The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can Fish V Federer still be a good match?

+9
zaron
Jahu
Josiah Maiestas
lydian
laverfan
bogbrush
Chazfazzer
Tenez
break_in_the_fifth
13 posters

Go down

Can Fish V Federer still be a good match? Empty Can Fish V Federer still be a good match?

Post by break_in_the_fifth Tue 22 Nov 2011, 10:02 pm

I ask this question from mainly a personal point of view as that's a match I'm going to see which has kind of been rendered an exhibition I mean neither has anything to gain or lose. All the pressure and competition has been taken out of it; I'm left wondering what to make of it as a spectator. Any opinions?

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Can Fish V Federer still be a good match? Empty Re: Can Fish V Federer still be a good match?

Post by Tenez Tue 22 Nov 2011, 10:08 pm

I can swap that one with my Tsip Djoko of Friday eve! Wink

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Can Fish V Federer still be a good match? Empty Re: Can Fish V Federer still be a good match?

Post by Chazfazzer Tue 22 Nov 2011, 10:09 pm

Well, since Federer's through whatever happens, you might see him putting on a bit of a show and going for some outrageous shots. Having said that, Federer will still not be too keen on losing a) to keep a 100% record, and b) if he loses in straights and Nadal wins in straights he might go through second, which would give him a harder semi final (haven't checked this so correct me if I'm wrong!).

Fish will probably want to try and restore some pride, so I think he'll still put in 100%. It's his first WTF, and may well be his last, so I think he'll try and make the most of this match. So in answer to your question, I think it could be a great match. Fish will certainly put up more of a fight than the paltry showing Nadal gave today.

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Tue 22 Nov 2011, 10:20 pm

Sorry tenez thursday was the only day I could do and I think I'm going to be persuaded that this match is going to be good.

Thanks for the reassurance Chaz, its fun playing these speculative games with players' motives.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Tue 22 Nov 2011, 10:24 pm

Chazfazzer wrote:Fish will certainly put up more of a fight than the paltry showing Nadal gave today.

Still I wouldn't be complaining if I had been there.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Nov 2011, 10:26 pm

I think it'll still be a good match.

Fed will be relaxed and come out swinging.

Fish will want to go out in style and besides the whole tour gets pumped up when they play Roger.

I hope Roger plays to win. The ranking points will be useful. He can finish in the top 3 for the ninth consecutive year.

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Tue 22 Nov 2011, 10:28 pm

Does he get ranking points for winning?

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 22 Nov 2011, 10:29 pm

Boris seems to think it'll be El Mugro.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Nov 2011, 10:31 pm

yes 200 points per RR match

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 22 Nov 2011, 10:43 pm

Federer has motivation to win his Fish match, which gets him back to ATP #3. There is also a financial incentive (USD 120,000) to be a winner and also be an undefeated champion (USD 1,63 Million).

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Finals/2011/Results/Prize-Money-2.aspx

Correction: Federer could overtake Andy Murray as year-end No. 3 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings by winning all three of his round-robin group matches and his semi-final at The O2.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2011/11/47/London-Finals-Tuesday-Federer-Nadal.aspx

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Tue 22 Nov 2011, 10:51 pm

Ok so Fed has motivation which is good but what about Fish? I hope pride is enough of a reason to do everything he can. To be honest I haven't really seen any of his matches this year so it should be interesting.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 22 Nov 2011, 10:55 pm

Fish played better against Nadal than Tsonga.

If Federer plays the way he played today against Nadal, Fish has very little chance against Federer.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Tue 22 Nov 2011, 10:59 pm

I won't be in the least bit disappointed if Fed plays the way he did tonight Wink

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 22 Nov 2011, 10:59 pm

If Fed plays that way today against anyone no-one has very little chance indoors!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:24 pm

lydian wrote:If Fed plays that way today against anyone no-one has very little chance indoors!

Absolutely, Lydian. Amazing shot making from Federer. Cool Nadal was a bit under the weather, though. Sad

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:33 pm

Can see Fed letting Fish win if it means 'vamos Rafa'.

He's cold hearted this old shanky.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:37 pm

But that could cost $120K. I say give Fish second set then win it in 3.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:46 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Can see Fed letting Fish win if it means 'vamos Rafa'.

He's cold hearted this old shanky.

It would not be very smart from Federer. What he really wants is a Djoko Nadal semi....so he can fight v ER survivor on Sunday.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by zaron Wed 23 Nov 2011, 6:22 am

The main things left for Federer and Fish to play for are 200 ATP points and prize money.

Federer will finish top of the group, even if he loses to Fish, by virtue of his H2H against Nadal and Tsonga. (When two players are tied H2H counts before % of sets won)

Fish cannot qualify for the semis because the winner of Nadal vs Tsonga will be 2-1 (and qualify in 2nd), and Fish can at most get to 1-2.

zaron

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 23 Nov 2011, 9:22 am

It will be a good match - Federer and Fish play more attacking tennis than most on the tour, they both behave very well on Court too. Fish will want to win and Federer's history at this event shows that he puts in the effort to win his group 3-0 when the opportunity arises - Fed has a break of 1 day before playing the SF, so there's no reason to worry too much about getting over tired, and Fish isn't a baseline slugger anyway.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Wed 23 Nov 2011, 6:46 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:I ask this question from mainly a personal point of view as that's a match I'm going to see which has kind of been rendered an exhibition I mean neither has anything to gain or lose. All the pressure and competition has been taken out of it; I'm left wondering what to make of it as a spectator. Any opinions?

I have bought tickets to that session. Bit of a consolation prize as I messed up the ticketmaster thing for the Fed/Nadal match and lost the tickets before I could pay for them. Hope Fed puts on a show but not too much as he has a big weekend ahead of him. He could end up playing Djoko, Berdych or Ferrer and then maybe Nadal or Tsonga in the final.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 23 Nov 2011, 6:59 pm

Goes without saying that Fed will be very anxious to keep as many points as possible from his undefeated run here last year. He can wrestle the number 3 back from Murray.

And then going into 2012 ..... well Novak of course has mega points to defend, so 'twill indeed be fascinating to see how things might pan out for the Big Four next 12 season Cool

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 23 Nov 2011, 7:48 pm

Depends what would merit a good match?

High serving percentages, lots of winners, low UE's.

End of the day Fish would still gun for a victory given that there isn't any guarantees he will be back again next year.

I don't think Federer's level can drop. I think Fish needs to play above his level to beat Federer on a bad day.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Thu 24 Nov 2011, 8:07 am

Thanks for the comments, should be good.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 25 Nov 2011, 12:04 pm

I thought it was an ok match and tried not to be under the delusion that it was a proper competitive match. I think after the match Fed even said he was expecting to lose. Having said that I was expecting a bit more from him though I was unfairly judging him by Tuedays standards. The atmosphere was fairly neutral as you might expect with nothing really at stake. I don't think Fish played as badly as some make out though on the other thread. He actually won that second set and I guess was burning more energy in the first 2 sets retrieving Feds shots. He had a number of great return winners and some nice volleys.

I guess I can't however kid myself into thinking this was Tuesdays Fed though I guess I was hoping to see something closer. Nevertheless he did hit a nice down the line backhand pass as well as a cross court one. His movement and slice was great and his returning was better than his average 2011 level. I think if he hit his forehand as hard as on tuesday he could have had more clean winners. The example that stands out for me is at the end of the first set he took the pace right off that inside out forehand so Fish still reached it but netted it to give Fed the set.

I was also at the Tsonga match which by contrast had a much more lively and competitive atmosphere but I guess that's a different post for a different thread.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down