The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So scotland are better than england- YEAH RIGHT

+8
emack2
Geordie
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
nathan
Knowsit17
Scot Abroad
hugehandoff
mystiroakey
12 posters

Go down

So scotland are better than england- YEAH RIGHT Empty So scotland are better than england- YEAH RIGHT

Post by mystiroakey Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:58 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tomfordyce/2012/01/why_scotland_are_better_than_e.html

the most retarded article on BBC i have ever read.

thoughts?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

So scotland are better than england- YEAH RIGHT Empty Re: So scotland are better than england- YEAH RIGHT

Post by mystiroakey Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:01 pm

omg i just realised Italy have scored more tries than scotland in the last 10 years, i did learn something out of the article- unbelivable

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

So scotland are better than england- YEAH RIGHT Empty Re: So scotland are better than england- YEAH RIGHT

Post by hugehandoff Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:05 pm

I quite liked it and even though the stats are crude they do make a basic point - that England should be doing better. With more professional players we should be winning more and this is an important point not to be overlooked. I have read consistently how relegation makes premiership clubs play a negative game. Is this true or just an excuse? If clubs did not fear relegation would they really concentrate on technique and attacking play over results? Surely we just need improved coaching of our premiership clubs to turn things around?

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:10 pm

the overall point is ok, howveer why is he turning it into a war between nations.(i know why- so people will read the blog- its more than crude mind- esp for the BBC)

Why hasntt he included the world cup?

why is he using turnover per win rather than turnover per registered player then per win.

Its an article that invalidates its point due to the ridiculas use and /or ommitance of stats. Stats are only as good as the user.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:42 pm

Looks 100% accurate to me.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:45 pm

the problem with the topic isnt just that is screwed with crazy use of stats, but its seriously patrinising to the scots. Dont tell me you are pleased of the way you play- dont get me wrong us english arnt either.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:50 pm

Clearly a long and laboured-over article answered by a few short mocking phrases plagued by bad grammar. The content is basically heralded in the title Headscratch

Sooooo.....why aren't Scotland better than England, in the terms that Mr Fordyce employs of course?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:09 pm

Scot Abroad wrote:Looks 100% accurate to me.

Well then your either drunk, being silly or just plain stupid.

If England won every game in the last 10 years, they would still only be 3rd!!!!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:26 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:Clearly a long and laboured-over article answered by a few short mocking phrases plagued by bad grammar. The content is basically heralded in the title Headscratch

Sooooo.....why aren't Scotland better than England, in the terms that Mr Fordyce employs of course?

i think you missed the point pal- read the article- its the use of stats that is laughable- we all know that england are not doing enough with its player pool

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:49 pm

mystiroakey wrote:the overall point is ok, howveer why is he turning it into a war between nations?
hmm, at a guess, so that guys like you will respond to it?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:54 pm

i think your right- its also why i titled my thread in the same way- so peops like you would respond

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:00 pm

mystiroakey wrote:i think your right- its also why i titled my thread in the same way- so peops like you would respond

Eh? What's "people like you" ever done to you?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:03 pm

Ah well, there ye go, got me hook, line & thingy. But aren't you missing TF's main point? That England simply squander resources (by almost any way in which you care to measure it)? Stats, damned lies, and all, it is a genuine point imo

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:05 pm

we suck when it comes to the size of talent pool, however the guys use of stats are a total joke

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:08 pm

So more interestingly, strokey, just in case you fancied being positive for a change, what would you do to sort things as Supremo of English Rugby? (a detailed, thoughtful answer wouldn't go amiss!)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:14 pm

not very good at them when it comes to rugby, sorry, golf on the other hand!

however i am eternerly optimistic about the future, the truth is even if we were no.1 in the world we would still get the 'your only that good because of your bigger population and player pool' so the fact is we can never win.

All we have to worry about is improving. The truth is its only about how good you are. How could any team ever compete pound for pound with the all blacks when it comes to population, its all abit cliche in truth and not worth worrying about.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:24 pm

i think its just down not having the right management in place...get someone really good in now and you'll see us get much better....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:56 pm

Before a Ball is kicked THAT is a BIG statement,Scotland at home are a difficult side to beat.England have had some very nasty injury problems for this one,it
is a whole new setup.
Scotland if they have a problem is scoring tries,two years ago they frightened
England by running at them.BUT for injuries to key Scottish Players they would have won rather than just drawing.
These games are always a scrap Scotland enjoy the role of underdogs,usually with a conservative game plan.They can be devilishly hard to beat,Because they
are at home they shoud be favourites.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:07 pm

That game 2 years ago Scotland did a lot of very good things - tackled their hearts out - competed furiously all over the pitch - made England look stupid etc - but they could be playing now and they still wouldnt have scored a try. For all the endeavor they had the cutting edge of a haggis

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:10 pm

The argument that clubs deliberately play badly to avoid relegation strikes me as odd. Newcastle have been pushing this to new extremes this year,yet look like they finally will get the chop.

That aside, the first line of the article is quite honest, the headline is ridiculous and not really what its about. Its just the same old "less resources" moral victors argument. Gatland was trotting this one out all last year to placate the grumpy welsh fans.

Apparently England should be embaressed that they have strong grassroots rugby and a massive non professional game. It seems its a failing we should all be ashamed that we dont just have an artificial professional set up which is on welfare from other Unions and which only a small percentage of the population gives more than passing regard to. Yes everyone in England should hang their heads in shame that they manage to run a profitable Union without leaching.

Yes Scotland are better than England because no-one there cares about rugby.
England, your audience and participation has failed the world.

Bout time they managed to beat Scotland in Murrayfield mind.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:13 pm

lostinwales wrote: - made England look stupid etc -

Im pretty sure England are more than capable of doing that without Scotlands help

lostinwales wrote: For all the endeavor they had the cutting edge of a haggis

Remind me again, how many tries did they score against Wales that year? Whistle

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:13 pm

I wouldnt know I am only exiled in this place - I actually support England

I do like some of the Welsh team but my main interest in them comes in listening to the local radio sports phone in after they loose for the comedy value

Last edited by lostinwales on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : something needed adding)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:56 pm

Complaining that Tom Fordyce's writing is limited and a bit annoying isn't too far away from complaining that 101 Dalmations has got a lot of dogs in it.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:59 pm

I actually enjoy a lot of the articles he has written - just not this one

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:08 pm

tongue in cheek article. no need to take it seriously...

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:39 pm

tongue in cheek article- really?

more like he isnt getting the required hits to get his bonus- so here comes sensationalist tabloid style journalism based on little facts to reel people in(the scottish to make them feel better, the english that like to think we are rubbish and need to find excuses, the english that get wound up with articles slagging us off, inetelegent people that actually understand how to 'use' stats,the rest of the world that love to read about how england going through the mill!

put england in a title in a derogative way and guess what you get views- from all sides.

anyway fair play- its his job at the end of the day, and i am sure it has had the deserved effect!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down