The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragon Lewis Evans called up to Wales squad for Australia game

+4
welshy824
munkian
maestegmafia
Luckless Pedestrian
8 posters

Go down

Dragon Lewis Evans called up to Wales squad for Australia game Empty Dragon Lewis Evans called up to Wales squad for Australia game

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:07 pm

Not sure if this should be club or international, but wanted Dragons fans reaction so I've put it in club.

http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/NewsArticle.aspx?n=19737

Lewis Evans called up. Great for the player, great for the region. He's been developing nicely, just simmering away as a bit of a back up player to the set in stone back row combo of Falaetau, Lydiate and Gav Thomas. He has covered 6, 7, and 8 at various times. Good utility player. I have heard that he's seen as a 7 going forward, and perhpas the long term successor to Gav Thomas whe he retires. A back row of Faletau, Lydiate and Evans will be very strong but still mobile. I like!

Man of the match against Perpignan so gets the call up. However, will this further hamper the Dragons league/Amlin chances? Will international players miss important league/cup fixtures for the Aus game? I don't have them to hand. If so, we'll be a bit threadbare in the backrow. We saw at the start of the season what missing a few key players did to our form and ability. Losing another one to international duty, while a great achievement, may weaken us some more. Double edged sword! On the other hand, call ups have led Lewis Evans to be 'discovered' and game him the shot at valuable game time. Maybe this will pave the way for Andrew Coombes to further stake his credentials, or Jevon Groves to throw his hat into the ring?

Well done Lewis.

Back to top Go down

Dragon Lewis Evans called up to Wales squad for Australia game Empty Re: Dragon Lewis Evans called up to Wales squad for Australia game

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:18 pm

Great for Lewis to get called up to the national squad, well deserved. He's been around for a while and has always been solid but he definitely went up a notch on Thursday. As you say, the downside is that it means another player unavailable to the Dragons but Andrew Coombes has never let us down and would probably be brought in. I doubt Lewis will be involved with Wales during the Six Nations so we'll have him back for that - unless he impresses the national coaches so much that they want to see more of him.

I thought Adam Jones might have merited a call up on this season's form, but Gatland's said he's looking at players who'll be around for the 2015 World Cup and that's what's probably counted against him.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Dragon Lewis Evans called up to Wales squad for Australia game Empty Re: Dragon Lewis Evans called up to Wales squad for Australia game

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Agree re. Adam Jones. He must have had a great pre-season as he seems like he's bulked up a bit. Certainly he seems more powerful and quicker, and is getting over the gain line more than before. Perhpas he sneaked in with the Welsh squad to the Poland camp?!

I also agree with the policy re. the world cup. I like the 4 year world cup cycle. The Lions messes it up a bit from a development point of view, but I do think that the Wales team should start afresh now, get in new coaches or secure good ones for another 4 year cycle (like they've done with Edwards and Howley), and clear out the players who won't be around. Obviously, injuries or a lack of form for those who will be around means that we could still pick the oldies, but I'm firmly in the camp that we should only be choosing those who will be around in 4 years time.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:30 pm

After Thursdays performance it is no surprise. Great young player with an awesome role model in Lydiate.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:50 pm

Well done Lewis Evans ! thumbsup Stormer of a game on Thursday night.

Are any of our selected Internationals avaliable for games before the Oz game then ? Erm
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:52 pm

It's a preliminary squad so some players will be released to play this weekend, I think.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:00 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:It's a preliminary squad so some players will be released to play this weekend, I think.

Cool, may have a few key players back for Turks game then depending on injury
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:17 pm

They'll be missing their internationals too. We really need to win this one. Eleventh in the table is not a good place to be, even at this stage of the season.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:24 pm

I agree, we had a horrible start to season mind - our hardest away games and were missing a few players too.

But we have Thomas back now, Harries won't be long and other players are stepping up nicely.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:34 pm

It was a tough start to the season, but on the other hand Munster and Leinster had so many more internationals away than we did and it was a great chance to get away wins over there. But at least those fixtures are out of the way now!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:05 pm

he was immense on thursday, i hardly noticed lydiate wasnt there and i really rate lydiate

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:03 pm

He was due to be involved few seasons back but we had that HC play off which clashed with the NA tour I think, then he got few injuries and Dan and Toby really came through.

Even though it was a surprise am really glad for him, like has been said he's covered 6, 7 and 8 for and with Turnbull and McCusker injured and Powell not allowed off then glad we gone for him as opposed to going back to JT.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:16 pm

Its a positive and forward step for Wales..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by theskippingpig Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:13 am

A little off the subject but i did read the other day that tuilangi was supposed to be signing this week. Has this happend or is it another Western Mail story that does'nt devlop??

theskippingpig

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:25 am

Thursday is Tuilangi Thursday apparently.

I won't believe he signed for us until hes wearing our shirt and knocking on the ball Very Happy
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:41 am

I hadn't heard anything about the Tuilagi deal for a while so I assumed it had fallen through. I have to admit I don't think I've ever seen him play.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:05 am

It's all down to Visas and work permits apparently.

Though that didn't stop his Brother getting shipped home when England wanted him to play though = Whistle Smile
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by theskippingpig Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:25 am

Not seen a great deal of him i was just hoping that he could provide a bit of bulk going forward in the midfield, as this is something that I think is badly needed.

theskippingpig

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:40 am

Yes its visa and work permit issues. I heard he was in France with his brother training and keeping himself fit.

Oh and a big congratulations to Lewis, fully deserved. Dragons seem to be a conveyor belt of back rows supplying the Welsh set up at the moment.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:22 pm

munkian wrote:It's all down to Visas and work permits apparently.

Though that didn't stop his Brother getting shipped home when England wanted him to play though = Whistle Smile
I dont think the Welsh assembly are allowed to grant passports like the RFU [sorry my mistake] British Government are.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:23 pm

Good news for Evans - he's playing well, but whose he in place of? I thought they would have called up A Jones as lock cover. Still it's good experience for a very good player and can only benefit Wales, might just leave the Dragons a bit short...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:53 pm

Priest,

With Lydiate and Charteris carrying knocks and McCusker and Turnbull out cos of injury I guess he there as cover for all them and if R Jones goes into 2nd row.

That and experience of being in squad
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down