The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roy Jones has reached rock bottom...Unless!

+10
coxy0001
cave_man_KO
manos de piedra
azania
88Chris05
Steffan
NathanDB10
TRUSSMAN66
Scottrf
Seanusarrilius
14 posters

Go down

Roy Jones has reached rock bottom...Unless! Empty Roy Jones has reached rock bottom...Unless!

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 06 Dec 2011, 8:56 pm

Roy Jones is in a fight this weekend, a 1 star fight as noted by boxrec

http://boxrec.com/date_search.php?yyyy=2011&mm=12&dd=10

How much lower can he go? I mean i am seriously thinking about lacing them up, after all, 'you beat a legend, you become a legend' ha.

But seriously, what is he doing?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Roy Jones has reached rock bottom...Unless! Empty Re: Roy Jones has reached rock bottom...Unless!

Post by Scottrf Tue 06 Dec 2011, 8:58 pm

Why you hating?

Get on the bandwagon:

https://www.606v2.com/t19562-roy-jones-vs-max-alexander-hype-thread

Y'all Must've Forgot!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Roy Jones has reached rock bottom...Unless! Empty Re: Roy Jones has reached rock bottom...Unless!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 Dec 2011, 9:08 pm

He's scared to put that part of his life behind him and be a normal guy.....Very hard when you have been in the spotlight and adored by many to turn your back on it....

For some fighters and celebs (Ie May West, Holy) they no longer have any self-identity but are living as..... the guy who people perceive them to be....stuck in their own celeb personas....

Scary for some people to analyse who they actually are and look at the inner person ....better to just be Holyfield, Jones, West, Bette Davis.. the celeb...

Also scary to have a purpose in your life one minute ...and then to find yourself waking up with the rest of your life in front of you and nothing to fill the void and give you self-esteem...as they get theior confidence and self-pride from their work....

shouldn't mock these people they are in every walk of life..from politicians to actors...

Great bit in Rocky 4 when Creed is round Rocky's house watching the video of their first fight...and begging him to let him fight Drago....Very true as well...finding it hard to know who the real Creed is and to cope with normal life..

As entertainers/fighters tend to live in a bubble.....which acts as a comfort blanket!!!

These people live to work not work to live..

Shouldn't be mocked either...because they are living in denial..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by NathanDB10 Tue 06 Dec 2011, 9:16 pm

Think I'll go in the garden and eat some snails. Never tried them before.

NathanDB10

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 Dec 2011, 9:18 pm

We won't notice if you go..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 06 Dec 2011, 9:19 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Great bit in Rocky 4 when Creed is round Rocky's house watching the video of their first fight...and begging him to let him fight Drago

I find the whole Creed character in Rocky 4 just stupid if im honest. In Rocky 3 he is a clever and shrewd man who helps Rocky win back his title. In Rocky 4 he is a bumbling idiot willing to die brutally and publicly to prove...erm...nothing really. Oh well yeah there was that 'us against them' nonsense...

On a serious note I tried explaining on another thread (Enzo Mac comeback I think) that these people do this for a living and prehaps we should respect that even if we dont agree with it

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 06 Dec 2011, 9:25 pm

Hard to tell whether Jones is fighting on for the more deep and meaningful reasons Truss has stated, or because of his highly publicized financial struggles. My guess is that it's a combination of both.

Either way, I have absolutely no desire to watch this fight.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 06 Dec 2011, 9:26 pm

I respect Roy, and beyond the jokes there are real concerns. Thing is, e is still in th elimelight, he is on HBO every month at least, he can be as big an ambassador for the sport as he likes. He can't possibly enjoy the trianing at his age and the fights, well, there just turning into legacy diluters. Holy need s the money so i hear, but Roy, someone posted on here that he is minted and HBO must pay him a decent amount?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 06 Dec 2011, 9:30 pm

Anyway...dont all you people come on here talking about Roy Jones Jnr in his prime. How do you think Max Alexander feels? At least Roy had a prime...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 06 Dec 2011, 9:33 pm

Nothing beats being centre-stage...It's why Ali carried on so long....

you live through the fighter (character you are perceived to be) and not yourself.....

You forget who you are....

Like I say you live in a bubble and like hatton normality can be abhorrent and difficult to deal with!!!

Maybe their are monetary reasons in some cases..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 06 Dec 2011, 10:34 pm

Roy Jones is an advert for the ban boxing brigade.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 06 Dec 2011, 11:02 pm

With guys like Jones and Holyfield the outcry is more based on how far they have fallen from their best.

If they were just regular fighters or journeymen plying their trade nobody would care.

I dont really have a problem with them fighting on if the fight at the according level. Holyfield v Botha/Neilsen for instance. Two old guys past their best but still competing. Holmes, Duran, Foreman and many others did it.

The big concern for me is when they are overmatched. If they just fought guys a similar level it wouldnt be much of an issue but Holyfield against a Klitschko, Duran against Joppy or Jones against some of those heavy hitting cruisers is something that should be avoided.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Dec 2011, 11:07 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He's scared to put that part of his life behind him and be a normal guy.....Very hard when you have been in the spotlight and adored by many to turn your back on it....

For some fighters and celebs (Ie May West, Holy) they no longer have any self-identity but are living as..... the guy who people perceive them to be....stuck in their own celeb personas....

Scary for some people to analyse who they actually are and look at the inner person ....better to just be Holyfield, Jones, West, Bette Davis.. the celeb...

Also scary to have a purpose in your life one minute ...and then to find yourself waking up with the rest of your life in front of you and nothing to fill the void and give you self-esteem...as they get theior confidence and self-pride from their work....

shouldn't mock these people they are in every walk of life..from politicians to actors...

Great bit in Rocky 4 when Creed is round Rocky's house watching the video of their first fight...and begging him to let him fight Drago....Very true as well...finding it hard to know who the real Creed is and to cope with normal life..

As entertainers/fighters tend to live in a bubble.....which acts as a comfort blanket!!!

I totally agree, I think this & your later post are bang on. Like most I have no interest in watching this & hope at some point soon he quits for good. Was a massive fan back in the day but now I find it tragic how he has ended up, certainly dont mock him though.

Back to top Go down

Post by NathanDB10 Wed 07 Dec 2011, 12:56 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:We won't notice if you go..

Maybe the Rocky reference went over your head.

NathanDB10

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 07 Dec 2011, 1:00 am

NathanDB10 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:We won't notice if you go..

Maybe the Rocky reference went over your head.

'I said "nails" Stallion'

I got it Smile

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by cave_man_KO Wed 07 Dec 2011, 10:51 am

88Chris05 wrote:Hard to tell whether Jones is fighting on for the more deep and meaningful reasons Truss has stated, or because of his highly publicized financial struggles. My guess is that it's a combination of both.

Either way, I have absolutely no desire to watch this fight.

To be honest the money struggles and "more deep and meaningful reasons" arent entirely unrelated...infact far from it. Money is the ultimate barometer of a persons self worth.

At the end of the day these "idols" of ours, and in fairness many talk about roy as one of the finest to lace 'em up, are normal human beings propeeled to a level that is really beyond comprehension unless you expirience it.

The high yo fly, the further you fall. It is a shame when people cannot accept this, and that it is true what goes up must come down.

I seriously hope we dont see Roy fight on much longer, infact that this is his last fight. He was shot before the calzaghe fight and shouldnt be in a ring. He might be able to raise it for a round or two, as anyone with his natural ability would do.

I personally would like to see him onthe mic a fair bit more, as his commentary I find is usually bang on

cave_man_KO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Dec 2011, 10:32 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He's scared to put that part of his life behind him and be a normal guy.....Very hard when you have been in the spotlight and adored by many to turn your back on it....

Superb summary but it doesn't help me to get on board with Bruce Forsyth.

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:09 am

RJJ is a disgrace to boxing

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:10 am

coxy0001 wrote:RJJ is a disgrace to boxing

What do you weigh Coxy. The way Roy is going I could see you having a matchup at some point Laugh

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Thu 08 Dec 2011, 2:36 am

If people didn't pay to watch them these old past it fighters they wouldn't fight. I remember when Foreman and Holmes wanted to fight each other at the age of 50 no promoter was interested in putting the show on. Who wants to watch two old men shuffling around the ring? Also the bodies that give them a license are partly to blame.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Fri 09 Dec 2011, 12:49 pm

Perhaps he is looking to sign off with a win, hopefully that is the case.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Sun 11 Dec 2011, 2:26 pm

Jones won by UD.

In the post match interview, Jones made a statment that is bound to upset boxing fans worldwide;
"I’m feeling wonderful. I want a cruiserweight title, the world title. This is just a start. I’m not through yet.”

Oh dear.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 11 Dec 2011, 2:31 pm

Well at least he picked cruiser

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down