The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales 28 man squad for Australia

+22
Luckless Pedestrian
XR
irnbrew
flyhalffactory
TycroesOsprey
gavstar
bedfordwelsh
SubsBench
Knowsit17
Gatts
Turkster
Smirnoffpriest
slartibartfast
GavinDragon
Morgannwg
Impossible Standards
Draigoch
Harry2899
munkian
doctornickolas
maestegmafia
wales606
26 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Wales 28 man squad for Australia - Page 3 Empty Wales 28 man squad for Australia

Post by wales606 Sun 20 Nov 2011, 1:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/15809004.stm

Wales coach Warren Gatland has named eight injured players in a 28-man squad for Australia's visit to the Millennium Stadium on 3 December.

Backs Jamie Roberts, George North, Rhys Preistland and Leigh Halfpenny are included despite fitness doubts.

So too are forwards Dan Lydiate, Adam Jones, Luke Charteris and Huw Bennett.

Pre-World Cup captain Matthew Rees returns after injury, but Sam Warburton retains the captaincy for a match that will end Shane Williams' Wales career.

Forwards: Gethin Jenkins, Adam Jones, Ryan Bevington, Scott Andrews, Lloyd Burns, Huw Bennett, Matthew Rees, Bradley Davies, Luke Charteris, Ian Evans, Sam Warburton (captain), Dan Lydiate, Justin Tipuric, Lewis Evans, Toby Faletau, Ryan Jones

Backs: Tavis Knoyle, Lloyd Williams, Rhys Priestland, Dan Biggar, Jamie Roberts, Jonathan Davies, Scott Williams, Shane Williams, George North, Alex Cuthbert, Leigh Halfpenny, Liam Williams

Good squad, especially if players can return from injury.

Return to the squad for Ian Evans and Dan Biggar

Newcomers are wingers Alex Cuthbert, Liam Williams and flanker Lewis Evans

Interesting to see that Brew is left out, as is Ken Owens and Jason Tovey

Last edited by wales606 on Sun 20 Nov 2011, 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Wales 28 man squad for Australia - Page 3 Empty Re: Wales 28 man squad for Australia

Post by maestegmafia Mon 21 Nov 2011, 5:31 pm

Warren Gatland Wales Coach wrote:"If those exiled players can't get full release for the Six Nations then they won't be selected," said Gatland.

Looks like Wales will not be picking any players based outside of Wales for the Six Nations.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales 28 man squad for Australia - Page 3 Empty Re: Wales 28 man squad for Australia

Post by Turkster Mon 21 Nov 2011, 5:34 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Warren Gatland Wales Coach wrote:"If those exiled players can't get full release for the Six Nations then they won't be selected," said Gatland.

Looks like Wales will not be picking any players based outside of Wales for the Six Nations.

.......if they can't get released.

But what does he mean by 'full release'?

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 21 Nov 2011, 5:39 pm

Gatland wants all players 13 days before the 4th of feb for training and conditioning.

French clubs don't have to release so may not, and the PRL will definitely not release players.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Mon 21 Nov 2011, 5:45 pm

Mike Phillips will be a big loss and er, well that's about it really.

Just heard Rhodri Jones has been called up to replace Adam Jones, 1st Scarlets prop to get called up since............well since who? Iestyn Thomas perhaps.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 21 Nov 2011, 5:51 pm

Turkster, I disagree that Mike Phillips will be a big loss. He's an experienced scrum half, yes, but I'm sick and tired of his dilly-dallying when the ball's right there for him. I can't wait to see what Lloyd Williams can do for Wales from the start of a match rather than as a sub.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Nov 2011, 6:04 pm

wow, chuffed for Rhodri Jones, Scarlet 20yr old prop has been drafted into the Wales squad http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/20239.php

He's in to replace Adam Jones, he can play either side, but only started playing tight head for the Scarlets this season.

(p.s I am horrified as to how they've spelt Aberystwyth on the WRU website!)

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 21 Nov 2011, 6:05 pm

"Rhodri is an impressive youngster who can play on both sides of the scrum and is definitely one for the future in terms of our long term planning towards the 2015 Rugby World Cup," said Wales assistant coach (forwards) Robin McBryde

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Nov 2011, 6:07 pm

Turkster wrote: Mike Phillips will be a big loss and er, well that's about it really.

Just heard Rhodri Jones has been called up to replace Adam Jones, 1st Scarlets prop to get called up since............well since who? Iestyn Thomas perhaps.

I know it's been ages since we've had one called up isn't it? I don't think Rhys T was with us when he got his Wales call up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 21 Nov 2011, 6:07 pm

Good news for him, but it is actually a disgrace that they've spelt Aberystwyth wrong. Seriously.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 21 Nov 2011, 6:27 pm

Didnt know Aberystwyth was such a struggle...?

Anyhow great news and much deserved, though I think he has been far more a loosehead than a tighthead

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Nov 2011, 6:39 pm

he has Maes, i've been nervous every time we've brought him on at tight head this season, although fair play to him, he held his own against Castres the other week there.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 21 Nov 2011, 6:47 pm

true...!

Shame Simon Gardiner hasnt had a good one yet this season... He looked very good last year...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Nov 2011, 6:48 pm

attitude problems apparently Maes. He's got all the attributes, just needs to apply himself better.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 21 Nov 2011, 6:53 pm

Really?

Wow that is a surprise. What a shame

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Nov 2011, 6:58 pm

Aye, only rumours, but it would explain why he's not playing for the Scarlets and why Rhodri is being picked at tight head instead. Really hope he works hard though because he was absolutely brilliant at some points of last season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Messymesina Mon 21 Nov 2011, 7:08 pm

It seems madness to me to pick Rhodri Jones ahead of Rhys Thomas.

I wonder if Gatland has thought about using Gethin Jenkins at tight head?

Messymesina

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:07 pm

irnbrew wrote:
Bedford you stated if all fit you would play Ryan Jones before Lydiate are you serious

Munkian,

Doh thats very bad basic error I made
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:21 pm

anyone know the state of the Australian squad? isn't it also a bit of a mess also?

I was looking forward to this game but it's begging to feel a damp squib already.
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:25 pm

Messymesina wrote:It seems madness to me to pick Rhodri Jones ahead of Rhys Thomas.

Really?

Gatland has stated he is already thinking about the next RWC, he wants to build on what he has got. We need to give young props experience, they need to learn their trade, we need them to be better.

Rhys Thomas is a great warhorse for the Scarlets but what would we gain by playing him when Adam and Craig aren't fit or available? When we could develop young guys to replace them.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Messymesina Mon 21 Nov 2011, 9:15 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Messymesina wrote:It seems madness to me to pick Rhodri Jones ahead of Rhys Thomas.

Really?

Gatland has stated he is already thinking about the next RWC, he wants to build on what he has got. We need to give young props experience, they need to learn their trade, we need them to be better.

Rhys Thomas is a great warhorse for the Scarlets but what would we gain by playing him when Adam and Craig aren't fit or available? When we could develop young guys to replace them.

I am happy for Rhodri Jones to train with the squad, however, I IMHO Rhys Thomas is the best available tight head we have. Gatland's first duty is to pick a team capable of beating Australia. It's up to the regions to develop the talent, not Gatland.

Messymesina

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 21 Nov 2011, 9:20 pm

Gatland obviously sees it differently.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 22 Nov 2011, 12:40 pm

According to Argus the Gatland reckons pretty much everyone should be fit to face the Aussies.

NEWPORT Gwent Dragons pair Luke Charteris and Dan Lydiate are both expected to be fit to play for Wales in their return fixture against Australia at the Millennium Stadium on December 3.

Dragons captain Charteris hasn’t played since the World Cup because of a damaged wrist suffered in the opening game against South Africa, while Lydiate lasted barely half-an-hour on his return against Cavalieri Prato.

They are among eight players picked in the 28-man squad to prepare for the Australia match who are currently sidelined, but Wales coach Warren Gatland believes they will all be fit with the exception of tight head prop Adam Jones.

The Ospreys prop, who has proved indispensible to Wales, has suffered a recurrence of his calf injury which will almost certainly mean a call-up for Cardiff Blues tight head Scott Andrews against the Wallabies, with another prop due to be named for the squad.

But Gatland had better news about the Dragons pair plus Leigh Halfpenny, George North, Jamie Roberts, Rhys Priestland, and Huw Bennett.

“They should all be fit,” he said, though he added that he felt Charteris could well need an operation on his wrist, similar to the one Roberts had, at some time in the near future.

“Luke has had an injection and is feeling better, he couldn’t hold a cup last week, but he should be fit to train next week. And Dan is looking all right as well, he should be able to train next week, too,” added Gatland
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 22 Nov 2011, 12:51 pm

If Luke needs another op on his wrist then surely it would be more sensible to have it now and miss the Oz game and he'd hopefully recover in time for the 6N than play a meaningless derby against Oz and mean being away from the dragons for the 3 weeks? prep for this game and then for anytime he may be out if he re-injures his wrist, and then being away again while having surgery on the wrist.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 22 Nov 2011, 12:55 pm

Absolutely right, Smirnoff.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 22 Nov 2011, 12:56 pm

I agree. Country becomes before club it seems
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 22 Nov 2011, 1:02 pm

Kind of similar to when Gatts played an already injured North against the All Blacks and as a result he needed shoulder surgery - meaning he has still played more international games than regional games.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Tue 22 Nov 2011, 1:34 pm

Same with Roberts too when he injured his wrist during a season and played on, leaving the op until the summer, in a season where he was called on poor form. He later said he hadn't been performing to his Lions standard because he couldn't use an effective hand off because of his wrist.

Makes you wonder whether it's worth playing through and risk worsening the injury or just missing the games and getting it fixed. Whistle

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 22 Nov 2011, 1:42 pm

I've said it before, we could do without this fixture.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Nov 2011, 1:45 pm

I am in complete agreement with you Lucky.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 22 Nov 2011, 2:01 pm

+1

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 22 Nov 2011, 2:02 pm

Though for my sins I probably will end up going to the match as there's a ticket being sold for £25 in work (and I won't have to give a penny to those skanks at Ticketmaster!)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 22 Nov 2011, 9:39 pm

Personally I wouldn't risk anyone who us less than fully fit, if they need rest or op the get it out of way ready for 6 Nations
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 22 Nov 2011, 10:26 pm

I am sure that players injured wont be risked. I think that Gatland has picked players that are injured, though possibly able to get fit, with the hope that they will be fit in time.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 22 Nov 2011, 10:58 pm

Hope ur right mm, he obviously has to have a look at a different T/head but I hope he then goes for Evans as opposed to risking Charteris and Jones or Evans instead of risking Lydiate etc
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:04 pm

We will have to wait and see... They may well pull through under the watchful eye of the WRU medics. The ones who did so well with Lydiate during the RWC

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed 23 Nov 2011, 1:26 am

Welsh national medic : yeah he's fine, legs a bit bent that's all, just needs to man up and take some aspirin

Welsh regional medic : that's a complex compound fracture of the tibia, he'll be out for 6 months

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Wed 23 Nov 2011, 9:41 am

The regions are producing so many youngsters now that not everyone is going to get picked.

All I hope for is that the regions start clearing out the old age foreigners and start selecting these kids on a regular basis.

At the Blues there's the likes of Filise, Tito, Rush, Parks and Molitika who can all go at the end of the season and lets start giving these guys some opportunities. The only way they will improve is to play week in week out.

Interesting to hear Jamie Roberts say that other than the retiring Shane, he is the oldest back in the squad at the grand old age of 25!!!

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 23 Nov 2011, 11:07 am

Wow thats interesting Roberts oldest at 25...!

Mind you, he may well be the oldest in the side come Dec 4th I am sure that Geth and Smiler will pick up injuries, they must be his only seniors?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 23 Nov 2011, 12:50 pm

Don't forget Ryan - he must be in his late 20's now.

I am suprised at that stat though - shows how many youngsters there are in the team.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 23 Nov 2011, 1:18 pm

Its great, yes of course Ryan Jones must be older, forgot about him.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 23 Nov 2011, 4:35 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Its great, yes of course Ryan Jones must be older, forgot about him.

Ryan Jones is 30, Gethin is 31, Rees is 30 (almost 31) and A.Jones is 30.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:30 am

So there we go, thats the Aussie team we are about to play. Just put 49 unanswered points on the Baa Baas yesterday. Their highest win of the BBs.

Mind you the Baa Baas always seem to be more up for the ABs or Boks. They have never beaten the Wallabies before, but taken the ABs twice and the Bok a couple of times.

THought the Australians looked good, very good. Tighter in the pack than the Baa Baas and very creative at halfback. As we all know very well that this Aussie team have some fantastic outside backs Barnes and Ashley-Cooper looking exceptional.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:42 am

Maes the Australians did a good job yesterday but that was a very poor disinterested Baa Baas side Matfield being one of the few who put any effort into it.
Wales will ask more questions of them and if we play with the same intensity as we did in the group stages and quarters of the world cup then we will be in with a very good chance of getting a result.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:51 am

Yes I agree that Wales should make a better account of themselves than the Baa Baas.

Targeting the tight stuff will be key, Aussies looked overly confident up front, though lacking opposition.

A committed welsh defence will hopefully limit their fantastic backline.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:25 pm

Wales Assistant Coach Shaun Edwards wrote:
"Sentiment has to come into it. Just look at (rugby league great) Darren Lockyer's last game in an Australia shirt.

"The lads are going to rally round Shane and want to take him out on a win.

"They expect the people of Wales to rally round, get to the stadium to say goodbye to someone who has been a great hallmark of everything that is good about Welsh rugby.

"The first year I came and saw him play when we won the Grand Slam, I was bewildered by the standard of play he was putting out there on the pitch.

"He is undoubtedly an all-time great of the game. Shane is a symbol of hope that no matter what shape or size you are, if you are good enough and determined enough you can make it."

Shane Williams wrote:"My favourite was my first, it was one of the tries I will never forget.

"It was my second cap, we had played France the week before and one of my first touches was an interception pass to Emile Ntamack which I am sure everyone remembers.

"After that I questioned whether I was good enough to play for Wales again but I was lucky enough to be involved from the start against Italy and to score a try.

"It wasn't the most spectacular but you never forget your first and it just gave me massive confidence and it's something I will never forget."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:51 pm

So no room for Stephen Jones in the squad then.

Al though i do agre that you should give the young players a chance, i think just after the RWC you should play your older players to help the younger players along.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 27 Nov 2011, 2:17 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:So no room for Stephen Jones in the squad then.

Al though i do agre that you should give the young players a chance, i think just after the RWC you should play your older players to help the younger players along.

I think older players will be used where they are needed. I imagine that Welsh based senior players and maybe a few overseas ones may be included. But I hope to see a young squad, the young guys in welsh rugby are currently the stars of the game.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 3:51 pm

I don't think the more senior players are needed yet and apart from the Dragons game S Jones hasn't looked right since before the WC - it looked to me like he wasn't fully fit as he always seemed just behind the pace of the game.

I think if S Jones had been in the squad everyone would have been saying why are you selecting an old timer ahead of some promising youngsters...

But now just because Gats has given some youngsters a chance suddenly it's "S Jones will never be picked again and his int career is over" and "he should have retired before he was pushed" it's all rubbish.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 27 Nov 2011, 4:28 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:I don't think the more senior players are needed yet and apart from the Dragons game S Jones hasn't looked right since before the WC - it looked to me like he wasn't fully fit as he always seemed just behind the pace of the game.

I think if S Jones had been in the squad everyone would have been saying why are you selecting an old timer ahead of some promising youngsters...

But now just because Gats has given some youngsters a chance suddenly it's "S Jones will never be picked again and his int career is over" and "he should have retired before he was pushed" it's all rubbish.
Steve Jones's situation is neither rubbish nor not rubbish. He hasn't retired and doesn't appear to intend to any time soon.

Whether he will be selected again is a different matter.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 4:34 pm

I didn't say Stephen Jones' situation is rubbish - I said what some fans have been saying about him is rubbish.

I know he'll only retire when he's good and ready (or not at all) and I respect him for it, and IMO he'll be back in the 6N squad unless somehow Biggar/Tovey have absolute stomers in the meantime.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next