The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster Squad for Glasgow

+17
Manky-Flanker
Notch
Backrower678
1F'sgonnagetya!
clivemcl
Rava
Glas a du
George Carlin
The Great Aukster
WillyGilly
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
funnyExiledScot
Rory_Gallagher
rodders
red_stag
geoff998rugby
Standulstermen
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Standulstermen Wed 23 Nov 2011, 3:15 pm

Forwards
Paddy McAllister, Callum Black, Tom Court, Adam Macklin, Declan Fitzpatrick, Jerry Cronin, Andi Kyriacou, Nigel Brady, Lewis Stevenson, Johann Muller, Dan Tuohy, Tim Barker, Neil McComb, Michael McComish, Pedrie Wannenburg, Willie Faloon, Chris Henry, Robbie Diack

Backs
Paul Marshall, Ian Porter, Ian Humphreys, Paddy Jackson, Nevin Spence, Luke Marshall, Ian Whitten, Darren Cave, Craig Gilroy, Simon Danielli, Andrew Trimble, Adam D’Arcy


Despite their inclusion in the squad it seems that Court and Trimble will join Ferris and Best in being spared this one. Great to see Luke Marshall back in contention and i do hope we see him get gametime either here or agaisnt the scarlets.

from that squad (and bearing in mind most reports think Trimble and Court wont feature) i think we will go

1. Mcallister
2.Brady
3.Fitzpatrick
4. Muller
5. Tuohy
6. Diack
7. Henry
8. Wannenburg
9. Marshall.
10. Humph
11. Gilroy
12. Spence
13. Cave
14.Danielli
15. D'arcy

Standulstermen

Posts : 5451
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 23 Nov 2011, 3:44 pm

I think Kyriacou will start and if possible don't be surprised if Tereblanche is, perhaps literally parachuted Yikes , into the team - maybe on the bench

geoff998rugby

Posts : 5249
Join date : 2011-06-09
Age : 70
Location : Belfast/Ardglass

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by red_stag Wed 23 Nov 2011, 3:56 pm

How close is Niall Annett to getting a Pro 12 appearance?

Also to me your backrow are going to be knackered by the end of the season. You lack depth.

Spence at 12 doesn't work but is necessary for now.
red_stag
red_stag

Posts : 15653
Join date : 2011-05-19
Age : 35
Location : Limerick, Ireland

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by rodders Wed 23 Nov 2011, 3:57 pm

Poor old D'arcy, humph convinces him to stay in rescession hit NI instead of returning to surf the waves at bondai beach ...he singlehandedly beats Clermont and then gets elbowed out by middle aged Springbok journeyman..... Sad
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25501
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 43

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by red_stag Wed 23 Nov 2011, 4:05 pm

AGree with you Rodders
red_stag
red_stag

Posts : 15653
Join date : 2011-05-19
Age : 35
Location : Limerick, Ireland

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Standulstermen Wed 23 Nov 2011, 4:13 pm

100% agree rodders. I think McL is just a fan of low risk rugby which i find very frustrating. To my mind its a no brainer. D'arcy offers far more than any other option

Standulstermen

Posts : 5451
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by red_stag Wed 23 Nov 2011, 4:15 pm

I wouldn't say that Stand. To me McL has produced some fantastic at times high risk rugby and integrated quite a few young players into his team. He was the backs coach for Ireland when our backline was at its best.
red_stag
red_stag

Posts : 15653
Join date : 2011-05-19
Age : 35
Location : Limerick, Ireland

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 23 Nov 2011, 4:29 pm

We are stuck with Spence at 12 with no Wallace or his understudy Marshall.

I would play Faloon as well and put Henry on the bench.

Bring them all back for Scarlets

geoff998rugby

Posts : 5249
Join date : 2011-06-09
Age : 70
Location : Belfast/Ardglass

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Standulstermen Wed 23 Nov 2011, 4:31 pm

He was skills coach not backs coach Stag i think.

Its not a big criticism but i think his selections point towards him being conservative

Standulstermen

Posts : 5451
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 23 Nov 2011, 6:02 pm

Luke Marshall is included in that squad? Is he back from injury?

If so, start him at 12. Cave starting 13.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11324
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 31
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 23 Nov 2011, 7:16 pm

Glasgow team:

S Hogg; D Lemi, T Nathan, G Morrison, F Aramburu; D Weir, H Pyrgos; J Welsh, P MacArthur, M Cusack; T Ryder, A Kellock (capt); R Harley, J Barclay, R Wilson.

Replacements: F Gillies, R Grant, M Low, R Gray, C Fusaro, C Cusiter, A Dunbar, C Shaw

I like the rotation here, and it's a better backline than the one beaten by Leinster. Lemi, Nathan and Aramburu come in and all are dangerous players, particularly Lemi who will be looking to impress on debut. Add to that trio the consistently impressive Weir and Hogg and I'm going for home win.

Delighted also to see Welsh starting and Low on the bench. Glasgow need to get those front row reserves really competing in order push forward improvement in that area.

Best and Ferris will be missed, particularly Ferris. The Glasgow back row is an extremely hard working unit and showed that you need big ball carriers (which Leinster had) to cause them issues. I'm pleased Ferris isn't involved in that regard.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 17072
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 43
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 23 Nov 2011, 7:44 pm

Agreed, fES, decent side with half the bench as strong or stronger than the players they will replace

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Posts : 14129
Join date : 2011-03-26
Age : 111
Location : Devon/London

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by WillyGilly Wed 23 Nov 2011, 10:10 pm

Big game for Ulster. Badly need a league win. Pienaar is a big miss. Spence isn't a 12 but can be a big player. We need Hump to have a decent game. Fairly confident in our pack.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Posts : 3384
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 34
Location : Lisburn

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 23 Nov 2011, 11:31 pm

red_stag wrote:I wouldn't say that Stand. To me McL has produced some fantastic at times high risk rugby and integrated quite a few young players into his team. He was the backs coach for Ireland when our backline was at its best.

With Ireland McL was the skills coach and EOS himself took responsibility as backs coach (except for when it went wrong).

McL is a poor coach, as time and time again last season Ulster would come out for the second half and lose from having a halftime lead - says a lot about his motivation of players and tactical reading of the game. The biggest improvement Ulster made last year was signing Pienaar who ran the backline and won matches single-handedly. The only gameplan I've seen from McL in the absence of RP is to give it to Spence to suck in the defence and then hope that Ferris or Wannenburg will punch a hole somewhere.

As for integrating young players into the team, does he do that well? The trend seems to be that a young player does great initially making the step up from the Ravens, only to then slip back to a lower level after a spell in the team. Here's a few examples:
1. McAllister - great first showings last season now struggling to maintain that form, and lost out to Fitz switching sides.
2. Diack - at times looked Test potential in his first season, but now struggles to make the Ulster bench.
3. Faloon - ditto as Diack and apparent illogical selection policy
4. Porter - with Pienaar out he is the bench SH, yet has had hardly any time on the pitch, and no start this season, despite SmallP having a few shockers.
5. Niall O'Connor - Totally bizarre selection policy last season with iHumphreys left his confidence totally shot, and his future as a rugby player in question. Absolutely right he moved to somewhere he would be nurtured.
6. Spence - made a name for himself on the wing and at 13, so McL plays him at 12 and constrains him to a bosh game.
7. Gilroy - Great debut season, but has lost some of that spark - Hmmm?
8. Emerick and Tereblanche being drafted in as short term cover. No one wants injuries but when they happen that is when the young guys see their chance to make the team. Bringing in mediocre imports shows zero faith in the squad depth, and consequently harms it even further. Gilroy only got his chance after Emerick was sent packing.
9. D'Arcy - makes steady progress throughout last season, yet even after Payne's injury isn't deemed good enough to start. McL persists with Danielli playing out of position and playing poorly.
10. Whitten has never let Ulster down and had an established partnership in the midfield with Cave, yet McL plays him on the wing and Spence at IC. Is this really 'developing' players by asking them to fore-go the limited experience they have already got in a position to start and learn a completely new one?

There are probably another ten examples where it seems McL is demotivating players by his mood swings from stoic conservatism to random out of the hat selections.

The Great Aukster

Posts : 5246
Join date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by George Carlin Thu 24 Nov 2011, 7:16 am

The Ulster problem does seem to be in midfield.

Spence's problem is actually that he might get smashed by Morrison who is nothing but a 'route one' player.

Ulster were excellent in the Heineken but without Ferris you might get canned in the loose by this hard running Glasgow back row, especially as Glasgow will want to get their horsing by Leinster out of their system.

Gilroy is also going to have his hands full with Lemi, who is a pocket rocket.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15771
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : KSA

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Glas a du Thu 24 Nov 2011, 7:39 am

Ulster by 3

SUFTUM!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Posts : 15843
Join date : 2011-04-28
Age : 48
Location : Ammanford

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by rodders Thu 24 Nov 2011, 9:14 am

George Carlin wrote:The Ulster problem does seem to be in midfield.

Spence's problem is actually that he might get smashed by Morrison who is nothing but a 'route one' player.

Ulster were excellent in the Heineken but without Ferris you might get canned in the loose by this hard running Glasgow back row, especially as Glasgow will want to get their horsing by Leinster out of their system.

Gilroy is also going to have his hands full with Lemi, who is a pocket rocket.

I think Ulster attacking problem starts at 9-10 or maybe even 8 and works outwards from there. The right options are not being taken by the decision makers and the outside players are not getting put into space enough.

Spence is pretty physical himself so it should be a good match up for him. Morrision gave D'arcy and O'Malley a bit of trouble last week so it will be a big challenge for Spence and Cave.

Gilroy too is deciptively physical, I recall him really getting stuck into Mike Poole when a few people thought he might struggle.

Back row will be a big challenge especialy without Ferris.

I would say Glasgow will be favourites in this one but a win is vital here to get Ulsters league campaign back on track.
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25501
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 43

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Rava Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:04 am

I've just decided this is the team I would pick for Friday night. It is mainly based on the comments/aspirations of the Ulster fans on this forum. It assumes Court and Trimble will not play.

1. Mcallister
2. Kyriacou
3.Fitzpatrick
4. Muller
5. Tuohy
6. Wannenburg
7. Faloon
8. Henry
9. Marshall
10. Humph
11. Gilroy
12. Whitten
13. Cave
14. Spence
15. D'arcy
Rava
Rava

Posts : 9507
Join date : 2011-04-07
Age : 68
Location : Co. Antrim

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by rodders Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:09 am

Good team Rava. I'd go with:

1. Mcallister
2. Kyriacou
3. Fitzpatrick
4. Muller
5. Tuohy
6. Wannenburg
7. Faloon
8. Henry
9. Pienaar
10. Humph
11. Danielli/ Whitten
12. Spence
13. Cave
14. Gilroy
15. D'arcy.

rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25501
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 43

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:40 am

It appears we may be allowed to play Court and Trimble - TBD

Marshall, I think, is just there to get back into the swing of things - I don't think he will be thrown stright in

geoff998rugby

Posts : 5249
Join date : 2011-06-09
Age : 70
Location : Belfast/Ardglass

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by rodders Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:48 am

Trimble and Gilroy on the wings then. Please no Danielli! Sad
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25501
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 43

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Rava Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:07 am

roddersm wrote:Trimble and Gilroy on the wings then. Please no Danielli! Sad

chin We haven't tried him at inside centre yet, though

Run Run
Rava
Rava

Posts : 9507
Join date : 2011-04-07
Age : 68
Location : Co. Antrim

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:52 am

The Great Aukster wrote:
red_stag wrote:I wouldn't say that Stand. To me McL has produced some fantastic at times high risk rugby and integrated quite a few young players into his team. He was the backs coach for Ireland when our backline was at its best.

With Ireland McL was the skills coach and EOS himself took responsibility as backs coach (except for when it went wrong).

McL is a poor coach, as time and time again last season Ulster would come out for the second half and lose from having a halftime lead - says a lot about his motivation of players and tactical reading of the game. The biggest improvement Ulster made last year was signing Pienaar who ran the backline and won matches single-handedly. The only gameplan I've seen from McL in the absence of RP is to give it to Spence to suck in the defence and then hope that Ferris or Wannenburg will punch a hole somewhere.

As for integrating young players into the team, does he do that well? The trend seems to be that a young player does great initially making the step up from the Ravens, only to then slip back to a lower level after a spell in the team. Here's a few examples:
1. McAllister - great first showings last season now struggling to maintain that form, and lost out to Fitz switching sides.
2. Diack - at times looked Test potential in his first season, but now struggles to make the Ulster bench.
3. Faloon - ditto as Diack and apparent illogical selection policy
4. Porter - with Pienaar out he is the bench SH, yet has had hardly any time on the pitch, and no start this season, despite SmallP having a few shockers.
5. Niall O'Connor - Totally bizarre selection policy last season with iHumphreys left his confidence totally shot, and his future as a rugby player in question. Absolutely right he moved to somewhere he would be nurtured.
6. Spence - made a name for himself on the wing and at 13, so McL plays him at 12 and constrains him to a bosh game.
7. Gilroy - Great debut season, but has lost some of that spark - Hmmm?
8. Emerick and Tereblanche being drafted in as short term cover. No one wants injuries but when they happen that is when the young guys see their chance to make the team. Bringing in mediocre imports shows zero faith in the squad depth, and consequently harms it even further. Gilroy only got his chance after Emerick was sent packing.
9. D'Arcy - makes steady progress throughout last season, yet even after Payne's injury isn't deemed good enough to start. McL persists with Danielli playing out of position and playing poorly.
10. Whitten has never let Ulster down and had an established partnership in the midfield with Cave, yet McL plays him on the wing and Spence at IC. Is this really 'developing' players by asking them to fore-go the limited experience they have already got in a position to start and learn a completely new one?

There are probably another ten examples where it seems McL is demotivating players by his mood swings from stoic conservatism to random out of the hat selections.

Interesting post, I have to agree with the majority of it. It does seem to be a trend that our young players are suffering. I mean look at our current HEC team, the only youngster playing is Gilroy, and he hasn't been used half as well as he was last season. We've opted for experience, which is okay, but surely we could have relied on the likes of D'Arcy over Danielli. The young players just seem to be losing confidence and gametime, at an alarming rate. Also last season, all these young players were the stars for Ulster, and they are rewarded by getting dropped. Terrible management.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11324
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 31
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Rava Thu 24 Nov 2011, 12:17 pm

Team Named:

The team which will run out at Firhill shows four personnel changes and one positional switch from the starting XV that was defeated 20-9 by Leicester in the Heineken Cup last weekend.
Rory Best and Stephen Ferris have been rested as part of the IRFU's player management programme, so Andi Kyriacou and Robbie Diack are direct replacements at hooker and blindside flanker. Chris Henry is also rested by McLaughlin and is replaced by Willie Faloon in the back row, but the rest of the pack remains unchanged.

In the backs, Craig Gilroy - who like Chris Henry has played in all of Ulster's 10 games so far this season - gets a well earned break from the action. The one positional change sees Simon Danielli move from fullback to his customary wing position in place of Gilroy, while Adam D'Arcy is promoted from the bench to play at the back.

A D'Arcy; A Trimble, D Cave, N Spence, S Danielli; I Humphreys, P Marshall;
(1-8): T Court, A Kyriacou, D Fitzpatrick, J Muller (capt), D Tuohy, R Diack, W Faloon, P Wannenburg;
Replacements (16-23): N Brady, P McAllister, A Macklin, T Barker, M McComish, I Porter, P Jackson, I Whitten

Unavailable due to injury: Jared Payne (achilles), Ruan Pienaar (hamstring), Paddy Wallace (thumb)

Rested due to player management: Stephen Ferris, Rory Best, Chris Henry, Craig Gilroy
Rava
Rava

Posts : 9507
Join date : 2011-04-07
Age : 68
Location : Co. Antrim

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Rava Thu 24 Nov 2011, 12:23 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:

Interesting post, I have to agree with the majority of it. It does seem to be a trend that our young players are suffering. I mean look at our current HEC team, the only youngster playing is Gilroy, and he hasn't been used half as well as he was last season. We've opted for experience, which is okay, but surely we could have relied on the likes of D'Arcy over Danielli. The young players just seem to be losing confidence and gametime, at an alarming rate. Also last season, all these young players were the stars for Ulster, and they are rewarded by getting dropped. Terrible management.

Surely you can't be advocating playing a bunch of youngsters in the HC ahead of experienced players. D'Arcy/Danielli aside where would you see anyone else fitting into the team?

Also I would see Spence and Cave as "youngsters" and McAllister, Macklin and Jackson have already featured as replacements.
Rava
Rava

Posts : 9507
Join date : 2011-04-07
Age : 68
Location : Co. Antrim

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Glas a du Thu 24 Nov 2011, 1:01 pm

Rava wrote:Team Named:

The team which will run out at Firhill shows four personnel changes and one positional switch from the starting XV that was defeated 20-9 by Leicester in the Heineken Cup last weekend.
Rory Best and Stephen Ferris have been rested as part of the IRFU's player management programme, so Andi Kyriacou and Robbie Diack are direct replacements at hooker and blindside flanker. Chris Henry is also rested by McLaughlin and is replaced by Willie Faloon in the back row, but the rest of the pack remains unchanged.

In the backs, Craig Gilroy - who like Chris Henry has played in all of Ulster's 10 games so far this season - gets a well earned break from the action. The one positional change sees Simon Danielli move from fullback to his customary wing position in place of Gilroy, while Adam D'Arcy is promoted from the bench to play at the back.

A D'Arcy; A Trimble, D Cave, N Spence, S Danielli; I Humphreys, P Marshall;
(1-8): T Court, A Kyriacou, D Fitzpatrick, J Muller (capt), D Tuohy, R Diack, W Faloon, P Wannenburg;
Replacements (16-23): N Brady, P McAllister, A Macklin, T Barker, M McComish, I Porter, P Jackson, I Whitten

Unavailable due to injury: Jared Payne (achilles), Ruan Pienaar (hamstring), Paddy Wallace (thumb)

Rested due to player management: Stephen Ferris, Rory Best, Chris Henry, Craig Gilroy

Ooh, good team. As Glasgow's backs are being chopped and changed, I'm reviewing my prediction. Ulster by 5.

SUFTUM!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Posts : 15843
Join date : 2011-04-28
Age : 48
Location : Ammanford

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by clivemcl Thu 24 Nov 2011, 1:05 pm

Glad to see D'Arcy back. I've no problem really with danielli as long as hes on the wing. Gilroy deserves a rest. Really need to see more spark and creative attacking in the backs.

SUFTUM!

clivemcl

Posts : 4668
Join date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 24 Nov 2011, 1:33 pm

I certainly wouldn't be advocating that Ulster play youth over experience - unless inexperience is outweighed by ability. It's the development of ability at Ulster that I question, not whether the most able player is being selected (Danielli for D'Arcy excepted).

McLaughlin has done some good things this week! D'Arcy in and Danielli where he should be - has the penny dropped?
Resting Henry and Gilroy doesn't undermine them (presuming that Kidney hasn't told him to) while giving Diack and Whitten a chance to impress again. So that's a good balance between keeping players confidence up but still letting them know there are alternatives snapping at their heels.
For a similar reason I'd like to see Jackson get a quarter of the game. This isn't so much for Jackson's development (that's a bonus) but mainly to wake Humphreys up to the fact that Ulster might have an alternative flyhalf. With Wallace and Pienaar available Jackson would not normally be included but they would both be starters in different positions so Humph has no pressure on him - and that is something he needs.

This is a massive game for Diack and Faloon to show how hungry they are for first team action, and could define how successful or otherwise their seasons are going to be. It's also round about this time that out of contract players will be starting negotiations for their next season's employment, so the stakes are raised for fringe players.

The Great Aukster

Posts : 5246
Join date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 24 Nov 2011, 2:21 pm

Rava wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:

Interesting post, I have to agree with the majority of it. It does seem to be a trend that our young players are suffering. I mean look at our current HEC team, the only youngster playing is Gilroy, and he hasn't been used half as well as he was last season. We've opted for experience, which is okay, but surely we could have relied on the likes of D'Arcy over Danielli. The young players just seem to be losing confidence and gametime, at an alarming rate. Also last season, all these young players were the stars for Ulster, and they are rewarded by getting dropped. Terrible management.

Surely you can't be advocating playing a bunch of youngsters in the HC ahead of experienced players. D'Arcy/Danielli aside where would you see anyone else fitting into the team?

Also I would see Spence and Cave as "youngsters" and McAllister, Macklin and Jackson have already featured as replacements.

Sorry I didn't make my point clear enough. I am not advocating playing the youngsters over the experienced for the sake of development. I disagree with that viewpoint, and think the best team should be played regardless of age. That is the point I am making though, we aren't playing the best players, and McLaughlin is showing his lack of trust in the likes of D'Arcy especially, as he signs many journeymen and plays a winger out of position, clearly to prevent D'Arcy from starting as he doesn't believe he is good enough. Yet D'Arcy offers a lot to our team, and though he may blow hot and cold at times, he offers a lot of flair in our attack. Cave I see as young, but also very experienced. He is by no means one of the new young players I refer to.

Spence has seen very little gametime bar his stints at 12 (where he does not suit playing). Cave may be the man with the shirt now, but Spence is sitting on the bench all 80 minutes without getting a chance. If the only gametime he is getting is out of position, how is that good for his development? Faloon and Diack have both also been very poorly treated. I do not mean the "youngsters" so much as the developing players. They are being held back.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11324
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 31
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 24 Nov 2011, 2:22 pm

It is good to see Diack and Faloon start this weekend, yet once again poor selection policy as Diack is played out of position. As is Spence, once again. Silly decisions in my view.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11324
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 31
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by 1F'sgonnagetya! Thu 24 Nov 2011, 2:30 pm

Does anyone think it'd be a good idea maybe having Graham Henry in to help McL for a while?

He wants to work with a 'ken Cup team. I think it'd help having a fresh pair of eyes on the situation.

1F'sgonnagetya!

Posts : 115
Join date : 2011-05-18

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Backrower678 Thu 24 Nov 2011, 2:34 pm

There is no one else to play at 12 though Rory bar Whitten and personally Spence brings alot more to table than Witten in my view, allthough i much prefer Spence at 13 with the injuries we have at the moment Spence is by far the best choicr for 12. Really hope D'arcy, Faloon and Diack take this chance with both hands (they should be eager as heck to impress). Lets hope the boys play the rugby using the top 2 inches as rugby is a simple game when this is done should be a cracker anyways.

Backrower678

Posts : 92
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 24 Nov 2011, 2:41 pm

But there you have the problem, Whitten is a proper 12 that we have and performs well in the Ulster shirt each time. So we repay him by playing someone out of position. He played well at wing at the start of this season too, and as soon as everyone returns he gets dumped out. Too many players playing out of position, too much lack of faith in the players we have at our disposable. I find it very frustrating.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11324
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 31
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Backrower678 Thu 24 Nov 2011, 2:56 pm

I hear what you are saying but he is not the better player though, i dont really like Whitten (even though he has been impressive this season) i think hes too 1 dimensional Spence offers alot more and with Paddy out the 2 selected our the best centres we have. Spence also needs arun of games its been start stop for himso far, big game from D'arcy is coming i think and hope gets alot if uneccessary stick imo

Backrower678

Posts : 92
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 24 Nov 2011, 6:09 pm

Oh I think Spence is a much bigger talent and player than Whitten will ever be, but at outside centre/wing.. at 12 Whitten is better than Spence. I guess that is just opinion though!

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11324
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 31
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Standulstermen Fri 25 Nov 2011, 9:18 pm

Dreadful Ulster. If we dont have Ferris, Pienaar etc to dig us out of a hole we are poor. Changes needed in coaching and approach.

Humph misses 9 points -unnaceptable

This season is becoming a farce and perhaps showing last season as a bit of a fluke. Unless the Ulster fans and senior management are shook out of apathy this dross will continue.

Standulstermen

Posts : 5451
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Standulstermen Fri 25 Nov 2011, 9:19 pm

Congrats Glasgow btw

Standulstermen

Posts : 5451
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Notch Fri 25 Nov 2011, 9:22 pm

I've seen us lose a lot of games we should have won, but I've got no idea how we managed to lose that game.

My kingdom for a decent placekicker! That should have been wrapped up long before they got their try.

Better turn it around quickly, mid-table mediocrity is looming. We've lost as many games in the last nine as we would have been hoping to lose all season.
Notch
Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 36
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Standulstermen Fri 25 Nov 2011, 9:32 pm

I genuinely think a turn around will require new and outside coaching. Im not necessarily getting at McLaughlin but im not convinced he is a head coach but more importantly we need a new backs coach. THe good work of last season is slowly but surely being undone

Standulstermen

Posts : 5451
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Manky-Flanker Fri 25 Nov 2011, 9:35 pm

Relieved to see Glasgow pull through and win that game, as well as denying Ulster the bonus point.

Gotta say though I thought Ulster were getting the better of us in the 2nd half (just like they did earlier in the season!), but just couldn't turn their pressure into points.

Manky-Flanker

Posts : 590
Join date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by TJ1 Fri 25 Nov 2011, 9:47 pm

Not the greatreest of games. Decent defensive performance from Glasgow to keep Ulster out under a lot of pressure but a stop start game on a filthy night. Is Weir playing his way into the Scotland 10 shirt?

TJ1

Posts : 2666
Join date : 2011-08-06

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Notch Fri 25 Nov 2011, 9:48 pm

Yes to a new backs coach, but not sure anyone who is available will want to play second fiddle.
Notch
Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 36
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Standulstermen Fri 25 Nov 2011, 9:53 pm

The one obvious candidate definitely wont

Standulstermen

Posts : 5451
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by The Great Aukster Fri 25 Nov 2011, 10:13 pm

McLaughlin is so out of his depth. Andi the Greek is generally a better thrower than Brady but he was way off and should have been subbed 10 minutes before halftime rather than 10 minutes before the end!
Ulster had the chance of a drop goal with two minutes left on the clock for a bonus point and they decide to run it!!! Seriously are these professional players?
How can Ulster dominate the second half and still get beaten 8-6? Humphreys is playing awful and the Ulster management have to suffer that rod on their back because after three seasons they still haven't produced a viable option. Ulster are rudderless at the moment and that speaks volumes about the coach.

The Great Aukster

Posts : 5246
Join date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 25 Nov 2011, 11:26 pm

If Humphreys form does not improve, and when Pienaar and Wallace return, imo we should start playing Jackson. Yes he is young, no he hasn't been properly tested, but we need someone to step up and now is his chance. Our backs need a certain spark. I honestly think Spence should be our 13 over Cave also, as I think he offers more to our backline and is a fantastic strike runner. When Pienaar/Wallace return I would like to see:

9) Pienaar
10) Jackson
11) Gilroy
12) Wallace
13) Spence
14) Trimble
15) D'Arcy

Time to actually threaten the opposing defences and get some points on the board.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11324
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 31
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by red_stag Fri 25 Nov 2011, 11:47 pm

09 Marshal
10 Pienaar
11 Spence
12 Wallace
13 Trimble
14 Gilroy
15 Darcy

Wink
red_stag
red_stag

Posts : 15653
Join date : 2011-05-19
Age : 35
Location : Limerick, Ireland

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 25 Nov 2011, 11:57 pm

I also like that team actually Stag - but would probably prefer Jackson to grow in his role. I would play Spence at 13 though and Trimble on the wing.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11324
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 31
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 26 Nov 2011, 12:00 am

Yahoo

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Posts : 14129
Join date : 2011-03-26
Age : 111
Location : Devon/London

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat 26 Nov 2011, 9:41 am

Great win in truly dreadful conditions. Southern hemisphere try too !

mo2
21st Century Schizoid Man
21st Century Schizoid Man

Posts : 3564
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat 26 Nov 2011, 9:42 am

Should have said hope Rob Harley is ok - he was spark out at the end.
21st Century Schizoid Man
21st Century Schizoid Man

Posts : 3564
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Ulster Squad for Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster Squad for Glasgow

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum