The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales 28 man squad for Australia

+22
Luckless Pedestrian
XR
irnbrew
flyhalffactory
TycroesOsprey
gavstar
bedfordwelsh
SubsBench
Knowsit17
Gatts
Turkster
Smirnoffpriest
slartibartfast
GavinDragon
Morgannwg
Impossible Standards
Draigoch
Harry2899
munkian
doctornickolas
maestegmafia
wales606
26 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Wales 28 man squad for Australia Empty Wales 28 man squad for Australia

Post by wales606 Sun Nov 20 2011, 13:36

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/15809004.stm

Wales coach Warren Gatland has named eight injured players in a 28-man squad for Australia's visit to the Millennium Stadium on 3 December.

Backs Jamie Roberts, George North, Rhys Preistland and Leigh Halfpenny are included despite fitness doubts.

So too are forwards Dan Lydiate, Adam Jones, Luke Charteris and Huw Bennett.

Pre-World Cup captain Matthew Rees returns after injury, but Sam Warburton retains the captaincy for a match that will end Shane Williams' Wales career.

Forwards: Gethin Jenkins, Adam Jones, Ryan Bevington, Scott Andrews, Lloyd Burns, Huw Bennett, Matthew Rees, Bradley Davies, Luke Charteris, Ian Evans, Sam Warburton (captain), Dan Lydiate, Justin Tipuric, Lewis Evans, Toby Faletau, Ryan Jones

Backs: Tavis Knoyle, Lloyd Williams, Rhys Priestland, Dan Biggar, Jamie Roberts, Jonathan Davies, Scott Williams, Shane Williams, George North, Alex Cuthbert, Leigh Halfpenny, Liam Williams

Good squad, especially if players can return from injury.

Return to the squad for Ian Evans and Dan Biggar

Newcomers are wingers Alex Cuthbert, Liam Williams and flanker Lewis Evans

Interesting to see that Brew is left out, as is Ken Owens and Jason Tovey

Last edited by wales606 on Sun Nov 20 2011, 13:49; edited 1 time in total
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Wales 28 man squad for Australia Empty Re: Wales 28 man squad for Australia

Post by Guest Sun Nov 20 2011, 13:40

Liam Williams!! Blydi hell I know he's been playing well but that's a big surprise. Can see him getting time at FB. Chuffed for Sanjay, but a bit gutted as a Scarlet! everytime we find a new star, Wales pinch them away from us.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Nov 20 2011, 13:41

Great squad...!

Very happy to see Cuthbert and Liam Williams included.

Though incredibly surprised to see Biggar included ahead of Tovey.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Nov 20 2011, 13:42

rugbydreamer wrote:, but a bit gutted as a Scarlet! everytime we find a new star, Wales pinch them away from us.

That's how it works...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 20 2011, 13:44

yes but we really could have done with Sanjay over the next couple of games when we'd already be missing North, Tav, Rhys, Foxy and Scott. We shall just have to unearth another one I guess!

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Nov 20 2011, 13:48

rugbydreamer wrote:Liam Williams!! Blydi hell I know he's been playing well but that's a big surprise. Can see him getting time at FB. Chuffed for Sanjay, but a bit gutted as a Scarlet! everytime we find a new star, Wales pinch them away from us.

Im not that surprised...

1. He did well in the HC, which is pretty close to international level
2. He is young, Gatland loves throwing in young wingers (see G.North, L.Halfpenny, K.Phillips, T.Prydie etc)
3. He plays fullback, we have nobody else who can play fullback bar Halfpenny.

Personally I think its good to see that Gatland is still looking to the young generation as he looks to fill in gaps in the squad.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Sun Nov 20 2011, 13:55

Is this the end of Stephen Jones's Wales career ??

Not named for this game and Gatland has stated that he is now looking at 2015 and anyone not likely to be around will not be considered.

Is this the right approach? Or if someone is considered in the top 2 or 3 players then should they be in the squad regardless?

Bit concerned with the number of injuries we have picked up. 8 of this 28 squad are doubtful with injuries on top of all the other unavailable players.

Could be a difficult afternoon especially as Australia will only have a couple of players missing.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 20 2011, 14:00

It could be, but it's also a chance to see how even more young players cope in the environment.

Wales606 - aye maybe not a surprise, perhaps a bit of wishful thinking on my part. It is fully deserved though, Sanjay's been on great form for us this season.

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Nov 20 2011, 14:02

doctornickolas wrote:Is this the end of Stephen Jones's Wales career ??

Not named for this game and Gatland has stated that he is now looking at 2015 and anyone not likely to be around will not be considered.

Is this the right approach? Or if someone is considered in the top 2 or 3 players then should they be in the squad regardless?

Bit concerned with the number of injuries we have picked up. 8 of this 28 squad are doubtful with injuries on top of all the other unavailable players.

Could be a difficult afternoon especially as Australia will only have a couple of players missing.

Aus are missing a fair few player, hopefully, most of the injured players will be fit (AWJ is the only one who has no chance)

SJ has been freed by Wales to play for the Baabaas (if the Scarlets release him) - SJ wont make the next WC and we need to look for long term deputies for Priestland. The only problem is that there is now less experience in the squad, Preistland learnt a lot off SJ with the Scarlets and Wales.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sun Nov 20 2011, 14:11

Biggar ? Really ? He's far too inconsistent and doesn't handle pressure well. He looked like a jealous child when Morgan sorted over that brilliant penalty to draw the game for the Os. Tovey or Morgan should've been given a chance , don't know what Gats is thinking steam
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Wales 28 man squad for Australia Empty Wales Squad v Australia 3/12/11

Post by Harry2899 Sun Nov 20 2011, 14:17

I have just sold my ticket for this game for less than face value after seeing the squad. I think it's a really good squad in the main. I'm really pleased we've gone down the Liam Williams and Cuthbert route rather than Brew and Tom James for example. Why I sold my ticket however is Dan Biggar's selection. I cannot bring myself to support a team with him in it. He makes Dan Parks look talented. He is so bad it's untrue. Just when Wales look like thay are going to do something they handicap themselves. Steffan Jones and Jason Tovey are pushing each other to the limit to be selected at the Dragons atm and both are neglected for Biggar. In a friendly game to help us develop! Outrageous decision. I bet Gatland is itching to promote him ahed of Priestland too.

Harry2899

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Nov 20 2011, 14:23

munkian wrote:Biggar ? Really ? He's far too inconsistent and doesn't handle pressure well. He looked like a jealous child when Morgan sorted over that brilliant penalty to draw the game for the Os. Tovey or Morgan should've been given a chance , don't know what Gats is thinking steam

Biggar is being given another chance, but to be honest, I cant see him handling it well - Tovey could adapt easily to international rugby, but we dont know, because Gatland has never played him.

The problem is that Tovey isnt a great place kicker (perhaps Halfpenny can take over?)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 20 2011, 14:25

Tovey's a great place kicker I thought? I know he had a dodgy start to last season, but that was due to him adjusting his kicking technique isn't it?
Kicking is usually one of the strongest parts to his game I always thought.

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Nov 20 2011, 14:31

rugbydreamer wrote:Tovey's a great place kicker I thought? I know he had a dodgy start to last season, but that was due to him adjusting his kicking technique isn't it?
Kicking is usually one of the strongest parts to his game I always thought.

He is a bit shaky and his place kicking can be poor

His kicking from hand is excellent though - when on form he is the best tactical kicker in Wales.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 20 2011, 14:33

hmm well since he reverted back to his old kicking technique, I can't recall his place kicking being poor at all. Will have to watch him more closely.

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Nov 20 2011, 14:35

rugbydreamer wrote:hmm well since he reverted back to his old kicking technique, I can't recall his place kicking being poor at all. Will have to watch him more closely.

To be honest, Priestland's place kicking wasnt great either - although it has improved under Neil Jenkins.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 20 2011, 14:40

no it hasnt! Preistland came back from his first stint int he Wales camp, with a new kicking technique and he was dire! Priestland is as ever a confidence kicker. if he gets his first couple, then he's good to go. Difference now is that he doesn't wobble so much if he misses one. He's maturing well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Sun Nov 20 2011, 14:48

Headscratch

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Sun Nov 20 2011, 15:00

Toveys place kicking is usualy good. Like mentioned he messed around with his technique to try and increase distance on kicks but because he was injured during last pre season he had to try it out as the seaosn was underway. This year he is getting back to his best.

He looked like a jealous child when Morgan sorted over that brilliant penalty to draw the game for the Os.

Can some Ospreys fans shed some light on this, because I thought the same thing when I watched the highlights on S4C. Unless it was just the way the clip was edited? Was Biggar annoyed he was taken off or something?

Gutted Brew has been omitted. He played really well against Perp and he would have been familiar with all the structures and calls from his time at the WC. I think he is better than Cuthbert, not saying Cuthbert is bad just I would prefer Brew in my side over him.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun Nov 20 2011, 15:02

Scott Andrews, Tavis Knoyle and Dan Biggar - why, just why? Headscratch

Deserved call-ups for Ian Evans, Alex Cuthbert, Liam Williams and Lewis Evans. Note that I said in the last week all 4 would get called into the squad.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Sun Nov 20 2011, 15:04

Although I agree with what your saying in terms of player selection, Brew omitted??? there's still 21 other players involved in that game you could go along and support! Add together some beer, great atmosphere and you could have a ruddy good time! thumbsup
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Sun Nov 20 2011, 15:23

Impossible Standards wrote:
He looked like a jealous child when Morgan sorted over that brilliant penalty to draw the game for the Os.

Can some Ospreys fans shed some light on this, because I thought the same thing when I watched the highlights on S4C. Unless it was just the way the clip was edited? Was Biggar annoyed he was taken off or something?

I don't think he was too happy about it, which to be honest - is kind of fair enough. It was a bizarre choice to let Morgan have his HC debut in a last 10mins of a must-win game. He hadn't been playing that badly, and we were looking just as good with him as we were without him. He's been playing well this season and has all of the attributes to be a top 10 - perhaps just needs a few games like Priestland did to show it.

Lets not forget:
-He played 10 when the Ospreys won the ML, going away and winning in Dublin in the final.
-Man of the Match performances in the HC, noticeably when we went to Welford Road and got a draw.
-Still only 22!

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Sun Nov 20 2011, 15:26

Morgannwg wrote:Scott Andrews, Tavis Knoyle and Dan Biggar - why, just why? Headscratch

Deserved call-ups for Ian Evans, Alex Cuthbert, Liam Williams and Lewis Evans. Note that I said in the last week all 4 would get called into the squad.

Scott Andrews - Adam has a niggle, Mitchell in England and James out injured. Who else will play tighthead?

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun Nov 20 2011, 15:26

also gutted at brew being ommitted, whats the guy done wrong? surprised at lewis evans, but another positive for the dragons as a region! also surprised by the number of injured players included, if players start dropping out who will replace them?

Adam Jones (calf) - rhys thomas?
Huw Bennett (neck) - ken owens?
Luke Charteris (wrist) - ???
Dan Lydiate (ankle) - mccusker?
Rhys Priestland (shoulder) - tovey
Jamie Roberts (knee) - hewitt?
George North (groin) - tom james?
Leigh Halfpenny (ankle) - ???

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Sun Nov 20 2011, 15:29

It's a one off, so we need onl y worry about the 22...

Adam Jones (calf) - Scott Andrews
Huw Bennett (neck) - Mathew Rees
Luke Charteris (wrist) - Bradley Davies
Dan Lydiate (ankle) - Ryan Jones
Rhys Priestland (shoulder) - Dan Biggar
Jamie Roberts (knee) - Scott Williams
George North (groin) - Alex Cuthbert
Leigh Halfpenny (ankle) - Liam Williams

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun Nov 20 2011, 15:32

fair point draigoch, was just wondering who people would like to see brought into the squad if injuries occur

oh and if north pulls out id like to see brew re-instated

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Sun Nov 20 2011, 15:34

Agreed RE: Brew, and I would like Tovey to be given a shot too...
All in good time I suppose.

I always worry about the full-back position - haven't seen much of Liam Williams, has he shown the levels of composure needed to be a fullback at international level?

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sun Nov 20 2011, 15:34

To be honest , I'm glad the Dragons get to keep Brew if the Welsh camp don't appreciate his talents we certainly do
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun Nov 20 2011, 15:35

from what i saw of the highlights of the scarlets two h cup games hes playing very well

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Sun Nov 20 2011, 15:38

If worst comes to worst, and we lose all our players...we could be fielding...

Jenkins
Rees
Andrews
Davies
Evans
Jones
Warburton
Faletau

Williams
Biggar

Davies
Williams

Williams
Curthbert
Williams

I would worry for that side...

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sun Nov 20 2011, 16:11

Draigoch wrote: If worst comes to worst, and we lose all our players...we could be fielding...

Jenkins
Rees
Andrews
Davies
Evans
Jones
Warburton
Faletau

Williams
Biggar

Davies
Williams

Williams
Curthbert
Williams

Bradley needs to go up one notch - looked good for the blues since WC
Ian Evans - I would dearly love this guy to prove himself - may benefit from just being in the squad
Scott Andews - eek
Gethin - needs a stormer
matthew rees - will benefit from playing a chunky Saints front row
Ryan Jones - playing more like a 7 than a 6 - hmmm....
Toby - come on my boy
Warbs - time for redemption
Lloyd Williams - would be my first choice anyway

The rest of the backs look a bit light in experience and class
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Nov 20 2011, 16:17

Draigoch wrote: If worst comes to worst, and we lose all our players...we could be fielding...

Jenkins
Rees
Andrews
Davies
Evans
Jones
Warburton
Faletau

Williams
Biggar

Davies
Williams

Williams
Curthbert
Williams

If Tovey was in instead of Biggar I would worry less.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Nov 20 2011, 16:19

Jenkins
Rees
Andrews
Davies
Evans
Jones
Warburton
Faletau

Williams
Biggar

Davies
Williams

Williams
Curthbert
Williams

I'd only worry about Biggar and Andrews
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun Nov 20 2011, 16:28

Very disappointed for Brew and Tovey, def think they should have been in the squad. Very suprised Gats has chosen so many doubtful players - he must be sure that the injuries aren't that bad.

It's going to be a blow for the Scarlets loosing Liam Williams on top of S WIlliams, J Davies and Knoyle - I just hope Gats doesn't treat him like Prydie/Phillips.

Think (and can't believe I'm saying this) I'd be more comfortable with R Thomas in the team than Andrews

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sun Nov 20 2011, 17:00

I don't understand why he keeps picking Knoyle, he's in some terrible form at the moment, Wayne Evans could have been brought in on the bench, Lloyd Williams is the certain starter anyhow.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Nov 20 2011, 17:02

Or Webb. Thought he did well in Treviso.

I like knoyle, when he's on form

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sun Nov 20 2011, 17:04

do you often refuse to go if you don't like who the coach picks? also Steffan Jones ahead of Biggar? Tovey I can understand, but Steffan Jones, really?

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun Nov 20 2011, 17:11

There's only 2 reasons I can think of - 1. He want's SH in there who has at least some int. experience - which Webb and Evans haven't got
and
2. Gatts likes picking the same players and likes to ignore others (Tovey/W Evans)

But saying that I do like Knoyle and think he brings a lot to the table - just at the moment he is in some terrible form

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sun Nov 20 2011, 17:18

Gatts like to bring in one or 2 new players at a time

4 new players this time and you can expect 2 to figure, Ian Evans and Alex Cuthbert

Cuthbert and North on the wings makes my gussett tingle

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Nov 20 2011, 17:19

Gatts wrote:Gatts like to bring in one or 2 new players at a time

4 new players this time and you can expect 2 to figure, Ian Evans and Alex Cuthbert

Cuthbert and North on the wings makes my gussett tingle

With Roberts and JD2 in the centres Wink - They wont know who to tackle...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Nov 20 2011, 17:21

Smirnoffpriest wrote:There's only 2 reasons I can think of - 1. He want's SH in there who has at least some int. experience - which Webb and Evans haven't got
and
2. Gatts likes picking the same players and likes to ignore others (Tovey/W Evans)

But saying that I do like Knoyle and think he brings a lot to the table - just at the moment he is in some terrible form

Knoyle hasn't played enough to gain any form. Two and a half games since last season?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Nov 20 2011, 17:38

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Matthew Rees
3. Adam Jones
4. Bradley Davies
5. Luke Charteris
6. Dan Lydiate
7. Sam Warburton
8. Toby Faletau
9. Lloyd Williams
10. Rhys Preistland
11. Shane Williams
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Jonathon Davies
14. George North
15. Leigh Halfpenny

16. Ryan Bevington
17. Huw Bennett
18. Ian Evans
19. Ryan Jones
20. Tavis Knoyle
21. Scott Williams
22. Alex Cuthbert

Not a bad team... Very Happy
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sun Nov 20 2011, 17:42

Biggar has had his chance before, this is his last one and better he be tried out now than in the 6Nations

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry2899 Sun Nov 20 2011, 18:06

No Turkster, not usually but this selection is a more than one man being selected. It shows a lack of ambition, a lack of sense, a lack of ruthlessness from the coach. It shows that you can play well for the Dragons or you can be rubbish but a darling at the ospreys and you'll be picked. Webb and Beck both at the ospreys should have been picked, but no it's Biggar.

On Steffan Jones. I get it. You dont see him much, he's young, he's struggling to breakthrough because Tovey is the poster boy for every Dragons campaign from selling shirts to selling tickets, but I see talent. And I want it being developed. If Steffan Jones was Australian they'd bring him on to be a James O'Connor. We will however turn him into a Matthew Jones. Lost.

Harry2899

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun Nov 20 2011, 18:07

Draigoch wrote:
Scott Andrews - Adam has a niggle, Mitchell in England and James out injured. Who else will play tighthead?

Would have opted for the mobile prop in Rhys Thomas. Or Aaron Jarvis who has looked very impressive whilst deputising for Adam Jones. Both players who have strengths to their game. What does Scott Andrews bring? He's probably the worst player in Wales since Sowden-Taylor.

Glad I'm not the only one to think this anyway. Wayne Evans or Rhys Webb, both in fine form. Scott Andrews can't do f*ck all and Biggar can't get his backline to go forward, so resorts to kicking it down field or drop-kicking it at goal and missing. These decisions do make you wonder.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Nov 20 2011, 18:18

Harry2899 wrote: If Steffan Jones was Australian they'd bring him on to be a James O'Connor. We will however turn him into a Matthew Jones. Lost.

That make very little sense?

Alex Cuthbert and Liam Williams have both been included and are both very young and promising.

Just because one youngster who has had little regional gametime and is not first choice at 15 or 10 for the big games doesn't get selected for Wales doesnt mean he is going to become Matthew Jones. JOC was first choice for his club before he became first choice for Australia (as was North for the Scarlets and Cuthbert for the Blues - and at the moment, Liam for the Scarlets)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Nov 20 2011, 18:20

Gatland wants to win this game, so I doubt Biggar will be coming off the bench if Preistland still has one working leg.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry2899 Sun Nov 20 2011, 18:36

[quote="wales606"]
Harry2899 wrote: If Steffan Jones was Australian they'd bring him on to be a James O'Connor. We will however turn him into a Matthew Jones. Lost.

That make very little sense?

Alex Cuthbert and Liam Williams have both been included and are both very young and promising.

I praised the selections of Cuthbert and Williams. And how does it make no sense about Steffan Jones? Dragons clearly have two good fly halves. Cardiff have none. WRU needs to step in, send Parks home and Steffan Jones can play for the Blues.

Harry2899

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun Nov 20 2011, 18:55

What does Scott Andrews bring? He's probably the worst player in Wales since Sowden-Taylor.

I'm guessing he brings decent scrummaging, can't say for certain but if there's one textbook knee-jerk reaction it's comparing Andrews to RST. The problem here doesn't lie in performances nearly as woeful, it's the fact that Andrews has barely played at all. He's never been first choice at the Blues therefore nobody can really draw a solid conclusion on him for the time being. I agree though, I would have considered bringing Rhys Thomas instead.

The more Adam Jones is absent, the more it becomes clear he's the foundation of the scrum. Very under-appreciated recently, in that regard I'd say he's still the best scrummaging tighthead in Europe if not in world rugby. When he's not around we've been royally fooked up front. Somebody is going to have to step up in his place, that is one of the single most important objectives starting from now up to 2015.

Agree with Gatland's selections, can't see all of the 8 injured missing out, once they get training it'll be more clear how realistic their hopes are and leave time to replace those who can't make it.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sun Nov 20 2011, 19:00

Harry2899 wrote:No Turkster, not usually but this selection is a more than one man being selected. It shows a lack of ambition, a lack of sense, a lack of ruthlessness from the coach. It shows that you can play well for the Dragons or you can be rubbish but a darling at the ospreys and you'll be picked. Webb and Beck both at the ospreys should have been picked, but no it's Biggar.

On Steffan Jones. I get it. You dont see him much, he's young, he's struggling to breakthrough because Tovey is the poster boy for every Dragons campaign from selling shirts to selling tickets, but I see talent. And I want it being developed. If Steffan Jones was Australian they'd bring him on to be a James O'Connor. We will however turn him into a Matthew Jones. Lost.

I've seen Steffan Jones play, against Wasps the other week he looked good, but that was against a Wasps team without their world cup players, his other good performances were at full-back at the end of last season. While I acknowledge he looks a very good prospect and I also don't particularly like Dan Biggar, I can't see why he should get in ahead of Biggar or Tovey in the Wales reckoning. Steffan Jones going to Cardiff isn't possible until next season anyway and what if neither party wants it? As for Gatland's perceived lack of ambition, what about Liam Williams being selected after just 2 games at fullback?

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next