The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who do you leave out (North, Byrne, Cuthbert or Halfpenny)?

+17
RDW
ChequeredJersey
Comfort
BlueNote
Luckless Pedestrian
Smirnoffpriest
RubyGuby
wales606
Looseheaded
BigTrevsbigmac
Knowsit17
stourjim
Huwball
Cymroglan
ScarletSpiderman
bedfordwelsh
flopspreys
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who do you leave out (North, Byrne, Cuthbert or Halfpenny)? Empty Who do you leave out (North, Byrne, Cuthbert or Halfpenny)?

Post by flopspreys Mon 23 Jan 2012, 3:02 pm

I personally think that Lee Byrne should be 15 vs Ireland. He has the most experience there internationally and is playing well for Clermont at the moment.

Leigh Halfpenny has to be involved as he is in the form of his life at the moment and should really be the Wales first choice kicker.

Alex Cuthbert is very big and very quick and has scored some lovely tries lately and I would have to say is slightly ahead of North in the form book, but North has the experience. Maybe all of them will start with North as a surprise selection at 13, but in all honesty Ireland away is not the place to experiment with positions.

I think Gatland will go with;

15. Byrne
14. Halfpenny
11. North

and Alex Cuthbert on the Bench

flopspreys

Back to top Go down

Who do you leave out (North, Byrne, Cuthbert or Halfpenny)? Empty Re: Who do you leave out (North, Byrne, Cuthbert or Halfpenny)?

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 23 Jan 2012, 3:20 pm

With Byrne seemingly finding some form out in France then yes I guess that will be the back 3 bit I very much doubt Cuthbert will be on the bench more likely someone with a bit more utility to his game.

I would expect to see a bench of:

Ll Williams
Hook
Beck
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Who do you leave out (North, Byrne, Cuthbert or Halfpenny)? Empty Re: Who do you leave out (North, Byrne, Cuthbert or Halfpenny)?

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 23 Jan 2012, 3:44 pm

To be honest I wouldn't start worrying about who to feild yet. This weekend we have picked up some fresh injury concerns and no doubt there will be more out in Poland. So i guess it will be wait and see who is fit in the week leading into the 6Ns.

That said i doubt it will be anything other than North, 1/2p and Byrne, unless Henson or Hook are shoe horned into the fullback shirt.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 23 Jan 2012, 4:44 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

That said i doubt it will be anything other than North, 1/2p and Byrne, unless Henson or Hook are shoe horned into the fullback shirt.

God lets hope not SS, with Byrne finding form, Halpenny in great form I for one hope we have seen the end of lets get Hook on the pitch scenario.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 23 Jan 2012, 5:50 pm

North has not been at his best recently but I hope a spell with the Welsh squad will cure that.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Huwball Mon 23 Jan 2012, 6:47 pm

Bedford

I concur about the Hook scenario! Rolling Eyes

I felt the same when everyone wanted him as 10 - I know the Ospreys managment aren't exactly in favour, but many years ago he was shown as not been suitable as a 10, but many people were banging on about it.

How many instances can people remember where clubs rejected a player at a certain position only for the national coach to discover how brilliant they are in that position?

Huwball

Back to top Go down

Who do you leave out (North, Byrne, Cuthbert or Halfpenny)? Empty Back 3

Post by stourjim Mon 23 Jan 2012, 7:26 pm

I am an exile who rarely misses a televised welsh match. I have been disappointed with the form of North in recent matches when he has been little of the threat he once promised. Cuthbert has scored some great tries recently but he needs centres who will create a run-in for him and seems unlikely to ever match Shane's constructive abilities.

stourjim

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 7:50 pm

Cuthbert hasn't shown a particular abrasive edge to his game yet. Naturally this would be expected given his size and thus far he's shown a decent finishing ability but he's no Doctor Roberts, at least not yet. Nor should he be pressurized by that premature mantle this early in his career, he's still a baby by experience and I still say that first season ought to be seen as too early for any player, despite the North phenomenon.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:40 pm

Did anyone see Clermont v Ulster when Byrne kicked out of the 22 from the left hand side back into the centre of the field but only went about 20 metres it was awful?
I don't think he's in form at all.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:53 pm

Huwball wrote:Bedford

How many instances can people remember where clubs rejected a player at a certain position only for the national coach to discover how brilliant they are in that position?

Jamie Roberts?

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:20 pm

Looseheaded wrote:
Huwball wrote:Bedford

Jamie Roberts?

Leigh Halfpenny?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Huwball Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:38 pm

what poition was 1/2p in Gorseinon? as far as I was aware he's always switched between fullback and wing?

I would go 1/2p fullback
Cuthbert & North wings

I don't think that Cuthbert is that good, but he does seem a bit of a beast and quite fast too. If Hook is to play (which I would prefer he didn't due to him being a Frenchie now Rolling Eyes and please under no circumstances let him be the kicker... we all know what happens to him kicking under pressure Whistle ) then I would put him 12 - where he plays his best rugby.

As dr R is probably out, I'm not sure who we would pick at 13? having a slinky runner with a ball crasher seemed to be a good idea to distract the opposition.

But please mr Gatland, teach the boys how to run angles.... they all seem to drift pass out to the wing who then has no chance to do anything.

Huwball

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:58 am

"I don't think that Cuthbert is that good, but he does seem a bit of a beast and quite fast too."

Make your mind up Huw! He's a young intelligent lad still learning the game. Lacks a bit of game awareness but has all the raw ability to get better. Has a weakness when being kicked to by the opposition but then again he's a big lump who is capable of running it back with interest. Cuthbert and North would be formidable on the wings IMO. 1/2p at FB for me with Byrne starting to show some form. Phillips, Priestland is a no brainer but I would have Webb on the bench instead of Lloyd Williams who I think is a bit over rated. I think Beck should partner JD if the Doc doesn't make it although i think Gats will go with the Scarlets pairing. Hook on the bench for me as he's still not showing much form and the Ireland match will demand abrasive backs who will not shirk their responsibilities. We have to take this game to them again as we did in the RWC.

OK

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 24 Jan 2012, 12:02 pm

I think the same as RubyGuby - if Dr Bob is out then it'll prob be the Scarlets pairing though I'd like to see JD2 and Beck as I think they could be very exciting, and (I can't believe I'm falling into this trap) I'd want Hook on the bench for his versatility, as he gives us options and could cause damage late on in a game. I do have a horrible feeling that Gats is going to put Hook at centre instead of Dr Bob or put an undercooked Henson in.

I think Liam Williams is a good bet for the bench, with Halpenny, North and Byrne as a back 3 - that covers all positions and eventualities with Hook, just means unfortunately no place for Cuthbert until the next match.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 Jan 2012, 12:13 pm

Who would I leave out? Cuthbert. No question.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Tue 24 Jan 2012, 12:54 pm

I would think we'd see Liam Williams in the team ahead of Cuthbert. Cuthbert is very promising but you wouldn't put him in in Dublin. Although his experience level is comparable, I think I'd have more confidence in Liam W not to make mistakes. If Gats is going with a policy of looking forward, he might prefer LW to Lee Byrne.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 24 Jan 2012, 1:11 pm

Blue,

If Byrne doesn't play XV then it has to be Halfpenny, I would rather go to Dublin with an in-experienced Cuthbert on the instead of an in-experienced Williams at XV.

Pretty sure our back 3 will either be:

Halfpenny Byrne North

or

Cuthbert Halfpenny North
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Tue 24 Jan 2012, 1:15 pm

Bedford, if LW did play I would guess it would be on the wing, with 1/2p at FB.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 Jan 2012, 1:19 pm

I disagree with you about Liam Williams. Bedford. He's as brave as any player I've ever seen whereas Cuthbert would be a disaster waiting to happen under the high ball with a swirling wind at Lansdowne Road.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 24 Jan 2012, 1:33 pm

To be honest I wouldn't be that comfortable with any of them playing out in Dublin, Williams had a mare against Munster few weeks back and Cuthbert been hit n miss but took his tries well on the weekend.

If Byrnes on form, which reports suggest he is then it should be ok
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue 24 Jan 2012, 1:39 pm

I will be annoyed if Sc.Williams is picked above Beck (if Roberts is out of course), Becks been the form centre in Wales this season.

My backline would be: (assuming Roberts is out):

9. Phillips
10. Priestland
11. North
12. Beck
13. JD2
14. Cuthbert
15. Halfpenny

bench:
Webb
Hook
Sc. Williams

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 24 Jan 2012, 1:49 pm

People can blame tactics for Ireland's failure to beat Wales in the world cup but in my opinion Ireland lost that match due to the size and power of our backs.
If we can field a similar backline in Dublin I feel the power will be the telling factor again.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 Jan 2012, 1:56 pm

Comfort wrote:I will be annoyed if Sc.Williams is picked above Beck (if Roberts is out of course), Becks been the form centre in Wales this season.

Agreed.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 24 Jan 2012, 2:12 pm

Beck is on form and being 6ft 3 his height and build would be a advantage.
http://www.ospreysrugby.com/squad/index.php?player=85293&includeref=dynamic

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 24 Jan 2012, 3:42 pm

Comfort wrote:I will be annoyed if Sc.Williams is picked above Beck (if Roberts is out of course), Becks been the form centre in Wales this season.

My backline would be: (assuming Roberts is out):

9. Phillips
10. Priestland
11. North
12. Beck
13. JD2
14. Cuthbert
15. Halfpenny

bench:
Webb
Hook
Sc. Williams

Comfort,

If all reports are right then Byrne is in very good form for Clermont at the moment, after the WC I said Halfpenny should be out 1st choice XV but with Shane retiring and Ireland first up I would go with Byrne Halfpenny and North.

That said I trust Gatlands decision and if he goes with the more in-experinced Cuthbert Halfpenny North combo then I will take my hat off to him and hope it pays off.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue 24 Jan 2012, 4:26 pm

Bedford, I've been keeping one eye on Clermount this season, and Byrne has been better this season than the last 2 previous.

But, he still isn't near the form he was showing around 2008/2009. His kicking can still be eratic, he has started coming in to the line nicely again, and his offloading has improved. He's still fearless under the highball and in defence, but he just seems to be missing something that made him the player he was in 2008/2009.

He's definitely finding form again in Clermont, but I would prefer to see a youngster like Cuthbert in getting his chance as he has shown himself to be clinical this season and his supporting lines have been very good.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 24 Jan 2012, 5:38 pm

Agreed on Beck, he's overtaken Sc Williams for now and lies at 3rd choice behind Roberts and Davies. Not much between Williams and Webb for second-choice SH, Lloyd really hasn't been as bad as many make out, it's just that many hate the slightest dip in form nowadays. He had a great game against Racing.

Brew really should be in if Shingler, Liam Williams, Robinson and Henson are getting calls. He'd be one of my 1st choice wings alongside North. Cuthbert shouldn't be starting and Halfpenny should be fullback.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 24 Jan 2012, 6:18 pm

Comfort,

No probs mate we will just agree to dis-agree on this one lol. In all honesty I would be happy with either back 3 line up and just glad we have options.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 24 Jan 2012, 6:22 pm

11. Robinson
14. Cuthbert
15. Williams

Right?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 24 Jan 2012, 7:42 pm

Halfpenny is in my 6 Nations fantasy squad on ESPN so please start him
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 24 Jan 2012, 7:46 pm

Except against England, feel free to play Henson at FB in that match. I hear he's going to dump tackle Manu Tuilagi.

Also, has anyone noticed the number of English number 13s with the initials MT? Tindall, Tait, Tuilagi...
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by flopspreys Tue 24 Jan 2012, 7:54 pm

I think the England backline were behind 9/11 and it was orchestrated by whoever was playing 13 at the time.

Mill Treenwood

flopspreys

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 24 Jan 2012, 9:28 pm

Post removed for breaking the house rules - swearing (even though it was deliberately spelt wrong!)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:51 pm

I think we have to look at the back three as a unit and how we can alter our game plan with replacements. So I wouldnt mind seeing Byrne, Halfpenny and North starting the game off. Byrne is good under the high ball defence and positioning is always good even when is offence lacks bite. At some point you take Byrne off move halfpenny to full back and unleash Cuthbert when the opposition backs are getting tired.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue 24 Jan 2012, 11:11 pm

aye bedford, i wouldn't be necessarily unhappy with either line up in the back 3 haha, all are playing well enough, i just don't quite trust byrne again yet!

still, hopefully the youngsters can push in training to make garland et al really think.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 25 Jan 2012, 10:35 am

Halfpenny is our best FB and wing at the moment, so the question is, who is better, our 2nd choice FB or 3rd choice wing? And which position is it more important to have your best player.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 25 Jan 2012, 11:34 am

Gats will go with

15 - Halfpenny
14 - Cuthbert
11 - North

Whenever he has a conundrum Gats will always go for power and size over anything - Cuthbert has these attributes. Byrne on the bench gives us alternatives. Liam Williams remains something of a liability and although he has potential I think he would be out of his depth in Dublin as he was against Northampton on occasion when he took all the wrong options instead of playing the percentages. Do that in Dublin and you get destroyed. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 25 Jan 2012, 11:39 am

Leave North out, he is overrated.

And heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere comes the backlash. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 25 Jan 2012, 11:41 am

It's pointless backlashing satire - Your comments are of couse complimentary thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 25 Jan 2012, 11:43 am

Ruby, how can you dismiss Liam Williams as 'something of a liability' and then advocate Cuthbert getting his first cap in Dublin?

Honestly, I see Alex Cuthbert as nothing more than a Welsh Nikki Walker.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 25 Jan 2012, 11:47 am

Ah, you caught me out Rubyguby. kiss
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 25 Jan 2012, 11:51 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Ruby, how can you dismiss Liam Williams as 'something of a liability' and then advocate Cuthbert getting his first cap in Dublin?

^2nd Cap

and Cuthbert is nothing like Walker.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 25 Jan 2012, 11:55 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Ruby, how can you dismiss Liam Williams as 'something of a liability' and then advocate Cuthbert getting his first cap in Dublin?

As a winger Cuthbert's role is less exacting than a full back. A wingers role is far less complex than a full backs from a positioning and decision making point of view - Cuthbert in attack is fine, he has a few defensive weaknesses such as receiving a high ball over his head and his kicking is not the greatest. Liam is a more complete player to some extent but pretty lightweight in the contact area. His decision making versus Northampton was dreadful and he got caught and turned over easily whilst trying to run everything back at Northampton, Cuthbert will not get caught out so easily. If Liam just played the percentages I wouldn't mind so much but for me he remains naive on the field, he will learn from experience. At 6 ft 5ins and 16 1/2 stone Cuthbert gives us a number of options in attack. If it was between these 2 then it's Cuthbert for me but I'm happy to disagree here - Conversley if Stoddard comes back and returns to his previous form both our arguments remain moot points - Come on Walessssssssssssss thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 25 Jan 2012, 11:56 am

Sorry, second cap.

Okay then, what does Cuthbert have to his game that Nikki Walker doesn't?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 25 Jan 2012, 12:08 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Sorry, second cap.

For starter, 4/7 of the Blues HC tries this season and 2nd highest try scorer in the Pro12 - In a team that isnt scoring tries.

If you talking about his game, then he is nothing like Walker - the only comparison is that both are big player and not great under the high ball - in which case, what does Cuthbert have to his game that North doesnt?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 25 Jan 2012, 12:10 pm

Not to mention its his first season of professional rugby at he is only 21 so has a lot of time to develop - he is already improving his positioning every game - compared to Walker who is 29
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 25 Jan 2012, 12:10 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Sorry, second cap.

He scores trys and he is intelligent and welsh, how rare is that combination on the field? He's part of the new breed of welsh player and for his first season is doing more than ok and looks threatening every time he gets the ball. Look there he goes again Run

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 25 Jan 2012, 12:13 pm

I don't believe the hype, sorry. But if he proves me wrong in the Six Nations, I won't mind in the slightest!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by overlordofthewest Wed 25 Jan 2012, 12:16 pm

I haven't see much of Byrne this season. I haven't seen him hit any kind of form since 2008 either. If he has found some form in France and he's a better option than halfpenny then play him. Id have to go with North and Halfpenny on the wings though. If Byrne doesn't play Id go with Halfpenny at 15 with the wings being North and L Williams. I have more faith in Williams defence, high ball collection and strength than Cuthbert. I know he's a big lad but with the backs probably being Phillips, Priestland, Beck, JD2&North. We don't really need another lumper.

overlordofthewest

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 25 Jan 2012, 12:23 pm

I don't think there is any "hype" around Cuthbert, he's a bit of a Ronseal and has just done what it sais on the tin. Liam is a talented player but for me we are yet again romanticising about him in typical welsh wizadry fashion instead of looking at the harsh realities - There's actually more "hype" around Liam. What do the facts/stats tell us about both these players and their recent achievements? And let's not forget, he plays in a scinitillating back line compared to the porridge the Blues serve up:thumbsup:

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next