The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...!

+65
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Biltong
nganboy
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Sin é
caoimhincentre
Agnoo1
asoreleftshoulder
flynnnio
valjester
The Great Aukster
slartibartfast
mystiroakey
Smirnoffpriest
geoff998rugby
MMC
RubyGuby
Gibson
Notch
Messymesina
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Ozzy3213
GunsGerms
glamorganalun
gowales
funnyExiledScot
miteyironpaw
RuggerRadge2611
Shane_Williams
Breadvan
Effervescing Elephant
BlueNote
Glas a du
J_D
dogtooth
Luckless Pedestrian
Shifty
Taffineastbourne
Pal Joey
mankiaow
Casartelli
Cari
Artful_Dodger
Cymroglan
Gatts
SecretFly
Comfort
Thomond
bedfordwelsh
Morgannwg
munkian
eirebilly
Pot Hale
Standulstermen
Feckless Rogue
TycroesOsprey
wales606
rodders
Rory_Gallagher
kiakahaaotearoa
RuckingFlanker86
Knowsit17
ME-109
maestegmafia
69 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

Who do you think will be the Winner...???

Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...! Vote_lcap70%Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...! Vote_rcap 70% 
[ 76 ]
Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...! Vote_lcap28%Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...! Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 31 ]
Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...! Vote_lcap2%Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...! Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 109

Poll closed

Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...! Empty Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...!

Post by maestegmafia Thu 05 Jan 2012, 5:11 pm

Ireland Six Nations 2012 Squad

15 -Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
14 - Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
13 - Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
11 - Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
10 - Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
9 - Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
2 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
3 - Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
4 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
5 - Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster) Captain
6 - Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
7 - Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)

Replacements:

16 -Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
17 - Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
18 - Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
19 - Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster)
20 - Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
21 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
22 - Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)

WALES SQUAD

BACKS

Scrumhalf
Mike PHILLIPS (BAYONNE)
Lloyd WILLIAMS (CARDIFF BLUES)
Rhys WEBB (OSPREYS)

Flyhalf
Rhys PRIESTLAND (SCARLETS)
James HOOK (PERPIGNAN)

Centre 3/4s
Jamie ROBERTS (CARDIFF BLUES)
Jonathan DAVIES (SCARLETS)
Scott WILLIAMS (SCARLETS)
Gavin HENSON (CARDIFF BLUES)
Ashley BECK (OSPREYS – Uncapped)

Wing 3/4s
George NORTH (SCARLETS)
Leigh HALFPENNY (CARDIFF BLUES)
Alex CUTHBERT (CARDIFF BLUES)
Harry ROBINSON (CARDIFF BLUES)

Fullbacks
Liam WILLIAMS (SCARLETS – Uncapped)
Lee BYRNE (ASM CLERMONT AUVERGNE)

FORWARDS

Tightheads
Craig MITCHELL (EXETER CHIEFS)
Adam JONES (OSPREYS)

Looseheads
Ryan BEVINGTON (OSPREYS)
Gethin JENKINS (CARDIFF BLUES)
Rhys GILL (SARACENS)

Adaptable to both sides of the Scrum
Paul JAMES (OSPREYS)
Rhodri JONES (SCARLETS – Uncapped)

Hookers
Matthew REES (SCARLETS)
Huw BENNETT (OSPREYS)
Ken OWENS (SCARLETS)

Locks
Bradley DAVIES (BLUES)
Ian EVANS (OSPREYS)
Lou REED (SCARLETS – Uncapped)

Back Five Option
Ryan JONES (OSPREYS)

Blindside Flank Forward
Dan LYDIATE (NEWPORT GWENT DRAGONS)

Openside Flank Forward
Sam WARBURTON (CARDIFF BLUES, CAPTAIN)
Justin TIPURIC (OSPREYS)

Number 8s
Toby FALETAU (Dragons)
Andy POWELL (Sale)

Its a month away, just 31 days to the opening game for Wales and Ireland. The excitement of the start of the tournament is as thrilling as it has ever been. I think we are hoping that both sides will show some of the new talent on display in the HEC given their chances at International level. A mix of experience blended in well to temper the exuberance of youth when it is needed.

How do the teams match up historically?

First ever Ireland vs Wales was at Lansdowne Road, Dublin on the 28th of January 1882.

Ireland nil – 2G, 4T Wales
Try: Evans
Bridie
Clapp
Baker Jones

Con: Lewis (2)

The winning result for Wales was their first ever victory in International Rugby. Since then the two Nations have played for the following results.

117 Played 117
47 Wins 64
64 Losses 47
6 Draws 6
164 Tries 201
85 Conversions 98
131 Penalties 126
21 Drop Goals 33
1227 Points 1353
39.66% Success Rate 54.31%

Last meeting was in the Quarter Finals of the RWC 2011. Wales were victorious in a classic encounter. Both nations fielded exceptionally good teams that had done well in their previous pool matches.

The game previous was in the 2011 Six Nations with another win for Wales, controversial due to the try that should not have been allowed scored by Mike Phillips.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Fri 03 Feb 2012, 6:48 am; edited 12 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...! Empty Re: Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...!

Post by ME-109 Thu 05 Jan 2012, 5:12 pm

In the last 30 meetings Ireland have a 2-1 win ratio....whats your point?

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...! Empty Re: Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...!

Post by maestegmafia Thu 05 Jan 2012, 5:14 pm

Errr...! I didn't make a point. You did, i think? Would you like to elaborate on yours?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 05 Jan 2012, 5:17 pm

Overview of Irelands Six Nations Results

Played 438
Wins 184
Losses 231
Draws 23
Average Pts Per Game 11
Biggest Win 60 - 13
Heaviest Defeat 6 - 46

Last edited by maestegmafia on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 5:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 05 Jan 2012, 5:18 pm

Overview of Wales Six Nations Results

Played 436
Wins 226
Losses 185
Draws 25
Average Pts Per Game 13
Biggest Win 47 - 8
Heaviest Defeat 0 - 51

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 05 Jan 2012, 5:49 pm

DOD wrote:In the last 30 meetings Ireland have a 2-1 win ratio....whats your point?

Same tact as last time eh? Hopefully the Irish posters quoting figures won't be the only thing that's the same as 2011 Very Happy

In any case, it's four wins each since 2004...

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Thu 05 Jan 2012, 6:06 pm

Uh oh, someone dared to not say that Ireland are the best thing since sliced bread Crying or Very sad

Am I back on the old 606?

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 05 Jan 2012, 6:22 pm

Looks pretty even to me in the overall stats. Tough game up first for both sides with a lot to play for. Ireland have France away this year so they'll need to pick up their home wins if they want any chance of winning the 6N.

Kidney will be sure to change his tactics which didn´t work in Australia. He´ll have a new OC and that might be a tough ask having to defend against big Jamie Roberts. Certainly Ireland needs to be more dynamic on attack when they last met and keep Warburton at the bottom of as many rucks as possible.

Wales have a decent draw this year so momentum is the key for them. They won´t have it as easy as they did in the RWC so they'll need to have a different think. With BOD out, it´s a great chance to make the life of the new cap as uncomfortable as possible with plays like George North coming in off the wing as a decoy to keep him guessing positionally where he needs to be with Jamie Roberts powering his way to him angling towards the touchline.

These games are usually close and so are the England vs Scotland matches at Murrayfield. The good thing with these matches is that they are not like watching rugby played in thick porridge.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 05 Jan 2012, 6:40 pm

I honestly don't know who I think will win between Wales/Ireland. I think Ireland will be really fired up this time, but I don't know if they will have fixed the problems in their back-line to do any real damage. I know one thing though, we will be much more effective up front (if not, I will cry). I think our pack will dominate.

This 6 nations in general is going to be very exciting. New coaches, caretaker coaches, new players, an era of players retired. It is pretty up in the air, and anyone can take it. I cannot wait!

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jan 2012, 6:41 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Looks pretty even to me in the overall stats. Tough game up first for both sides with a lot to play for. Ireland have France away this year so they'll need to pick up their home wins if they want any chance of winning the 6N.

Kidney will be sure to change his tactics which didn´t work in Australia. He´ll have a new OC and that might be a tough ask having to defend against big Jamie Roberts. Certainly Ireland needs to be more dynamic on attack when they last met and keep Warburton at the bottom of as many rucks as possible.

Wales have a decent draw this year so momentum is the key for them. They won´t have it as easy as they did in the RWC so they'll need to have a different think. With BOD out, it´s a great chance to make the life of the new cap as uncomfortable as possible with plays like George North coming in off the wing as a decoy to keep him guessing positionally where he needs to be with Jamie Roberts powering his way to him angling towards the touchline.

These games are usually close and so are the England vs Scotland matches at Murrayfield. The good thing with these matches is that they are not like watching rugby played in thick porridge.

Kia, when you say Wales have a decent draw do you mean the order we play the games in? Because the draw is the same every other year I.e. for wales we have Ireland and England away and Scotland Italy and France home, them next year it reverses to Ireland and England home and the Blue teams away, then back to Ireland England away the year after, etc., etc. I've always wondered why they don't change things up a bit though???

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jan 2012, 6:46 pm

I can't see past an Ireland win unfortunately. I know we beat you on neutral ground but a) you'll be smarting from that and out for revenge and b) you'll be playing at home. And know the history books tend to suggest we do better in Ireland than at home but I think you'll win this one, especially if you play like you did against England in the last 6N. That was an awesome display of quick, powerful and ruthless rugby. We'll be in trouble if you play like that.

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 05 Jan 2012, 7:03 pm

If both sides go out with similar players and tactics to the last time then Wales will win comfortably. The last meeting wasn't close at all and Wales could have won by even more.

Kidney will have to come up with a better game plan than in the RWC. If as it looks we will be going in with a midfield of D'arcy and Earls then Wales will batter us I think.

The only way I see us winning is if we dominate Wales up front but bar in the lineout, I can't see that happening if their front row and back row are fit.

Wales by 7- 12 points unfortunately.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 05 Jan 2012, 7:50 pm

Well, for once *fingers crossed* we might be going into a 6N without an entire injured front row (it would seem the second row has all the injuries this year)

Ireland shouldnt dominate the scrum if A.Jones is fit, although the lineout may be in trouble.

I think this one will be decided based on what 22 each team can put out.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:45 pm

At the moment Wales will be fielding a pretty much first choice team except in the second row but Ian Evans and Bradley are really pushing charteis and AWJ anyways so its not going to weaken Wales. Im not expecting the Irish pack to dominate the welsh but a stormy Dublin with O Gara kicking us back all day and slotting penalties whist Priestland struggles makes me wake up at night screaming. Wales by 10 points on paper but..............

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 05 Jan 2012, 11:33 pm

roddersm wrote:If both sides go out with similar players and tactics to the last time then Wales will win comfortably. The last meeting wasn't close at all and Wales could have won by even more.

Kidney will have to come up with a better game plan than in the RWC. If as it looks we will be going in with a midfield of D'arcy and Earls then Wales will batter us I think.

The only way I see us winning is if we dominate Wales up front but bar in the lineout, I can't see that happening if their front row and back row are fit.

Our backrow will dominate Wales this time I feel. Our pack in general will. It is our back-line who will need to add the spark. I am not sure they will.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:06 am

I'm expecting a similar amount of fire in the Irish bellies as they had against England last year. Traditionally Ireland have beaten Wales by beating the bejaysus out of their pack. I know the current Welsh pack is tougher than previous versions, but I think Irish anger and home support will help us dominate up front. If Sexton starts we should be able to conjure up enough scores to win. If Ireland continue to look like a confused mess when they try to attack and lose at home, I'll be starting to call for Kidney's head.

We have no major injury worries. We know what gameplan won't work. There should be no excuses for defeat at home.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:15 am

Charters is a massive loss to wales

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 1:12 am

Standulstermen wrote:Charters is a massive loss to wales

As is AW Jones. But Ireland have the absence of BOD to contend with and I believe he's always been the best leader available who is often underappreciated. And when's the last time O'Connell as skipper has had to face up to an occasion this big? Only for the Lions and that wasn't convincing.

I feel Wales will be in an undeniable mood and sneak it by between 7 and 10 points.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 06 Jan 2012, 2:45 am

maestegmafia wrote: Overview of Wales Six Nations Results
Played 436
Wins 226
Losses 185
Draws 25
Average Pts Per Game 13
Biggest Win 47 - 8
Heaviest Defeat 0 - 51

Overview of Irelands Six Nations Results
Played 438
Wins 184
Losses 231
Draws 23
Average Pts Per Game 11
Biggest Win 60 - 13
Heaviest Defeat 6 - 46

Eh - the actual Six Nations results for Ireland and Wales are:

Ireland
Played 60: Won: 43 (72%) Lost 17
Average points per game: 25
Biggest win margin: 60-13 vs Italy (2000); Heaviest defeat margin: 44-5 vs England (2002)

Wales
Played: 60: Won: 27 (45%) Lost: 31 Drew: 2
Average points per game: 24
Biggest win: 47-8 vs Italy (2008); Heaviest Defeat: Ireland 54-10 (2001)

Their Six Nations head to head results are:

2000: Ireland 19-23 Wales
2001: Wales 6-36 Ireland
2002: Ireland 54-10 Wales
2003: Wales 24-25 Ireland
2004: Ireland 36-15 Wales
2005: Wales 32-20 Ireland
2006: Ireland 31-5 Wales
2007: Wales 9-19 Ireland
2008: Ireland 12-16 Wales
2009: Wales 15-17 Ireland
2010: Ireland 27-12 Wales
2011: Wales 19-13 Ireland

Overall: Ireland 309-186 Wales
Ireland avg. points per match: 26
Wales avg. points per match: 16
Ireland 8 wins to Wales 4
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 06 Jan 2012, 8:27 am

Knowsit17 wrote:
Standulstermen wrote:Charters is a massive loss to wales

As is AW Jones. But Ireland have the absence of BOD to contend with and I believe he's always been the best leader available who is often underappreciated. And when's the last time O'Connell as skipper has had to face up to an occasion this big? Only for the Lions and that wasn't convincing.

I feel Wales will be in an undeniable mood and sneak it by between 7 and 10 points.

POC is one of the best captains a team could have. Inspiration and leadership oozes from him. He will be up for this challenge thats for sure.

I still have Wales as favourites (even in Dublin) though as they have the better and more stable backline. Ireland will probably win the forwards battle but Wales' backs will have a little too much. It should be a very close game though.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 06 Jan 2012, 9:38 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
roddersm wrote:If both sides go out with similar players and tactics to the last time then Wales will win comfortably. The last meeting wasn't close at all and Wales could have won by even more.

Our backrow will dominate Wales this time I feel. Our pack in general will. It is our back-line who will need to add the spark. I am not sure they will.

I don't think our pack will dominate at all. Wales showed in the RWC that they have a better scrum when Jones and Jenkins are fit and they had no problem dealing with the ball carrying of our backrow which is what Ireland's game plan has revolved around recently. The lineout is the one area were our pack is superior.

Wales delt with the arial threat of Bowe and O'Gara's kicks to the corner easliy enough so I don't really see where we will threathen them.

By contrast I don't believe that a midfield containing any combination of D'arcy, Earls, McFadden or Paddy Wallace will be able to hold Roberts, North, Davies so I can't see a different result than the last time.

The only difference that I can see is that we won't underestimate Wales the way we did in the RWC. I think we need to accept that as a team they are better than us now and unless we find something extra or do something different against them then we will struggle. From the post match comments in the RWC Wales neither fear us or particularly respect us and we need to earn that respect back.

As the signs are that Kidney won't be making many changes from the RWC its hard to see how we will over come the 10-12 point deficit we lost by in NZ. I hope I am proved wrong but I think Gatland and Wales have our number right now.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 06 Jan 2012, 9:42 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:

Thats what alot of people said before the WC game butty bach, was a completely different story though. People are saying 'Ire;and will be really up for it' - why wouldnt have they been 'up for it' the last two games ?

Whatever is said - should be a great game cant wait thumbsup
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:05 am

Looks like Phillips is available for the Welsh squad. I'm sure he will be trying to add a third consecutive try and win within 12 months

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:22 am

Go on Spikey ! thumbsup
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:49 am

Griff, I meant more the fact that Wales´tough games have easier games sandwiched in between: Ireland, England and France have Scotland and Italy in between. That´s a pretty good draw as well as having France at home, which I realise happens every alternate year.

Get that win away to Ireland and your whole tournament is set up nicely for a crunch game against France at home. Lose and you'll have to pick up wins from there to have any chance.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:06 pm

Yeah, I see what you mean now Kia. If, and it's a big if, Wales can get that win in Ireland then that will be such a big boost. If it was France away and it was a loss then that could lead to confidence being knocked and a bad tournament.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:13 pm

As everyone always says you cant win the tournament without a good start.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:17 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Griff, I meant more the fact that Wales´tough games have easier games sandwiched in between: Ireland, England and France have Scotland and Italy in between. That´s a pretty good draw as well as having France at home, which I realise happens every alternate year.

Get that win away to Ireland and your whole tournament is set up nicely for a crunch game against France at home. Lose and you'll have to pick up wins from there to have any chance.

I think the fixtures fall nicely for Wales too. They have France at home, who have the strongest team and although Ireland away 1st up is tough, we are notoriously slow out of the blocks in the 6N. We nearly lost to Italy last season.

If Wales can beat Ireland away then I think they will be in a very strong position but I do fancy France or England to win the competition.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:29 pm

Three wins over Ireland within 12 months would be a decent achievement too..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:46 pm

roddersm wrote:
kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Griff, I meant more the fact that Wales´tough games have easier games sandwiched in between: Ireland, England and France have Scotland and Italy in between. That´s a pretty good draw as well as having France at home, which I realise happens every alternate year.

I think the fixtures fall nicely for Wales too. They have France at home, who have the strongest team and although Ireland away 1st up is tough, we are notoriously slow out of the blocks in the 6N. We nearly lost to Italy last season.

If Wales can beat Ireland away then I think they will be in a very strong position but I do fancy France or England to win the competition.

Out of interest, why England ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:51 pm

Well Munkian I just think they will be fired up after the RWC debacle. If you don't mind me saying so I think they will be doubly seething about the plaudits Wales have been getting.

They are the reigning champions so aren't a bad side and I think the fact they are being written off a bit will suit them and they will have a seige mentality.

On paper France and the Wales look stronger but I just have a hunch that England will be super motivated to get revenge over France and get one over Wales. They have us at home and will relish beating us too.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:55 pm

Our backrow/pack were not dominated in the first half actually, I thought Warburton and co. were largely ineffective to begin with, and we looked to be putting up a good fight. Then our gameplan of using Ferris/SOB as constant battering rams was our undoing, as it was all we had and the Welsh backrow dealt with it easily. Both players have much more to their game than that, and I feel the same mistake will not be made. Unless Kidney is plain stupid.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 06 Jan 2012, 12:59 pm

roddersm wrote:Well Munkian I just think they will be fired up after the RWC debacle. If you don't mind me saying so I think they will be doubly seething about the plaudits Wales have been getting.

They are the reigning champions so aren't a bad side and I think the fact they are being written off a bit will suit them and they will have a seige mentality.

On paper France and the Wales look stronger but I just have a hunch that England will be super motivated to get revenge over France and get one over Wales. They have us at home and will relish beating us too.

Everyone should be fired up though. And England will be missing a few of its strongest players and won't have much time to gel.

Ireland/Wales will be playing with a pretty un-changed sqaud - I dont see a lot of new caps except maybe to replace injuries.

I'm not writing off England at all just wondered why you put them over Ireland/Wales
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:45 pm

Looks like wales will have Henson, Roberts, Davies and Evans available. AW Jones fit after the first two matches too.

Phillips and Byrne are released by their clubs too..

Might have a decent squad to pick from

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 11 Jan 2012, 12:05 am

Ireland have the best back row in world rugby. It's foolish to assume they will lose. Ferris O'Brien Heaslip king
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 11 Jan 2012, 12:42 am

The young Welsh back row are learning mate, they'll get there one day..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 11 Jan 2012, 11:56 am

The back row battle is one area I am looking forward to but certainly not worried about.

I rate Ferris and Heaslip very highly but Faletau just keeps getting better and Lydiate does so much grafting and tackling that a No6 should do.

Have always said he we can win this openeing game then it sets us up nicely but it won't be easy.

2nd row is one area where Ireland have clear advantage over us and one area that always worries me about our side.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 11 Jan 2012, 1:09 pm

That again is going to be a great tussle, as will the halfback battle, Priestland vs Sexton or Jones vs O'Gara...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 11 Jan 2012, 2:55 pm

Whose likely to start in place of BOD?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 11 Jan 2012, 2:56 pm

Keith Earls/O'Malley/Cave. Earls will probably get the job.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 11 Jan 2012, 3:09 pm

Thomons,

Is he up to it, I know it will be big shoes to fill etc.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 11 Jan 2012, 3:16 pm

He isn't my first choice for the role anyway, I would probably have Cave. Look at the thread on Keith Earls and you will see how opinion on his capabilites varies! I think he will be solid he needs a good centre inside him probably mcFadden or Wallace. I don't think he will end up at 13 long term but he is a decent solid replacement.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 11 Jan 2012, 3:52 pm

Although earls has more experience internationally, Cave has looked excellant this season so far, and more deserving of a start at 13 imo.

Kidney doesnt seem to be the most daring of selectors. Mcfadden/Cave would be a good combination for ireland to take forward over the 6ns/summer tours.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 11 Jan 2012, 4:13 pm

O'Malley won't be playing. Not sure why people are still suggesting him for 13 atm.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 11 Jan 2012, 4:16 pm

Comfort wrote:Although earls has more experience internationally, Cave has looked excellant this season so far, and more deserving of a start at 13 imo.

Kidney doesnt seem to be the most daring of selectors. Mcfadden/Cave would be a good combination for ireland to take forward over the 6ns/summer tours.

I don't think it's players so much as disjointed... (bad word in Ireland,but here goes) - coaching. With our backs coach Gaffney now gone and not being replaced before the Six Nations, I see the potential there for a more fluid gameplan now....a blessing in disguise almost. It's how Earls ( or whoever else might get the role) will be used, what connection there is between forwards and backs, that I think will dictate Irish progress this year, rather than who will take O'Driscoll's lordly spot. None of the alternatives Are O'Driscoll and will therefore need a lot of guidance and a structure that everyone works to.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 11 Jan 2012, 5:01 pm

absolutely secretfly, thats something thats not going to be easy to live up to, and theres potentially a problem for anyone & everyone that comes into that 13 shirt for Ireland, they aren't BOD. Everything they do will be scrutinised in the press, and there'll be a campaign around "who'll be the next BOD?" (similar to the Wales and number 10 jersey since the glory days of the 70s - Im scared for the next player to take wee Shanes shirt!).

I said elsewhere that I really dont think Irelands current coaching team will be the ones to push the international side forward (in terms of results anyway).

Very interested for this game, changes to be made by both sides, a sort of passing of the torch if you'd like. What will Wales be like after their training camp? Will Ireland come out rejuvanted? Irelands new centre partnership? Wales new 2nd row partnership?

I shouldnt imagine this game to swing either way by more than a score. Can't really call it, so I'll go with Wales, as long as we can take our own ball boys.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 11 Jan 2012, 5:26 pm

My one worry for us is at half back.

I am hoping we start with Priestland but I can't see S Jones being in the 6 Nation squad so our back up will be Hook or Biggar, neither fill me with confidence.

Ireland on the other hand are likely to go with Sexton and O'Gara wit hSexton likely to start (am guessing) so if things go wrong we all know what O'Gara brings to game and is the maestro at kicking the corners and Ireland have big edge over us in 2nd row.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed 11 Jan 2012, 5:38 pm

Ireland have the edge marginally in the pack its a fact and if we lose this game due to missed pens I will blow an O ring....but if we can get parity at the set piece and SW does his job at the breakdown then I see our backline as being more dangerous

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 11 Jan 2012, 6:04 pm

Gatts wrote:Ireland have the edge marginally in the pack its a fact

Wales have a better scrum so thats not necessarily true.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 11 Jan 2012, 6:12 pm

I would say:

Wales have edge in Front Row

Ireland edge in 2nd row

Back row all square

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next