The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shane Mosely vs Manny Pacquiao: Build up to the fight thread.

+8
ArchBritishchris
coxy0001
Imperial Ghosty
oxring
Rowley
HumanWindmill
BALTIMORA
D4thincarnation
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Shane Mosely vs Manny Pacquiao:  Build up to the fight thread. - Page 2 Empty Shane Mosely vs Manny Pacquiao: Build up to the fight thread.

Post by D4thincarnation Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

The biggest fight of the year is only 8 weeks away, it what should be an intriguing match up between two great attacking, power punching speedsters.

Manny Pacquiao maybe be the no.1 p4p fighter in the world but styles make fights and Shane's style could be Pacquiao undoing.

Manny although fighting at welter and at light-middle for his last fight is in reality still a lightweight at the most light-welter and will enter the ring around 148lbs mark while Shane will be expected to be around 160lbs giving him around a stone advantage.

As seen during the Margarito vs Mosley match up Shane used his physical strength to stifle Marg crowd him and not let him get his punches of.

Mosley is also a huge puncher, KO power in both hands and he has quick hands, has scored many a late KO in his career and will be dangerous throughout the fight.

When Mosley fought Mayweather he caught him with an overhand right that shook Floyd to his core and Mayweather was hanging on for dear life.

This was by no means Shane's best or biggest shot and with Pacquiao's open style we can expect Shane to catch Pacquiao with some big big punches.

Can Pacquiao survive punches like this? Shane is by far the most biggest puncher Pacquiao has faced and if Manny goes of the game plan as he has done in previous fight to show bravado, it could be a costly mistake.

Margarito caught Pacquiao 229 times during their fight and Shane is more accurate has fast hands and is a bigger puncher. If Pacquiao get caught up against the ropes against Shane it could be all over.

Shane did seem to gas out against Floyd but this was mainly down too his 17 months of ring rust and against Mora he put on another poor showing but was more active and was very unlucky not to get the decision.

But Shane never does well against defensive fighters like Mora, who is a middleweight, and Mayweather, he like boxers to come to him, throw punches and attack, that is what exactly what Pacquiao does.

Mosley is also and excellent body puncher and Pacquiao has been hurt to the body before.

Though Pacquiao is a huge puncher himself, Mosley has and iron chin, never been stopped and only down the once against Forrest after a clash of heads.

So can Pacquiao beat Mosley? He should be able to with his footwork, hand speed and skill but it is a dangerous fight for Pacquiao and with Manny looking for a KO he better be careful that Shane does not get one of his own.

How do you see this fight going? Could an upset be on the cards?

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Shane Mosely vs Manny Pacquiao:  Build up to the fight thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Shane Mosely vs Manny Pacquiao: Build up to the fight thread.

Post by D4thincarnation Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:41 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:D4, I've got a serious question.

Do you think that the fact that so many normally mild and well balanced contributors are constantly blowing a gasket with you just might be something to do with your inconsistency ?

Coxy is not mild or well balanced.

People should not discount Mosley, I didn't in the fight against Mayweather and I'm not in the Pacquiao fight. And with Pacquiao's style and Mosley size advantage an upset could be on the cards.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Shane Mosely vs Manny Pacquiao:  Build up to the fight thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Shane Mosely vs Manny Pacquiao: Build up to the fight thread.

Post by ArchBritishchris Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:42 pm

In the world right now the HW division is at an all time low. Haye vs Klitschko probably is not a big fight, because the division isn't very prestigious. Devon vs Tim or Nonito vs Fernando are arguably more important fights. Could well see Andre vs Carl in the final of the super six at the end of this year.

Mosely is still one of the major names of recent years, the comeback kid and always one never to take your eye of. If nothing else its a home coming fight for Mosely and his last chance for a title. We've seen Hopkins and Judah roll back the years, why not Sugar Shane. He has the power, the size and the experience, Pacquiao the speed, skill and workrate. Could well be a cracking contest. I'll be watching it anyway, two historical names battling it out.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:43 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:D4, I've got a serious question.

Do you think that the fact that so many normally mild and well balanced contributors are constantly blowing a gasket with you just might be something to do with your inconsistency ?

Coxy is not mild or well balanced.

Well, he's always been fine with me.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:44 pm

I want peoples view on the fight? The biggest fight of the year over 1.5 million people will shell out $50 for it. They all have a view some think Mosley will win, a lot of people in boxing are picking Mosley too.

Why can't some people debate this topic sensibly

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:45 pm

Alexander vs Bradley isn't anywhere near as important a fight. Even in revenue terms, the fact that only about six people and a Labrador called Frank turned up for it suggests it was a flop.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:48 pm

ArchBritishchris wrote:In the world right now the HW division is at an all time low. Haye vs Klitschko probably is not a big fight, because the division isn't very prestigious. Devon vs Tim or Nonito vs Fernando are arguably more important fights. Could well see Andre vs Carl in the final of the super six at the end of this year.

Mosely is still one of the major names of recent years, the comeback kid and always one never to take your eye of. If nothing else its a home coming fight for Mosely and his last chance for a title. We've seen Hopkins and Judah roll back the years, why not Sugar Shane. He has the power, the size and the experience, Pacquiao the speed, skill and workrate. Could well be a cracking contest. I'll be watching it anyway, two historical names battling it out.

Well said Froch vs Ward could be another huge fight this year.

I do think Haye vs Wlad will be a huge fight but mainly on this side of the Atlantic, in the Americas and the far east Pacquiao vs Mosley will be much bigger.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:48 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:Why can't some people debate this topic sensibly

A more valid question might be :

Why can those same ' people ' to whom you allude debate everything else perfectly sensibly. Better still, why don't I start a thread about this and you give me a firm undertaking that you'll stay out of it - just for the sake of experiment, you understand - and let's see if everybody can debate it sensibly then.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:52 pm

Here you go D4:

You made SWEET FA reference to him being a middle

"Mora is not top draw but at this stage in his career Mosley might not have enough to beat him."

"should outwork Mosley who poor condition will lose him the fight"

"Mosley is too old, and his poor condition should make this a UD for Mora."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A72510112

You D4, are a complete biased unobjective IDIOT - Somebody just bloody ban him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:54 pm

Look D4, I am absolutely with Windy on this. Myself and many of the others who berate you, coxy included, are relatively mild-mannered people who can manage to get along with the majority of other posters on here. Even when I have seen others come to heated debate:
A) it is rarely as ongoing as when you are involved
B) there is usually some form of compromise
C) there usually is a genuine atmosphere of enthused, impassioned discussion, and not simply one person antagonism others
D) I am yet to see the rest of the contributors to the board united so unanimously as they are when against you.

Everyone is well aware that you seek solely to wind people up, and I for one fully accept that I enter into discussion with you knowing this. However, it has become truly repetitive past the point of nauseum and you are without a doubt the single biggest cause of bad feeling on here.

Whatever your reasons for acting the wind-up: we get it. You're smart and funny and all those other complimentary superlatives. That you continue to act the way you do is a sad indictment indeed on your character. I for one wish you would cease the repetition and man-love for the Filipino or simply leave this board.

Last edited by BALTIMORA on Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : busy typing one-handed while strangling a prostitute with the other.)

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:55 pm

Yeah I called that fight wrong. I underestimated Mosley and he had shaken of that ring rust.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:57 pm

No D4, you mentioned "poor condition", "Too old" "Mosley might not have enough to beat him" ETC ETC ETC

NO MENTION OF RING RUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, can someone just ban this clown?!??!!?!?!??!

D4, the whole board is peed at you.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:58 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:Look D4, I am absolutely with Windy on this. Myself and many of the others who berate you, coxy included, are relatively mild-mannered people who can manage to get along with the majority of other posters on here. Even when I have seen others come to heated debate:
A) it is rarely as ongoing as when you are involved
B) there is usually some form of compromise
C) there usually is a genuine atmosphere of enthused, impassioned discussion, and not simply one person antagonism others
D) I am yet to see the rest of the contributors to the board united so unanimously as they are when against you.

Everyone is well aware that you seek solely to wind people up, and I for one fully accept that I enter into discussion with you knowing this. However, it has become truly repetitive past the point of nauseum and you are without a doubt the single biggest cause of bad feeling on here.

Whatever your reasons for acting the wind-up: we get it. You're smart and funny and all those other complimentary superlatives. That you continue to act the way you do is a sad indictment indeed on your character. I for one wish you would cease the repetition and man-love for the Filipino or simply leave this board.

This thread is not about me, it is about the Mosley vs Pacquiao fight, if you wish to comment on that then comment if not, then don't they are plenty of other good threads about to comment on.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:59 pm

We may not like it but history tells us that the biggest fights are almost always in the Heavyweight division, most of us I would assume could trace the title from Sullivan to the present day with few breaks in some cases no breaks. The same cannot be said of any other division and in the grand scheme of things a unification fight between Heavyweights will be rememebered far better than a fight at Welterweight with the exception of Leonard vs Duran/Hearns.

The finances don't dictate how big a fight is, rather it's the standing it holds in history that is more important.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:04 pm

D4 I'm glad you made the distinction between good threads and your threads. Instead of avoiding criticism why not do something about it?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:05 pm

D4, you just don't get it do you? Your views are contradictory with what you'e said in the past, we're not attacking you personally just because it's you - we're all having a massive go at you because we all remember what you had to say about Mosley before and after the FMJ fight, not to mention what you thought of him prior to Mora (old, shot, past it ETC)...

We're not stupid, unlike yourself. We're not goldfish, we were all there when you labelled him with all those derogatory comments i've highlighted (i could spend the next hour finding another 30 but i can't be bothered) above. And now you expect us to have a civilised discussion about a fight we ALL thinks a joke and more to the point involving a fight you've labelled as "shot, past it etc" and are now trying to pathetically hype this up as being competitive?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!??!

This is why we all have a massive issue with you, and to be honest most would just like you to sod off so we can actually discuss the subject with various degrees of objectivity. Not to mention any subject that involves your irrational hatred or love for 2 respective fighters.

Have i made myself perfectly clear? In case i haven't - you're contradictory, repetitive and a brown stain on this forum, much like how you turned various excellent posters away from the old 606 you'll end up doing the same here unless you decide to do the decent thing and either shut up or become objective.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:07 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:This thread is not about me, it is about the Mosley vs Pacquiao fight, if you wish to comment on that then comment if not, then don't they are plenty of other good threads about to comment on.

On the contrary, it IS about you, and it is so of your own volition, since you DELIBERATELY push buttons. You know exactly that just about everybody in cyberspace regards Mosley as being past it, yet you provoke everybody here by calling it ' the biggest fight ' or ' a great welterweight match up, ' etc., etc. Your tactics are transparently obvious and, quite frankly, utterly selfish, since you are irritating so many folks who might wish to discuss Pacquiao in a balanced way. You have single handedly made Pacquiao a no - go area.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:12 pm

Mosley is a great fighter he is past his past but poses a significant threat to Pacquiao as shown against Mayweather in the 2nd round and this threat will be magnified against Pacquiao because of his style.

This will be great fight.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:15 pm

He landed two punches of not against Mayweather who played into Mosleys hands by standing toe to toe yet he still had far too much for him. I don't see how a boxer who posed no real threat to Mora is going to pose a threat against Pacquiao. It is sadly the biggest fight Pacquiao could have made but that in no way makes it a great fight, it's akin to Wlad beating Chagaev.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:16 pm

Wlad v haye is the biggest fight of the year, regardless of mannys cash cow status.

Mosley is over the hill, floyd owned him. Floyd also withstood his biggest shots. Mosley looked poor against Mora too, wont have won a boxing match for 28 months by the time he climbs through the ropes.

Mosley may be a good puncher but his legs have gone. Therefore he will not be able to keep pace with a mobile, energitic, high octane fighter like manny. He may have his moments early on because of mannys open style, but manny will out move and outland him. Mosley will take a beating and manny will become the first person to stop him, somewhere around the 9th round would be my bet.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:16 pm

Can someone please just ban this clown for a week or so, so we can see if the problem is him or everyone else?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:19 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:This thread is not about me, it is about the Mosley vs Pacquiao fight, if you wish to comment on that then comment if not, then don't they are plenty of other good threads about to comment on.

On the contrary, it IS about you, and it is so of your own volition, since you DELIBERATELY push buttons. You know exactly that just about everybody in cyberspace regards Mosley as being past it, yet you provoke everybody here by calling it ' the biggest fight ' or ' a great welterweight match up, ' etc., etc. Your tactics are transparently obvious and, quite frankly, utterly selfish, since you are irritating so many folks who might wish to discuss Pacquiao in a balanced way. You have single handedly made Pacquiao a no - go area.

It is clearly no the case many people give Mosley a chance and some tip him to beat Pacquiao. This is the biggest fight of the year, more people will watch it and it will generate the most money. It is a great welterweight fight, between the no.1 welter and the no.2 welter active welter.

Many boxing analyst, trainer, boxers have tipped Mosley, but I has said Pacquiao will win but this is boxing and it just take one punch to change a fight.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:20 pm

The heavyweight division isn't very big anymore. A look at the top 20 is not an appealing sight. Mormeck, Adamek and Haye are poised to dominate, why are we not watching CW instead. A unification fight in a talent barren division isn't an especially important fight. Fact is outside of Europe, Haye and Klitschko are unknown. Its 3 belts anyway, perhaps if all the belts were up for grabs. Personally, even though I am British, this fight will probably not make my top 5 this year.

The talent at LWW is a different matter. Probably the most skilled division currently in boxing. Bradley and Alexander, two top p4p fighters, with genuine boxing ability. I'm not a 'heavyweight' fan, p4p this fight and Donaire vs Montiel are bigger. If Gamboa and Lopez get it on this year all bets are off.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:20 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:Mosley is a great fighter he is past his past but poses a significant threat to Pacquiao as shown against Mayweather in the 2nd round and this threat will be magnified against Pacquiao because of his style.

This will be great fight.

Just like he posed a significant threat to Mora then eh? Remind me, how good did he look in that fight against a guy who is average at very best who got whooped in his next fight?!?!!??!!!!?!!!!!!?!!

How will it be a great fight??! He couldn't lay a glove on Mora or FMJ save for a few decent punches, FMJ even stood in range and took the fight to him FFS!!! IN YOUR OWN WORDS "HIS CONDITION AND AGE MEANS HE'LL LOSE AGAINST MORA!!" How do you expect him to stand and trade when you've previously said his condition is such that he'll just struggle and lose to such great fighters as Mora?

Actually, don't bother replying because i and we've shown you up enough already.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:21 pm

D4 you said the same about manny v margarito - that it would be a great fight. The only thing great about it was that marg got handed a one sided beat down.

You say look who manny had to beat to become no1 at welter - to my knowledge at 147lb he has beaten de la hoya and clottey (cotto was at a catchweight).

Manny mosley may do more money but this is due to mannys cash cow status. He could fight kell brook and that would probably make more money than every other fight - would that be the biggest fight of the year also? ask yourself this;

What fight would you rather happen D4 - manny v mosley or haye v wlad?

Last edited by Sugar Boy Sweetie on Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:23 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:Can someone please just ban this clown for a week or so, so we can see if the problem is him or everyone else?

I'm with Baltimora

But can we ban him for a whole month instead and then lets see how much better the forum is?

Something needs to be done.

ADMINS - Do something! One individual is the problem, note how we were all behaving until this idiot decided to start off on his own agenda - he ruined the old 606 for many many posters - don't let him do the same here.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Chris you are completely missing the point, History dictates that Wlad/Haye will be more remembered than Pacquiao/Mosley. The money issue doesn't matter at all, try telling me that Haye/Harrison was a bigger fight than Khan/Maidana.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:27 pm

Khan vs Maidana will be the fight people remember, people are trying to forgot Audley vs Haye.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:30 pm

Mora usually boxes at middleweight, the guy is abut 6ft. He didn't put up a good show in his last fight, but did move up to SMW. I thought Mosely won that fight anyway. Some people as I remember built up Mosely before the Mayweather fight, suddenly now he's to old. He was out for 17 months before the Mayweather fight, this time round he has participated in two fights in the last 12 months. Its worth a shout and a debate, Mosely is always in the contest. No one is saying its the fight of Pacquiao's career, but it could still be a tricky fight or an upset.

There are differences between Pacquiao and Mayweather in terms of size. Pacquiao has moved up considerably in his career and there must be some doubt as to his ability to handle larger opponents. Twelve rounds is a long time and Mosely may not have to catch him with many punches. What will happen if he lands some of his biggest shots, Mosely punches harder than Margarito and possibly even Cotto.

Last edited by ArchBritishchris on Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edit)

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:37 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:D4 you said the same about manny v margarito - that it would be a great fight. The only thing great about it was that marg got handed a one sided beat down.

You say look who manny had to beat to become no1 at welter - to my knowledge at 147lb he has beaten de la hoya and clottey (cotto was at a catchweight).

Manny mosley may do more money but this is due to mannys cash cow status. He could fight kell brook and that would probably make more money than every other fight - would that be the biggest fight of the year also? ask yourself this;

What fight would you rather happen D4 - manny v mosley or haye v wlad?

Haye vs Wlad for me because it will add something to their legacy, while Manny has already reach the pinnacle of the sport and his place in the ATG list is secured.

But worldwide Manny vs Mosley will be the much more popular fight, mainly because the Heavyweight division is in the doldrums and there has not been a great fight in that division for many years.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:39 pm

Thank you D4 you just proved my point and disproved yours

Chris there are no differences in size between Pacquiao and Mayweather, Pacquiao was a huge huge flyweight and a far bigger Super Featherweight than Mayweather was , think it's time people drop the assumption that fighting at lower weights makes you smaller.. it does not.

There's also a big difference coming off a dominating win of the Welterweight champion and coming off a dominating loss and a draw.

Try as you must you two, this simply isn't a big fight, it lacks any real credibility and you clutching at straws proclaiming ring rust and over training just shows it. You would receive far more respect if you just admitted that at this stage it's a mismatch.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:44 pm

imperialghosty wrote:Thank you D4 you just proved my point and disproved yours

Chris there are no differences in size between Pacquiao and Mayweather, Pacquiao was a huge huge flyweight and a far bigger Super Featherweight than Mayweather was , think it's time people drop the assumption that fighting at lower weights makes you smaller.. it does not.

There's also a big difference coming off a dominating win of the Welterweight champion and coming off a dominating loss and a draw.

Try as you must you two, this simply isn't a big fight, it lacks any real credibility and you clutching at straws proclaiming ring rust and over training just shows it. You would receive far more respect if you just admitted that at this stage it's a mismatch.

How exactly do you see the fight going? Why is it such a mismatch?

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:47 pm

I'm not a heavyweight fan, i'd rather watch historic fights at WW and LW. In the p4p stakes, not that many HWs are p4p top 20. If its a poor era, I doubt the contestants will be remembered. Its still only 3 titles, wouldn't say its a major deal. Judah and others have held 3 titles, it wasn't treated in historic terms. Holyfield vs Douglas isn't a very famous fight, certainly not a classic. Ask Joe Public and they wouldn't know such a fight had happened, everyone's heard of Tyson vs Douglas. Big names and ability make the difference, not holding belts.

Everyone's heard of the famous 3, Dempsey, Louis. But most people haven't heard of Walcott or Charles, nor Burns, Corbett, etc. Now, most of the HWs are unknown. People in the UK and Europe will talk about it, but outside I doubt it will be remembered or revered. The Haye vs Klitsch fight wouldn't sell in the US or outside Europe. A match up between two fighters in an average divison, not widely watched in the world. Its a European fight, not a global one.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:50 pm

It's a mismatch because Pacquiao is simply too good of Mosley at this stage of his career and as much as it pains me to say it can see Mosley being stopped on his feet for the first time. His main attributes were speed and power, he still appears to have the power but he was ridiculously outsped by Mayweather even though he stood and traded.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:53 pm

So much for building up the 'big' fight. I won't be staying up until four or five in the morning to watch it. Anybody who'd be willing to pay $50 for it needs their head looking at.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:54 pm

Let's be honest, ANY Pacquiao fight is going to sell because he's a global superstar. Ali had everybody watching when he fought Richard Dunn, and for the same reason.

As a match up, Ali v Dunn stank, and so does Manny v Shane.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:55 pm

There were at the last time of asking 5 heavyweights in the top 20 according to ring magazine and the IBRO have 5/6.

There are some lower division fights that transcend the sport but Pacquiao/Mosley isn't one of them

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:58 pm

Pacquiao started out at Light Flyweight, he's moved up 9 weight divisions and created historic feets. Its necessitated adding huge amounts of weight onto his frame. There are always limits to how high a fighter can move up in weight divisions. After a while they become slower and less mobile, the opponents are to large and powerful. Pacquiao has set world records with the number of weight divisions he has held world titles in. No one else has been able to compete successfully in as many divisions as Pacquiao.

While, Mosely is a naturally larger opponent - 12 years at WW and above. He is an expert at knocking out and absorbing shots from opponents naturally physically stronger than Pacquiao. Could Paquiao beat MWs or reign supreme at LMW? Technically, DLH would need to hold titles at LHW to equal Pacquiao's records. There are limits to what Pacquiao is able to achieve, to fighters he can compete with in terms of size. High WW must be a difficult area, we are talking Felix Trinidad, Sugar Ray Robinson, Thomas Hearns, etc.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:00 pm

It'll perhaps transcend the sport insofar as an exercise on money-making. That's it.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:04 pm

We heard all the gumph about Cotto, Clottey and Margarito being bigger, hitting harder though, so that's no longer enough to sell this fight to the discerning public.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:09 pm

But Chris Pacquiao was never a flyweight, he used to rehydrate ridiculous amounts of weight in the lower divisions, which part of that do you not understand, oh yes because his record on Boxrec doesn't tell you the whole truth. Mosley isn't the same fighter he was and you don't live off past glories when your clearly far from your best. He's titles with a 38lb difference, it demonstrates how easy it is to win titles at multiples below Light Welterweight where the differences are a few pounds, Jones jr won titles at 160lbs and 200lbs plus a far bigger difference but that only covers 5 weights.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:12 pm

This fight is a mismatch and should be viewed as such. I can see a thorough beating for SSM. It will be a sustained and painful beating as pac doesn't hit that hard at WW and SSM takes a good dig.

But SSM has an equaliser and the beauty of boxing is that one punch can change everything. SSM has that puncher's chance. He will lose though....and lose badly and brutally.

Sooo, I'm going to bet on SSM getting lucky.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:18 pm

Pacquiao doesn't hit that hard, but he still managed to turn Margarito's face into burger meat, and dropped Cotto more than Margarito and Mosley both managed.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:20 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:Pacquiao doesn't hit that hard, but he still managed to turn Margarito's face into burger meat, and dropped Cotto more than Margarito and Mosley both managed.

I'm going by what ODLH said. Also you dont have to hit hard to turn a face to mush. If he hit hard he would have ko'd those guys. I mean a hatton style ko.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:22 pm

The HW division is overrated. It doesn't produced the most skillfull or talented fighters in my opinion. The top p4p stars, Robinson, Greb, Armstrong, Pep, Arguello, Leonard, Hagler, Olivares, Canzoneri etc, are ahead of their more cumbersome colleages. The Ring have five WW champs in the top 10 and 5 MWs in the top 11. Right now, I would take a great many lower division fights over the HW division.

Not to harp on, but even domestically the Benn vs Eubank fights, McGuigan, Hamed, Hatton, Calzaghe, Honeyghan were as big as any HW contests. I could live without the HW division and would be as/ even more happy to watch Strawweight or Flyweight. Calderon vs Segura II - thats what I'll be watching.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:27 pm

Azania that is true, but Pacquiao inflicted worse punishment on those guys than they did on each other, and they're both supposed to be solid welters.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:38 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:Azania that is true, but Pacquiao inflicted worse punishment on those guys than they did on each other, and they're both supposed to be solid welters.

I'd like to see how many punches were landed on Cotto and marg by Pac. I'll almost guarantee that pac landed a huge amount. His punches sting more that hurt. But punches in bunches will cause welts etc. If Pac was a bit solid hitter, they would have been hattoned.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:39 pm

How many 4 weight world champs are there and how many are still competing? 5-6-7 weights? Holding world titles in 3 weight divisions is difficult enough, how many British or European fighters have managed to do this? RJJ competed in 1 fight at HW, how many MWs have held HW titles? Two, him and Fitzsimmons who boxed over one hundred years ago. Why doesn't Mayweather compete at MW then and beat Pavlik or Martinez, Eubank could have boxed long term at CW? Its actually a tremendous physical challenge to add weight and be able to compete in a high tempo, athletic contest. Nevermind to absorb punches in fight after fight. Cotto dropped 1 lbs and was apparently weight drained, some fighters add 4 lbs and are unable to compete.

Every fighter has a peak weight where it becomes more difficult and as they move up in weight divisions they come closer to it. Arguello wasn't the same at LWW, DLH struggled at MW, Duran struggled at higher weight levels, Barrera and Morales have not looked the same above SFW. Can't see Cotto unifying LMW and certainly not holding a MW title. Asking a fighter to be as invinceable a fighter 4 weight divisions up is an ask, nevermind in his 9th. Mosely is a powerful puncher with formidable strength, he could cause Pacquiao problems in these areas. Punch resistance is probably the leading factor that reduces as fighters move up divisions.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:42 pm

ArchBritishchris wrote:The HW division is overrated. It doesn't produced the most skillfull or talented fighters in my opinion. The top p4p stars, Robinson, Greb, Armstrong, Pep, Arguello, Leonard, Hagler, Olivares, Canzoneri etc, are ahead of their more cumbersome colleages. The Ring have five WW champs in the top 10 and 5 MWs in the top 11. Right now, I would take a great many lower division fights over the HW division.

Not to harp on, but even domestically the Benn vs Eubank fights, McGuigan, Hamed, Hatton, Calzaghe, Honeyghan were as big as any HW contests. I could live without the HW division and would be as/ even more happy to watch Strawweight or Flyweight. Calderon vs Segura II - thats what I'll be watching.

Thats probably because there are fewer people that big to compete at heavyweight. Most of the world's population are below LightHeavies in terms of their natural weight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:55 pm

How many straight right leads can Pacquiao take from Mosely? He's had wobbily moments against Margarito and Cotto. Mosely landed some big punches against Mayweather in round 2 and had him realing. Mayweather is a defensive fighter, Pacquiao isn't. He may not find it as easy to avoid these large punches. I doubt Pacquiao is some sort of iron jawed fighter, a couple of round 2's and there could be problems. Fine, perhaps Mosely is finished and he'll come out and receive a pasting. But, we may not see that Mosely. Could just be an interesting fight for historical reasons or one last bash from an ageing champ. But, I wouldn't mind tuning in anyway.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:00 pm

ArchBritishchris wrote:How many straight right leads can Pacquiao take from Mosely? He's had wobbily moments against Margarito and Cotto. Mosely landed some big punches against Mayweather in round 2 and had him realing. Mayweather is a defensive fighter, Pacquiao isn't. He may not find it as easy to avoid these large punches. I doubt Pacquiao is some sort of iron jawed fighter, a couple of round 2's and there could be problems. Fine, perhaps Mosely is finished and he'll come out and receive a pasting. But, we may not see that Mosely. Could just be an interesting fight for historical reasons or one last bash from an ageing champ. But, I wouldn't mind tuning in anyway.

I'll watch it.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next