The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gethin Jenkins to Bath?

+23
flankertye
Cymroglan
mckay1402
whocares
glamorganalun
Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
munkian
HongKongCherry
wales606
bigballbag
Morgannwg
Shifty
LondonTiger
Bathman_in_London
formerly known as Sam
beshocked
bathmad
bedfordwelsh
Impossible Standards
maestegmafia
Rugby10
Bathite
HERSH
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Gethin Jenkins to Bath? - Page 2 Empty Gethin Jenkins to Bath?

Post by HERSH Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:47 am

First topic message reminder :

The Rugby Papers front page story is speculating that Gethin has turned down a move to Perpignan and will not be renewing his contract with Cardiff Blues and is looking at Bath, it appears they have also bid for Adam Jones too. Very Happy

The Golden era of Bath rugby is drawing nearer. Yahoo
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Gethin Jenkins to Bath? - Page 2 Empty Re: Gethin Jenkins to Bath?

Post by HERSH Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:02 am

I've heard its a done deal as long as Bath get into the HC
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:24 am

Wow, thats a big if!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:02 am

Time to target the LV cup!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:37 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
The clubs may agree to release players like Sale have done but then the PRL step in.

They have taken to doing that because of the EPS agreement. It took years of haggling with the RFU to get the release the RFU wanted and the compensation for player loss the PRL wanted. The entire agreement would come under a great deal of threat if the PRL clubs started giving other nations the same release options which the RFU is paying handsomely for. It's nothing against Wales or WRFU (though they seem to be making the most fuss about it) it's just business. If the player has the agreement written into his contract then the PRL can do nothing about that player's release for international duty.

Sam it's the WRU, the Welsh Rugby Union. No football in it.

The IRB allow for three day national training camps, for example Wales want one prior to this six nations. Mike Phillips and Lee Byrne are released fot it by their clubs. similarly we should be granted access to Powell or Mitchell if wanted, but I will be surprised if we are.

The problem with the PRL is that the RFU have no control over them, club owners run the game, much like in soccers Premiership. That's not great for anyone bar the club owners.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:16 pm

"The problem with the PRL is that the RFU have no control over them, club owners run the game, much like in soccers Premiership. That's not great for anyone bar the club owners."

I'd rather have PRL running the game than the showers of .... at the RFU!

HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:29 pm

The problem with the PRL is that the RFU have no control over them, club owners run the game, much like in soccers Premiership. That's not great for anyone bar the club owners

It's pretty good for the fans as well. Means we still have a meaningful national competition. Imagine if the RFU had their way and had just shoved the clubs together as regions [shivers at the thought]. The English clubs are there for competition and winning trophies not as a national team test centre.

I also agree with Hersh in that the PRL make far less bungles than the RFU do and although, they are inheritently self centred at least they can all agree on a similar cause. Incidentally the last time the WRU had a major problem with the PRL it was because the WRU refused to pay the insurance cover on the players they wanted access too.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolfs_Cartoon_Club Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:38 am

Torygraph ran a story that he's off to Toulon. (Sorry, new to the site and haven't (can't be bothered to) worked out how to do a link). This might just be agent chat, mind as they're also after Sheridan too, which would mean two top dollar internationals on one side and Carl Hayman on the other... Wow!!

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:56 am

Why would anyone go to Bath, no HC next year, near the bottom of the league, poor ground but could form the basis of the Lions just like Wasps had a disproportional number of the English contingent last time.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolfs_Cartoon_Club Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:40 pm

Principally, the reason why any player would go anywhere is cash, and there are only four or five clubs in the UK who have the financial reserves like Bath does, plus the slack created by an increased salary cap and Marquee player status to take up.

HC rugby is not out of the question for us, and if we don't qualify next season it's not as if we can't join in the season after. Likewise the league placing- I'll eat my hat if we go down, and Bath and Geech have a track record of making an end of season dash for the top end of the league.

Rightly or wrongly, Geech might be a lure for British or Irish players looking to impress for the Lions next year.

The training facilities at Bath are better than any rugby club in England, and it'll be a matter of time before they will be the best anywhere. The ground issue has been festering for years, but there is light at last at the end of the tunnel and an decision as to whether we can build a new stand is projected for a few weeks time.

Security will be another major influence. We have a billionaire owner with ambition to match, so I'd say irrespective of league places and cup status, Bath is a pretty juicy option for any player. I reckon it's why most out of contract played seem to be linked with us, the majority of whom are merely names bandied by agents to up their profile and pay packet on the market.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:28 pm

Gethin is roumoured to have met with RCT manager Bernard laporte last week. Toulon was trying to get Barcella for next year but he re-signed with Biarritz so are still looking for a top LH. Servat is also joining Toulon so their 1st row would look serious (eventhough Hayman is not at his best). Otherwise they also signed Michalak.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:34 pm

I thought that a French move was off, because his Mrs. said no. That's the main reason why I thought Bath might be an option. In fact the only reason, loads of money to play in sunny France in the top competitions, rested for the easy games or commute to Bath to play in misery!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:34 pm

eventhough Hayman is not at his best

Don't they have that Georgian unit as well, Zvikrashvilli (sp?). From memory he's a pretty tidy prop.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:13 am

I just read that he's going to Saints as a replacement for Ashton
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:31 am

Will the last Welsh player to leave Wales please turn out the lights!

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:26 am

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club wrote:Principally, the reason why any player would go anywhere is cash, and there are only four or five clubs in the UK who have the financial reserves like Bath does, plus the slack created by an increased salary cap and Marquee player status to take up.

HC rugby is not out of the question for us, and if we don't qualify next season it's not as if we can't join in the season after. Likewise the league placing- I'll eat my hat if we go down, and Bath and Geech have a track record of making an end of season dash for the top end of the league.

Rightly or wrongly, Geech might be a lure for British or Irish players looking to impress for the Lions next year.

The training facilities at Bath are better than any rugby club in England, and it'll be a matter of time before they will be the best anywhere. The ground issue has been festering for years, but there is light at last at the end of the tunnel and an decision as to whether we can build a new stand is projected for a few weeks time.

Security will be another major influence. We have a billionaire owner with ambition to match, so I'd say irrespective of league places and cup status, Bath is a pretty juicy option for any player. I reckon it's why most out of contract played seem to be linked with us, the majority of whom are merely names bandied by agents to up their profile and pay packet on the market.

Decision has been "iminent" at least 5 times over the last few years. The sooner that Bath realise a combination of council or trustees will not grant permission, the better. Granted it would be a shame to lose the location, but players and fans are missing out on a dedicated stadium.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:01 am

mckay1402 wrote:I just read that he's going to Saints as a replacement for Ashton

laughing

better sidestep Wink
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolfs_Cartoon_Club Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:04 am

I agree it's been banging on for decades, but Nick Bloefield, the CEO of Bath emailed me the other day (on another matter- we're not that close!), and said they expect an answer "within weeks".

The Rec is a sh*t hole, but it's a beautiful, integral sh*t hole which we love as much as you chaps love the Cardiff Arms Park. Having been to both the CAP and the CCS many times, I think I prefer the old, outmoded version every time than the glitzy, 2/3 empty out of town stadium.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:17 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:Will the last Welsh player to leave Wales please turn out the lights!

That'll be a while seeing as we may have Welsh players coming back to Wales along with the academy production lines still working.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:28 am

Morgannwg wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:Will the last Welsh player to leave Wales please turn out the lights!

That'll be a while seeing as we may have Welsh players coming back to Wales along with the academy production lines still working.
Let's hope these academies can actually produce some regional success and an improvement over 4th in the 6 Nations. I'm not so sure they will, hence players chasing the big bucks while they can. I guess they also want to play in front of some decent sized crowds too. Can't blame them really.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:32 am

Milk the six nations was a year ago lots of changes since then.
In the last tournament that Wales were involved in we finished fourth in the World.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:35 am

Cymroglan wrote:Milk the six nations was a year ago lots of changes since then.
In the last tournament that Wales were involved in we finished fourth in the World.
If we're talking about recent form then you've lost the last 3 on the trot. Not good form going into the next tournament.

There does seem to be one heck of an exodus of Welsh players who have either left or will probably be leaving to play abroad soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:40 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:

Let's hope these academies can actually produce some regional success and an improvement over 4th in the 6 Nations. I'm not so sure they will, hence players chasing the big bucks while they can. I guess they also want to play in front of some decent sized crowds too. Can't blame them really.

Well they seem to produce an awful lot of players of international standard with a small player base that only covers the South parts of the country. There was in improvement, in the World Cup where they finished higher than England despite England having a breeze of a group. The only players who want big bucks are late in their playing careers, i:e around 30, players from all over the world do that, not just in Wales. Not sure why you're bringing crowd figures into this, that's clutching at straws because it has nothing to do with player development.

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Cymroglan wrote:Milk the six nations was a year ago lots of changes since then.
If we're talking about recent form then you've lost the last 3 on the trot. Not good form going into the next tournament.

There does seem to be one heck of an exodus of Welsh players who have either left or will probably be leaving to play abroad soon.

True, and we could cope without all of them in the squad which helps prove me to be correct. And it isn't a mass exodus like you are making out. BTW, who will probably be leaving soon? It is all rumours for now, nothing will be confirmed until March.

Last edited by Morgannwg on Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:41 am

Gotta be honest, the loosehead I see going to Bath is Jon Golding of Newcastle Whistle

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:42 am

Milk we lost to sides who are better than us.
And what is the problem with players moving to other clubs if they have a release clause ?

Back to the three lost games it was against the second and third best sides in the world a loss is a loss but there was not much in it.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:46 am

Cymro,

There's no problem with them moving at all. I think it will be good for them to experience another country and different playing styles/coaching etc.

I've always thought it's a good thing and that having a rule to keep players in their home country can be a bit backward thinking. As long as clauses are sorted out then it shouldn't be a problem. It's not like they would be moving to the other side of the world.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:57 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:

There's no problem with them moving at all. I think it will be good for them to experience another country and different playing styles/coaching etc.

Have you seen what the premiership coaches have been doing to players over the last few years?????

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:58 am

flankertye wrote:Gotta be honest, the loosehead I see going to Bath is Jon Golding of Newcastle :whistle:

I did wonder that myself to be honest, but still holding out for a marquee signing there, maybe Tony Woodcock fancies a cheeky pension? Rumours of Hudson coming back as well, we need another good lock. What happened to Golding? Onyl seems 18 months ago that he was being shoed in for Sheridan's shirt

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Bathite wrote:
flankertye wrote:Gotta be honest, the loosehead I see going to Bath is Jon Golding of Newcastle Whistle

I did wonder that myself to be honest, but still holding out for a marquee signing there, maybe Tony Woodcock fancies a cheeky pension? Rumours of Hudson coming back as well, we need another good lock. What happened to Golding? Onyl seems 18 months ago that he was being shoed in for Sheridan's shirt

Complete sick note, he's not played at all this season. Could have really done with him too. He signed a new contract last year, but I don't know how long for or if it has any clauses in it.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:11 am

If Golding's fit, he would be an excellent signing! Quality player.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:03 am

Adam Jones now saying he'd like to sign up for four more years. No excuses now, sign him TF up O's furious

Let's hope his sentiments are more honourable than Charteris'.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:00 am

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club wrote:I agree it's been banging on for decades, but Nick Bloefield, the CEO of Bath emailed me the other day (on another matter- we're not that close!), and said they expect an answer "within weeks".

The Rec is a sh*t hole, but it's a beautiful, integral sh*t hole which we love as much as you chaps love the Cardiff Arms Park. Having been to both the CAP and the CCS many times, I think I prefer the old, outmoded version every time than the glitzy, 2/3 empty out of town stadium.

Too right and Bath not playing at the Rec anymore would be quite wrong and as wrong as Cardiff not playing at the Arms Park.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:21 am

Yeah, I hadn't heard much about Golding, he was being touted very highly on here 18 months ago, he's getting on a bit but still a quality player.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolfs_Cartoon_Club Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:30 am

Golding's an ex-Millfield boy, so has a West Country connection. Hadn't heard Hudson was back on the radar, though.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:50 am

According to the Rugby Paper Sarries are sniffing around Gethin. furious

Those accountants Sarries are using must be brilliant! mad

Everyone can see what is going on so why doesn't the authorities take action against them?

The salary cap is there for a reason.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:12 am

I think we might have to be careful throwing stones from our glass houses there HERSH!

Would be a joke if they got him though, beat us to Vunipola last year as well and have barely played him

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:30 am

I don't think Bath have ever abused the salary cap. Headscratch
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:32 am

I have no proof, but if teams had worked out ways around it, i'm sure we would be one of them

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:45 am

According to the Rugby Paper Sarries are sniffing around Gethin.

Those accountants Sarries are using must be brilliant!

Marquee player signing? That would allow him to slot under the cap quite easily.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:53 am

Yes indeed it would, lets hope he wants to stay near Wales!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:31 am

If Dragons are losing Charteris and Willis they'd be stupid not to approach Geth
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:35 am

munkian wrote:If Dragons are losing Charteris and Willis they'd be stupid not to approach Geth

Why? Gethin isnt a lock or a hooker and they wouldnt be able to match the salary the Blues are offering let alone beat it enough for him to consider him leaving the Blues and moving to Newport.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:58 am

Gethin can play any position he likes, he's a goddamn rugby machine.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2