The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Benn v McClellan - What happened?

+20
HumanWindmill
88Chris05
TRUSSMAN66
captain carrantuohil
Haito
ShahenshahG
Strongback
Knowsit17
Happytravelling
Imperial Ghosty
Nico the gman
Super D Boon
skidd1
huw
superflyweight
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Scottrf
Union Cane
Fists of Fury
Beer
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Benn v McClellan - What happened? - Page 2 Empty Benn v McClellan - What happened?

Post by Beer Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hello,

I was reading a piece on The Guardian about the above fight but it didn't go in to much detail about what happened during the fight, could anyone give me a run down?

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Benn v McClellan - What happened? - Page 2 Empty Re: Benn v McClellan - What happened?

Post by Fists of Fury Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:35 pm

Thanks scott, good read.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Benn v McClellan - What happened? - Page 2 Empty Re: Benn v McClellan - What happened?

Post by HumanWindmill Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:38 pm

Ditto, on both counts.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:39 pm

G-Mans trainer was a bit of a loon in that documentary, wasn't he!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:39 pm

Having watched the documentary and read the story I believe McClellan had signs of brain damage before the fight.

I was thinking the same thing when watching the documentary. Either he had a habit of blinking a lot (which makes the blinking during the fight possibly coincidental) or he was showing signs of potential brain damage before the fight.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:40 pm

I believe it may be from the book Boxing Confidential, can anyone confirm?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:55 pm

I find it strange still, as i remember watching the fight, that no one ringside really picked up on the blinking and gunshield etc. Looked really strange to me and although I didn't know how serious, McLellan looked like something was wrong from about the 6th, prior to which I was basically waiting for him to KO Benn.

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:58 pm

Thanks to everyone who commented. Some great views.

I ended up watching the fight on youtube (other sites are available) and it was brutal, but at the same time it was must watch. Despite knowing the outcome, i couldn't tear myself away from the screen. As someone described earlier, a great, great fight, tragic ending.

I Sky+'d the documentary but avoided the book as the review on here was backed up by alot of people online.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:09 pm

Although I pointed you in the direction of the book, King, I have to confess that I haven't read it (my copy is sitting unopened in a cupboard somewhere).

The recommendation was based on the fact that it's the only book I know of that covers the fight. Dave may well be right that it is drivel - given that he originally recommended "Dark Trade" to me then I'd say he knows a good book on boxing when he sees one. given that I didn't particuarly like Nitchell's other book, "Jacobs Beach" I probably shoudl have steered clear of recommending "War, Baby" although I know that a few others on here have recommedned it in the past.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Haito Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:11 pm

Was a good documentary which made some very valid points which has indeed been followed by some excellent posts here this morning.

The point id like to touch on though is that i dont think enough thought is given to the guys at the other end of the ring to thier tragic counterpart. The part of the documentary where Nigel sees Gerald in the wheelchair at the dinner is very moving. Nigel is cut to pieces and i know Eubank was the same regarding the Watson incident.

These guys have to live with what happened for the rest of their lives. I know all fighters step through those ropes knowing something bad could happen but nothing can possibly prepare them for when it does. Boxing is a sport full of respect and to know that they gave one of thier fellow professionals brain damage and other serious injury's will kill these guys inside and i dont think enough is made of that.

In most cases the fighters in question have to continue fighting aswell which must be incredibly hard as it going to play on thier minds and effect there mindset. To see Nigel's fights after the Mcclellan tragedy really brings this home. He lost 3 out of his last 4 fights post Gman and was never the same fighter. Chris Eubank was similar as he became more gun shy after the Watson tragedy and im sure some of the more knowlegable guys on here will point out more cases of this in past-era's.

So in short obviously the guys who end up tragically injured come off worse and deserve all the support they get from various boxing foundations and fans alike but i think its very important that we dont forget just what catastrophic effect the fight has on the fighter who landed the punches which played a part in the injury.
Haito
Haito

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:27 pm

The documentary was surprisingly good.

For what it's worth I actually enjoyed Dark Trade and found it a good read. Thought it was well written and it covered a lot of the fighters from my personal 'golden age' of boxing, which may have made it seem better than it was.

Would still rate it as one of the best boxing books I have read.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:17 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:G-Mans trainer was a bit of a loon in that documentary, wasn't he!

He actually made me sick to my stomach watching it. His seeming incompetence was gross and, given what happened, his horrendous accusations of juicing were sickening. I think G-man's eye's could have been hanging out their sockets and his arms broken and that trainer (if you can call him that) wouldn't have pulled him out.

Can't believe the cheek of him to suggest he was one of, if not the, best trainer(s) in the world. He, and much of the rest of the corner, were a shambles and as much to blame as anyone else (maybe more so) for the state of G-man today.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:07 am

Anyone missed it:

http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=293512

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:24 am

cheers

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarrayb Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:09 pm

Watched the doc last night and was quite moved by Benn's reaction to seeing Mcclellan.
I watched the fight live in 95 and have watched it a couple of times since. You still can on you tube if your that way inclined (and nothing to be ashamed of for wanting to see it).
Whilst the ending was tragic and unfortunately what the fight will always be remembered, it had everything to make it a classic, I think Ring magazine had it in the top 3 fights of the 20th century (but didn't name it fight of the year!).
The one thing that really sticks out in my mind is the second round which Benn came steaming out for after taking a pummelling in the first, a great round of boxing with both guys trading and benn warming to the task.
The rest of the fight ebbs and flows and the end is tragic but the action relentless. It was a close fight too, scores at 9 was 84-84, 87-84 Mc, 85-84 Mc.
Its a shame about the outcome as i'm sure it would have taken many more accolades had Mcclellan not been so badly hurt, definately the best fight I've ever seen, if also the most tragic.

sugarrayb

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:25 pm

Any boxing fan that hasn't seen this fight needs to. It was a superb fight and the true example of a War in the boxing ring.

I watched it live on TV and the action and momentum swayed back and forth. It truly was a classic. The best man won on the night.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2