The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McGuigan Interview

+3
AdamT
TRUSSMAN66
hazharrison
7 posters

Go down

McGuigan Interview Empty McGuigan Interview

Post by hazharrison Tue 24 Feb 2015, 12:30 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/feb/24/barry-mcguigan-carl-frampton-boxing-itv-saturday-title

Cracking piece here by Donald McRae.

Really gutted not to be flying over for this one but fantastic work by McGuigan to get it onto ITV.

Avalos is no mug - should be a cracking scrap.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

McGuigan Interview Empty Re: McGuigan Interview

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Feb 2015, 12:40 pm

Apparently there were 27,000 fans in London to watch him against Pedroza..........Kind of amazing how an Irish guy has that appeal.......I imagine Pedrosa was a no name over here like he was in the States.........

One of the biggest shames was Mcguigan losing to Stevie Cruz in 1986.........

I think we were all licking our lips over Nelson v Barry........

Nelson's career would have been so different had he had the chance to "COME OUT"...

Cruz victory was Nelson's biggest defeat....

Re Frampton not sure with all these belts he could ever attain that kind of following...

But he looks just as good If not better than his main man........

Needs Quigg and vice versa.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 24 Feb 2015, 12:49 pm

You seem to be a big Frampton fan Haz. As am i.

Cracking fighter!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 24 Feb 2015, 12:53 pm

AdamT wrote:You seem to be a big Frampton fan Haz. As am i.

Cracking fighter!

I'm a huge fan. Frampton's a superb fighter - intelligent, powerful superbly conditioned (and a nice guy). I flew over for the Martinez fight and loved Belfast (first time I'd been over). The atmosphere was unlike anything I've ever seen at a boxing match - make that sporting event (and I've seen a few).

Wife's due with our second boy on Monday so I couldn't make it this time but I'll be there for Quigg!!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Feb 2015, 1:35 pm

Cracking fighter!

You're Irish..............Which helps !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 24 Feb 2015, 1:37 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Cracking fighter!

You're Irish..............Which helps !!

True truss! I'm certainly biased!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 24 Feb 2015, 1:37 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Apparently there were 27,000 fans in London to watch him against Pedroza..........Kind of amazing how an Irish guy has that appeal.......I imagine Pedrosa was a no name over here like he was in the States.........

One of the biggest shames was Mcguigan losing to  Stevie Cruz in 1986.........

Nelson's career would have been so different had he had the chance to "COME OUT"...

Re Frampton not sure with all these belts he could ever attain that kind of following...

Have you get Tourette's?

Hearing the name McGuigan or Pedrosa seems to set it off.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Feb 2015, 1:38 pm

Strongback wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Apparently there were 27,000 fans in London to watch him against Pedroza..........Kind of amazing how an Irish guy has that appeal.......I imagine Pedrosa was a no name over here like he was in the States.........

One of the biggest shames was Mcguigan losing to  Stevie Cruz in 1986.........

Have you get Tourette's?

Hearing the name McGuigan or Pedrosa seems to set it off.

I've had better stalkers on here than you !!

Give it a rest...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 24 Feb 2015, 1:42 pm

Quite apart from Barry's appeal as a fighter, which was considerable, it's no exaggeration to say that he was the one bloke who could unite what was then a horribly fractured community. McGuigan was like the Pied Piper back then and not just to people from the Falls and the Shankhill alike. Boxing was also a nationally televised sport in the 80s and Barry was rarely off the BBC in one capacity or another. Remember watching his fights against Penprase, Orozco, Caba, Laporte, the useless Gallouze and then, of course, Pedroza with Carpenter's excitable tones as the background noise and then, after missing the Taylor fight for some reason, I caught up with McGuigan again for the Cabrera and Cruz fights.

Even during his brief comeback, Barry landed a pretty big following via ITV; his protege has none of these advantages. Bearing that in mind, Frampton's support is remarkable. I also think that he's the real deal as a fighter, to the extent that I worry less than he seems to about how he'd go even if he were put in with the excellent, but ageing, Rigondeaux. He's got too much for Quigg, of that I am sure.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Feb 2015, 1:47 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:Quite apart from Barry's appeal as a fighter, which was considerable, it's no exaggeration to say that he was the one bloke who could unite what was then a horribly fractured community. McGuigan was like the Pied Piper back then and not just to people from the Falls and the Shankhill alike. Boxing was also a nationally televised sport in the 80s and Barry was rarely off the BBC in one capacity or another. Remember watching his fights against Penprase, Orozco, Caba, Laporte, the useless Gallouze and then, of course, Pedroza with Carpenter's excitable tones as the background noise and then, after missing the Taylor fight for some reason, I caught up with McGuigan again for the Cabrera and Cruz fights.

Even during his brief comeback, Barry landed a pretty big following via ITV; his protege has none of these advantages. Bearing that in mind, Frampton's support is remarkable. I also think that he's the real deal as a fighter, to the extent that I worry less than he seems to about how he'd go even if he were put in with the excellent, but ageing, Rigondeaux. He's got too much for Quigg, of that I am sure.

34 is very old for a small fighter...............Rigo is certainly one of the few below feather to still be a force at his age......I think he'll be ready to be taken soon...

As I alluded to earlier..............Meaningless titles will have a negative impact on Frampton's appeal....I imagine some fans have turned their backs on the Sport.......Something has to be worth something and the WBA title in 85 was worth something !!

I imagine Mcguigan was the only World champ from these Islands in 85 !!...............Before Honey won the title.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 24 Feb 2015, 1:51 pm

Rigo's a relative baby in professional terms. 34 doesn't seem to be old these days with all of the various elixirs available.

I'm a bit annoyed/flummoxed that Frampton hasn't been more aggressively marketed by ITV - I've seen two adverts in two months. Perhaps they don't yet know what they have in him.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 24 Feb 2015, 1:53 pm

hazharrison wrote:Rigo's a relative baby in professional terms. 34 doesn't seem to be old these days with all of the various elixirs available.

I'm a bit annoyed/flummoxed that Frampton hasn't been more aggressively marketed by ITV - I've seen two adverts in two months. Perhaps they don't yet know what they have in him.

I agree. I admit I'm a bit biased for obvious reasons but Frampton is a future hall of fame superstar. He can definitely crack the states.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Feb 2015, 1:54 pm

hazharrison wrote:Rigo's a relative baby in professional terms. 34 doesn't seem to be old these days with all of the various elixirs available.

34 isn't so bad If you can dictate the pace................But there isn't a comparison between a 24 year old engine and a 34 year old one....

The reason golden oldies like Wlad, Manny and May are dominating is because they are being allowed to fight in their comfort zones !!...

Can't fight fathertime...............Elixirs are overrated................I've taken plenty !! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Tue 24 Feb 2015, 2:00 pm

When you've got GGG on channel 5 one Saturday night and Frampton on ITV the next it almost makes you think you don't need babestation any more.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 24 Feb 2015, 2:02 pm

DuransHorse wrote:When you've got GGG on channel 5 one Saturday night and Frampton on ITV the next it almost makes you think you don't need babestation any more.

two of boxings more exciting fighters fighting on free tv within a week of one another. Not bad!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 24 Feb 2015, 2:02 pm

I rate frampton pretty highly too... Good alrounder, looks pretty good on both front and back foots, can bang a bit, seems a decent lad. What's not to like.

Be good if Barry can deliver quigg and Santa Cruz later in the year, assuming carl doesn't banana skin on Saturday.

Good luck with boy no 2 haz. They say, the second is a game changer, but the milkyboy kid 2, is an angel compared to his brother. Hope you get a sleeper!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 24 Feb 2015, 2:09 pm

Traditionally they have promo slots either side of an adbreak.. But they target this to the audience watching and they compete with adspace. Itv don't show much sport, rely exclusively on ad revenue for income and don't have their own platform with limitless channels often showing repeats, fillers and fluffers. They aren't in the position to stir up a frenzy like sky can. That said its a shame they haven't pushed it more... Expect to see it ramp up a bit in fight week.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Feb 2015, 2:10 pm

milkyboy wrote:Good luck with boy no 2 haz. They say, the second is a game changer, but the milkyboy kid 2, is an angel compared to his brother. Hope you get a sleeper!

They don't need a bedtime story for you to put them to sleep !! Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 24 Feb 2015, 2:21 pm

milkyboy wrote:I rate frampton pretty highly too... Good alrounder, looks pretty good on both front and back foots, can bang a bit, seems a decent lad. What's not to like.

Be good if Barry can deliver quigg and Santa Cruz later in the year, assuming carl doesn't banana skin on Saturday.

Good luck with boy no 2 haz. They say, the second is a game changer, but the milkyboy kid 2, is an angel compared to his brother. Hope you get a sleeper!

Cheers! We hit the jackpot with the first so I'm fearing the worst with MK2!!

I think we'll see Quigg next. McGuigan doesn't mess about and I'm not sure what else Hearn can do with Quigg.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 24 Feb 2015, 2:30 pm

I am totally convinced that Frampton will beat Quigg after a couple of difficult rounds in the beginning.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 24 Feb 2015, 3:05 pm

hazharrison wrote:
milkyboy wrote:I rate frampton pretty highly too... Good alrounder, looks pretty good on both front and back foots, can bang a bit, seems a decent lad. What's not to like.

Cheers! We hit the jackpot with the first so I'm fearing the worst with MK2!!

I think we'll see Quigg next. McGuigan doesn't mess about and I'm not sure what else Hearn can do with Quigg.

In that case I hope you get a squealer. No parents deserve two sleepers!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 24 Feb 2015, 3:07 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
milkyboy wrote:Good luck with boy no 2 haz. They say, the second is a game changer, but the milkyboy kid 2, is an angel compared to his brother. Hope you get a sleeper!

Well, when they're a bit restless, reciting one of my Leonard hagler monologues does usually do the trick!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 24 Feb 2015, 3:46 pm

milkyboy wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Well, when they're a bit restless, reciting one of my Leonard hagler monologues does usually do the trick!

I'll take him through the Floyd-Hagler-Louis debate.....

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Feb 2015, 3:54 pm

hazharrison wrote:
milkyboy wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

I'll take him through the Floyd-Hagler-Louis debate.....

Imagine how disappointed Haz will be If the first thing to come out the kid's mouth is....

"Leonard 116 112"

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down