The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official 6N squad for Scotland.

+38
caz
Scottish Optimist
George Carlin
nickj
Gatts
poddy89
Manky-Flanker
123skelm
UlstermaninGlasgow
KickAndChase
NeilyBroon
Imperialbigdave
R!skysports
Majestic83
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
justified sinner
Scot Abroad
21st Century Schizoid Man
monty junior
TJ1
Luckless Pedestrian
maestegmafia
Redrage
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
mckay1402
geoff998rugby
Pat_Mustard
rodders
funnyExiledScot
Thomond
Tattie Scones RRN
Glas a du
Dorothy_Mantooth
RuggerRadge2611
MBTGOG
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Adam D
RDW
42 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The official 6N squad for Scotland. - Page 4 Empty The official 6N squad for Scotland.

Post by RDW Thu 5 Jan - 9:27

First topic message reminder :

Scotland squad (sponsor RBS) for the matches against England (4 February) and Wales (12 February) in the 2012 RBS 6 Nations Championship:

Backs: Joe Ansbro (London Irish), Mike Blair (Edinburgh Rugby), Chris Cusiter (Glasgow Warriors), Simon Danielli (Ulster), Nick De Luca (Edinburgh Rugby), Max Evans (Castres), Stuart Hogg, Ruaridh Jackson (both Glasgow Warriors), Lee Jones, Greig Laidlaw (both Edinburgh Rugby), Rory Lamont (Glasgow Warriors), Sean Lamont (Scarlets), Rory Lawson (Gloucester), Graeme Morrison (Glasgow Warriors), Dan Parks (Cardiff Blues), Steven Shingler (London Irish) and Duncan Weir (Glasgow Warriors)

Forwards: John Barclay (Glasgow Warriors), Kelly Brown (Saracens), Geoff Cross, David Denton (both Edinburgh Rugby), Alasdair Dickinson (Sale Sharks), Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby), Richie Gray, Dougie Hall (both Glasgow Warriors), Jim Hamilton (Gloucester), Robert Harley (Glasgow Warriors), Allan Jacobsen (Edinburgh Rugby), Alastair Kellock (Glasgow Warriors), Scott Lawson (Gloucester), Moray Low (Glasgow Warriors), Fraser McKenzie (Sale Sharks), Euan Murray (Newcastle Falcons), Ross Rennie (Edinburgh Rugby), Alasdair Strokosch (Gloucester) and Richie Vernon (Sale Sharks).

SIX UNCAPPED PLAYERS IN SCOTLAND SQUAD
Thursday, 05 January 2012

Head coach Andy Robinson has selected six uncapped players in Scotland’s 36-man squad for the opening two matches of the 2012 RBS 6 Nations Championship. They are Lee Jones, the 23-year-old Edinburgh Rugby wing; Stuart Hogg, the 19-year-old Glasgow Warriors full-back; his team-mates, stand-off Duncan Weir, 20 and flanker/lock Robert Harley, 21; Sale Sharks’ former Edinburgh and Dunfermline flanker/lock, 23-year-old Fraser McKenzie; and 20-year-old London Irish centre Steven Shingler.
All 28 available players from last year’s Rugby World Cup squad are included – Chris Paterson and Nathan Hines have now retired – while potential Six Nations debuts could lie ahead for the Edinburgh duo, Greig Laidlaw and David Denton, both of whom have been capped in the EMC Test windows.

Jones, a product of Selkirk has graduated from both Scotland 7s and Scotland A team and has scored six tries in 28 appearances for Edinburgh since making his debut in a pre-season friendly against London Irish in 2010.

Hogg – whose father John was a championship winning full-back and top-notch referee from Hawick, and brother Graham played both age-grade and 7s for Scotland – has won promotion from the Scotland under-20 squad. He made his Glasgow debut last February against the Dragons and has now played 17 times for the Warriors, scoring two tries. Last week Hogg signed a contract that will keep with Glasgow Warriors until at least May 2015.
Weir is currently the top-scorer in the RaboDirect PRO 12 league (145 points) and has represented Scotland at A, 7s and age-grade levels, while both Harley and McKenzie have been part of Scotland squads in the recent past and made a considerable impact in the Scotland A team.
Shingler, born in Swansea and who joined London Irish from Scarlets at the start of this season, qualifies for Scotland through his Dumfries born mum, Jeanette.

He told www.scotlandrugbyteam.org: “I would be massively proud to play for Scotland. My upbringing from my mother means I’ve always known about Scotland.

“I’ve got my gran, auntie, two uncles and two cousins in Langholm and other than the past year I’ve been up 15 years on the bounce to see them around the time of the Common Riding and I’ve competed in the Games as well.”

Robinson said: “I am pleased to reflect on the winning displays we have seen from both Edinburgh Rugby and Glasgow Warriors over the last two months and the contribution a number of our uncapped players have made to them.

“I think what’s also encouraging is that a number of players who have forced their way into contention in that period and who have not made the squad this time, are really knocking on the door and that competition for places can only raise our standards, so this Scotland squad can be very much a work in progress over the coming months.

“We said after the Rugby World Cup that the challenge the Scotland squad must confront is to get on with the business of winning international rugby matches. Potential counts for nothing if you don’t deliver results.”

The squad will gather at St Andrews on the week beginning Monday 23 January before it is trimmed for match specific preparations for Scotland’s opening game of the championship against England at Murrayfield on Saturday 4 February.

Tickets for that match are sold-out, however you can still buy tickets for the Scotland v France game at Murrayfield on Sunday 26 February, kick-off 3pm via the website www.scottishrugby.org.

http://www.scotlandrugbyteam.org/content/view/2731/2/

Note, the Steve Shingler eligibility question is being debated here https://www.606v2.com/t21307-another-concerning-issue-for-the-wru-over-steven-shingler#822705 - KRD

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

The official 6N squad for Scotland. - Page 4 Empty Re: The official 6N squad for Scotland.

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 16 Jan - 19:17

No, no, no, we can learn from England's mistakes without needing to repeat them!!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

The official 6N squad for Scotland. - Page 4 Empty Re: The official 6N squad for Scotland.

Post by Scot Abroad Mon 16 Jan - 19:22

Thought for a minute there you were going to recommend Godman start at 10. Almost choked on my lunch.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Mon 16 Jan - 19:28

Scot Abroad wrote:Thought for a minute there you were going to recommend Godman start at 10. Almost choked on my lunch.

Good God NO. Just thought it was astute of Laidlaw to immediately bring Godman into the picture after kicking his pen, mind you we were screaming for a drop after the Laidlaw pen, so a bit obvious. My point remains he's a thinking player who seems to run games better from 9.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 16 Jan - 19:59

Laidlaw I think can utilize his game management skills better from 10. The fly half sees a lot more of the pitch than the Scrum half. The 9-10 axis I think will give AR a headache.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 17 Jan - 9:40

Scot Abroad wrote:Regardless of his performance yesterday, I’d still start with Cusiter at 9. When fit, he’s by far the best scrum half we have. Weir didn’t inspire yesterday and I’ve heard Laidlaw played well at 10. With Jackson out it’s between those two for me. It will depend on the gameplan. Either way I fear that he’ll play Parks due to the lack of experience of the others. Schlong at 12 is the best of the bad. He’s not a natural 12 but he’s better than the only “natural” 12 we have in the squad. He’s strong with the ball and can break tackles unlike Morrison. If they work on his offloading then he could be valuable in that position. I did read somewhere that Shingler hasn’t officially been removed from the squad yet due to the matter being dealt with by the regulations committee. Even if the ruling is overturned I can only see him getting an A cap. Has it been confirmed that Ansbro is out of the first game? Here’s my starting backline assuming he’s back fit for England

9 Cusiter
10 Laidlaw
11 Ansbro
12 SLamont
13 NDL
14 Evans
15 RLamont

20 Blair
21 Weir
22 Hogg
I agree that this is the backline Robbo will pick if Ansbro is fit. I'd have preferred to seen Ansbro in place of wee Max, with Schlong in the 11 shirt, and either Scott or Shingler at IC. I'm ambivalent about wee Duncy or Greig at standoff, think both could do a job OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 17 Jan - 10:46

If that is the back division selected then I think we are in business.

We ought not to get our hopes up too high though. Rory Lawson, Parks, Morrison and Danielli remain in the squad.

I think this weekends fixtures will be very important for selections. The Kalman decision has clearly demonstrated how closely Robinson is watching these crucial HC games. Some big performances at the Rec from Weir and Hogg could still change things yet. I also hope the Barclay at 8 experiment is ditched. I want Harley, Barclay and Beattie to start, with Wilson on the bench.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Tue 17 Jan - 14:02

funnyExiledScot wrote:If that is the back division selected then I think we are in business.

We ought not to get our hopes up too high though. Rory Lawson, Parks, Morrison and Danielli remain in the squad.

I think this weekends fixtures will be very important for selections. The Kalman decision has clearly demonstrated how closely Robinson is watching these crucial HC games. Some big performances at the Rec from Weir and Hogg could still change things yet. I also hope the Barclay at 8 experiment is ditched. I want Harley, Barclay and Beattie to start, with Wilson on the bench.

Can't see Beattie starting but Wilson might. And JB didn't exactly cover himself with graces when he came on. Really hope Robbo realised that Barcs is a 7 not an 8, he looked out of sorts on Sunday.

I reckon Danielli will be dropped as will Lawson. Laidlaw, Cusiter and Blair cover the 9 slot a lot better than Rory and Danielli is surplus to req at Ulster and had already been told he needed to be playing to remain in the squad. Parks won't be dropped no matter what as Jacko is out and Morrison is pretty much nailed on for 12 (unfortunately) so can't see him getting dropped...
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Tue 17 Jan - 14:25

If I see ANY of Lawson, Parks or Morrison in the starting 15 of the first 6 nations match, at home, after a near try-less world cup exit in the group stages that used those 3 players, I will have lost faith in AR's selection for good. Sure he might be good at other aspects of coaching, but his selection will finally be proven to be duff.

If any of those do play and then play well, then just imagine what he could have got out of any more-able replacements...

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Tue 17 Jan - 14:39

I don’t know about Lawson, Robbo seems to have a thing for him. Although that may have ended with the defeats to Argentina and England. What does he usually do, drop 4 backs and 2 forwards from the 36 man squad to give the final 30? If so then we’ve already lost one (maybe) with Shingler and if Jackson doesn’t recover that’s two. That leaves Danielli and another to be given the boot. If Jackson isn’t there then I expect him to see Laidlaw, Weir and Parks as cover for 10 and Blair, Cusiter and Lawson as cover for 9. That leaves one of the other backs to get the boot. I have a funny feeling it’ll be one of the new boys. It’s already been said but a big performance this weekend could make or break a 6N place.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 17 Jan - 14:56

Please keep Danielli as it means our youngster, who are better, will be playing during the 6N rather than the management being tempted to give him a game.

He will not have a contract at Ulster next year and to be honest he may just no longer be able to hack it. Seems very down.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Tue 17 Jan - 14:57

In fairness I'll rescind my comment with regards Lawson, because he's actually been doing okay for Glouc ... no worse than Blair and Cus are doing for Scotland's teams. If he, for example, puts Weir at 10 and then puts Lawson (i.e. not Laidlaw) at 9 then I'll flip out.

As an aside (read massively off topic), on my RWC game (hehe) this is the backline that won my world cup:

9 C Cusiter
10 G Laidlaw
11 C Paterson
12 S Lamont
13 N De Luca
14 M Evans
15 R Lamont

20 D Parks (I think he's okay off the bench if you ask me)
21 J Ansbro
22 S Danielli (again I think he's good off the bench)

3 tries from Brown, R Lamont & Ford in a 30-26 defeat of NZ with 20 minute halves on hard in the final. Parks was actually invaluable with the tactical kicking at the end Wink

Then I put it at the back of my bookshelf. But the experience was totally worth the £10 I bought it for!

I'm awesome.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Tue 17 Jan - 15:10

Scot Abroad wrote:I don’t know about Lawson, Robbo seems to have a thing for him. Although that may have ended with the defeats to Argentina and England. What does he usually do, drop 4 backs and 2 forwards from the 36 man squad to give the final 30? If so then we’ve already lost one (maybe) with Shingler and if Jackson doesn’t recover that’s two. That leaves Danielli and another to be given the boot. If Jackson isn’t there then I expect him to see Laidlaw, Weir and Parks as cover for 10 and Blair, Cusiter and Lawson as cover for 9. That leaves one of the other backs to get the boot. I have a funny feeling it’ll be one of the new boys. It’s already been said but a big performance this weekend could make or break a 6N place.

Can't see any reason for Lawson to remain in the squad if Laidlaw stays... Covers both 9 and 10 and therefore no need for 3 9's in the squad... Really hope the young lads get their chance! They might just show Robbo how bright the future is for Scottish Rugby!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 17 Jan - 15:21

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:Can't see Beattie starting but Wilson might. And JB didn't exactly cover himself with graces when he came on. Really hope Robbo realised that Barcs is a 7 not an 8, he looked out of sorts on Sunday.

To be fair to Beattie he was turned over once because he'd made more ground than the backrow were prepared for and thus got isolated. With Barclay at 8 there hadn't been any effective ball carrying from the back row so I think it took Glasgow by surprised when Beattie punched over the advantage line. Not his fault. The second incident, when he was deemed held and carried on, was a tad unlucky I think, and I've seen that sort of thing ignored by refs. A technically correct but pretty pedantic call from Owens and I don't blame Beattie one jot, he was simply eager to press home the advantage and carry forward, something previously reserved for Kellock and Gray.

I like Beattie. I like his unorthodox carrying style and the fact that he always looks to build up pace and smash into the opposition. He can be a little one dimensional, and against Ireland before the World Cup he was held up a couple of times when he went in by himself. What doesn't help him is that he keeps getting picked in drips and drabs and getting 20 minute cameos here and there. He needs to start games. None of Harley, Barclay or Fusaro are going to carry enough ball effectively to give Glasgow forward momentum and therefore quick ball, and whilst Wilson will give it a go, he isn't as good at it as Beattie. If Beattie starts to play the other players will get used to him and support him, like Barclay and Brown used to do. It's a missing part of the puzzle for Glasgow at the moment. Kellock and Gray can't do it all from the second row.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 123skelm Tue 17 Jan - 19:52

funnyExiledScot That,s one of your best statements ever, Beattie is a class act I think he is lacking full backing from certain Quarters and therefore maybe he has a confidence problem?

I also agree about Harley who can tackle all day long but not so good in carrying the ball forward, to easily to ground.

We need quick ball to give our backs a chance which will also help develop them into a new class of play, the potential is there.

123skelm

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Tue 17 Jan - 20:39

123skelm wrote:funnyExiledScot That,s one of your best statements ever, Beattie is a class act I think he is lacking full backing from certain Quarters and therefore maybe he has a confidence problem?

I also agree about Harley who can tackle all day long but not so good in carrying the ball forward, to easily to ground.

We need quick ball to give our backs a chance which will also help develop them into a new class of play, the potential is there.

This seems contradictory to me, you say we need quick ball, but the one thing the Glasgow back row does not provide is quick ball. Their style is to stand off breakdowns and commit the minimum number of players, great defensively, but allows the other side to slow it down all the time (often illegally).

Also please not Harley - yet, at the moment he lacks in discipline, can't read refs and is a walking penalty/YC machine.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 17 Jan - 21:01

Justified, that seems a bit harsh - yes, he's had 3 YCs, but the swinging arm against Scarlets was lame, and the other two were effectively 'team' penalties

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Tue 17 Jan - 21:44

ASBO. His pen count is high though, as is his tackle count, to an extent the two go hand in hand. Just don't think he's ready for internationals - yet.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Tue 17 Jan - 22:09

Christ I remember when Brown, Barclay and Beattie formed their unit 2 years ago in the 6 nations. I don't think anyone saw it any different for years to come ... you're right, Brown & Barclay just knew to support him, and because of his making so much ground on attack, when it came to defence they stole so much ball and had such a high tackle count... ah man.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Tue 17 Jan - 23:04

The problem with Harley as I see it is not his discipline, but his complete lack of a ball carrying game going forward. For a guy of his size, he should be able to make great ground ball in hand, but he doesnt.

From a scotland perspective, we cant afford that. Brown is a decent ball carrier, but not a destructive one. For Harley to play, wed need Brown to shift to eight, which is where we really need Denton. It goes without saying that Denton and Harley cant play together yet, so unfortunately, unless Beattie comes back for the summer and regains the eight shirt, I cant see how Harley can be integrated into the team.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 18 Jan - 8:59

justified sinner wrote:ASBO. His pen count is high though, as is his tackle count, to an extent the two go hand in hand. Just don't think he's ready for internationals - yet.
Agreed that he's not ready for internationals just yet, but I'd go more with the reasons that fES outlined the other day - plus what IBD says above is spot on IMO, it's all about the balance in the backrow OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 18 Jan - 9:11

For me the backrow currently picks itself.

6) Kelly B (C)
7. Rennie
8. Dozer

Kelly Brown has been used at 6 by sarries with lethal effect. Just ask and Sarries fan and they'll let you know how important Kelly Brown is to the team. Furthermore, get the captaincy on him. A really nice guy, passionate Scot and as long as I have watched him play he has never let Scotland down.

Rennie's try and general all round good performand against Metro on Friday all but secured his position at 7 for the 6N IMO. It's easy to say weak tackling let him through, but you could also say he bumped the tackler away and burst through the gain line. Barlcay although not playing poor, has not been at his best.

Denton at no 8 I think will provide something of a surprise for the English. I don't think many premiership sides have played against him before and despite doing video homework he'll be something of an unknown quantity. I would rather his balence of skills as opposed to Vernon's purely speed driven game.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 18 Jan - 9:48

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:For me the backrow currently picks itself.

6) Kelly B (C)
7. Rennie
8. Dozer

Kelly Brown has been used at 6 by sarries with lethal effect. Just ask and Sarries fan and they'll let you know how important Kelly Brown is to the team. Furthermore, get the captaincy on him. A really nice guy, passionate Scot and as long as I have watched him play he has never let Scotland down.

Rennie's try and general all round good performand against Metro on Friday all but secured his position at 7 for the 6N IMO. It's easy to say weak tackling let him through, but you could also say he bumped the tackler away and burst through the gain line. Barlcay although not playing poor, has not been at his best.

Denton at no 8 I think will provide something of a surprise for the English. I don't think many premiership sides have played against him before and despite doing video homework he'll be something of an unknown quantity. I would rather his balence of skills as opposed to Vernon's purely speed driven game.
+1

In fact it would be interesting to see 'dozer up against Ben Morgan - two v similar players in style imo

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 18 Jan - 10:13

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Rennie's try and general all round good performand against Metro on Friday all but secured his position at 7 for the 6N IMO. It's easy to say weak tackling let him through, but you could also say he bumped the tackler away and burst through the gain line. Barlcay although not playing poor, has not been at his best.

You could also say that Grant Gilchrist put in a handy blocking run to his right to ensure several Racing Metro defenders couldn't intervene......I thought Edinburgh were a tad lucky with that one.

Agree with your back row though, and I'd make Brown captain as well.

I've written quite a bit on Harley on another thread. Suffice to say I don't think he's ready, and he needs to develop a more destructive or at least effective carrying game to be considered. His work rate is excellent, and he has a great engine. If he could perhaps add a bit more bulk in the gym (not something I'm usually in favour of but in his case I think it'll help) then he may become that little bit more effective both in the tackle and in carrying the ball. He needs to be knocking the opposition back rather than just bringing them down, and if he is going to give them a metre or so when bringing them down, then he needs to be isolating them and winning the ball.

Ireland did it very effectively to Beattie in the World Cup warm-up. They remembered how effective a ball carrier he was from Croke, and they actually appeared to let him take a metre or so from the advantage line. But what they were actually doing was isolating him so he could either be held up or turned over, knowing that they had taken him away from support. It meant Beattie looked effective, but the end result was Irish ball. Harley could do with learning some of these skills. Currently Brown and Strokosch are better. Both have the same sort of work ethic, but are just a bit smarter with it. Harley will learn, and I'm sure he'll be a great Scotland player down the line.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 19 Jan - 12:28

Iain Morrison on espnscrum.com:

Another long and hard winter?

Andy Robinson and the rest of the Scottish management team will sit down some time in the next week or so, order a big takeaway and work out their starting XV for England come February 4.

They will take several hours deliberating out their best forward pack, Ross Ford verus Scott Lawson, Al Kellock versus Jim Hamilton versus Fraser Mackenzie and Ross Rennie versus John Barclay? Do they start David Denton in the back-row or bring him off the bench? They have options, they have issues.

Tosh, this will take about 3 nano-seconds - right, what game are we going to play? Front row selects itself, who partners Gray (Kellock for quick, Hamilton for grunt), and a nicely balanced backrow of Brown-Rennie-'dozer

After they have argued over the big men the selectors will take approximately 7 seconds to select the backline on the basis of last man standing. Not for the first time in modern history the Scots will have a very useful forward pack and a very average back line in the upcoming Six Nations.

More nonsense, making the best of a dog's breakfast will be extremely taxing!

Robinson wants to play a quick, fluid, attacking, ball-in-hand style more akin to the Aussies than the Springboks but he's got to ask himself if he's got the personnel to do it? For years the Scots did alright by kicking the ball in the air and chasing it and some would argue that this big Scottish pack, Jim Hamilton, Richie Gray, David Denton, Ross Ford and Euan Murray are as big and powerful as anyone in the championship, can take England on up front in an arm wrestle and come away with the spoils.

It doesn't happen often that the Scots outgun their ancient enemy up front but a glance at the likely line-ups come the opening weekend in February will persuade many that the Scots are bigger and more battle hardened than their English counterparts whoever gets the nod from Stuart Lancaster.

So why not pick the tactical kicking genius Dan Parks, 34 in May, ahead of the running option of Ruaridh Jackson? Well, partly because the Cardiff-based Parks would hear the groans of disbelief all the way down in Wales; the Scottish public have never really warmed to the individual Aussie and never mind that there is a Test to be won. The Scots will feel that Parks is a step backwards and so he is but the alternative is Jackson (or a complete rookie in Duncan Weir) who's kicking game can be good but very often isn't.

Dan Parks? Oh my word, has he completely lost the plot? Weir or Laidlaw are the in-form 10s in Scotland, end of story.

To highlight Robinson's woes the two centre spots may be filled by club wingers. The Scarlets' Sean Lamont, is a contender for the number twelve shirt and Joe Ansbro from London Irish is a live prospect for the outside centre slot because Graeme Morrison and Nick De Luca's form has been as patchy as a home-made quilt.

Are you sure you've been watching the same games as the rest of us? NdL has been in splendid form, a revelation in Embra's backline. Ansbro could easily be out injured too. Our best 12s have been Matt Scott and James King, but I suppose it's way too much to ask that further new caps be blooded - oh well.

Elsewhere the Glasgow teenager Stuart Hogg proved himself a very good footballer with a rare turn of pace against Leinster in the Heineken Cup but he also made two crucial mistakes that might have cost his side the match. Does Robinson really want a lightweight, teenage debutant at 13 patrolling the most difficult channel on the field to defend especially when he's spent most of this season playing fullback?

Yup, and he's been playing pretty damn well at fullback too - now we've got Robbo and Lineen buggering about with him at 13 for Glasgow, where it's plain that he's a fish out of water Doh

And the elephant in the room is, of course, the Lions' post that Robinson's dismisses like a pesky fly every time the topic is raised but there is no doubt in most people's minds that he would sell his first born for a shot at leading the tour to Australia.

It would be a high risk strategy and when the Scots hope to match (at worst) England's big men why take an unnecessary risk when a lack of options in the backs means you are taking several enforced ones?

Well, partly because Robinson sees it as part of his task to move Scotland on, to adopt a more rounded rugby strategy, to win with total rugby. He has always had a good idea of how he wants his teams to play the game and it may be too much to ask him to turn his rugby philosophy on its head especially if only for a matter of weeks.

In the back of Robinson's mind will the RaboDirect try machine that is Tim Visser. He becomes available for Scotland this June when the coach will surely want to move the ball wide to give his star winger a chance to show what he can do. And the elephant in the room is, of course, the Lions' post that Robinson's dismisses like a pesky fly every time the topic is raised but there is no doubt in most people's minds that he would sell his first born for a shot at leading the tour to Australia.

To have any chance of coaching the composite team Robinson needs two wins (and preferably three) in the Six Nations which won't be easy. Scotland have won exactly one match in each of the last two Championship seasons.

England are first up and at least there is a nice symmetry to the coaches Stuart Lancaster represented Scotland (at age group level) and Andy Robinson turned out for England in another era. It's not often you can say this but England might take time to adapt to a new coach after years playing to orders. They may just be a little vulnerable.

Scotland hope so because they, and their ambitious coach, need to kick off with a victory or endure another, long and hard winter.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 19 Jan - 13:01

Some crazy (and completely wrong in several places) stuff there from Iain Morrison. Jeremy Guscott-esque.

As you say, the pack pretty much picks itself. There will be some debate rightly over the bench, but presumably Robinson will be true to form and completely screw it up. I also think there will be some debate over whether to include Kellock ahead of Hamilton and what to do at number 8 (and probably a coin toss over the 7 jersey), but it shouldn't be a lengthy deliberation.

The real debate over the selection is at 9 and 10. A bunch of options at 9 and whether to go with Laidlaw or Weir (both quite different players) at 10 (or play both, with Laidlaw at 9). Beyond that I guess there's a discussion to be had over Lamont or Hogg at 15, but it's looking like Lamont has already sealed the deal with the decision at Glasgow.

NDL off form??? His entire credibility vanishes with that comment. He isn't watching any of the games so shouldn't be commenting.

As for Robinson for the Lions - no. I back the job he's done at Scotland but others have better and stronger claims. Were he to go, it should be in a coaching capacity, perhaps the forwards, but not as head coach. His selection record is too mixed.

Last edited by funnyExiledScot on Thu 19 Jan - 13:04; edited 1 time in total

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 19 Jan - 13:02

What is this amateur hour?

I get on at the BBC for sloppy journalism but that is a terrible article at best.

Has he watched any rugby this season at all to base some of his frankly baffling suggestions?

Asbo said the front row picks itself as long as it's not the Sabbath.

2nd row is Gray and then it goes to a shootout between Kellock and Hamilton who have both been playing well.

Backrow will include Brown at 6, with Rennie and Barclay fighting it out for the 7 shirt, and most likely either Dozer or Vernon at 8.

The half back combo is a tough one, but I hope to see Cusiter and Laidlaw or Laidlaw and Jackson. (nothing against Weir but I want a running Scottish 10 instead of a punter). I think this is the area again for Scotland that will be the toughest call. But He is way wide of the mark to think Parks is even in contention isn't he? Please? Someone? Convince me that the big nasty man is blaspheming by even mentioning Desperates name!

In the Centre neither Morrison or NDL have been patchy. Morrison has been rubbish and NDL has been very good. S.Lamont and NDL for the centre berths.

Hogg I don't think will be anywhere near the 13 shirt for Scotland, and I think will be lucky to displace Rory Lamont at 15, with Max and Lee Jones taking the wing berths.

Iain Morrison your article was pants!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 19 Jan - 13:50

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! mad furious mad furious

Could it get any worse? WorldClassPhil has been added to the Scotland 6Ns training squad: Robbo loses the plot - that's it for me, time for Robinson to move on - this is a completely backwards selection, a serious missed opportunity to get someone like Matt Scott involved. I fear that we will now have to fail (again) to move on with another coach Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 19 Jan - 13:55

On what grounds has this call up been made? A last minute drop goal in Paris?

Did he not see the 2nd leg in the 1872 cup when Godman was utterly gash?

9. Blair
10. Godman
12. Morrison

Where is that face palm Icon when you need it?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 19 Jan - 14:04

Going to try and rationalize a wee bit because it's not like I dislike Phil Godman, in fact I think he can be a pretty good player. Let's remind ourselves of a few things.

Edinbrugh of 2009 was based on a linchpin of Mike Blair and Phil Godman, they can be a good combination.

He does seem to get stuck in. Look at his face/head after the 1872 game, it looks like he was mauled by a polar bear. Have you ever seen Desperate Dan look like that after a game?

All these points considered I can't even begin to understand why someone like Godman has warranted inclusion ahead of Matt Scott...... begars belief robbo.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 19 Jan - 14:18

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Going to try and rationalize a wee bit because it's not like I dislike Phil Godman, in fact I think he can be a pretty good player. Let's remind ourselves of a few things.

Edinbrugh of 2009 was based on a linchpin of Mike Blair and Phil Godman, they can be a good combination.

He does seem to get stuck in. Look at his face/head after the 1872 game, it looks like he was mauled by a polar bear. Have you ever seen Desperate Dan look like that after a game?

All these points considered I can't even begin to understand why someone like Godman has warranted inclusion ahead of Matt Scott...... begars belief robbo.
Radge, as much as I admire your efforts to rationalise this selection, harking back to (good)Godman's form in 2009 fills me with horror! Nevermind world class, the bloke is barely Rabo-class any more mad

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 19 Jan - 14:30

Can't disagree with your comment. He would be 4th choice fly half for me at Edinburgh.

Pecking order :

1. Leonard
2. Laidlaw
3. Scott
4. Good Godman
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 19 Jan - 14:33

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Can't disagree with your comment. He would be 4th choice fly half for me at Edinburgh.

Pecking order :

1. Leonard
2. Laidlaw
3. Scott
4. Good Godman
+1 Altho I might go for Simon Webster at 10 ahead of WCP just cos I can!! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 19 Jan - 14:37

I guess the question has to be :

Robbo what are you playing at? What insanity can justify Godman playing at 10 for Scotland when he simply is not good enough?

I just pray he does not start against LI on sunday.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 19 Jan - 14:41

funnyExiledScot wrote:If that is the back division selected then I think we are in business.

Would not have beattie anywhere near the team at the moment. When he came on he gave away about 5 penalties in the first few minutes. Think he is way off form - or as a thought maybe is at form and his 2010 was the exception

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 19 Jan - 14:51

Also, have to say thought Kellock was very impressive last weekend

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 19 Jan - 14:54

He gave away two. One because he made yards and his support, having not played with a proper ball carrier for a while, were miles behind. The second was a rather pedantic call from Nigel Owens calling Beattie held when he continued forward. He came on because Glasgow were needing someone to fulfil the sort of role that SOB and Healy were doing for Leinster, and carrying with a bit of spark and passion. Sorely needed. Selecting Barclay at 8 ahead of Beattie (or Wilson) is ridiculous.

....and yes, Kellock had his best game in a long time. Will make a good impact sub in the 6 Nations.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 19 Jan - 14:57

The Godman selection is utterly dreadful, and completely unneccesary. It's not at 10 that we're short, it's in the centre and on the wing. Matt Scott or James King should have been called, depending on fitness.

Perhaps Robinson has the following in mind:

9. Blair
10. Godman
12. Parks
13. Morrison

Parks could be the second receiver/playmaker - in the same way that Australia use Berrick Barnes or Matt Giteau, and Morrison could move to 13, in the same way that England used Mike Tindall. World Class.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Thu 19 Jan - 15:02

Godman?

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Thu 19 Jan - 15:11

Cannot fathom Godman's inclusion. Is the reasoning for this been put in print any where?

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Thu 19 Jan - 15:16

Manky-Flanker wrote:Cannot fathom Godman's inclusion. Is the reasoning for this been put in print any where?

It's incase Jackson doesn't make it. Let's all pray he's fit in time! Try the scottish rugby website for details

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 19 Jan - 15:24

He still has Weir, Laidlaw and Parks in the squad though. He has ample cover at 10, it doesn't make sense. He also has three other 9's in addition to Laidlaw, so the argument that he considers Laidlaw a 9 doesn't make sense either.

It doesn't make sense!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 19 Jan - 15:28

I'll be delighted to eat my words after we lift the grandslam at this years 6N but right here, right now, Andy Robinson is running out of time and ideas in my book.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Thu 19 Jan - 15:39

If he drops Laidlaw or Weir from the 30 man squad in favour of Godman I'm done.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 19 Jan - 15:40

A lot now hinges on his match selections. The good and the awful are in his training squad so the final decision will be critical.

I will have lost all patience if Parks, Godman or Morrison are in the XV.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 19 Jan - 15:42

Or all three RunRunRun
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 19 Jan - 15:46

Glas a du wrote:Or all three RunRunRun

vomit

Seriously how much more time can be given to washed up Has beens? I fully expect all of the mentioned players to be cut.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 19 Jan - 15:57

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Glas a du wrote:Or all three RunRunRun

vomit

Seriously how much more time can be given to washed up Has beens? I fully expect all of the mentioned players to be cut.
I fear not - if these guys are going to be cut, then no real reason to include any of them, far better to give the wider training squad slot to one of the youngsters so that they can start to learn the ropes at this level (even if they are to be cut before the match day XXII is announced). mad

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Thu 19 Jan - 16:03; edited 1 time in total

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 19 Jan - 16:03

I agree - the use of these "reserve" slots is being completely wasted. If Matt Scott can't do it (because of these legal exams people keep talking about) then what about Harry Leonard??

You'd still need all of Weir, Jackson and Laidlaw to come down with a freak injury before he'd even be needed for the bench, so surely it's a place that should go to a youngster rather than an off-form Godman.

Preaching to the converted I suspect.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 19 Jan - 16:09

Perhaps he's remembering his roots for the first game? Wink

Another bottom two finish this year and Robinson has to go, and Townsend needs shooting.

Scott Johnson can get tae Falkirk too.

When does the squad get trimmed?

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 19 Jan - 16:12

funnyExiledScot wrote:I agree - the use of these "reserve" slots is being completely wasted. If Matt Scott can't do it (because of these legal exams people keep talking about) then what about Harry Leonard??

You'd still need all of Weir, Jackson and Laidlaw to come down with a freak injury before he'd even be needed for the bench, so surely it's a place that should go to a youngster rather than an off-form Godman.

Preaching to the converted I suspect.

Indeed, I wonder if this is justification for Godmans salary. I certainly do not think he is worthy of Inclusion in the squad. He is certainly not there on merit after his performance (if you could call it that) against Glasgow.

If he is there on the back of an over inflated salary and a high pressure drop goal, Robbo has made a big mistake and if we don't see improvement in the 6N his job must be under threat. Him and Toonie!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next