The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spoiler : Khan fight

+34
owen10ozzy
88Chris05
Rowley
The Galveston Giant
von trapp
tcribb
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
AlexHuckerby
tunes666
J.Benson II
BoxingFan88
ONETWOFOREVER
School Project
All Time Great
Pekchenko
manos de piedra
Day V Lately
jimdig
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
milkyboy
Peacehavenboy
Fists of Fury
The genius of PBF
coxy0001
Sugar Floyd Louis
HumanWindmill
Imperial Ghosty
ShahenshahG
JDandfries
fearlessBamber
Il Gialloblu
OasisBFC
Waingro
lovely_london
38 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Spoiler : Khan fight Empty Spoiler : Khan fight

Post by lovely_london Sun 11 Dec 2011, 9:44 am

how will this loss affect him? will he still move up in weight? will a rematch happen? will he fight bradley now?

will mayweather v khan happen in 2012 like khan wanted?

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Spoiler : Khan fight Empty Re: Spoiler : Khan fight

Post by Waingro Sun 11 Dec 2011, 9:48 am

He will fight someone washed up to look good against them then people will start saying he is world class!. No chance he will fight Mayweather who would destroy him I reckon he will fight Morales who is washed up now.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sun 11 Dec 2011, 9:57 am

come on mate, not everyone has watched the fight yet. putting that in the title is an ultimate spoiler.

personally i dont think it'll effect him too much to be honest. he'll get a re-match, he'll probably win then he'll move to welter.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Sun 11 Dec 2011, 10:20 am

Agree about the thread title.

I'm surprised that he has lost on points to anyone other than Mayweather though, as I thought he was that good technically he would have only lost to someone who was an underdog going in to a KO or TKO.

Shows how much I know. Run
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Sun 11 Dec 2011, 10:21 am

Change the title you pointless wum.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Sun 11 Dec 2011, 10:23 am

Given how ungracious Khan and his team have been, I hope Peterson refuses to grant him a re-match!

On the title, u can expect to come onto a boxing forum, in fact the internet at all, and not see the result somehwere

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Sun 11 Dec 2011, 10:26 am

JDandfries wrote:Given how ungracious Khan and his team have been, I hope Peterson refuses to grant him a re-match!

On the title, u can expect to come onto a boxing forum, in fact the internet at all, and not see the result somehwere

I don't think Peterson should offer him a rematch. Khan was very distasteful.

And on the title it is obvious if you go onto a boxing forum you will see the result. It's not rocket science.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Sun 11 Dec 2011, 10:28 am

lovely_london wrote:
JDandfries wrote:Given how ungracious Khan and his team have been, I hope Peterson refuses to grant him a re-match!

And on the title it is obvious if you go onto a boxing forum you will see the result. It's not rocket science.

It is when there are people like you whose only aim is to cause disruption.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Sun 11 Dec 2011, 10:33 am

fearlessBamber wrote:
lovely_london wrote:

It is when there are people like you whose only aim is to cause disruption.

you're the only one being disruptive here. I made a post asking what next for khan and you're getting angry over the title cos it says khan loses.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 11 Dec 2011, 10:35 am

No - he is angry because you are being discourteous in not writing Spoiler in your title so people who couldn't watch the fight earlier can watch without knowing the result.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Sun 11 Dec 2011, 10:36 am

If I wanted to know the result I would come on here, its obvious to anyone with half a brain!

Don't want to know, watch it first then come on here

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 11 Dec 2011, 10:38 am

Think it's an unwritten rule on this forum that you don't write the result in the title of an article.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun 11 Dec 2011, 10:41 am

Title edited, fellas.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Sun 11 Dec 2011, 10:56 am

Personally for me Khan would've won (on my card) bar the docked points... which he only has to blame for himself.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Sun 11 Dec 2011, 11:19 am

With Jay-z, i had it close but the 2 points cost him. He was warned numerous times and i'm pretty sure i heard a last warning in the 6th, only has himself to blame.

For me he was totally exposed that he can't fight in the pocket, Peterson took him into deep waters and Khan displayed zero nous on the inside which is where the fight mostly took place.

His post fight comments were a joke as well, he got beaten by the better man who ain't exactly SRR reincarnated and perhaps should realise he's not ready for the elite fighters in the division above.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Sun 11 Dec 2011, 11:27 am

coxy0001 wrote:With Jay-z, i had it close but the 2 points cost him. He was warned numerous times and i'm pretty sure i heard a last warning in the 6th, only has himself to blame.

For me he was totally exposed that he can't fight in the pocket, Peterson took him into deep waters and Khan displayed zero nous on the inside which is where the fight mostly took place.

His post fight comments were a joke as well, he got beaten by the better man who ain't exactly SRR reincarnated and perhaps should realise he's not ready for the elite fighters in the division above.

Exposed? We all know Khan cant fight inside prior to Peterson.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sun 11 Dec 2011, 11:28 am

Il Gialloblu wrote:Agree about the thread title.

I'm surprised that he has lost on points to anyone other than Mayweather though, as I thought he was that good technically he would have only lost to someone who was an underdog going in to a KO or TKO.

Shows how much I know. Run

i dont think khan is technically that brilliant. he just has the natural talent, speed and decent power.
he's not a power puncher, but he puts his oponents on the canvas on a regular basis. under roach he is getting better technically though.

so it seems lamont found a way to nutralise his talents, which makes us think mayweather would figure him out and clearly out point him if they were to meet.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Sun 11 Dec 2011, 11:33 am

The genius of PBF wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:With Jay-z, i had it close but the 2 points cost him. He was warned numerous times and i'm pretty sure i heard a last warning in the 6th, only has himself to blame.

Please note the word "totally", that suggests we knew he wasn't mustard inside but this was the first guy to really expose him.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Sun 11 Dec 2011, 11:36 am

coxy0001 wrote:
The genius of PBF wrote:

Please note the word "totally", that suggests we knew he wasn't mustard inside but this was the first guy to really expose him.

Fair enough...unlucky in the prediction league maybe Union can give you the wooden spoon. Wink

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 11 Dec 2011, 11:38 am

My own take on it is this:

I had it a draw, first and foremost. Thought Khan was possibly unlucky not to be credited with two knockdowns in the first, as we've seen them given for a lot less than that, and some cuffing punches had landed.

With regard to the point deductions, it's a tough one. Peterson did constantly lead with his head which I felt should have been addressed by the referee, but Khan can have no complaints - it wasn't as if he hadn't been warned. It is something that is part of Khan's continued learning process, I guess, and he will have to work hard on dealing with less skilled fighters that bore in to you in such a fashion.

I imagine Khan may have got the decision elsewhere, but I've no complaints about it being a point or two either way, and full credit to Peterson for changing his tactics and showing immense reserves of grit and determination.

A cracking fight and fully looking forward to a rematch (hopefully in March?). I think this will tell us more about Khan than any fight to date - we know you can take a shot now, we know you can scrap, we know you're determined and skilled, but can you adapt? Can you show us that you have learnt from your mistakes and can carry out a different gameplan that deals with this type of fighter? I believe he can, and I certainly hope he can!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 11 Dec 2011, 11:42 am

Excellent post Fist. Exactly how I read it - I was rather pleased as for once the fans turned out to be the winners - Sky sports 1 Laugh Sky must be kicking themselves.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Peacehavenboy Sun 11 Dec 2011, 11:43 am

I am so glad he got beat.
What were his bad comments after the fight guys?

Peacehavenboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Sun 11 Dec 2011, 11:44 am

Khan doesn't have one punch knockout power like Pacquiao who also does not have a inside game but opponents think twice about coming inside because they are wary of being caught coming in against Manny.

What makes you think Khan can change the gameplan fists? Certainly haven't seen it yet.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 11 Dec 2011, 11:46 am

i think maidana probably did that coxy, peterson just reinforced it beyond any doubt.

A lot of very good fighters aren't great inside, so they're adept at avoiding it . What worries me about khan is that although he gets some knock downs and ko's, he retreats when guys come at him and doesn't leverage his punches or turn guys efficiently... so he can get forced to fight inside or on the ropes more than a guy with his attributes should... as was the case today. Looked like a man against a boy - bullied out of his stride.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 11 Dec 2011, 11:48 am

Peacehavenboy wrote:I am so glad he got beat.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/16130342.stm?

basically said he was fighting both peterson and the ref. He's acting like everybody ringside and at hom had it 118-109, everyone had it close by a round or two to khan or peterson nicking it by a round. He wanted to make a statement, going into the lions den and knocking out the man bradley and ortiz couldn't. He can't moan about a hometown decision if he was more than happy beforehand to have the fight there. In the build up he was saying that he relishes the disadvantage and wan't to shock the pro peterson crowd, he couldn't deliver

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 11 Dec 2011, 11:51 am

The ref was way to vocal, its got to be dsiruptive hearing your "Stop holding Khan", "let him go Khan", "fight out Khan", "stop pushing Khan", I didn't actually think it was a particularly dirty fight.

As for Khan, he seems to lack an effective uppercut, for Petersons head was made for it, instead of Khan pushing it down, he could have knocked it off.

Also for Khan's sparring with manny, you'd think he'd have worked out how to deal with a pressure fighter by now. All that said the fight was close, remove the point deductions and you have a Khan win, I had him winning by a point even with them.

Where to now? I think this fight was to be his coming out fight, with 147 next. I think he should still go to 147, take the loser/winner of Berto /Ortiz, either would make a great fight, there is nothing really left at 140lb, an unfortunate way to leave the division, but I don't see a rematch building his career.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun 11 Dec 2011, 11:54 am

In my opinion, this can only benefit boxing in the long run.

To start with it was, by all accounts, a cracking fight ( I haven't seen it, yet, ) between two guys who showed resolve and ambition. Secondly, whatever we think about Khan and his occasional faux pas, it is clear that the man has ambition to prove himself against the best available. If he can bounce back from this and go on to higher things it will be a vindication that the protection of the loss column need not be the be all and end all in top flight boxing.

I hope he goes on to greater things, and if he ships the odd loss along the way then so be it. Better that, for him and for boxing, than that he should be a protected fighter who leaves question marks hanging over him when the time comes to call it a day.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Peacehavenboy Sun 11 Dec 2011, 11:57 am

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:
Peacehavenboy wrote:I am so glad he got beat.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/16130342.stm?

basically said he was fighting both peterson and the ref. He's acting like everybody ringside and at hom had it 118-109, everyone had it close by a round or two to khan or peterson nicking it by a round. He wanted to make a statement, going into the lions den and knocking out the man bradley and ortiz couldn't. He can't moan about a hometown decision if he was more than happy beforehand to have the fight there. In the build up he was saying that he relishes the disadvantage and wan't to shock the pro peterson crowd, he couldn't deliver

Thanks buddy.
If Khan shut his stupid mouth a lot more, he would have a lot more fans..
I think I heard him say during the week that he would have to stop Peterson because he was in his hometown etc...Imagine what PBF would do to this mouthy/nosey idiot...

Peacehavenboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:02 pm

By the way, on last nights eveidence, I think he'd be in for a very hard nights work against Bradley.

Against Judah when all goes to plan he looks great, but once he gets tagged he cant think, cant adapt, it happened against Maindana and again last night.

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:02 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:In my opinion, this can only benefit boxing in the long run.

To start with it was, by all accounts, a cracking fight ( I haven't seen it, yet, ) between two guys who showed resolve and ambition. Secondly, whatever we think about Khan and his occasional faux pas, it is clear that the man has ambition to prove himself against the best available. If he can bounce back from this and go on to higher things it will be a vindication that the protection of the loss column need not be the be all and end all in top flight boxing.

I hope he goes on to greater things, and if he ships the odd loss along the way then so be it. Better that, for him and for boxing, than that he should be a protected fighter who leaves question marks hanging over him when the time comes to call it a day.

it was a good fight windy, though got untidier as it went on... khan is rarely in a dull one to be fair to him. I worry if he has or will ever develop the physicality or ring smarts to effectively deal with certain styles of fighter, but echo your sentiments

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:07 pm

I share your reservations, milky. I really do hope he goes on from here, though. So refreshing to see genuine ambition.

Will try to catch the fight later.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:09 pm

Day V Lately wrote:By the way, on last nights eveidence, I think he'd be in for a very hard nights work against Bradley.

Against Judah when all goes to plan he looks great, but once he gets tagged he cant think, cant adapt, it happened against Maindana and again last night.

I still think that khan is perhaps the best outside fighter in the 135, 140 and 147lbs divisions. He gets in and out very quick and throws lots of shots. However, if you are as big as him, have a good chin and a high punch output you have every chance of getting on the insdie and wearing him down. He has a good chin but doesn't have a tight guard so the punches look better against him then they actually are imo.

was always of the opinion that bradley beats khan as bradley is perhaps the best inside fighter in the division but his lack of power always worried me

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:11 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:I share your reservations, milky. I really do hope he goes on from here, though. So refreshing to see genuine ambition.

Will try to catch the fight later.

He opens his mouth and winds people up. But he's just not the sharpest tool in the box imo. Like you though, i find his genuine desire to want to fight the best refreshing. Khan and froch are a credit to british boxing in this respect.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:13 pm

That and his punch output isnt great - I still have Khan winning against him but maybe a little tighter. Bradley needs either a high punch output or some serious power. He is excellent on the inside but if he isn't hurting Khan then it could be dangerous. Someone mentioned earlier that Khan doesnt have a stinging uppercut - which I think is quite fair criticism. Perhaps roach should stop working on his outside and teach Amir ways to get around tough fighters who can hustle him. Bit of the Gman to Khan without the mega power.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:18 pm

Im not sure I neccessarily agree with Khans suposed ambition. Peterson was really supposed to be a solid mandatory but not viewed as the best in the division by a long shot. Khans been talking about fighting the biggest names since day one, yet every time he has a voluntary fight I get the feeling its just been one thats hand picked to suit him stylewise (Prescott the exception). He claims hes offered fights to Marquez, Morales, Mayweather, Bradley and may even like to take on Pacquiao. Is everyone really avoiding him to such lengths? Something doesnt seem right there. Maybe he is making the offers but he seems to have a bit of a rep for being hard to do business with so it could be that holding him back in the big fights. Overall though hes yet to really follow up his talk for me and losing to Peterson is a genuine set back, especially as his main divisional rival was able to score a decisive win over him previously.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:19 pm

Manos what did you think of the last 3 rounds?

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:25 pm

I'm so glad that I haven't seen any daft 'hype job' 'was never any good anyway' or 'career over' comments yet.

As Windy so rightly says, a loss isn't a set back that you cannot return from. Great fighters of yesteryear had their fair share, but it is all about your next move and your response to any losses you may pick up that define you as a fighter and a character.

He is still a young man, has plenty to learn but likewise has plenty to give. Don't read too much into the Bradley wide win over Peterson, either, as we all know that styles really do make fights.

On a side note, does anyone think that fight was like a lesser skilled version of Duran vs Leonard in Montreal? Likewise, do you think a rematch could be similar to Duran Leonard 2 in terms out outcome (without the no mas!)?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:25 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Manos what did you think of the last 3 rounds?

Of the Peterson fight?

The whole fight was great entertainment. I think Peterson took the tenth, the eleventh was close and could have gone any which way, I had Khan shade it, the last round I gave to Peterson by way of the points deduction.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:26 pm

I shall kill you in your sleep fists. That is sacrilege.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:27 pm

I scored the 12th 9-9, as I had Khan edging it without the deduction.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:27 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:I shall kill you in your sleep fists. That is sacrilege.

You'll not the insertion of "lesser skilled" Wink

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:28 pm

its almost an anagram of sleeper killed. You've been warned

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:29 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:That and his punch output isnt great - I still have Khan winning against him but maybe a little tighter. Bradley needs either a high punch output or some serious power. He is excellent on the inside but if he isn't hurting Khan then it could be dangerous. Someone mentioned earlier that Khan doesnt have a stinging uppercut - which I think is quite fair criticism. Perhaps roach should stop working on his outside and teach Amir ways to get around tough fighters who can hustle him. Bit of the Gman to Khan without the mega power.

but shah roach must have been doing that... at least since maidana. Its not getting through/working.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:31 pm

fists.. the daft hype job comments are on a different thread!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:33 pm

True but he is teaching him himself and I don't think its working out. Like someone pointed out earlier - Manny struggles on the inside a little too. Perhaps Moorer would be a better choice - Just someone who can wrestle him around and force him to react rather than doing drills without the menacing presence pushing him around.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:33 pm

Oh right, thanks Milky, I'll know to avoid the morons that are posting on that one, then.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:34 pm

http://twitter.com/#!/SkySportsFraser/status/145738294964129792/photo/1

How do yours compare?

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:42 pm

Can't really grumble too much with any of those. The judging was acceptable (thank God!), the only real talking points that may have influenced things in my book are the knockdown that wasn't awarded and the deductions. Depending on your view of those that will have changed how the fight was scored.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pekchenko Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:46 pm

Although i have never been a Khan fan, i feel this fight shows how much referees can affect fights. Im not saying one way is right and one way is wrong, but look at the advantage Peterson had in that he never made them break when close up- compare that to Joe Cortez in the Hatton Mayweather fight and the different styles are significant and could play a significant role in the outcome. Im not saying Hatton would have won so lets not get into that debate, but the fight certainly would have played out differently, and i would more or less say for certain that Amir would have won with Cortez reffing that fight.

Pekchenko

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:47 pm

Yeah I had similar thoughts, pek. Very rarely did the referee call them to break, which gave Peterson chance to get those shots off in close.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next