebeing

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:07 am

Y I Man wrote:Serious question here.

Would you prefer to be left alone with no Admins posting in golf?
Or
Would you like us to try and build the membership for the golf section?

How the Flip are they mutually exclusive?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:18 am

raycastleunited wrote:Anyway, don't see the point of sub-sections, would become even more cliquey than now.

Would be amusing to see the architecture sub-section, pages of doak inspired threads with only a single poster. Laugh
Not necessarily. I don't mind reading and learning about other people's thoughts on course design/architecture.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:33 am

SmithersJones wrote:

Or

Is that necessary? Why do some people here seem to have a knee-jerk up yours attitude?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:35 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:

Or

Is that necessary? Why do some people here seem to have a knee-jerk up yours attitude?

My point exactly as to why i'm considering a break

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2