The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? #3

+17
deeznu
daraghj82
socal1976
bogbrush
HarpoMars
Tenez
GarthMarenghi
hawkeye
ChequeredJersey
break_in_the_fifth
bsando
Demon Racer
gboycottnut
barrystar
legendkillar
Chydremion
luciusmann
21 posters

Go down

Who will win, Djokovic or Nadal?

Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? #3 Vote_lcap6%Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? #3 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? #3 Vote_lcap32%Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? #3 Vote_rcap 32% 
[ 10 ]
Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? #3 Vote_lcap19%Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? #3 Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 6 ]
Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? #3 Vote_lcap3%Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? #3 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? #3 Vote_lcap29%Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? #3 Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 9 ]
Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? #3 Vote_lcap10%Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? #3 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 31

Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? #3 Empty Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? #3

Post by luciusmann Thu 26 Jan 2012, 4:07 pm

I know the Djokovic and Murray match hasn't even been played (so I could get egg on my face) but after successfully getting the final participants right @ Wimbledon 2011 and getting the winner right too, I thought it's a good idea to get the debate started about this final. Whether we need a debate after Nadal's 6 losses in a row last year is questionable but we should not detract from the fact Rafa played well against Fed.

Perhaps this means Nadal might push the match to 5 sets?

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? #3 Empty Re: Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? #3

Post by Chydremion Thu 26 Jan 2012, 4:13 pm

Djokovic in four. This match(up) has completely the same dynamics as the Federer-Nadal semi, but with Nadal on the wrong side this time, so a similar result.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? #3 Empty Re: Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? #3

Post by legendkillar Thu 26 Jan 2012, 5:28 pm

Murray in 4.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Thu 26 Jan 2012, 5:37 pm

Funnily enough, I will actually make the effort to watch the entire Djokovic Murray match tomorrow because I think that might be remotely competitive. Can't say I was convinced that the Fedal match was going to be that, hence why I made plans on Sunday morning (full well knowing Fed wouldn't be there and also didn't watch the first half of the first set knowing it would be just like the first set @ the French Open final 2011, as it was, except Fed managed to recover whereas @ the French he didn't)!

I got to admit, the Murray-Djokovic match is a curious one, when was the last time the two met in a grand slam match? It's been quite some time I bet.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 26 Jan 2012, 5:46 pm

luciusmann wrote:
I got to admit, the Murray-Djokovic match is a curious one, when was the last time the two met in a grand slam match? It's been quite some time I bet.

They've only met once, but it's only been a year. It's hardly surprising their matches against one another have been relatively sparse since they found their tennis feet during the duopoly when they were pretty much always on opposite sides of the draw from 2008 onwards.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Thu 26 Jan 2012, 5:52 pm

Murray will beat Djokovic in 3 sets, and then take that momentum into the final where he will thrash the moonballing Spaniard in another 3 sets to win his first ever Grand Slam Title.

In fact, I really believe that Murray has a golden chance this year of getting the all-elusive Calender Grand Slam not won by any tennis pro since Rod Laver in 1969.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Thu 26 Jan 2012, 6:19 pm

gboycottnut wrote:Murray will beat Djokovic in 3 sets, and then take that momentum into the final where he will thrash the moonballing Spaniard in another 3 sets to win his first ever Grand Slam Title.

In fact, I really believe that Murray has a golden chance this year of getting the all-elusive Calender Grand Slam not won by any tennis pro since Rod Laver in 1969.
Comedy like this makes my day.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Thu 26 Jan 2012, 9:41 pm

I'm surprised that until the 10th vote cast Nadal was leading in this poll.

Reminds me of the Wimbledon poll thread where Nadal led comfortably (55% to 45%) and did so even when Djokovic won his match against Tsonga.

I think the idea Murray wins the calendar grand slam is a bit unlikely, let the chap win one slam, let alone all four this year!

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 27 Jan 2012, 12:50 am

Murray in 5 sets Wink

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:51 pm

Now we got Djokovic confirmed in the final, who do we think will win?

Sorry to those who wanted Murray there....he came close, closer than Rafa to beating Djokovic on the slams so that's an achievement in itself.

Does our forum really believe Nadal is going to win?

Do people forget that USO semi and final that fast? Federer took Djokovic to 5 sets and the final set result was exactly the same as today. Many thought Djokovic might be spent physically, having had a long match but he came back strong and beat Nadal. Let's not also forget that Djokovic is going to get the same amount of time to rest as @ the USO.

It is close though, 7 to 8 votes here....

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 27 Jan 2012, 1:56 pm

That US open match was tough... I don't see any reason why Nadal can't win though I voted more with the heart and went for Djokovic.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 27 Jan 2012, 2:02 pm

Hard to call given how hard Djoko was pushed here. I think it'll last the distance regardless of who wins but I can't make that call
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 27 Jan 2012, 2:12 pm

The Poll is tied at 9 all. I expect a close match.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri 27 Jan 2012, 2:17 pm

As close as the USO Final or Wimbledon? Smile I thought Wimbledon wasn't close though....?

I'm expecting a str8 sets victory or....possibly...clean set wins from Djokovic without the need for tie breakers...

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jan 2012, 2:19 pm

It was a bit premature and silly, not to mention, presumptious (sorry Lucius) to post a poll before the completion of both semi's. I wonder how many who voted for Djokovic in 3 or 4 would now favour Nadal in light of what we've seen today?

Djokovic in four

Back to top Go down

Post by GarthMarenghi Fri 27 Jan 2012, 2:22 pm

Djokovic in 3, even after today's semi.

GarthMarenghi

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri 27 Jan 2012, 2:25 pm

Depends on you're perspective....some of us are able to judge more impartially (without allowing the player we like to affect our judgement) more than others! I agree a tad presumptuous of me but after my great success of doing the same thing @ Wimbledon....why not again? Yahoo

I see you gone safe with 4. Shrewd move....I still think Djoko is going to show us something special....underlined by the score line... king

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri 27 Jan 2012, 2:32 pm

Given that it's a slower surface than New York, if they are both in reasonable physical fettle I am expecting an extraordinary repetitive, not to say dull, marathon.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jan 2012, 2:55 pm

Yep it's gonna be survival of the fittest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 27 Jan 2012, 2:57 pm

Djoko in 3...with his left arm.....on one leg of course.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by HarpoMars Fri 27 Jan 2012, 2:59 pm

Voted for Djokovic in 4,
Whats interesting is all this talk about Nadal catching up with Federer's 16, but if Novak wins then he will be closer to catching up with Nadal, than Nadal with Fed.

HarpoMars

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 27 Jan 2012, 3:04 pm

Nadal needs this desperately, for two reasons;

1. In the 3 years since AO '09 he has caught Federer up by ONE Slam. He needs to improve that quickly.

2. If he loses to Djokovic now after that semi, when his game is based on wearing down, he can forget beating him again.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 3:05 pm

Djoko in 4 competitve sets. Novak has won the Aus twice before and this is his third final. He is a better player than Nadal right now and his favorite surface is probably a slow to medium outdoor hardcourt. Nadal has played well but I think this will be his 7th straight loss to novak.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by daraghj82 Fri 27 Jan 2012, 3:07 pm

big game for rafa. djoko looks like he could win at least 2 slams this year. but for the FO semi final defeat to fed (which was a great game ) he could have won the grand slam

daraghj82

Back to top Go down

Post by deeznu Fri 27 Jan 2012, 3:34 pm

Djoko.

deeznu

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 27 Jan 2012, 3:36 pm

Well only fitting that Fed stopped someone else from a grand slam after his near misses.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 27 Jan 2012, 4:11 pm

I tip Djokovic in 4, but wont be surprised if Nadal gets his 11th slam, anything is possible for Rafa.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by deeznu Fri 27 Jan 2012, 5:30 pm

wont be surprised if Nadal gets his 11th slam, anything is possible for Rafa

Not anymore. Nole is a better athlete than Nadal now.

deeznu

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 27 Jan 2012, 5:59 pm

Not anymore. Nole is a better athlete than Nadal now.
Possibly, but if Novak is feeling cramped during the final then he will have to hope Nadal gets nervous..
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri 27 Jan 2012, 11:57 pm

The numbers seem to reflect the more likely outcome now: 16 to 11 votes. So it stands percentage wise:

Djokovic 59%

Nadal 41%

I'm still surprised it's even remotely close, did people see how excellent Djokovic's retrieval skills were in the match with Murray?! That alone is why I'm confident of victory, maybe 3 sets, perhaps 4....(I still think 4).

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Sat 28 Jan 2012, 12:01 am

tbh we need a new poll set up after todays match.
It changes a lot. Much different from US where Nadal played after Djokovic.
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sat 28 Jan 2012, 12:14 am

New poll? Why?

The final participant (Djokovic) is there as I forecast.

What difference is that? In the semi against Fed @ the USO, Djokovic did exactly what he did to Murray today, he held his nerve and went on to beat them both. There's a reason why Djokovic is a level above the rest, and that includes Nadal too. Just like then, Nadal faced a smoother semi final and won both that one and this one in 4 sets. The similarities are more than the differences. Hug

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Sat 28 Jan 2012, 12:19 am

In US Nadal played later than Djokovic- less resting time.
His match (semi vs Murray) was only 30 min shorter but arguably much more gruelling then Djoko-Fed. So physically they were on even terms pretty much in the US Open.

amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sat 28 Jan 2012, 2:05 am

I think that's rather fanciful thinking....Djokovic was physically spent during that USO Final and he still won....sorry to spoil you're hopes but you need to be realistic....of course should Nadal win.....well done...he beat Federer and Djokovic back to back...an incredible achievement!

First....we need some realism in this debate and that debate wouldnt make Nadal a favourite @ all. Commentators may think so but they're arn't known for getting their predictions right all that often.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sun 29 Jan 2012, 6:00 pm

Told you guys!!! Im so happy !!!!

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sun 29 Jan 2012, 6:20 pm

No one got it right.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun 29 Jan 2012, 8:26 pm

I did!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Sun 29 Jan 2012, 8:27 pm

Yes well done Tenez. Voting after the match has finished is brilliant work!
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Jan 2012, 8:36 pm

Of course, I too knew the correct answer to this not so difficult riddle. However, if I were to post everything that I know all speculation on these boards would end. Thus I must display due forbearance; tis all part of the sacrifice that the emancipator must make for the sake of the minions.

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 29 Jan 2012, 8:38 pm

emancipator wrote:Thus I must display due forbearance; tis all part of the sacrifice that the emancipator must make for the sake of the minions.

ghost

emancipator

May I say, it's much appreciated.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Sun 29 Jan 2012, 8:44 pm

Djokovic in 4 was a good prediction though. 5-3 up in the tiebreaker, could have easily ended there and then.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Sun 29 Jan 2012, 8:47 pm

Chydremion wrote:Djokovic in 4 was a good prediction though. 5-3 up in the tiebreaker, could have easily ended there and then.
Yes but he didn't.
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Sun 29 Jan 2012, 8:55 pm

Tennis has so many momentum changes that it can become a bit unpredictable at times. The eventual outcome (winner-loser) is usually far more predictable though.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down