The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Argentina player release.

+3
JayMaster3000
doctor_grey
Cymroglan
7 posters

Go down

Argentina player release. Empty Argentina player release.

Post by Cymroglan Sat 07 Jan 2012, 11:11 pm

Organisers believe Argentina will add a new dimension when they join an expanded Tri-Nations competition alongside Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.
The South Americans will compete in the rebranded Rugby Championship from August 2012.

Has the Argentinian domestic league turned professional yet ? and since most of their players play outside Argentina how will they manage with player release.
I seem to remember that the IRB were going to give them special dispensation regarding player release but have heard nothing on how they were going to implement it and if there is such a rule then surely Argentina internationals will become less attractive to Northern Hemisphere clubs.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Argentina player release. Empty Re: Argentina player release.

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jan 2012, 9:22 am

Won't the Tr Nations weeks be classed as an 'international window'? If so, I would imagine that they would have to be released a week before games just like NH teams do before the 6N. Not really special dispensation but just a normal international release window. With the other 3 nations tending to only pick players playing at home (SA I think may have picked a few playing in europe) the tri nations hasn't really affected NH club rugby.

You're right though, Argentinian players will be less attrrictibe if missing for the start of the season (August - October). Apart from being good players, maybe that's one of the reasons clubs have picked them in the past as they never had to worry about call ups to tournaments apart from the world cup every 4 years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jan 2012, 9:43 am

The huge irony of the SH moaning about the English and French clubs buying power and yet they have employed argentines in enough numbers to create a competitive Test team that the SH has taken the benefits.
The logic going forward though they will now have to be to employ those players (the Argentine league is not ready) otherwise they will have a 12 month season and thus open up their closed shop S15 teams - perhaps also to PI players.
There appears to be a recognition that the SH business model is not sustainable by looking for private investment too - interesting times ahead.

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 08 Jan 2012, 10:50 am

I was in Buenos Aires in early December. Articles in the local newspapers were still discussing possible league formats and operating models. It would seem, based upon what I read, that a professional league in Argentina is about a year away.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Sun 08 Jan 2012, 11:36 am

I've also read, not as good as local newspapers, that Argentina are on the brink of professional rugby.

My understanding is that they will have one or two seasons of 'The Rugby Championship' build more interest and get the public use to buying tickets then establish a full time league.

It's not clear if they will just use existing clubs, provinces or create new super-clubs. And my understanding is that they may attempt to enter something into the Super Rugby in the near future as well.
But please if you know I'm wrong or can add more detail I would be fascinated to know more.

So saying all this, in a few years will not matter about player release because all their best talent will probably be playing at home.

Also did you know that Argentina have over 50,000 or 500,000 teen players. With the establishment of a league and their inclusion into the TRC I can see them winning the 2019 or 2023 world cup.

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 08 Jan 2012, 1:10 pm

JayMaster,
I don't think you are wrong, but at the moment there are still a number of very different proposals as to how to structure the pro league there. Many of the clubs are quite powerful, as we see in England and France. In fact, their entire Rugby structure, as with many things Argentine, is based upon the English system. But, being Argentine, it will take them a while to sort out the best way forwards, whether clubs or franchise/regions/super clubs. In Argentina, they can be "on the brink" for quite some time.

One of the cool things about Buenos Aires is leaving the airport on the way into the city. Driving out the access road, there are a number of soccer pitches. Then, all of a sudden, there are goal posts. Real, honest to goodness Rugby goal posts. Right along the main access road. Majestic against the back drop of soccer pitches.

In the Buenos Aires Airport Customs hall are big signs advertising Agreentine Rugby and the RWC. A country like this deserves a proper Rugby league. It almost makes me forgive the Falklands mess (but not quite).

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 08 Jan 2012, 2:34 pm

Most clubs who currently employ Argentinians especially in England are most likely going to get rid of them as quickly as possible unless they're are very good, so goodbye Agulla and Camacho. The SANZAR nations are going to have to lower the restrictions on foreign players or else these guys won't have anywhere to play.

I don't see the point in Argentina joining the super 15 apart from employment for the players. Having 4 conferences in 4 different countries on the other sides of the from each other would be stupid.
A professional league in Argentina is the way forward. Maybe they could even have a Heineken Cup style format for the Americas in the future.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 08 Jan 2012, 3:30 pm

Ideally argentina should have one or two Super?? teams. It fits the SH playing window and is the best preparation for their players, particulary in the level being played.

Release from all over NH and other club rugby to scramble a squad in a week or two is inviting trouble for their scoreboard. Their biggest advantage now is relying on strong home advantage and unfamiliarity from the 3 N teams though Scotland showed home was not as big an advantage a couple of years ago.

Frankly Im surprised the time used over the last 3 years wasnt put to better use in trying to negotiate sxv contracts at least until they can introduce at least one franchise.

A little like oz arg dont have a strong underlying national competition so rely heavily on the superxv to be competitive internationally.

It will take time so interesting yet experimental times ahead. Lets just hope the first year doesnt leave arg in too bad a position as the 3N sides will realise the arg matches are must win to have any chance, and arg is capable of winning one or two.

For NZ there is also a real possibility of dropping two firsts next year. Ireland and arg.
Interesting times ahead.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 08 Jan 2012, 3:34 pm

One possible avenue would be for Argentina to enter more teams into the Vodacom cup as an immediate solution, they won the tournament last year and could justifyably advocate anther team.

With the Currie Cup down to 8 teams in a full calendar already I cannot see any opening there.

For the life of me I cannot see the Super 15 expand much further as it is allready ridiculously structured. If you do add an additional conference then you may as well just let the top teams in each country play a domestic round robin and let the top two qualify for a quarter final play off.

Sa, OZ and NZ canot fill 5 super rugby squads anyway and there is already too much rygby, so an extended squad for these teams, each adding 5 players will accommodate 75 Argentine players into a competitive league.

It will be interesting to see which way they go.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 08 Jan 2012, 3:45 pm

Yea i was thinking about the Vodocom cup it will be interesting to see if Argentina tries to expand on that.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 08 Jan 2012, 4:30 pm

The Argetina Provincial system is pretty good based on their history, If Argentina is to develop then it might be better for Buenos Aires to join the Super 15, considering they rarely lose to nay international opposition I can't see a problem with them. they have beaten South Africa, Wales, England (several times), France etc.

Argentina doesnt have any money to offer sadly, it's just a pity it is so far out of the way from the rest of the rugby world.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down