The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spoiler : Khan fight

+34
owen10ozzy
88Chris05
Rowley
The Galveston Giant
von trapp
tcribb
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
AlexHuckerby
tunes666
J.Benson II
BoxingFan88
ONETWOFOREVER
School Project
All Time Great
Pekchenko
manos de piedra
Day V Lately
jimdig
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
milkyboy
Peacehavenboy
Fists of Fury
The genius of PBF
coxy0001
Sugar Floyd Louis
HumanWindmill
Imperial Ghosty
ShahenshahG
JDandfries
fearlessBamber
Il Gialloblu
OasisBFC
Waingro
lovely_london
38 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Spoiler : Khan fight - Page 2 Empty Spoiler : Khan fight

Post by lovely_london Sun 11 Dec - 9:44

First topic message reminder :

how will this loss affect him? will he still move up in weight? will a rematch happen? will he fight bradley now?

will mayweather v khan happen in 2012 like khan wanted?

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Spoiler : Khan fight - Page 2 Empty Re: Spoiler : Khan fight

Post by Pekchenko Sun 11 Dec - 12:59

its the inconsistency that gets to me- Cortez being a prime example in that if you watch the Hatton v Castillo fight he barely steps in to break throughout the whole fight. By him then then doing it whenever Hatton and Mayweather touch pretty much tells everyone which fighter the ref is favouring. The same can be said of the Khan fight- there were plenty of instances where Peterson was just diving into him and wrestling to the ropes without throwing- in those circumstance you can often expect a break. Having said that, Khans defensive skills looked woefully short last night- seemed to be completely unable to tie him up and actaully kept manouvreing himself into a corner rather than away from trouble. For someone with such fast hands you often expect them to fight withequally fast reflexes and head movement but with Khan it seems to be all about fast hands and not much else

Pekchenko

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sun 11 Dec - 13:10

Although Khan is still a world level fighter, for me I cannot see him becoming an elite level fighter. His defensive ability when fighting on the inside looked woeful last night, he just does not seem to adapt. Given LP is not known as a big puncher, I think the likes of Ortiz and Berto would cause Khan all sorts of problems.

Props to Khan for taking on all comers but I think the likes of Marquez, Mayweather, Pacquiao, Ortiz, Berto, Bradley and maybe even Brook would most likely have Khan's number as well. Khan would be amongst the top 5 WWs, but does not belong in elite class. I appreciate he is about to turn 25 but he's been fighting professionally for 7 years now, I'm not sure if he's got that plan B or C in his locker.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sun 11 Dec - 13:42

Fists: Look at the inside work by Peterson, he wasn't wrestling with Khan, but the moment he got anywhere near Khan he wanted to spoil. The ref was vocal but in the first 4 or 5 rounds he was keeping the fight fluid. Allowing them to punch out on the inside rather than getting involved and breaking them too much.

I disagree with the point deductions but there were a number of occasions where Khan fouled in other ways where he could've been docked.

As for the ref, he didn't do a terrible job at all.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Pekchenko Sun 11 Dec - 13:46

Im not saying he did a bad job and the way he did things was wrong- im just highlighting the point that there are huge discrepencies between how referees control fights, and the way they do hugely influences fights. My point is just that had Cortez been in and managed it the way he did Hatton Mayweather, then Khan would have won as Peterson would have never been able to get close enough to fight the way he did

Pekchenko

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 11 Dec - 13:54

Peterson won fair fight. Nothing to do with ref Khan lost to more aggressive fighter.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 11 Dec - 14:06

Khan proved that he learned nothing from the Maidana fight, it was pretty much an imitation. When Khan stays on the ropes with his hands up he is open for body shots and the uppercut and Peterson was tagging him all night. He managed to tie up a little better, but still only held one of Petersons hands a lot of the time.

The ref was a bit of a joke and the point deductions were for soft offences, however he was warned countless times.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Spoiler : Khan fight - Page 2 Empty Just wtched the fight,

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 11 Dec - 14:15

I had it in Petersons favour by 4 rounds. Khan dropped him twice in the first. The first was a slip and the second was same old Khan swarming over Peterson but Lamont was not hurt just lost balance. Peterson came back at Khan and forced the fight. Khan was fouling a lot. You don't need a warning the rules are pretty clear so he deserved to get points deducted. Khan was champion so he never did enough to win the fight, serves him right for calling out Mayweather every interview he has.

Khan has become very arrogant these days and was selling the bear skin before killing the bear. The Khan team disgusts me the way they acted in the post fight conference disgusting as always. Peterson came to fight Khan expected to walk home with the decision. He complains well Maidana could have complained at the result of their fight as he battered Khan piller to post. Khan has only speed but inside he is very suspect he needs to do the same thing he rudely told Bradley "GROW SOME BALLS"

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sun 11 Dec - 14:21

Pekchenko wrote:Im not saying he did a bad job and the way he did things was wrong- im just highlighting the point that there are huge discrepencies between how referees control fights, and the way they do hugely influences fights. My point is just that had Cortez been in and managed it the way he did Hatton Mayweather, then Khan would have won as Peterson would have never been able to get close enough to fight the way he did

Your right about the inconsistencies of refs mate. The matter of Cortez just boils down to the fact that he gets too involved in a fight... he's a poor ref in general.

A fighter shouldn't be allowed to stop the flow of a fight as much as Khan tried to. Peterson wasn't hitting and holding or wrestling Khan. The only person Khan can blame is himself for not being able to fight on the inside. It's something he lacks and it showed last night.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 11 Dec - 14:35

Sometimes I wonder if you were dropped on your head as a baby - and sometimes I wish you were.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 11 Dec - 14:41

Cruelty to children.

Just seen the fight Khan should not complain. The ref did his job he has been in America long enough now so he should know how they ref fights.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Sun 11 Dec - 14:42

You get the impression that Khan overlooked Peterson and felt he only had to turn up to win.
It was a great fight and I actually thought Khan did enough to win, and he would have had he not got deducted those crucial points.
Although the result was a surprise, I don't think we really learnt anything about Khan that he didnt already know. We all knew beforehand of his strengths (excellent at range and a fast starter) and his flaws (struggles against pressure with no real inside game).
I'd imagine he'll have a re-match with Peterson next year in which he'll need to set the record straight. If he's succesful, I'd like to see him stay at 140 and take on Bradley as we can than properly establish who is the main man at the weight.
On a slightly different note, its not been a great year for Britains main champions....first with Haye and now with Khan losing their titles. Lets see if Froch can avoid a similar story next week.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 11 Dec - 14:45

School project is right. Khan cannot fight on the inside so he grabs and fouls.

If Roach is such a master how come he cannot rectify this problem with Khan?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Sun 11 Dec - 14:49

Tbh I think Bradley and Brook will be laughing at Khan after this he was a massive favourite to beat this guy that Bradley destroyed a while ago. They have been saying Khan is overrated for a while now and I have to agree. Yes the guy is fast and has some skills but overall he is easy to bully he should forget about Mayweather who would destroy him.

Cerdit to Khan though I have to say he is an exciting boxer to watch his fights are usually very good and I would like to see a rematch with a neutral ref in a neutral venue I think Khan could win then but it would be close.

Imo Haye and Brook will be Britains best hope for world titles in 2012 they will be world champs. Froch will get robbed by Ward unless he knocks him out the last few fights have shown that if British fighters fight away from home they will be robbed or get biased refs so makes you think Calzaghe was right to stay in Britain for most of his career they prob would have scored his fight with Lacy in favour of Lacy if it was in america lol!

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 11 Dec - 14:51

Yes yes I agree Khan has always been over rated. Bradley has faced better fighters yet Khan has been disrespecting Bradley for months now. Bradley is very humble but I bet he is laughing his head off at arrogant big nose Khan.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Sun 11 Dec - 14:53

J.Benson II wrote:You get the impression that Khan overlooked Peterson and felt he only had to turn up to win.
It was a great fight and I actually thought Khan did enough to win, and he would have had he not got deducted those crucial points.
Although the result was a surprise, I don't think we really learnt anything about Khan that he didnt already know. We all knew beforehand of his strengths (excellent at range and a fast starter) and his flaws (struggles against pressure with no real inside game).
I'd imagine he'll have a re-match with Peterson next year in which he'll need to set the record straight. If he's succesful, I'd like to see him stay at 140 and take on Bradley as we can than properly establish who is the main man at the weight.
On a slightly different note, its not been a great year for Britains main champions....first with Haye and now with Khan losing their titles. Lets see if Froch can avoid a similar story next week.

You are right this has been a bad year for British champs imo we should have Khan still champ, Macklin or Murray world champ and Chisora European champ if it was not for bad refs and robberies! I also think Froch will be robbed against Ward the ref will allow Ward to headbutt Froch and will deduct points of Froch if he loses his temper and as we all know if the fight goes to the cards Ward will win.

I think Brook and Haye will win world titles next year though and Macklin will have a chance against Martinez hopefully so things will improve in 2012.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 11 Dec - 14:57

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:I had it in Petersons favour by 4 rounds. Khan dropped him twice in the first. The first was a slip and the second was same old Khan swarming over Peterson but Lamont was not hurt just lost balance. Peterson came back at Khan and forced the fight. Khan was fouling a lot. You don't need a warning the rules are pretty clear so he deserved to get points deducted. Khan was champion so he never did enough to win the fight, serves him right for calling out Mayweather every interview he has.

Khan has become very arrogant these days and was selling the bear skin before killing the bear. The Khan team disgusts me the way they acted in the post fight conference disgusting as always. Peterson came to fight Khan expected to walk home with the decision. He complains well Maidana could have complained at the result of their fight as he battered Khan piller to post. Khan has only speed but inside he is very suspect he needs to do the same thing he rudely told Bradley "GROW SOME BALLS"

Onetwo, I have merged this, a new thread was not necessary.

Also, your judging skills are abysmal.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun 11 Dec - 15:00

Waingro wrote:
J.Benson II wrote:You get the impression that Khan overlooked Peterson and felt he only had to turn up to win.

You are right this has been a bad year for British champs imo we should have Khan still champ, Macklin or Murray world champ and Chisora European champ if it was not for bad refs and robberies! I also think Froch will be robbed against Ward the ref will allow Ward to headbutt Froch and will deduct points of Froch if he loses his temper and as we all know if the fight goes to the cards Ward will win.

I think Brook and Haye will win world titles next year though and Macklin will have a chance against Martinez hopefully so things will improve in 2012.

In case anybody missed it, Waingro's current idée fixe is ' robberies. '

We had months of ' Dempsey wouldn't fight black fighters, ' followed by a brief respite with ' Haye is too fast and has too much skill, imo,' and now the theme is robberies involving Brits abroad. Batten down the hatches, it's going to be a long winter.

By the way, Waingro, would you agree that the Royal Mail were robbed by Ronnie Biggs?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 11 Dec - 15:16

HumanWindmill wrote:
Waingro wrote:

In case anybody missed it, Waingro's current idée fixe is ' robberies. '

We had months of ' Dempsey wouldn't fight black fighters, ' followed by a brief respite with ' Haye is too fast and has too much skill, imo,' and now the theme is robberies involving Brits abroad. Batten down the hatches, it's going to be a long winter.

By the way, Waingro, would you agree that the Royal Mail were robbed by Ronnie Biggs?

Course he does - he was on stamp duty. Everytime someone came out of the rain they stamped on his head.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun 11 Dec - 15:18

I believe you just laid firm hold on the ' Post of the day ' trophy, Shah.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 11 Dec - 15:23

HumanWindmill wrote:I believe you just laid firm hold on the ' Post of the day ' trophy, Shah.

Part and Parcel my dear Merlin.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun 11 Dec - 15:27

Just saw the fight, I had it a draw, was very close and some rounds were hard to call..

Khan threw allot of punches but allot were hitting the gloves and being slipped, Were Peterson was coming forward allot more and putting Khan on the backfoot.

I don't believe the knock down in the first round was a knock down, he was off balance before the punch connected and the punch cleary did not faze him at all, in fact he landed a bigger punch on kahn while falling off balance..

I also think the first point deduction for Khan was a tad harsh and maybe should have been an official warning, and then fair enough the second one count... Khan has often got away with pushing and holding peoples head down due to his speed where he gets away with it, so its fair he has been caught out this time..

It was a great fight and i think Peterson winning was no way a robbery as when its that close especially when your at home, you have a chance of nicking it which is what he did.

I can understand why some dont like Khan as his arrogance when awaiting the point count was annoying, he knew full well that it was on a knife edge particularly because of having two points deduction.. also he failed to credit Peterson's great fighting spirit in the after fight interview which won him the fight..

I can see a rematch being arranged as its the best way for Khan to get back on track, if he wins he can call this a blip and carry on, although I don't think it was a fluke and it seems when people get in Khans face and scrap with him as Maidana done, he does not like it.. so a second fight might not go Khans way still...

I think we can safely say that Khans chin is not as week as many have said and he has proven to be able to take a punch.

conclusion, I think he can feel a bit unlucky to lose as he done well in a another fighters back yard and could have easily got a draw and maybe even nicked it him self, But its also not a disgrace that Peterson won and if you go into a fighters back yard and do not win convincingly then you risk loosing and Khan new this while taking the fight, credit to him for doing it, but don't complain when it does not go how you wanted.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 11 Dec - 15:48

For starters the fight really was excellent, maybe not quite a FOTY candidate but it really was very good. For seconds Khan without a shadow of a doubt has a chin, in fact it seems he has a very good one, for thirds Peterson is one seriously, seriously tough cookie. Fourths I think that Khan still has the same mentality problems as before, he gets tagged and he wants to fight fire with fire. Also at times when he could have used the ring to move he became a static target and really allowed Peterson to pick up a couple of extra rounds allowing him to sit there and tee off on him.

Khan should have been deducted both points in my opinion, so many times Jim Watt was screaming for him to stop holding because he will get points deducted and I have to agree with Jim Watt on this, the referee was probably quite kind to him in truth... He was the one who was pushing the head down, he was the one pushing off with elbows and causing all the untidiness on the inside.

Peterson really took the fight to Khan after the first couple (And just after the first couple I was already talking to my Dad about how Khan would maybe get Mayweather after taking care of Peterson) then Peterson began his assault and really took it to Khan, was shocked at the physicality of Peterson and the poor tactics at times by Khan allowing Peterson to use the simple things such as size and strength to control the fight.

I actually think Jim Watt said something true underneath all the guff he usually shouts he said "When Khan does something wrong he seems to get everything wrong" I think it's true he makes a wrong decision and all of a sudden he makes every decision wrong and it costs him, nearly against Maidana and this time it really did against Lamont Peterson.

Truly fantastic fight, however Khan has thrown it away in my opinion, time to rebuild and learn.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 11 Dec - 15:54

Tough one though when someone is so obviously leading with their head. Khan was right in a way when he said it is either push him off or get butted, though a good response to that would be..."what the hell were you doing on the ropes anyway, you work best from the centre of the ring".

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 11 Dec - 16:16

He was pushed back far too easily in the beginning but there was points in the fight where Khan had no choice but to soak up pressure, at points Peterson forced him to soak up pressure but there's nothing wrong with that. But Khan allowed him to prolong the pressure and didn't move out fast enough, his fault.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 11 Dec - 16:19

I have a problem with the points being docked for pushing, as Peterson said after the fight, he had no problem with the pushing, but did have a problem with his head getting pushed down. I'd agree with that.

We need consistancy with Ref's, Mosely's tactics against Marge was to push him back when he tried to come in, Cotto used this tactic and it was blatently used throughiut his fight, with the HBO team praising the tactic. Yet Khan loses 2 points. I wouldn't have had a problem if he was docked 2 points for pushing his head down mind you.

But it was a great fight, unlucky for Khan, but as I've stated earlier, Roach could do with teaching Khan the uppercut, I think he through 1 in the early part of the fight, Although Manny doesn't use it either, he has the power to keep make oponents weary coming in, its a great tool to have in your locker, Peterson's low head coming in was made for it.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 11 Dec - 16:31

I thought it was a stellar performance from the ref.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 11 Dec - 16:32

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:I thought it was a stellar performance from the ref.

Leave it aat rodders - were in enough trouble as it is.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 11 Dec - 16:41

ShahenshahG wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:I thought it was a stellar performance from the ref.

Leave it aat rodders - were in enough trouble as it is.

Lovely jubbley!

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 11 Dec - 18:23

I ain't a fan of Amir and yet I still found myself having him one point up at the end even with the deductions.

The score I got was 114-113 to Khan.

Rd1: 10-8 obviously, though the knockdown itself seemed more of Peterson falling over the back of Khan's leg whilst being pushed by Khans elbow.

Rd2 & Rd3 to Peterson. Khan just switched off after his good start. And Peterson found the better openings. Round 3 being a corker for the home lad.

Rd4 I found hard to give to either as no-one really stood out. So 10-10.

Rd5 & Rd 6 Khan tidied up his act and Peterson seemed to slow down dramatically compared to the previous rounds. I think his trainer even questioned him on this during one of the breaks.

Rd7 10-8 to Peterson, he won the round due to Khan being sidetracked by the ref who I'll get too in a bit and the point deduction.

Rd 8 another Peterson round for me. Again, the point deduction looked like it took Khans eye off the ball and allowed Peterson to take advantage.

Rd9 was Khans. Peterson came on strong in the last 15 seconds but up until that point, Khan was catching him with nice clusters of shots.

Rd10 Khan again, he seemed to know it was getting a bit close and stepped it up a gear. Although Peterson again didn't show the aggression that he had done in the previous rounds he won.

Here is were the fight should have been won in my opinion. The 11th was Khan running in circles throwing wild punches (mostly missing) and Peterson doing exactly the same. 10-10.

The last round I had Khan winning but due to the stupid point being took off I left it at 9-9.

Now the ref was a plank, no two ways about it. There were points in this fight were he was just shouting random words which werent making sense. He would shout "keep them up" when it wasnt necessary, or "fight!!" while they were actually exchanging. Then the "let go Khan, let go" at times when he wasn't holding. I think Team Khan are right to complain about him because he didn't keep quiet for longer than 5 seconds at a time. He was talking to Khan and when Khan was looking at him to figure out what he was goin on about, Peterson was still throwing and scoring. Once or twice is alright, but this happened in almost every round.

I have serious doubts about how Khan is going to challenge the elite fighters out there. But if pressure fighters make him look bad then hes got a problem, but even McCloskey who isnt anywhere remotely a defensive genius made him look silly by moving out of the way of his shots. If he had of had a bit of balls, Khan would have got beat that night too.

I think he should just go straight to 147 and get a few warm up fights under his belt until a big one comes up. Winning the belts back and then probably just vacating them to move anyway to 147 is a bit of a waste of time I think.

And the attitude he showed when Maidana asked for a rematch should be inflicted upon his ego to see how it feels. It also was a close fight and Khan shot that idea down in flames.

Anyway, rant over. Nite nite Spoiler : Khan fight - Page 2 3602195817
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Sun 11 Dec - 21:37

Can i just add, the whole Khan vs Hatton thing is now in pespective. Hatton would've taken his damn head off.

Khan got warned and kept pushing which is all he had when Peterson put his head into his chest. He only has himself to blame and hopefully his gob now stays shut.

Am glad for Peterson though, proper rags to riches story and dug the deeper out of the two

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Sun 11 Dec - 21:50

coxy0001 wrote:Can i just add, the whole Khan vs Hatton thing is now in pespective. Hatton would've taken his damn head off.

Khan got warned and kept pushing which is all he had when Peterson put his head into his chest. He only has himself to blame and hopefully his gob now stays shut.

Am glad for Peterson though, proper rags to riches story and dug the deeper out of the two

Yes nice to see an ex drug dealer do well!

Watched the fight this afternoon with already knowing the result, I had 113-112 in Khans favour, don't think Peterson deserved the nod didn't do enough to take the title away from the champion in my opinion. He certainly landed the more telling blows but not enough.

Khan needs to stop rushing things, settle down and plant his feet, can't be any doubt about his whiskers now, don't think Amir has his man strength yet and hard to see him picking up the major scalps at 147 over the next 2 years before his mooted retirement date.

Great fight, thoroughly enjoyed it let's hope better news for the Brits next week, but got a feeling Carl might get stopped.
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by von trapp Sun 11 Dec - 21:56

My humble opinion from someone who has only followed the fight game for 4 years now.

Khan had to keep fouling Peterson on the inside. He could not cope with him coming forward if he had not fouled him then Peterson would have battered him more and maybe got a stoppage. So Khan was forced to foul.

Great performance from Peterson he was more hungry. The boxing ring is nothing to what he has been through and you can tell. Khan thought he only had to turn up, he has too many people telling him how good he is. Even though Froch may lose next week I have never seen that in him. Khan will be back but needs to be told to look at one fight at a time and leave the future to us lot on here to debate.

von trapp

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Mon 12 Dec - 1:56

Fighting on the inside suffers much the same problems as the breakdown in Rugby Union, it comes down to the refs interpretation, great fighters and great workers of the breakdown will throughout a contest adapt to the referees interpretation, Khan lacks the brains to do so.

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 12 Dec - 9:01

I think it's pretty ignorant that people come on here on a Sunday morning not wanting to know the results from the night before or obviously talk about them. This is a boxing forum i would suggest watching the fight before coming on. It's like everybody on the football forum moaning on a Saturday night about people talking about results because they wanted to watch the highlights.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 12 Dec - 9:42

The Galveston Giant wrote:I think it's pretty ignorant that people come on here on a Sunday morning not wanting to know the results from the night before or obviously talk about them. This is a boxing forum i would suggest watching the fight before coming on. It's like everybody on the football forum moaning on a Saturday night about people talking about results because they wanted to watch the highlights.

Got to agree GG, I recorded the fight and watched it Sunday morning, made a point of not logging on or putting Sky Sports news on before I watched it, not really difficult to be honest, have to say if you don't want to know the result of a fight logging on to a boxing forum is pretty dumb.

Anyhow to the fight and I have to say think talk of the ref or the scoring should not cover up that for me the fight showed some pretty glaring flaws in Khan's arsenal, seems great if people are willing to stand off and try and have a handspeed competition with him but all he had to deal with Saturday was a fussy ref and a relatively limited fighter showing some roughhouse tactics. This is a guy who is meant to be a future elite fighter, who is meant to be replacing Floyd and Manny at the top of the P4P lists he should be able to deal with this, if a guy is coming in with his head low, take half a step back and uppercut him, if the ref is calling you on too much holding, stop holding. Very poor showing from Khan and showed glaring flaws in his adaptability. Would also do well to stop trying to prove how good a chin he is, sure most would be more impressed by him avoiding some shots rather than showing how well he can take shots.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 12 Dec - 9:49

He without a doubt showed he has a good chin though.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 12 Dec - 9:52

A good chin always helps, as we know, but that isn't what he should be showing us. He should be showing us the ability to adapt and to fight the right fight - on his terms.

Tommy Hearns never had a good chin, but he often made sure that the chin never came into it by fighting his own fight, using his strengths and dominating in that way. That is what Khan needs to start doing.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 12 Dec - 9:52

I wouldn't say Khan has a good chin. His legs go quite easily. I think he thinks proving he has a good chin means putting your hands up, chin down and letting the guy wing at him, which usually results in him trying to run again with unsteady legs. He doesn't roll with punches.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon 12 Dec - 9:53

Not really Alex, Peterson is not a big hitter, never has been.

Khan got KO'd by a crude slugger (Prescott), he was lax and he got caught, he was young it happens.

Maidana, another crude slugge, would have had him outta there if not for a lucky stumble onto the ropes - he doesn't have a good chin, but he is quick enough to avoid being tagged, so he should use that to avoid getting hit clean.

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 12 Dec - 9:59

AlexHuckerby wrote:He without a doubt showed he has a good chin though.

As Froch himself said recently, the best chin is the one which doesn't get hit.

We didn't need to see Khan showboating and deliberately getting in to tussles on the inside to show he's got a better set of whiskers than we all thought he had back in 2008 (though I wouldn't go so far as to call them 'good', just better than we may have thought). The Maidana fight was proof enough. No need for him to needlessly go to war with a man whose punch at world level is less than devastating here - and I'm sure Roach would have been telling him the same between rounds.

Khan's immaturity cost him the fight as much as anything else. Seemed more intent on proving that he's a 'character' rather than proving he's a world class boxer at times. There were times in the fight when Peterson could barely touch him - such as round five - and that was when he was doing what he's good at, basically keeping the distance, using his jab and reach and unloading quick flurries before using his superior footwork to get out of range immediately afterwards.

Granted, I'm sure (like me) Khan didn't expect a primarily counter-punching fighter like Peterson to be so strong and durable on the inside, but it was still daft to work on such an assumption in the first place and totally abandon what would have been an effective gameplan.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 12 Dec - 10:03

Just to pick up on something Chris, do you (or anyone else) find it incredibly annoying that Khan raises his hands every time he gets tagged? He spent more time raising his hands or nodding his head (to say he wasn't hurt) than trying to avoid punches.

I don't think i've seen a fighter so inept at fighting off the ropes. For me if he steps up against someone like Ortiz he'll just be shoved back into the ropes and then have his body targeted. Failing to get past a half decent but hardly world beating fighter like Peterson says an awful lot about his limitations, i've never been sold on Khan and this fight merely reinforced that view.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 12 Dec - 10:05

That is what frustrated me, Chris. Even late in the fight Khan on occasion reverted to his usual style i.e. on the outside, setting up flurries with his excellent jab before circling out of range with his swift footwork and repeating the move.

When he does that, he looks sublime.

However, Lord only knows why he stopped doing that for the majority of the last 8 rounds. I can only put it down to youth and a degree of inexperience still, as he was clearly the superior fighter and was totally dominating Peterson when he adopted such tactics.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 12 Dec - 10:06

Wow, guys I was just saying he showed he has a good chin, not that it means everything! Just saying, a while back everyone thought Amir had a glass chin!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 12 Dec - 10:07

coxy0001 wrote:Just to pick up on something Chris, do you (or anyone else) find it incredibly annoying that Khan raises his hands every time he gets tagged?

The thing that annoys me about it is if you think about it sensibly it is akin to turning round to the judges and saying make sure you scored that one, which is not the smartest thing in the world to do.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 12 Dec - 10:08

coxy0001 wrote:Just to pick up on something Chris, do you (or anyone else) find it incredibly annoying that Khan raises his hands every time he gets tagged? He spent more time raising his hands or nodding his head (to say he wasn't hurt) than trying to avoid punches.

Yes Coxy, massively so!

Said the same on the 'live' thread which was being commented on during the fight. Not a fan of any needless showboating in the ring, particularly the old raising of the arms / shake of the head / hanging out of the chin after taking a decent punch. I'll probably come across as an old fuddy duddy in saying this, but I feel it's disresepectful to your opponent first off. Like you said, maybe if he'd spent more time trying to avoid shots, rather than (seemingly) deliberately taking more of themthan he had to in an attempt to try and make us believe that he's got a Hagler-esque chin, he might still have those two belts.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 12 Dec - 10:08

I've always thought that, Jeff!! Seems ridiculous, you never know, a judge may have missed it or deemed it to be blocked...

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 12 Dec - 10:10

When he does that, he looks sublime.

He's not exactly buzzing and rocking his opponents around though... Yeah it looks all flashy and so forth, but they're basically pit pat punches with zero behind them.

Isn't exactly like watching someone like Gamboa who does look sublime when setting up attacks

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 12 Dec - 10:10

AlexHuckerby wrote:Wow, guys I was just saying he showed he has a good chin, not that it means everything! Just saying, a while back everyone thought Amir had a glass chin!

I don't think he does have a good chin Alex, definately better than i first thought though. He shouldn't have been troubled by Peterson at all if he had a good chin, his legs always go when he gets tagged.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 12 Dec - 10:13

rowley wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:Just to pick up on something Chris, do you (or anyone else) find it incredibly annoying that Khan raises his hands every time he gets tagged?

The thing that annoys me about it is if you think about it sensibly it is akin to turning round to the judges and saying make sure you scored that one, which is not the smartest thing in the world to do.

Looks like he's about to commence the YMCA dance about 5 times a round.

Maybe if someone fired one down the shute and dropped him he'd stop doing it, but we can only live in hope i guess.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 12 Dec - 10:13

I love seeing someone showboat in the ring, if it's tactical or otherwise.

I loved watching Prince Naseem do his cocky man routine, Chris Eubanks daft I'm so cool routine, Duran/Leonard 2 where Leonard starts showboating and winds up the bolo punch just to throw a jab, just awesome. Whether it's tactical or not, it's awesome for me.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next