The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McGuigan or Collins?

4 posters

Go down

McGuigan or Collins? Empty McGuigan or Collins?

Post by manos de piedra Mon 12 Dec 2011, 10:59 pm

No, not who would win?, not who was better?, not who was British? But who of the two do you think is the better pundit?

Personally I think they bring a better balance to the Sky sport team as Johnny Nelson, Spencer Oliver, Richie Woodhall and Glenn McCrory are often far too guilty of overplaying the domestic contenders, having the blinkers on and of being overly diplomatic and unwilling to criticise. McGuigan can appear abit unrealistic at times and Collins a bit rough but at least both are more willing to speak their mind as analyst rather than trying to play an angle or be afraid to cause offence.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

McGuigan or Collins? Empty Re: McGuigan or Collins?

Post by Steffan Mon 12 Dec 2011, 11:03 pm

As a pundit I think McGuigan is about the best and most honest you can get. Collins is ok though

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 12 Dec 2011, 11:05 pm

McGuigan is good for the most part, the other not so good and smaller part being that at times he doesn't let anyone else get a word in edge ways. As you say, he does go a little over the top now and then, but he's a passionate and opinionated fella, which is more than can be said for McCrory, for instance.

Collins has impressed me, I have to say. Balanced, praises and berates in equal measure but never without reason.

Would lean towards McGuigan, personally, but both of them are a damn sight better than Oliver, McCrory and Piper.

As a side note, am I the only one impressed with Macklin's punditry so far? Comes across very well I think, gets his opinions across without force-feeding them, and recognizes that sometimes just a few words will do. Barker, on the other hand, has been absolutely awful everytime I've seen him in the studio, fine fighter though he is.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 12 Dec 2011, 11:15 pm

Yeah I think Macklin is good, seems to read the game quite well.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 13 Dec 2011, 1:43 am

Both McGuigan and Collins have the gift of the gab, they both kissed the Blarney stone at some stage.

I have always found Steve Collins a head wrecker, a massive ego and an even bigger mouth piece. I can't look at him and not see his brother Roddy who is possibly the biggest clown I have ever laid eyes on.

In saying that I think Stevo ain't doin' too bad. He has learned to sit back and let other people talk and his anger issues (well reported) aren't as apparent. Not the most cerebral but he knows his boxing and not much passes him by. Collins dogged determination in the ring reflects his personality and I can't see him saying too much that isn't exactly what his real opinion is.

On to Barry the huckster, he just can't stop selling, whether it's Sky, the fight, boxing or himself. He just can't stand the idea of someone looking better than him. It's good that Collins is there because as two Irish people on British television they will not be inclined to argue with each other. (I know McGuigan is half British but you know what I'm getting at.)

McGuigan is probably the smartest of the pundits and is genuine in his assessment of fights. He also talks at 100 mph but fortunately his voice isn't as squeaky as it used to be.

All in all they are a good pairing. If I had to pick which one is better it would be McGuigan by a distance.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down