The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

likely ireland team v wales

+11
GunsGerms
marty2086
bedfordwelsh
asoreleftshoulder
Mickado
Pete330v2
rodders
san
Golden
Notch
littlejohn
15 posters

Go down

likely ireland team v wales Empty likely ireland team v wales

Post by littlejohn Tue 04 Feb 2014, 9:32 pm

I both love and loath this game. for me ireland v wales is the biggest game of the 6N now and the rivalry has built up steadily over the last few years. if both teams are fired up this will be a right old clanger, with bodies on the line and benches offloaded to replace shattered, bruised and near broken men.

I wonder if POC will start or not. he's such a talisman that even at 85% that might be worth considering. personally I'd start with touhy, a hard uncompromising man with a great offloading game. Bringing POC on after 55mins or so would be real confidence boost for the team.

I expect minimal other changes other than darcy starting, simply for his defensive coordination. Marshall had a great game so it's no great difference other than the need to contain Williams and Roberts.

Back 3 I expect the same startup, although McFadden is knocking on the door instead of Trimble who did have a good game v Scotland.

front row will be a humdinger and I expect ireland to dominate, but In Hibbard you literally have a 4th backrow. In the backrow I suspect wales will have the edge now, but expect both teams to target turnover and counter attacks as main scoring opportunities.

I expect it to go to the last minute or too, or even last play. Here's hoping ireland have better luck than we did against New Zealand!

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

likely ireland team v wales Empty Re: likely ireland team v wales

Post by Notch Tue 04 Feb 2014, 10:48 pm

I'm thinking...

Healy Best Ross
Toner O'Connell
O'Mahony Heaslip Henry
Murray Sexton
D'Arcy O'Driscoll
D. Kearney R. Kearney Trimble

I think Toner will continue in the side because so much of what Plumtree has us doing starts at the line out and Joe Schmidt loves a backs move based on off the top ball. Tuohy may be the better all round rugby player (I think he is tbh) but Toner is a 6'10 security blanket that'll make sure our line out functions even under pressure.

It's galling because I don't really rate Toner outside the set piece but with the emphasis we place on that area its probably just about the right call.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Tue 04 Feb 2014, 11:51 pm

Notch wrote:I'm thinking...

Healy Best Ross
Toner O'Connell
O'Mahony Heaslip Henry
Murray Sexton
D'Arcy O'Driscoll

I think Toner will continue in the side because so much of what Plumtree has us doing starts at the line out and Joe Schmidt loves a backs move based on off the top ball. Tuohy may be the better all round rugby player (I think he is tbh) but Toner is a 6'10 security blanket that'll make sure our line out functions even under pressure.

It's galling because I don't really rate Toner outside the set piece but with the emphasis we place on that area its probably just about the right call.

I think toner is a cert too. lineout and receiving kick returns are his posiitives. he's not too bad in tight but i see touhy as much stronger defensively and it the tight. i would expect him to be a stronger scrummager too.

win here will set team up for grand slam noise alongside france. massive one!

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue 04 Feb 2014, 11:58 pm

Having a secure line out can give the team a lot of extra confidence. While toner is great on our own ball I don't think hes too good at stealing oppositions (at least not as good as he should be). Hes not used nearly enough on opposition line outs for my liking. I'd have him up at the front of every line out so the hooker has to throw it over him.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:42 am

Indeed, it was actually Tuohy and O'Mahony who did the most damage to a fairly ropey Scottish line out. Thats something we could target in the Wales match, but POC is also rather good at pinching ball.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by san Wed 05 Feb 2014, 7:51 am

Tumbleweed 

Fitzgerald and Reddan definately out.

Tumbleweed

san

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 05 Feb 2014, 9:21 am

I think Schmidt will either stick with the same side plus O'Connell, or throw a curve ball and pick Tommy O'Donnell, Martin Moore and maybe Sean Cronin to start.

Either way we'll be taking them on in the pack.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 9:32 am

"front row will be a humdinger and I expect ireland to dominate, but In Hibbard you literally have a 4th backrow"

True but in Besty you get an entire backrow Wink

I have come to feel the very same about this game. I loath the thought of how close to the bone I'll chew my fingernails but love the immense rivalry and match quality we can expect between the sides.

Cannot wait!!!!!

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 05 Feb 2014, 10:33 am

Shame that Reddan and Fitzgerald are definitely out, think their being told to play for Leinster next week and see where they’re at after that. So they could be back for the England game…?

I’m hoping Moore starts this weekend, he’s had 3 outtings this year against the Ospreys and looked more impressive with each game. He’s got more around the field than Ross at this stage too, so it just comes down to his scrummaging and I think he’s got that now. Also I think Touhy will give a better impact off the bench than Toner.

Healy – Best – Moore
Toner – POC
POM – Heaslip – Henry
Murray – Sexton
D.Kearney – Marshall – BOD – Trimble
R.Kearney

Cronin – McGrath – Ross – Touhy – TOD – Boss – Jackson – McFadden

Did anyone else notice how strong Cronin and McGraths carrying was when they came on. That’s some serious bench impact right there.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 05 Feb 2014, 10:47 am

Yeah, McGrath is really pushing Healy, who was phenomenal with his own carrying. Some depth building there in the pack which is great.

I really like the look of O'Donnell too although Henry had a great game. With Ruddock and Copeland pressing hard too we may not miss O'Brien at all.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed 05 Feb 2014, 10:57 am

Notch wrote:I'm thinking...

Healy Best Ross
Toner O'Connell
O'Mahony Heaslip Henry
Murray Sexton
D'Arcy O'Driscoll

Toner is pretty decent at disrupting the ruck and he always has a high tackle count,I think it's very close between him and Tuohy but I'd prefer to see Tuohy on the bench as I think he'd be far more effective as an impact sub.He could add real physicality at an important time and the Welsh bench looks weak to me so I think we could have a real advantage there.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 05 Feb 2014, 11:29 am

I can't see O'Connell lasting 80 min, if he makes it at all. Toner to start for me with Touhy to come on for POC at some stage.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 05 Feb 2014, 11:31 am

I think the pack is pretty much level pegging and line out aside I think they will cancel each other out, SOB is huge loss for Ireland and Heaslip against Faletau will be big battle.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 11:47 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:I think the pack is pretty much level pegging and line out aside I think they will cancel each other out, SOB is huge loss for Ireland and Heaslip against Faletau will be big battle.

Heaslip stepped up against Scotland and took on some of the responsibility for ball carrying if POC is back that'll be another plus from his game and that maybe where Tuohy could edge out Toner.

The only area where SOB will be missed will be his ability to break through, or even over, defences

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 05 Feb 2014, 11:56 am

When is the team announced? Tomorrow?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:04 pm

Gatland is giving an interview on newstalk soon if anyone is interested.

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:06 pm

Gretgael1 wrote:Gatland is giving an interview on newstalk soon if anyone is interested.
thanks

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:07 pm

They seem to be talking about the weather and floods in Cork now?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:10 pm

Within the next 30 minutes or so.

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:12 pm

GunsGerms wrote:When is the team announced? Tomorrow?

Yes, tomorrow.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:12 pm

Thanks

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:17 pm

Gretgael1 wrote:Gatland is giving an interview on newstalk soon if anyone is interested.
Oh God - we know where that's going to go.  Forget.......................... well, I can't actually mention it or I myself would be guilty of keeping it going Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:21 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Oh God - we know where that's going to go.  Forget.......................... well, I can't actually mention it or I myself would be guilty of keeping it going Wink

I hope the Heaslip/ Faletau debate doesn't rear it's ugly head again  Very Happy 

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:23 pm

he is being very diplomatic.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:24 pm

I hope I dont get booed too much. Ha

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:27 pm

Gatland comes across very well. All pretty standard stuff. Didn't know his son had got a pro contact in New Zealand.

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:29 pm

There was an article about his son on here last year.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 05 Feb 2014, 12:54 pm

We must always remember one thing about Gatland (and maybe he himself is refering to it in that interview) but I still think it'scorrect (might be getting close now though in Wales) but the majority of Gatland's coaching career still took place in Ireland.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 05 Feb 2014, 1:26 pm

"The majority of Gatland's coaching career still took place in Ireland". Too right, a parallel to Rhys Ruddock's playing career thumbsup 

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 05 Feb 2014, 1:28 pm

RubyGuby wrote:"The majority of Gatland's coaching career still took place in Ireland". Too right, a parallel to  Rhys Ruddock's playing career thumbsup 

I'm just saying Wales should be glad we trained him up for them. The ingratitude!!!! Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 05 Feb 2014, 1:29 pm

RubyGuby wrote:"The majority of Gatland's coaching career still took place in Ireland". Too right, a parallel to  Rhys Ruddock's playing career thumbsup 

Headscratch 6 years at Leinster, he's 23... When did his career start exactly? Minis?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 05 Feb 2014, 3:25 pm

Can't imagine many changes to the irish team other than Paul O'Connell getting over his chest infection...!

Hope we can match our billing, we didnt have a great game against Italy last week. There were some good points but i think everyone expects much more from the lads.

Wales have an impressive away record in the Six Nations. Last time we lost was in Paris at the end of the 2011 Championships.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 05 Feb 2014, 3:32 pm

We are more than pleased you trained Gats up for us - much appreciated. As for Ruddock, I think his dad played in Wales and was a successful coach, got shafted by the WRU mismanagement team and Rhys took umbrage and defected to Ireland where he has made a much better career for himself as his opportunities here would have been limited. Love the way the craic is building up for Saturday. Surely we haven't got a hope in hell  Yahoo  Yahoo  Yahoo  Yahoo  Yahoo  thumbsup 

Nice to be back after a few months, I'll give it a few days, maybe 5 or 6  thumbsup 

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 05 Feb 2014, 3:35 pm

RubyGuby wrote:We are more than pleased you trained Gats up for us - much appreciated. As for Ruddock, I think his dad played in Wales and was a successful coach, got shafted by the WRU mismanagement team and Rhys took umbrage and defected to Ireland where he has made a much better career for himself as his opportunities here would have been limited. Love the way the craic is building up for Saturday. Surely we haven't got a hope in hell  Yahoo  Yahoo  Yahoo  Yahoo  Yahoo  thumbsup 

Nice to be back after a few months, I'll give it a few days, maybe 5 or 6  thumbsup 

Mrs Ruddock is Irish too... Hence their choice for living and working there.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 05 Feb 2014, 3:36 pm

RubyGuby wrote:We are more than pleased you trained Gats up for us - much appreciated. As for Ruddock, I think his dad played in Wales and was a successful coach, got shafted by the WRU mismanagement team and Rhys took umbrage and defected to Ireland where he has made a much better career for himself as his opportunities here would have been limited. Love the way the craic is building up for Saturday. Surely we haven't got a hope in hell  Yahoo  Yahoo  Yahoo  Yahoo  Yahoo  thumbsup 

Yesterday was so empty I contemplated throwing in the towel here. Yep, today is more lively and ..well, more people around too...even seasonal troublemakers showing up. Wink A little bit of heart and soul has returned to 606

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 05 Feb 2014, 3:40 pm

Fly - I hear Schmidt is going to put the Lions final Test team up on the Irish dressing room wall for motivation - I hope he remembers to tipex over the fecking score.  Hug I love it on here for few days then I'm off (perhaps)  thumbsup 

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 05 Feb 2014, 3:46 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Fly - I hear Schmidt is going to put the Lions final Test team up on the Irish dressing room wall for motivation - I hope he remembers to tipex over the fecking score.  Hug I love it on here for  few days then I'm off (perhaps)  thumbsup 

No, Ruby, he already has his own Home team up on the wall for motivation. Wink No room for the Lions on Irish minds right now.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 05 Feb 2014, 3:51 pm

"No room for the Lions on Irish minds right now."

I'll remember that when I hear the applause reserved fro Gatland when he enters the stadium  thumbsup 

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 05 Feb 2014, 3:57 pm

RubyGuby wrote:"No room for the Lions on Irish minds right now."

I'll remember that when I hear the applause reserved fro Gatland when he enters the stadium  thumbsup 

You'd be surprised perhaps. The Irish that know Gatland have a kind of a fondness for him in a movie script kind of way in that our story is such a mixed one and he has had such a long run and newsworthy relationship with us that he's more a pantomime devil than a serious one. So yeah, there might be boos...but I'd guess they'll be pantomime ones. He knows he and his team will be treated with respect.... afterall, we cheered the English into Croke Park.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 05 Feb 2014, 5:40 pm

"we cheered the English into Croke Park." - yes I remember just like cheering little lambs into the abattoir - it was pitiful - shame on you - Give me the boos any day thumbsup 

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 05 Feb 2014, 5:43 pm

RubyGuby wrote:"we cheered the English into Croke Park." - yes I remember just like cheering little lambs into the abattoir - it was pitiful - shame on you - Give me the boos any day thumbsup   

the memories...ahhh, the lamb was tasty.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down