The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tiger is back in the winners circle- returns to world's top 20!

+40
Hibbz
John Cregan
ralphjohn69
Gregers
oldparwin
BlueCoverman
GT350
hogie
earlsy
Noel
gaelgowfer
Marcus
JohnnyH
Tiler76
Shotrock
erictheblueuk
barragan
McLaren
raycastleunited
Gareth_NI
JDandfries
SmithersJones
drive4show
JPX
Sand
navyblueshorts
Del_Boy
Diggers
MustPuttBetter
Davie
mthierry
Maverick
GWR-Golfer
Doon the Water
super_realist
NedB-H
kwinigolfer
JAS
KeizoYamata
monty junior
44 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Tiger is back in the winners circle- returns to world's top 20! Empty Tiger is back in the winners circle- returns to world's top 20!

Post by monty junior Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:15 pm

What a great finish, vintage Tiger, thrilling notworthy

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Tiger is back in the winners circle- returns to world's top 20! Empty Re: Tiger is back in the winners circle- returns to world's top 20!

Post by KeizoYamata Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:30 pm

Our lord is back!!! The messiah of Golf is back!! When was the last time we saw a great battle like this? It had to be 2008 at the US open. This is what golf has been missing. What did Luke do in his 12 man exhibition event? He could not even make the top 50% Laugh

4 weeks ago they said he wont even win or deserved to play Chevron now they they have changed their tune and come up with the excuses

1 - it was an exhibition and they did not care

2 - The course was designed for Tiger

3 - They handed him the win intentionally

Laugh Laugh Laugh

You actually thought he was done and revelling in your constant schadenfreude laughing I'm off for my long holiday! Don't turn up in on this forum next year it's going to be a complete domination and I'd be here to remind you all

Good night and merry Xmas suckers. Very Happy

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Tiger is back in the winners circle- returns to world's top 20! Empty Re: Tiger is back in the winners circle- returns to world's top 20!

Post by JAS Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:35 pm

I'd be interested in the maths that catapults someone 30 odd places up the rankings for winning an 18 man tournament, given that he was was runner up last year so had a few to drop as well...wtf!!

To be fair those were big clutch putts on 17 & 18. He can bang on about being excited by his swing changes all he likes but he knows deep down that the way back for him is to continually hole those key putts. This week he did, hence the "W"....I still don't think he's quite there though...still throwing in an over par round in one of the 4.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:36 pm

And all that time, I thought Keizo was "the messiah of Golf" . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:36 pm

KeizoYamata wrote:I'm off for my long holiday!
Til Woods wins a Tour event? That will be a long holiday.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:42 pm

I've got to agree 30 places is a bit excessive, it's a pretty strong field but maybe something closer to ten would be fairer. I've been confident since i watched Tiger in Australia that he would win soon, if he can get another win in before the Masters i think he could comfortably get himself back in the top 10.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:43 pm

Jeeesus Christ Keizo, he'll barely have signed his card and here you are...spouting nonsense already...For your info I thought the 2011 US Masters was a great and exciting finish, as was the 2010 U.S. Open. Then of course there was the BMW at Wentworth this year too as well as the Disney tournament a few weeks ago where somebody shot 6 birdies on the back 9 on the Sunday to take the prize.....who was that again??
No doubt you'll miss this response as you'll be off to bed now for a quick tommy tank over your hero...enjoy

Lets just see what he does in a full field event eh?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:46 pm

To be fair two of those finishes you just mentioned did include Tiger in some capacity.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Dec 2011, 6:45 am

Keizo,

What a preposterous statement (but utterly predictable), your wrist must be exhausted after tonight.

First of all well done to Woods for winning what is in effect a competition as important as a midweek stableford at your club. Wow, he really must be back. Laugh

Secondly, Donald has had a little bit of upheaval recently, his father dying and a new baby.
Now the last time that Woods had a little bit of upheaval in his private life he disappeared for two whole years.

At least Donald played.

By the way, how rubbish is that fist pump? It's like someone emptying an ashtray from a car.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon 05 Dec 2011, 8:02 am

Tiger wins a members turkey trot with all the good players absent..........and he goes up 20 places in the OWR..........that needs to be looked at.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by GWR-Golfer Mon 05 Dec 2011, 8:13 am

I wonder how many points were up for winning? it has to be a ridiculous amount given it's a 12 man field that doesn't include the world no.1 -4.

BTW - he may have risen 30 places but has only gone up to an average of ~3.7, so not really a very big rise. So he is still an average of 7.0 to go to get back to no. 1

Let's see how good he is when he has a full field (of all the top players) to play against.

God help us from the hyperbole
GWR-Golfer
GWR-Golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 05 Dec 2011, 8:26 am

Nice to see Kirsty Gallagher on Sky Sports News(nice to see her anywhere really) she was down playing what the guy who does the paper talk about Tiger being back, he was typical he's back, a "W" gets him ready to challenege Donald etc. She simply said! Is he think we'll have to see about that long way to go.

So well said Ms Gallagher.

As for Eldrick Tont Woods, a 12man field win is hardly worth getting the kleenex out for Keizo.

He played some good stuff but he also threw in some real crap! Not sure 100% of the numbers but his recent scoring average for round 3 must be something like 73.5 hopefully someone can get the accurate stat on that but bot good enough to win big events

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:11 am

super_realist wrote:Keizo,

Secondly, Donald has had a little bit of upheaval recently, his father dying and a new baby.
Now the last time that Woods had a little bit of upheaval in his private life he disappeared for two whole years.

Err, no. Woods would only go on to win the Open a few weeks after his dad passed on.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:13 am

mthierry - you don't consider events of the last two years to be significant in Tiger's life then?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:15 am

mthierry wrote:Err, no. Woods would only go on to win the Open a few weeks after his dad passed on.

Whilst sleeping with every woman in the US, impressive....
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:15 am

GWR-Golfer wrote:I wonder how many points were up for winning? it has to be a ridiculous amount given it's a 12 man field that doesn't include the world no.1 -4.

BTW - he may have risen 30 places but has only gone up to an average of ~3.7, so not really a very big rise. So he is still an average of 7.0 to go to get back to no. 1

Let's see how good he is when he has a full field (of all the top players) to play against.

God help us from the hyperbole

It was an 18 man field, the Nedbank was 12.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:15 am

Maverick wrote:Nice to see Kirsty Gallagher on Sky Sports News(nice to see her anywhere really) she was down playing what the guy who does the paper talk about Tiger being back, he was typical he's back, a "W" gets him ready to challenege Donald etc. She simply said! Is he think we'll have to see about that long way to go.

So well said Ms Gallagher.

As for Eldrick Tont Woods, a 12man field win is hardly worth getting the kleenex out for Keizo.

He played some good stuff but he also threw in some real crap! Not sure 100% of the numbers but his recent scoring average for round 3 must be something like 73.5 hopefully someone can get the accurate stat on that but bot good enough to win big events

Big rumours that Kirsty and Tiger have got it on in the past. Maybe it didn't end well.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:23 am

Davie wrote:mthierry - you don't consider events of the last two years to be significant in Tiger's life then?

The very premise of his argument portrays Tiger as some sort of bottle job while Luke is some steely monster mentally which is absurd. Was just pointing out that when Tiger had a comparable trying time like Donald, he still played some incredible stuff.

And even if I only spoke of the last 2 seasons, Tiger has come close to greatness on quite a good few occasions including the majors.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by Del_Boy Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:24 am

Sets 2012 up nicely

Del_Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:57 am

mthierry wrote:And even if I only spoke of the last 2 seasons, Tiger has come close to greatness on quite a good few occasions including the majors.
Just out of interest, when would those occasions have been?

Nice to see him competing well again although we'll have to endure all the silly press hoopla again....can't wait Rolling Eyes.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Mon 05 Dec 2011, 10:03 am

He looks to be on his way back but IMO Andrew Cotter's tweet sums it up. Good win but judge him in a tournament but judge him when the competitors are more than the holes on the golf course.

Not as difficult to win on a course which is basically his back yard and field he hand picked himself.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 05 Dec 2011, 10:10 am

How did he hand pick the field ? It was picked on rankings plus two invites from players inside the top 50 wasnt it ? So basically as far as I can see the idea for the event is to get the strongest field possible.
Its clearly not a huge win and OWGR points are a joke. But the field may have been small but in terms of class players it was better than Hong Kong.
And if we are going to have a go at Tigers fist pumps then again Rory should get a mention as his victory celebration was hardly what you would call understated.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Mon 05 Dec 2011, 10:27 am

It was the top 50 it was picked from but he still decided who he invited?

It was a good win to him and clearly meant a lot more to him than others but I was impressed by most of his play.

Sets up 2012 really well.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 05 Dec 2011, 10:33 am

I think it consists primarily of the top available players from the OWGR. So they start inviting from number one and so on. Its not just a random choice of players from the top 50.
Agree though, sets up 2012 nicely.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 05 Dec 2011, 10:39 am

Can we get away from just slagging TW off for trivialities like his fist pump etc? It's hardly important is it?

One thing's for sure, if TW is looking better then 2012 could/should be a good year.

Just out of interest, did anyone see Westwood's 3rd round 62 at the Nedbank? Pretty impressive. Wish I could drive like that...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 05 Dec 2011, 10:45 am

Let's not overdo the weakness of the field argument. It wasn't that weak!

There were 3 other Major winners, the Players champion, 4 of the world's top 10 and the FedEx cup/Tour Championship winner.

That's not a bad field to beat.
But it's clear Tiger had far more motivation to win it than others and it was really an end of season exhibition on a course he designed.

Not really been mentioned much but a great effort from Paul Casey to finish 3rd after a +7 first day. Looks to be finding some form again
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 05 Dec 2011, 10:47 am

He only won because the weather was good! Very Happy

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 05 Dec 2011, 10:57 am

keizo

Your life must be very empty if you can get so excited about someone winning a tinpot golf competition.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:03 am

mthierry:
"Woods would only go on to win the Open a few weeks after his Dad passed on."

Before that he took time off, returned for the US Open at Winged Foot, and missed the cut. Apart from that US Open, Woods took three months off between The Masters that year and returning at Cog Hill.

Was his subsequent form superb? Of course.
Will Donald's form in 2012 be superb? You may not bet on it, but I would.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:04 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
mthierry wrote:And even if I only spoke of the last 2 seasons, Tiger has come close to greatness on quite a good few occasions including the majors.
Just out of interest, when would those occasions have been?

Nice to see him competing well again although we'll have to endure all the silly press hoopla again....can't wait Rolling Eyes.

Try as recent a major as the US Masters where he had the final round lead heading into the back 9. And a 14-time major winner who's dominated at the top for donkey years has earnt every bit of press he gets: which by the way, isn't too different from the McIlroy hype.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:05 am

I was watching it last night not really knowing why I didn't want him to win. Then I realised it's because the TV coverage is so much worse when he's in contention. I must have seen every shot he played at least three times, it was so dull.

No-one seemed like they wanted to challenge him the way GMac did last year, Tiger clearly wanted it badly and fair play to him for the finish. I just hope that when he plays in Abu Dhabi next month in a field with some of the current top rated players the coverage is a bit more balanced. I might not be so against him then, he is after all pretty good when he wants to be.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:08 am

kwinigolfer wrote:mthierry:
"Woods would only go on to win the Open a few weeks after his Dad passed on."

Before that he took time off, returned for the US Open at Winged Foot, and missed the cut. Apart from that US Open, Woods took three months off between The Masters that year and returning at Cog Hill.

Was his subsequent form superb? Of course.
Will Donald's form in 2012 be superb? You may not bet on it, but I would.

The point is that while he missed the cut at the US Open, just a few weeks later, he won the Open. Surely, that's indicative of the great depths of the man's resolve. Are we actually comparing Tiger Woods with Luke Donald? Shocked

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:09 am

Not a massive tiger fan, but glad to see him return to the winners circle, be interesting is he can kick on from here.

Still the odd wayward shot, but that is the norm, however he looked a bit more of an authority on the greens, the putts were hitting the back of teh hole, like they used to, as opposed to driffting meekly wide!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:12 am

SmithersJones wrote:I was watching it last night not really knowing why I didn't want him to win[. Then I realised it's because the TV coverage is so much worse when he's in contention. I must have seen every shot he played at least three times, it was so dull.

No-one seemed like they wanted to challenge him the way GMac did last year, Tiger clearly wanted it badly and fair play to him for the finish. I just hope that when he plays in Abu Dhabi next month in a field with some of the current top rated players the coverage is a bit more balanced. I might not be so against him then, he is after all pretty good when he wants to be.

Very easy to answer.

Too much coverage/repeats at the expense of other players.
Too much sycophancy, trouser shuffling over routine shots
He doesn't ever look like he's enjoying himself.
His golf is boring (IMO)
He has a stupid name and insists on being called it.
His interviews are mind numbingly dull.
Bad loser/ungracious winner.
Poor on course demeanour
Spitting
His fans are intolerably one eyed and fickle.
Keizo.

Need any more?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Del_Boy Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:21 am

super_realist wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:I was watching it last night not really knowing why I didn't want him to win[. Then I realised it's because the TV coverage is so much worse when he's in contention. I must have seen every shot he played at least three times, it was so dull.

Very easy to answer.

Too much coverage/repeats at the expense of other players. Not a lot he can do about that
Too much sycophancy, trouser shuffling over routine shots. If he feels comfortable doing that it isn't doing anyone any harm. Not that I noticed to much shuffling.
His golf is boring (IMO) - as you say your opnion
He has a stupid name and insists on being called it. Taking the michael out of his name is a bit off.
His interviews are mind numbingly dull. I find most golf.sports interview dull
Bad loser/ungracious winner. Not that I have noticed
Poor on course demeanour - no worse than others
Spitting - agree well out of order
His fans are intolerably one eyed and fickle. - Not a lot he can do about that
Keizo.

Need any more?

Del_Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:28 am

super_realist wrote:

Very easy to answer.

His golf is boring (IMO)
Poor on course demeanour
Spitting
Keizo.

Need any more?

How about the fact he's the greatest of his generation and at least one of the top 2 of all-time and a couple of bitter haters with too much time on their hands can't handle it. Yeah, I think that covers any more you're looking for. Very Happy

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:29 am

Who's next?

Hippopotamus Lowry,
Tortoise Furyk
Hedgehog Dougherty.

That someone can insist on being called something as stupid as Tiger says a lot about the guy.

Reminds me of Paul "The Guv'nor" Ince.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:31 am

mthierry wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Very easy to answer.

His golf is boring (IMO)
Poor on course demeanour
Spitting
Keizo.

Need any more?

How about the fact he's the greatest of his generation and at least one of the top 2 of all-time and a couple of bitter haters with too much time on their hands can't handle it. Yeah, I think that covers any more you're looking for. Very Happy

That may well be true M, however I've presented legitimate reasons for wanting him to lose. His standing in the game is of little relevance in that respect.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:31 am

There are many easy things to dislike about him, but just cos he insists on being called Tiger, shouldnt be one, you can do better than that SR.

Not sure Hippo suits your pal Shane Lowery, more of Jabba, if you ask me

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:35 am

mthierry wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Very easy to answer.

His golf is boring (IMO)
Poor on course demeanour
Spitting
Keizo.

Need any more?

Please don't lump me in with S_R. If you read my post more carefully you'll see I acknowledge that he's (been?) a great player and what I was trying to say was there was no reason why I shouldn't want him to win, but simply because the TV people were so obsessed with him, I wanted him not to win so that they'd stfu. The coverage has been so much more even and interesting over the last couple of years, if they get it right and he's in the mix it'll be fantastic next year, but if this kind of sycophancy continues they'll ruin the coverage by over-focussing on one player when several others are playing just as well or better.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:43 am

Hopefully the coverage on Woods was excessive as -
a. It was his event
b. He was winning
c. For the last 3 holes they were the only group on the course as they were playing so slowly so there was nothing else to show.
Certainly would be better if we dont go back to the old days of too much Tiger being shown but ultimately thats not down to him is it.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:43 am

SmithersJones wrote:
Please don't lump me in with S_R. If you read my post more carefully you'll see I acknowledge that he's (been?) a great player and what I was trying to say was there was no reason why I shouldn't want him to win, but simply because the TV people were so obsessed with him, I wanted him not to win so that they'd stfu. The coverage has been so much more even and interesting over the last couple of years, if they get it right and he's in the mix it'll be fantastic next year, but if this kind of sycophancy continues they'll ruin the coverage by over-focussing on one player when several others are playing just as well or better.

Calm down. I wasn't addressing your post in that reply. I don't mind if one doesn't like Tiger but I do take exception to insufferable posters who must express their patent dislike in nigh on every post right from the days of the old 606. Surely, it gets tedious after a while?

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:49 am

Not as tedious as all the Tiger lovers taking every opportunity to big him up at every opportunity.

Now THAT is tedious.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:50 am

Diggers wrote:Hopefully the coverage on Woods was excessive as -
a. It was his event
b. He was winning
c. For the last 3 holes they were the only group on the course as they were playing so slowly so there was nothing else to show.
Certainly would be better if we dont go back to the old days of too much Tiger being shown but ultimately thats not down to him is it.

Of course it's down to him. If he hadn't been so good in the past, they'd not be so excited Wink

Fair points as to why, but we didn't see much of the rest of the field all day.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:51 am

Diggers wrote:Hopefully the coverage on Woods was excessive as -
a. It was his event
b. He was winning

I'm sure ideally, most would love more balanced coverage of the golf but as I always say, Tiger has earnt every bit of excessive coverage he gets which Rory is beginning to rival already. When the likes of Westwood and Donald win 14 majors and spend several years at number one sweeping the biggest tourneys and breaking countless records, I'm sure they'll get the same coverage. Smile

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:52 am

I completely welcome new posters so please don't take this the wrong way, but isn't it funny how when someone who rarely posts on golf comes on this board it is inevitably to talk about - and wow about - Tiger?

Simba, Keizo, mthierry.......... i'm sure i can find others

If i see a new name i'm always 90% certain it's going to be a post about how wonderful Tiger is
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:52 am

mthierry wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:

Calm down. I wasn't addressing your post in that reply. I don't mind if one doesn't like Tiger but I do take exception to insufferable posters who must express their patent dislike in nigh on every post right from the days of the old 606. Surely, it gets tedious after a while?

Calm down? Who are you, Michael Winner?

It's tedious on both sides, for and against.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:55 am

drive4show wrote:Not as tedious as all the Tiger lovers taking every opportunity to big him up at every opportunity.

Now THAT is tedious.

Tiger needs no "bigging up" by anyone. His record speaks for him. It's no one's fault we're still lucky enough to be watching a living, active legend of the game. No one deserves the hype more than him. When others attain his record, I'm sure they'd get the hype as well. There are a lot of people out there that appreciate rare greatness. It's no one's fault if you don't. Smile

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:56 am

They don't show endless repeats of Federer playing, spitting, throwing his racket or swearing when another match is in progress, and he's been a better tennis player than Woods has a golfer.

Nobody is denying that he's been the best golfer of his generation, but a little bit of meritocracy for the moment in time ought to be sensible. I don't expect to see endless pictures of Faldo when he enters the Masters, just because he's won it before.

I can almost understand the overkill in a tiny non event competition like the Chevron, but it would be nice to think it will be more proportional when he enters a real tournament with a cut and a stronger field, not taking place on a hand picked course.

p.s, sounds like we've got another Keizo in mthierry Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:58 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:I completely welcome new posters so please don't take this the wrong way, but isn't it funny how when someone who rarely posts on golf comes on this board it is inevitably to talk about - and wow about - Tiger?

Simba, Keizo, mthierry.......... i'm sure i can find others

If i see a new name i'm always 90% certain it's going to be a post about how wonderful Tiger is

Isn't it also wonderful ho this board is overrun by anti-Tiger fanatics. Reminds me of the prevailing, putrid, anti-Nadal atmosphere on the tennis board. Smile

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next