The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour: Omega Dubai Desert Classic

+15
puligny
navyblueshorts
Skydriver
Shotrock
dynamark
twoeightnine
Fader
McLaren
ScottieD18
pedro
NedB-H
EmmDee57
kwinigolfer
Sand
princedracula
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

European Tour: Omega Dubai Desert Classic - Page 2 Empty European Tour: Omega Dubai Desert Classic

Post by princedracula Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:45 am

First topic message reminder :

As we know, the last part of the desert swing takes place in Dubai this week.
Backing Rory to win this week, but there are some sizzling rounds on the way already especially the one from Cabrerra-Bello, who is currently 9-under after 11 holes!!! Unquestionably an early 59-watch is in place there (or indeed a slump now that I just mentioned him). Thomas Bjorn continuing to play very well and I really hope Colsaerts gets a result to put him through to the Match Play. Luiten and Noren are also in that chase and having decent starts....

princedracula

Back to top Go down

European Tour: Omega Dubai Desert Classic - Page 2 Empty Re: European Tour: Omega Dubai Desert Classic

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Don't know what went on earlier in his round, but Lee played his last six holes very conservatively, tentatively really. Essentially bogey, bogey on 17 and 18.
But kudos to R C-B . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

European Tour: Omega Dubai Desert Classic - Page 2 Empty Re: European Tour: Omega Dubai Desert Classic

Post by GPB Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:11 pm

(Very) Unofficial and Back of the Envelope OWGR Numbers:

RCB = 2.322 (passed Manassero)
Colsearts = 2.188 (passed Els)
Coatzee = 2.149 (passed Allenby and still behind Els)

Based on these numbers and barring any miracles at PB, RCB is definitely in the MatchPlay.

Colsearts looks to be the bubble boy right now. His fate depends on Ryan Moore, VJ Singh and Padraig Harrington. Paddy needs to win.

I assuming Na is going to secure his spot in the Match Play since he is T4 right now.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:14 pm

Westwood again fails in a tight finish. Most of his wins are by a clear margin.
There are a lot of similarities in that respect with McIlroy...............................

Congrats to RCB, took the course on and fair play......................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:22 pm

I think Ryan Moore needs a solo 10th or better to pass Colsearts and VJ Singh needs a solo 3rd or better to pass Colsearts.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:38 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Don't know what went on earlier in his round, but Lee played his last six holes very conservatively, tentatively really. Essentially bogey, bogey on 17 and 18.
But kudos to R C-B . . . . . .
Don't agree. Hardly any of the leading playes made a birdie on the last 5 holes. 17 and 18 played difficult today, at even par or above. 18 played at 5.12, 17 at 3.99. LW had a 10 ft birdie putt at 17 I think and went for 18 in two - but had a bad chip from the rough. So I think he did what he could. But to a certain degree it was still LW in a nutshell.

Well done RCB. He was remarkably cool along the way.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:06 pm

pedro,
My thought was this: On 17 he knew he had to make a birdie, could go for the green virtually with impunity. But he laid up.
Then, after understandably yanking his second on 18 after a perfect drive, he chipped like an 18-handicapper.

His putts on 13 - 16 all looked as if they would have gone in with another 18 inches of pace; he's got to believe in himself a little more I would think.

Nothing taken away from R C-B, super performance.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:24 pm

Great to see RCB finally closing the deal here, it's been a long wait since his first win in 2009 in Austria. Very promissing performances from Gallacher and Siem. Glad at least that McIlroy didn't totally spoil those stats I mentioned the other day...

And moving away a bit from the boys, have to say I'm really happy to see Petr Korda's daughter, Jessica winning her first big tournament in Australia. A teenager still but obviously a potential future star of the ladies' golf.
She was saying the other day that her dad went as far as no. 2 in the world and kept saying to him for a while that she wants to beat that...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:39 pm

The win puts RCB in the matchplay in two weeks.

RCB is listed in the Avantha Masters next week. I would guess that he will WD because it is long way from India to Tucson. And Tucson starts on Wednesday.

IIRC Thongchai Jaidee played at the Avantha Masters and then Matchplay either last year or two years ago.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:37 pm

Westwood should have won that today. His putting is pretty dreadful and wish Ewan Murray would criticise him a bit more for it. If that was anyone else he would have been on his back constantly.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave The Jackal Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:57 am

Sand wrote:Westwood should have won that today. His putting is pretty dreadful and wish Ewan Murray would criticise him a bit more for it. If that was anyone else he would have been on his back constantly.

Spot on. I've a lot of time for Lee, but I've said repeatedly on here that his putting (& chipping) are pretty woeful at times for a top player. Tee to green he was better than anybody (yet again) yesterday, but never really looked like holing anything (apart from his early raker from off the green for eagle). If I had to pick somebody to hole a life or death putt from 6-10 feet, then LW wouldn't be in my top 50! The chip on 18 was an absolute shocker ... and to then leave the putt SHORT?!!! Putting-wise, I think he'd at least look like holing more if he didn't freeze for so long over the ball at address. He consistently misses the hole completely from fairly short range, which isn't good at that level. Proves how good the rest of his game is though, to still be No2 in the world WITHOUT a great short game.

PS - What on earth happened to Rory between rounds 1&2 and the weekend?!

Dave The Jackal

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:17 pm

I wish Westwood could putt. I love watching him play and following him on tv and hopefully this year live at a couple of events as tee to green his is outstanding. However his putting rarely even threatens the hole, his chipping based on Sunday was no better than an average club player who never gets chance to practice.

Seemed very hurried and rushed, but then to not even hit the hole or get the ball past the hole on the return was shocking.

Glad to see someone like RCB as the victor though despite Westwoods lack of closing ability. Seems like a genuine guy and his course management won him the day unlike Westwoods, would've thought knowing he needed birdie he would have gone for the green at 17th

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2