The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales team vs Ireland

+49
rodders
quinsforever
LordDowlais
Funkingfullback
profitius
munkian
kiakahaaotearoa
Gibson
LeinsterFan4life
asoreleftshoulder
Mickado
RubyGuby
theshanker
sheephead
Liam
welshy824 (new)
XR
Notch
GavCanDance
BigTrevsbigmac
ME-109
geoff998rugby
Cocokav
VinceWLB
Taffineastbourne
GunsGerms
Feckless Rogue
slartibartfast
littlejohn
gavstar
ScarletSpiderman
jimmyinthewell68
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
theslosty
Knowsit17
Engine#4
SecretFly
Seagultaf
maestegmafia
international197
majesticimperialman
GavinDragon
Jhamer25
The Saint
glamorganalun
mckay1402
bedfordwelsh
gatlandgun
wales606
53 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Wales team vs Ireland Empty Wales team vs Ireland

Post by wales606 Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:27 pm

Team announced

WALES SQUAD TO PLAY IRELAND: Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro), George North (Northampton Saints), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Racing Metro), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Andrew Coombs (Newport Gwent Dragons), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Racing Metro), Sam Warburton (CAPT – Cardiff Blues), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons).

Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Paul James (Bath Rugby), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), James Hook (Perpignan), Liam Williams (Scarlets).

Last edited by wales606 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Wales team vs Ireland Empty Re: Wales team vs Ireland

Post by gatlandgun Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:32 pm

Gatland won't drop the halfbacks.

gatlandgun

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:37 pm

gatlandgun wrote:Gatland won't drop the halfbacks.

Probably not, but that is who I would pick
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:14 pm

My side would be:

James (even if Jenkins is fit)
Hibbard
A Jones (but he is struggling)
AWJ
Charteris
Lydiate
Faletau
Warburton (Thought Tipuric was quiet)

Phillips (poor but Webb was no better)
Biggar (Better tactically which will be needed)

North
Roberts
Sc Williams (Really wary about rushing JD back)
Cuthbert

Halfpenny
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:59 pm

I'd start Samson lee.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:13 pm

I agree with the above team selection apart from Warburton playing 6 he should be on the bench. I thought Lydiate played well today and will be needed next week.

Preistland was a poor as ever, missing touch, charged down, turned over leading to a try, kicking aimlessly, slow passing, hospital passes and missing overlaps but other than that he was great. This guy should be nowhere near the squad, D Biggar should start he rarely has a poor game unlike Preistland.

I would like Lee on the bench to cover Adam.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:13 pm

Why would you start Lee? The front row did well today in spite of the Italians constantly trying to collapse it (and not getting penalised for doing so that often).

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:20 pm

A Jones is struggling but Rh Jones is doing well and deserves to keep slot.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:21 pm

I don't agree. I think Adam went backwards a bit and Lee is purpose built for the new laws
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:11 pm

Rhodri struggled a bit when he came on sorry. When Paul went off our scrum just collapsed, Ryan isn't up to it at international level . Adam had a good game one of his better this season, he isn't there yet but he will. I want Samson to come in on the bench and obviously when Gethin is back he will go straight back in at loosehead.

The thing with Tipuric is that he is the best 7 in wales without a doubt in my mind. But he didn't make a big claim for that 7 shirt today like he should have. I said that he needed to make it impossible for Gatland to drop him but he didn't he was very quite today. It's his own fault really and will be on the bench next week. Lydiate was very good today, made a lot of tackles, carried particularly well and will start next week.
I get hearing myself talking about Mike but i'm wasting my time because he isn't going to be dropped. Rhys Webb to start for me no doubt about that.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:31 pm

Samson Lee is the form scrummaging TH in Wales

Whether I would start him next week is another matter, would def have him on bench tho

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:48 pm

I guess it did not help with Half penny given an intercept pass, leading to an Italian try.

I guess you could put todays game down to rustiness, not just for Wales also for Italy. If Italy add ad more time together, i would have fancy ther chancers over Wales thats for sure.

Was it just me? Or did Wales/or rather the Welsh players look a little tired today?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:58 pm

JH,

I know he will but why should Jenkins go straight back in James is the better scrummager? With Healy back at prop for Ireland Adam will start but for me he's not the sure fire starter he once was, I know the new laws not suit him great so lets hope he can adopt.

I thought Rh Jones went well when he came on and had a good AI and its obvious that Gatland sees something in him that he doesn't see in Lee but playing Prem rugby is not ideal prep for test matches.

Agree on Tipuric he was quiet, I have always said that Lydiate Faletau and Warburton are our best backrow combo and seen nothing today to dispute that.

Phillips was slowwwwwww today but didn't think Webb much better.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:18 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Was it just me? Or did Wales/or rather the Welsh players look a little tired today?

Ben Dirs (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/25998101) wrote:"Wales... fatigued in win over Italy".
"The uncomfortable truth is that Wales looked... worryingly fatigued at the final whistle".
"Number eight Taulupe Faletau aside, the Welsh pack tired alarmingly".

Jonathan Davies (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/25998101) wrote:"It's been a sluggish display".

Gareth Griffiths (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/six-nations-2014-rusty-wales-6657824) wrote:"It served as a reminder to a sluggish Wales".

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:26 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:JH,

I know he will but why should Jenkins go straight back in James is the better scrummager?  With Healy back at prop for Ireland Adam will start but for me he's not the sure fire starter he once was, I know the new laws not suit him great so lets hope he can adopt.

I thought Rh Jones went well when he came on and had a good AI and its obvious that Gatland sees something in him that he doesn't see in Lee but playing Prem rugby is not ideal prep for test matches.

Agree on Tipuric he was quiet, I have always said that Lydiate Faletau and Warburton are our best backrow combo and seen nothing today to dispute that.

Phillips was slowwwwwww today but didn't think Webb much better.

Because beford he isn't a bad scrummager. Some people make out that he isn't a good scrummager and it really annoys me when people say it (not that you said he was a bad scrummager though, just making a point) because he is far from it. He and Adam have always given a platform for wales and have been the best prop partnership i have seen in years. Since the good old English days when they one the world cup.
Imo he isn't up there with the likes of Domingo and Ayerza but what he brings to the team as a whole is so much more than Paul. Is James a better scrummager maybe but he is known to give a lot of penalties away at scrum time, granted Gethin might not be as strong as him but he is technically a very good scrummager and can do as good a job as Paul at scrum times. I have never seen Gethin get destroyed at international level at scrum time.
Rhodri has two scrums, we one one from a penalty because Castro wasn't driving straight but Rhodri lost his feet and was going backwards before that. The second scrum was just completely destroyed and the Italian won a penalty from it. Now Samson has been in great form all season and been giving established international props a run for their money and Rhodri has played much at all, where is the sense in Gatland.

People haven;t been giving enough praise for Dan's effort today, he proved me wrong. Toby was awesome as well, Tipuric was out of sorts I felt.

I don't think Webb had much of a chance to get into things though, Your are right the service was no quicker but we have to try something apart from Mike. I just think he knows he is going to start every game which doensn't push him. He nly proves useful in the big big games.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:51 am

Next week is not the right time to introduce Sampson against what might be a feisty Irish scrum, even from the bench.

The word is that Sampson is struggling to get his fitness levels high enough. (friends daughter is now one of the physio minions at the Vale).

Yee didn't play well, Italy didn't either and Italy showed the spirit and skill that got them a win in Paris last year.

We know that the boys in camp understand that level of skill and execution won't get them three in a row.

Wholesale changes aren't necessary, formerly injured players that are now fit shouldbe introduced from the bench.

I thought Roberts and Williams worked well, I liked Charteris and AWJ at lock.

To me Lydiate and Charteris looked unfit, but we know the big French clubs do not aspire to high levels of stamina.

Phillips needs a kick up the backside, he doesn't have anyone pushing him hard for his place, Webb did well but was not a sparkling improvement.

I would like to see experience in Dublin, we need to keep our heads.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:27 am

Gatland does seem to favour Rh Jones over Lee at the moment and I can't see that changing next week.

I think the only changes we will (possibly) see will be in the back row and the centre depending on the fitness of Warburton and Davies which could then affect the bench as well.

Warburton proved his yesterday so am guessing he will start and for me it would be at 7 with Dan at 6.

I am still wary about rushing JD straight back in and thought Roberts and Willimas went well in patches yesterday, anyone know how JD went yesterday for the Scarlets?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:34 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:Gatland does seem to favour Rh Jones over Lee at the moment and I can't see that changing next week.

I think the only changes we will (possibly) see will be in the back row and the centre depending on the fitness of Warburton and Davies which could then affect the bench as well.

Warburton proved his yesterday so am guessing he will start and for me it would be at 7 with Dan at 6.

I am still wary about rushing JD straight back in and thought Roberts and Willimas went well in patches yesterday, anyone know how JD went yesterday for the Scarlets?

All I know is he got through without injury

I think you are right regarding the backrow, Warburton in and Tips to benchis a good move. More physicality at the breakdown. I wouldn't rush in Jon Davies either.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:35 am

if Samson Lees fitness levels are not good enough - fine but still have him on the bench for the last 20 as he will win penalties at the scrum as that is his domain.

Does anyone think we perhaps didnt show enough respect to the italians yesterday? Over the years we do seem to switch off for games against perceived weaker sides, Tonga in the autumn springs to mind.

I think a positive is we still won - looking comfortable - in second gear.

I suppose the frustrating this is the best teams in the world rarely allow this to happen and right now with this squad we should be setting the standard a little higher.

The only change I would make for next week is Biggar and Warburton. Biggar because game management and kicking will be vital next week and warburton because i feel he brings more physicality.

I would bring JD to the bench if fit enough as impact if needed.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:38 am

When you look at the bench yesterday we had Hook who could cover 10 and centre and Li Williams who covered the back 3.

Would a bench of Hook and JD work, Hook would again cover 10 and then XV (though that would worry me) and then JD would be centre cover.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:40 am

GavinDragon wrote:if Samson Lees fitness levels are not good enough - fine but still have him on the bench for the last 20 as he will win penalties at the scrum as that is his domain.

Aye but if Adam Jones was injured in the first twenty we would end up with Sampson getting a full game. Not necesarily a bad thing at all. Might work out really well for us, but I am guessing that the coaches want him to grow into the team gradually.

He is young and has massive potential I am not upset that his management is so cautious.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:40 am

GavinDragon wrote:if Samson Lees fitness levels are not good enough - fine but still have him on the bench for the last 20 as he will win penalties at the scrum as that is his domain.

Does anyone think we perhaps didnt show enough respect to the italians yesterday? Over the years we do seem to switch off for games against perceived weaker sides, Tonga in the autumn springs to mind.

I suppose the frustrating this is the best teams in the world rarely allow this to happen and right now with this squad we should be setting the standard a little higher.

The only change I would make for next week is Biggar and Warburton. Biggar because game management and kicking will be vital next week and warburton because i feel he brings more physicality.

GD,

Was it a lack of respect or just our (god knows why) usual slow start?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:42 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:When you look at the bench yesterday we had Hook who could cover 10 and centre and Li Williams who covered the back 3.

Would a bench of Hook and JD work, Hook would again cover 10 and then XV (though that would worry me) and then JD would be centre cover.

True that is a good point.

I don't mind hook covering 15. We are far more fortunate to have hooky covering fifteen than many other nations are with their less than comparible cover.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:44 am

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:When you look at the bench yesterday we had Hook who could cover 10 and centre and Li Williams who covered the back 3.

True that is a good point.

I don't mind hook covering 15. We are far more fortunate to have hooky covering fifteen than many other nations are with their less than comparible cover.

I think that would be my preferred option Maes, give JD 20 off the bench if not needed earlier.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:45 am

Maes - if that happens then so be it thats the risk you take. But R Jones looked under pressure at scrum time yesterday, hes a tall lad, and these new laws do not help tall props whatsoever. Plus hes not starting for the Scarlets which for me sends the wrong message out anyway. (but then i have always hated Gatlands left field selections e.g prydie's debut etc)

BW - perhaps, but we do tend to get brought down to (perceived) lesser teams levels

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:47 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:

GD,

Was it a lack of respect or just our (god knows why) usual slow start?

I think comparing the mindset to the tonga match last November is justifiable point, yesterday we switched off massively, let errors creep in and our intensity in all aspects dropped markedly...

It's not disrespectful to Italy,as they took that opportunity and got back into the game. But I think by halftime most people were probably expecting Wales to leap from 20 points to 40 points without conceding a try.

That was good Italian team, well lead by the legendary Parisse. They have a strong set piece, good halfbacks in Gori, Allan and Botes and they deserved to be in the game more than they were for much of it.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:47 am

The only changes I would make would be Warburton at 7 and Jenkins at 1 ( both if fully fit) and to the bench, as I thought that on Saturday the weak bench almost cost Wales the game.

The Wales pack did not fire in tight or loose but that was close to the best 8 players and they must perform better in Ireland.

Behind the scrum superstar Halfpenny had one of his poorest games for Wales, out of position for the first try and threw the interception pass for the second. Is his mind already in the South of France? Can't really criticise the others as they were not getting front foot ball with which to attack.

My bench would depend on the fitness of key players so:

James (if Jenkins is fit) or Rh Jones (he is a good loosehead but poor scrumager at tighthead, Bevington is just not up to scratch)
Owen
Lee (see my comments on Jones above)
Ball (in the absence of Evans, Jones and Davies Wales need some beef if Charteris or Alan Wyn goes off)
Tipuric (bad day at the office yesterday he will play better)
Rh Williams (Webb did not impress me)
Biggar (tight call between him and Priestand but both much better than Hook)
Jon Davies (bring him on for 30 mins when the game starts breaking up) if not fit then Liam Williams.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:50 am

I agree with those saying that Webb didnt impress yesterday - he didnt.

But he came on at a time when Italy were in the ascendancy and then we threw the intercept and for me RP went missing.

I think Webb has been in good regional form over the last month so should be given another shot

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:51 am

Seagul,

I dont think we will see a Welsh squad with Biggar and Priestland in same squad, I think whoever starts (for me it would be Biggar) then whilst Hook is about he will be 10 cover on the bench as offers more all round coverage than the others.

I agree with rest other than again I would start James and introduce Jenkins.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:59 am

international197 wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:Was it just me? Or did Wales/or rather the Welsh players look a little tired today?

Ben Dirs (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/25998101) wrote:"Wales... fatigued in win over Italy".
"The uncomfortable truth is that Wales looked... worryingly fatigued at the final whistle".
"Number eight Taulupe Faletau aside, the Welsh pack tired alarmingly".

Jonathan Davies (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/25998101) wrote:"It's been a sluggish display".

Gareth Griffiths (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/six-nations-2014-rusty-wales-6657824) wrote:"It served as a reminder to a sluggish Wales".

The main thing is that the Irish won't fall for it if it's just a ruse. They'll be preparing to face the Champions, playing at Champion's pace.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:37 pm

mckay1402 wrote:I don't agree.   I think Adam went backwards a bit and Lee is purpose built for the new laws

I don't ever remember him going backwards. Actually Adam wheeled it around and won the turnover on one occasion, mind you, the Italians did win it back in the return scrum straight after, we can thank Bevington for that, along with the ref's reluctance to penalise Castro. This is why we missed Gethin, he had Castro up his sleeve for the full 80 in last years game. I'd also change the halfbacks. Priestland erratic as ever yet again, a true reflection of his form this season. Which begs the question, why on earth was he selected to start?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:47 pm

The Italians have a good pack and good halfbacks, better than last year.

Their set piece was very confident and they rattled Wales yesterday. I think we looked smarter in open play than Italy, but Italy can take confidence from their first game going into their second.

Unfortunately for Italy I have a feeling that the French will tear them apart.

Looking forward to seeing this afternoons match.

Apparently Paul o'Connell might be out with a chest infection

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:49 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

believe me, I know that chest infection is no joke. Lot's of people having pretty rough times with that, including me.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:53 pm

SecretFly wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

believe me, I know that chest infection is no joke.  Lot's of people having pretty rough times with that, including me.

Sorry to hear that Fly

Get well soon, at least you have plenty of entertainment on tv this afternoon.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Engine#4 Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:53 pm

The Saint wrote:

Priestland erratic as ever yet again, a true reflection of his form this season. Which begs the question, why on earth was he selected to start?

Priestland was dangerous with ball in hand and made a few breaks but the fact is that he is supposed to be the 10, not the 11-15. He was blocked down twice and had numerous other kicks down the opposition throats. It looked like he had been instructed to keep the ball in play when he kicked, is this part of the Welsh gameplan? Fair enough if your ten can kill the ball in the corner behind the opposition back three and force them to play it with no angle but it wasn't happening for Rhys yesterday. The French and Scottish back 3s will thrive on that kind of counter attack ball.

Engine#4

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:26 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Seagul,

I dont think we will see a Welsh squad with Biggar and Priestland in same squad, I think whoever starts (for me it would be Biggar) then whilst Hook is about he will be 10 cover on the bench as offers more all round coverage than the others.

I agree that Hook is supposed to cover 10, centre and 15 but the fact is he is dire in all those positions, and his only virtue is that he is a reliable kicker but so is Biggar! His rugby has gone backwards for years and the fact that he is 3rd choice at Perpignan behind, youngsters Tommy Allen and Lopez says a lot!

Both Liam Williams and Priestland are better at 15 and Biggar has played well there for the Ospreys, centre can be covered far more effectively by whoever from Roberts, Williams and Davies misses out.

So why is he there at all?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:50 pm

Seagultaf wrote:

I agree that Hook is supposed to cover 10, centre and 15 but the fact is he is dire in all those positions, and his only virtue is that he is a reliable kicker but so is Biggar! His rugby has gone backwards for years and the fact that he is 3rd choice at Perpignan behind, youngsters Tommy Allen and Lopez says a lot!

Both Liam Williams and Priestland are better at 15 and Biggar has played well there for the Ospreys, centre can be covered far more effectively by whoever from Roberts, Williams and Davies misses out.

He is there because he has been playing really well at both fullback and flyhalf for USAP.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:32 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:

He is there because he has been playing really well at both fullback and flyhalf for USAP.

If he is playing so well, why is he 3rd choice?

I cant remember when he last did anything to warrant a Welsh shirt, probably since he was at the Ospreys. Wales have better players in every position that he covers now.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:03 pm

Seagultaf wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:

I cant remember when he last did anything to warrant a Welsh shirt, probably since he was at the Ospreys. Wales have better players in every position that he covers now.

That is probably the last time you watched him play, before he moved to France. He is playing well, I don't think he would be a better flyhalf than Priestland, I agree with Gatlands selection of Priestland yesterday, I thought he added a lot to our game that Biggar can't.

But as a bench playerHook is a massive asset to Wales.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:04 pm

Ireland are playing well this afternoon. They are going to be a tough test for us next week in Dublin.

I am hoping that they start losing control a bit in the second half.

Close score line, scots playing well but Ireland look the better side.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:16 pm

Ireland's driving maul is looking intense, just confirms that the Welsh forwards are going to have to step up the physicality given that they struggled in this area vs Italy. The breakdown is also an important issue, POM is giving Ireland a lot of possession to work off.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:48 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:

That is probably the last time you watched him play, before he moved to France. He is playing well, I don't think he would be a better flyhalf than Priestland, I agree with Gatlands selection of Priestland yesterday, I thought he added a lot to our game that Biggar can't.

But as a bench playerHook is a massive asset to Wales.

You have a point, as I don't get see USAP play apart from the Euro games, but I have see Hook play a number of times in the last few seasons in the red of Wales and he has shown nothing that warrants a bench place ahead of Biggar, Priestland or Patchel (when fit).

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:02 pm

Can't help but agree on Hook. He's a nothing player for Wales nowadays, the last handful of games I've seen him play he has predictably been nothing more than a liability. Club form be damned, he has consistently choked for Wales and never shown the composure to be taken seriously given all the chances Gatland sees fit to gift him. Realistically he makes up the numbers in the squad at best, his constant inclusions are one of the enduring mysteries of the Gatland era alongside such gems as Priestland's conveyor belt of mediocre performances, Rhodri's reserved seat on the bench and Halfpenny's failure to apply his potent attacking attributes.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:33 pm

This dropping Adam for Samson would be a stupid call. I thought Adam played pretty well yesterday and got around the park. Is he at his best yet No but he was a lot better yesterday than he has been all season.
I don't believe for one second that Samson isn't being picked because of his fitness, he seems to do well enough for us, our reserve tight heads don;t usually come on until after 60-70 minutes. He is the in form tight head in wales and deserves that 18. shirt.
Ireland scrum is very vulnerable and players like Adam Jones take advantages of that. Watching Cian today he done ok but there were 2 or 3 time she scrummaged illegally and wasn't driving straight (i don't expect Joubert to see that though because he is shocking)

Masteg I don't think Dan and Luke looked unfit they just put in a good shift around the park. Dan was top tackler and was seen a lot in the open and Luke was second highest tackler.
I agree that John should be on the bench next week. Scot and Jamie both justified their inclusion for next week, both worked well together.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:55 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:

Masteg I don't think Dan and Luke looked unfit they just put in a good shift around the park. Dan was top tackler and was seen a lot in the open and Luke was second highest tackler.

no wonder I thought they looked like they were blowing. Impressive stats...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:56 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:This dropping Adam for Samson would be a stupid call. I thought Adam played pretty well yesterday and got around the park. Is he at his best yet No but he was a lot better yesterday than he has been all season.
I don't believe for one second that Samson isn't being picked because of his fitness, he seems to do well enough for us, our reserve tight heads don;t usually come on until after 60-70 minutes. He is the in form tight head in wales and deserves that 18. shirt.
Ireland scrum is very vulnerable and players like Adam Jones take advantages of that. Watching Cian today he done ok but there were 2 or 3 time she scrummaged illegally and wasn't driving straight (i don't expect Joubert to see that though because he is shocking)

I agree that John should be on the bench next week. Scot and Jamie both justified their inclusion for next week, both worked well together.

Agree Adam isn't an issue, his scrummaging looked slightly better yesterday than it has been for the O's. And yes, Samson should be second choice on current form, just a shame Rhodri Jones happens to be one of Gatland's mistresses.

Re Ireland's scrum, that statement may have been accurate in the past but maybe not so much now I fear. The established Ireland props have improved and adapted very efficiently to the new scrum laws while Adam has arguably had to endure a tougher transition. They've also got some powerful lumps coming through in Moore and McGrath, underestimate them at your peril.

If Wales want to win and win well they simply need to match or better Ireland in the areas the latter thrive off. By that I primarily mean the ruck and maul, the forwards were pretty rampant against Scotland 2nd half. If we can't disrupt their breakdown and allow them to have as much possession and quick ball as they did today I can't see us faring any better.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:17 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:
Jhamer25 wrote:This dropping Adam for Samson would be a stupid call. I thought Adam played pretty well yesterday and got around the park. Is he at his best yet No but he was a lot better yesterday than he has been all season.

Agree Adam isn't an issue, his scrummaging looked slightly better yesterday than it has been for the O's. And yes, Samson should be second choice on current form, just a shame Rhodri Jones happens to be one of Gatland's mistresses.

Re Ireland's scrum, that statement may have been accurate in the past but maybe not so much now I fear. The established Ireland props have improved and adapted very efficiently to the new scrum laws while Adam has arguably had to endure a tougher transition. They've also got some powerful lumps coming through in Moore and McGrath, underestimate them at your peril.

If Wales want to win and win well they simply need to match or better Ireland in the areas the latter thrive off. By that I primarily mean the ruck and maul, the forwards were pretty rampant against Scotland 2nd half. If we can't disrupt their breakdown and allow them to have as much possession and quick ball as they did today I can't see us faring any better.

Some very good points there Knowsit...!

The Irish were very dynamic at the breakdown, the scots were blown apart. That's a good unit they have and they are playing well.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:

Fair enough I agree that Cian Healey has become an established scrummager but not Ross. I can see either Gethin or Paul being a belt to put pressure on him. Adam was very good against Leinster when they were away to Leinster and Ian went off, they were down to 7 and Adam handled him very well; I might be wrong but I think it should be an area to target, Scotland put a bit of pressure eon Mike through Grant ans I think we can target that. Also even though Mcgrath has come along this season he is like Mako, great int he open but not able to hold his own on the big stage. Moore ia a reta talent coming through but still too young to throw into a big game yet.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:40 pm

Maybe, not that familiar with McGrath's scrummaging capabilities personally, just know he's rated highly for his province and increasingly in the Ireland set-up. Moore on the other hand could well find himself fast-tracked into the starting side given Ireland's lack of depth at tighthead and especially if Ross gets injured which has happened before.

I don't expect the scrum to be the turning point for either side in any case. McBryde needs to put the forwards through their paces in training all of this week if we want to compete and nullify those facets of play that Ireland make such good use of, in the tight and on the floor.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:48 pm

The scrums looked quite even today. That may have been parity, may also have been that both teams were too scared that Joubert would go penalty crazy like the Scots vs Wales match last year.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next