The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone watching Khan? ()Including result discussion)

+27
Captain Lucas
OasisBFC
manos de piedra
jimdig
JDandfries
Waingro
mikeymax71
Adam D
DaveVDK
Strongback
PPVxHOTTY
trottb
Incrediblexman
The Galveston Giant
djlovesyou
tommyhearnsprodigalson
supremeskills
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
joeyjojo618
School Project
Yojimbonufc
paperbag_puncher
bellchees
88Chris05
ShahenshahG
alanqlm
Seanusarrilius
31 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Anyone watching Khan? ()Including result discussion) - Page 3 Empty Anyone watching Khan? ()Including result discussion)

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 11 Dec 2011, 4:16 am

First topic message reminder :

Chat here if you are.

Firstly. Haye in the ring i see

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Anyone watching Khan? ()Including result discussion) - Page 3 Empty Re: Anyone watching Khan? ()Including result discussion)

Post by manos de piedra Sun 11 Dec 2011, 10:41 am

Think you could argue that this fight could have gone either way as it was genuinely close.

But with regards Khan, it does appear the old vulnerbilities are still there. If you close off space and pressure him, for all his speed and skills in other departments, he looks pretty ordinary.

I expected him to win this reasonably comfortably in all honesty as Peterson was really outskilled in most departments. But he showed up Khan in some ways by simply closing him down and Khan is just vulnerable in certain areas. The Maidana fight was considered the passing of the test against a pressure fighter who could punch, but the razor close nature of the fight seemed to be forgotten about with all the focus on the win. Still not convnced Khan can deal with these kind of fighters consistently and Peterson was able to highlight this weakness again. If Peterson can beat him in that fashion I would have to say Bradley is more than capable aswell who enjoys coming forward with the head! Khan couldnt deal with it effectively.

I think overall Khan is just a very unbalanced fighter. Certain styles make him look better than he is, certain styles make him look worse than he is. He needs to find a better balance to his boxing and tactics to take advantage of his natural speed and skills and to protect his weaknesses. I think hes always going to look bad against good pressure fighters or swarmers and its no real surprise that his closest fights against Peterson and Maidana have been mandatory fights as opposed to voluntary ones.

Im not sure if he will be lucky in getting a rematch as I would guess that Peterson will want to try and capitalise on his titles for at least one easyish defence given the kind of life he has had, and Khan wasnt rushing to give Maidana a rematch either after their FOTY! If he was intending to move to 147, then recapturing his titles off Peterson wont really actual do a whole lot as I think Bradley should now be seen as the number one in the division. So unless Khan intends to recapture his titles with the intention of unifying 140 then he might be better off just making the move to 147 now and having a few fights there to get into title contention. Somebody like Mosely might offer a decent entry into the division. But looking at the guys at 147 I think Ortiz, Mayweather and Pacquiao would beat him at the moment so its possible Khan may need to slow a down a bit and stay at 140 for the moment.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Anyone watching Khan? ()Including result discussion) - Page 3 Empty Re: Anyone watching Khan? ()Including result discussion)

Post by OasisBFC Sun 11 Dec 2011, 11:57 am

i dont think peterson has got anywhere to go as champ thats better than Khan. and none that would earn him the money he'd get for Khan. especially now as champ.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:01 pm

OasisBFC wrote:i dont think peterson has got anywhere to go as champ thats better than Khan. and none that would earn him the money he'd get for Khan. especially now as champ.

Why not Bradley? An all American unification match and a chance to avenge a previous defeat. Plus he may want to a couple of soft defences of his titles rather than risk losing them immediately.

I think he has several options at 140 myself. I wouldnt rule out a rematch with Khan but I wouldnt see it as his only course of action.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:03 pm

Has anyone got the official scorecards?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:04 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
OasisBFC wrote:i dont think peterson has got anywhere to go as champ thats better than Khan. and none that would earn him the money he'd get for Khan. especially now as champ.

Why not Bradley? An all American unification match and a chance to avenge a previous defeat. Plus he may want to a couple of soft defences of his titles rather than risk losing them immediately.

I think he has several options at 140 myself. I wouldnt rule out a rematch with Khan but I wouldnt see it as his only course of action.

I would agree that bradley is a good option. The only problem is bradley was convincing in his victory and bradley isn't a huge draw due to his style. Khan needs to fold into peterson's demands, i would have the fight in vegas as the 1st fight was very entertaining and no-one will have a home-town advantage.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Lucas Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:20 pm

Khan doesn't box with flair and that's shocking when you consider his speed and combination punching. His footwork and defence is horrible. Look at Cotto last week, for example - boxing on the back-foot. Khan's movement was terrible and he's still got a lot to work on.

Captain Lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:21 pm

He has little head movement, his defence is all about footwork. I think roach should teach him head movement as it will help him slip shots if he ever gets caught on the ropes again

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:22 pm

http://twitter.com/#!/SkySportsFraser/status/145738294964129792/photo/1

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by skimpton Sun 11 Dec 2011, 1:17 pm

Just finished watching the fight without knowing result before hand.
I scored it a draw but would accept a close win either way.
The 2 deductions definitiely made a difference but Khan was IMO fouling a lot from the middle of the fight onwards; pushing down and grabbing far too much for my liking.
I thought the first 9 rounds were easy to score and it was how anyone viewed the last 3 that could swing the fight either way.
In 10 and 11 if you like aggression and power punches then Peterson, if you like more flurrries then Khan.
My scores
Khan Peterson
10-8
10-9
9-10
9-10
10-9
10-9
8-10 with point deduction
9-10
10-9
10-10?
10-10?
9-10? with point deduction
114-114

skimpton

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 11 Dec 2011, 2:38 pm

For me:
K(8)KPPKKP(8)PKKPE.

113-112 Khan, wouldn't complain either way.

Showed a lot of the vulnerabilities Khan showed in the Maidana fight. Could see that happening but not with such regularity. Worrying.

His jab is nowhere near as effective if you don't stay out of range and try to box with him, and his ring generalship is non existent. Not sure it changes masses other than takes him out of contention for a Mayweather fight.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 11 Dec 2011, 2:55 pm

Off the top of my head from memory, I had this.

R1 - Khan 10 Peterson 8
R2 - Khan 10 Peterson 9
R3 - Khan 9 Peterson 10
R4 - Khan 9 Peterson 10
R5 - Khan 10 Peterson 9
R6 - Khan 10 Peterson 9
R7 - Khan 8 Peterson 10
R8 - Khan 10 Peterson 9
R9 - Khan 10 Peterson 9
R10 - Khan 10 Peterson 9
R11 - Khan 10 Peterson 9
R12 - Khan 8 Peterson 10

Which is how I got to my 114-111 score in Khan's favour. Still feel that Khan has been unlucky, though a couple of rounds off the top of my head (if memory serves, again) such as the eighth and tenth were tough to score.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sun 11 Dec 2011, 3:04 pm

I thought Peterson done enough to win the fight and had him ahead by 2 points at the final bell. Khan should take it like a man rather than all this crybaby stuff, at the end of the day he fouled repeatedly and was warned plenty of times before the point deductions so i cant see what he is moaning about. In truth he was fouling all night with the pushing, holding, headlocks, elbows and he even got a cheapshot in when the ref called break. However he needed to use them tactics because I think if he had fought without the fouling he would have been handed a far more conclusive defeat.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakeyman123 Sun 11 Dec 2011, 3:33 pm

Khan's attitude during the fight was embarassing...holding, pushing down Peterson's head, pushing away, constantly complaining to the referee, turning his back whilst under attack from Peterson, ridiculous showboating whilst eating uppercuts..He then displayed a complete lack of humility in the post fight interview..an utter embarassment.. Freddie Roach just stands by letting him make a dick of himself......

Snakeyman123

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Lucas Sun 11 Dec 2011, 3:41 pm

Khan didn't fight like the champion. He has a lot to learn and his feetwork was horrible. Peterson deserved the nod!

Captain Lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Sun 11 Dec 2011, 3:47 pm

Tbh the fight did not surprise me. Khan is very overrated people would laugh when I said Brook would beat him but imo he is better than Khan and would have schooled Peterson. People saying Khan would beat Mayweather need to wake up! Mayweather is a different class the fight would not be close.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 11 Dec 2011, 4:12 pm

School Project wrote:The fact is, Khan reacts poorly under pressure. He has done since he became a pro. On the inside, he is clueless.

That is what cost him the fight. He looked very negative, very uncomfortable and his inexperience on the inside made him look very poor.

I wouldn't call it a hometown decision as such, just a scrappy fight that he was mugged from, mainly because of his own doing. Another question I would ask is how much did he overlook Peterson? Did he not respect this fight as much because he was looking at other fights?

Right with you there SP!

I thought the Sky commentary made too much of Peterson's attacks and I didn't feel that Khan was hurt or in danger of going down, however, LP won a lot of points just for his aggression and work rate on the inside as Amir didn't fight out of it.

He was terrible on the inside.

Full credit to LP, was billed as boxer but quickly realised he needed more hustle and duly applied it, was nice to see a guy with a backup plan and successfully deploy it. Khan had no answer to many of his attacks, although as I said, I didn't think he was ever hurt too much, he simply lost too many of those inside exchanges.

When Khan did fight back, he looked the better fighter and in the eighth I thought he could have forced another knockdown.

It was a super close fight and showed many fears from the Maidana fight for Khan, i.e. a quicker, smarter inside fighter will give Khan hell!!!

Great fight to watch, full credit to both guys and especially LP.

Wish Khan had fired back a bit more and taken it away on the score cards though!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3