The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dan Parks by John Beattie

+8
Tattie Scones RRN
RDW
Biltong
flyhalffactory
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
ChequeredJersey
TJ1
Driver
12 posters

Go down

Dan Parks by John Beattie Empty Dan Parks by John Beattie

Post by Driver Thu 09 Feb 2012, 12:17 pm

THIS IS TAKEN FROM JOHN BEATTIE'S BLOG ON BBC SPORT

Dan Parks by John Beattie Dan-parks-007

Ach, the retirement of Dan Parks leaves me with a strange feeling in my guts. It's not the finest moment in the history of our game nor in our relationship with our players.

As a journalist and a fan I feel tarnished by this in a way I find hard to explain.

I think he retired after the World Cup but was persuaded to come back to help Scotland in this Six Nations as Ruaridh Jackson was injured and neither Greig Laidlaw nor Duncan Weir were deemed ready.

Dan Parks by John Beattie AndyRobinsonIre10SB

And then with one charged down kick - which I am on record as saying wasn't his fault because it was a crazy exit strategy and his team mates didn't help him - England scored the only try of the game.
And he got most of the blame.

He is, I am told, a great bloke and he told his team mates he was leaving in a tear-filled speech.

If I am totally honest I suspect that even Dan Parks knew during his time in a blue jersey that he had limitations, but then so have we all and in all walks of life.

But, because he was of Australian descent, I think Dan Parks has always been a more fragile target than he might otherwise had been.

I know that might be an unacceptable thing to say, but just as in the treatment of Matt Williams, the Aussie who coached Scotland, the target was always easier because, probably, the target wasn't going to stay in Scotland.

A stand-off handles the ball as much as anyone, Parks was the goal-kicker and drop-kicker too.

He never looked like the hardest tackling player in the business. Dan Parks, in short, was high profile.

I watched him single-handedly win games for Glasgow. I watched him win games for Scotland - remember that last minute touchline penalty in Dublin?

And I've watched him pat what appeared to be the bottom of every team mate during games. He has an extraordinary mind, honed from memorising car number plates as a wee boy.

How to end this?

I feel that a player who wanted to retire and get away from the (only sometimes) negative attention then found himself invited back into the squad, parachuted into the team for the first Six Nations, and then subject to criticism when the team lost with him in the starting fifteen.

We'll find out very soon whether he knew he had been dropped or whether the bad press became too much... and my suspicion is that it was the former.

Two things come to mind: the first is that he has been a superb servant to Scotland who won games for Glasgow and Scotland with some extraordinary play, usually involving a precision kick of one type or another.

The second is that all things must pass and a new man will play in the Number 10 jersey.

Whatever, I can't help but feeling that of all the players Scotland has ever fielded, Dan Parks is the one player who has had more unwarranted criticism than any other.

I don't feel very proud.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Dan Parks by John Beattie Empty Re: Dan Parks by John Beattie

Post by TJ1 Thu 09 Feb 2012, 12:56 pm

I don't agree but its a good piece.

Robinson also has a interview in the guardian which sheds some light and shows how poor Robinson behaviour is.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/feb/08/scotland-dan-parks-six-nations

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 09 Feb 2012, 12:59 pm

That is absolutely disgraceful behaviour from Robinson then
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:03 pm

"So Dan, you're thinking of retiring - well I've no imagination when it comes to selection, so would you mind sticking around for a couple of games?"

"Sure, Andy, no problem"

"Actually, Dan can I have a wee word? I've changed my mind, but thanks for coming"

mad

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:17 pm

TJ

What dont you agree about it?......... that he never won MOM performancesin the past, he never won matches for us in the past?, or / and are you saying that it was Parks fault that we lost on the weekend?...... AR has been forced into this as much by the Scottish public outcry as by Parks very average performance

There is nothing in that Guardian article to suggest that AR disagreed that Parks has not been a good servant (and won a multitude of MOM performances in the past)

DP has his limitations yes, but he has given 100% always and hence with all his limitations that has won MOM awards over the years speaks volumes about the man, which is more than I can say for many a fellow players around him over the years.

I can say he was a good footballer playing in some very limited Scottish sides over the last 6-7 years

Some posters on here have very short or even worse very selective memories, some of the comments have quite shameful not in the abusive tone but in the selective way they have singled him out

Finally the conduct of the man has been exemplary......... and alot of people on here have been less than..

Leaves a bad taste in your mouth
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:20 pm

Like I said on another thread, the scrumhalf took a step before he passed to Parks, the blame is also his, as top scrumhalves should not be stepping to make a pass that deep into your own 22.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:21 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:TJ

What dont you agree about it?......... that he never won MOM performancesin the past, he never won matches for us in the past?, or / and are you saying that it was Parks fault that we lost on the weekend?...... AR has been forced into this as much by the Scottish public outcry as by Parks very average performance

There is nothing in that Guardian article to suggest that AR disagreed that Parks has not been a good servant (and won a multitude of MOM performances in the past)

DP has his limitations yes, but he has given 100% always and hence with all his limitations that has won MOM awards over the years speaks volumes about the man, which is more than I can say for many a fellow players around him over the years.

I can say he was a good footballer playing in some very limited Scottish sides over the last 6-7 years

Some posters on here have very short or even worse very selective memories, some of the comments have quite shameful not in the abusive tone but in the selective way they have singled him out

Finally the conduct of the man has been exemplary......... and alot of people on here have been less than..

Seriously, fhf? Do you honestly think Robinson would be swayed by public outcry in chatrooms and forums and the like? The medjia(!) weren't even that voracious, I thought?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:43 pm

Agree with all except the highlighted part. Really leaves a bad taste in my mouth all of this!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:53 pm

Parks has single handedly won us some very good matches before there's no doubt and I don't think everyone is directing their frustration at him as some posters insinuate.

He was at fault for the try on Saturday even if the ball should have been cleared 1 or 2 phases beforehand. He kicked the ball end of. When I played FB at school level, I was always taught to kick high when inside your own 22 to nulify any chance of a charge down. This is basic stuff and he has the experience to know that you get next to no time at all to clear.

However, the blame lies squarely at Robinson's door for not realising we have at least three FH's better than Parks and this is a fact most, if not all, posters here realise too.

And for idiot's like Beattie Snr (and he is a class 1 numpty for saying this in public) to state that Scottish fans didn't like Parks due to his accent - well, he's gone way down in my estimation for that. Same goes with Matt Williams - nobody liked him because he was crap as head coach, not because he was Australian.

Anyway, Parks has gone, time to move on. Starting with Sunday.

I really hope Laidlaw GIRFU the Welsh and gives us some much craved success.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:59 pm

biltongbek wrote:Like I said on another thread, the scrumhalf took a step before he passed to Parks, the blame is also his, as top scrumhalves should not be stepping to make a pass that deep into your own 22.

Mate
There are fellow posters who would watch that a 1000 times and still see that it was singlehandedly DPs fault........... its in their nature
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:13 pm

the post by aslongas is what I mean by Robinsons disgraceful behavour.

Like it or not Parks was responsible for alot that went wrong with the game. Not his fault he was selected of course but he is unable to release the backs outside of him and is very easy to dfened against.

Flyhalffactory - I really don't know how you can defend him he is an honest player and tried his best but once again showed his limitations and his brittle psyche.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:27 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
biltongbek wrote:Like I said on another thread, the scrumhalf took a step before he passed to Parks, the blame is also his, as top scrumhalves should not be stepping to make a pass that deep into your own 22.

Mate
There are fellow posters who would watch that a 1000 times and still see that it was singlehandedly DPs fault........... its in their nature
Yeah we have a saying in Afrikaans " as jy n' stok soek om n' hond mee te slaan sal jy hom kry."

It basically means. " if you are looking for a reason to hang someone, and you look hard enough, you will eventually find it."
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:31 pm

Just a little reminder of a november day in the autumn of 2010 at Murrayfield.

Scotland 21 - South Africa 17.

Dan Parks 6 penalties, 1 dropgoal.

South Africa 1 try, 4 penalties.

Wonder how many remember that day?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:38 pm

TJ

Not defending ............never have defended him
His limitations didnt knock the ball on, lose the ball in the contact area, a poor front 5 display as you might wish to see, an O/C who didnt make one serious threat with five attempts with ball in hand and space

We lost the game simply....... because
*we lost the ball in contact many many times,
*we got turned over on numerous occasions,
*we knocked the ball on so many times it was untrue,
*the front 5 didnt perform,
*we mis-passed the ball from midfield,
*we butchered three passes particularly the 3 on 1 with only the FB to beat
* our 9 was his usually two-step slowness
* our 10 had a mare

NOTE:........... I havent mentioned any players ,,,,,,,,,,, because of NONE of them singlehanded LOST the game for us

Brittle psyche !!...... are you mad?, just look back (past games) at some of his kicks that was req's to get over to win us the game or pull us back in, he might play with a frown on his face but that doesnt mean he hasn't an inner strength

I always wanted Dan to retire last season , and I wanted my men to start last week and I am disappointed that Cussie is starting this week, but I can see where AR was coming from last week........... we had newish combos all through the backs............. FB rorry just back from long injury, Jones brand new, and a newish midfield pairing, so to play Greig from the start might have been too much a risk

Last edited by flyhalffactory on Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:40 pm

biltongbek wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

Mate
Yeah we have a saying in Afrikaans " as jy n' stok soek om n' hond mee te slaan sal jy hom kry."

It basically means. " if you are looking for a reason to hang someone, and you look hard enough, you will eventually find it."

Yes we have a saying down in down in the 'burgh
"Say it often enough and it will become FACT"
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:54 pm

biltongbek wrote:Just a little reminder of a november day in the autumn of 2010 at Murrayfield.

biltong, beware selective statistics, my friend, or else I'll have to go trawling for myriad others that would prove the reverse! No question that wasn't a good day, much like the game against Australia the previous autumn. Sadly they are too infrequent OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:57 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
biltongbek wrote:Just a little reminder of a november day in the autumn of 2010 at Murrayfield.

biltong, beware selective statistics, my friend, or else I'll have to go trawling for myriad others that would prove the reverse! No question that wasn't a good day, much like the game against Australia the previous autumn. Sadly they are too infrequent OK
The only point I am trying to make my friend, is that Dan Parks in his 60 odd test career was as important to the teams cause as anyone else. The fact that his career has come to an end the way it did is sad. He was perhaps never the best flyhalf in world rugby and perhaps in the last few years not the best in Scotland, but he served his country proud and deseerved a more respectable end to his career.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:59 pm

Not defending ............never have defended him
His limitations didnt knock the ball on, lose the ball in the contact area, a poor front 5 display as you might wish to see, an O/C who didnt make one serious threat with five attempts with ball in hand and space

We lost the game simply....... because
*we lost the ball in contact many many times,
*we got turned over on numerous occasions,
*we knocked the ball on so many times it was untrue, (isn't this the same point as your first two? The official match stats actually show that both teams turned the ball over 16 times - of these, at least 6 were from wayward DP kicks)
*the front 5 didnt perform, (not great in the scrum, but dominant in the lineout, and mostly carried well, the two props aside)
*we mis-passed the ball from midfield, (or rather we hardly passed the ball at all! S Lamont: 0 kicks/1 pass/14 runs)
*we butchered three passes particularly the 3 on 1 with only the FB to beat
* our 9 was his usually two-step slowness
* our 10 had a mare

NOTE:........... I havent mentioned any players ,,,,,,,,,,, because of NONE of them singlehanded LOST the game for us

Brittle psyche !!...... are you mad?, just look back (past games) at some of his kicks that was req's to get over to win us the game or pull us back in, he might play with a frown on his face but that doesnt mean he hasn't an inner strength

I always wanted Dan to retire last season , and I wanted my men to start last week and I am disappointed that Cussie is starting this week, but I can see where AR was coming from last week........... we had newish combos all through the backs............. FB rorry just back from long injury, Jones brand new, and a newish midfield pairing, so to play Greig from the start might have been too much a risk
Comments in green above OK

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:02 pm

biltongbek wrote:

The only point I am trying to make my friend, is that Dan Parks in his 60 odd test career was as important to the teams cause as anyone else. The fact that his career has come to an end the way it did is sad. He was perhaps never the best flyhalf in world rugby and perhaps in the last few years not the best in Scotland, but he served his country proud and deserved a more respectable end to his career.
biltong, as a 10, arguably he was always going to be one of the most important players in the team, couldn't agree more. And certainly not his fault that he was the best of a less than stellar bunch, nor his fault that he was selected sometimes when he shouldn't have been, but let's not try to disguise his limitations cos of some collective guilt feeling over the manner of his international retirement?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:04 pm

biltongbek wrote:

The only point I am trying to make my friend, is that Dan Parks in his 60 odd test career was as important to the teams cause as anyone else. The fact that his career has come to an end the way it did is sad. He was perhaps never the best flyhalf in world rugby and perhaps in the last few years not the best in Scotland, but he served his country proud and deserved a more respectable end to his career.
biltong, as a 10, arguably he was always going to be one of the most important players in the team, couldn't agree more. And certainly not his fault that he was the best of a less than stellar bunch, nor his fault that he was selected sometimes when he shouldn't have been, but let's not try to disguise his limitations cos of some collective guilt feeling over the manner of his international retirement?

I am a neutral mate, no guilt this side. I just read a lot of comments over the past week of which some were very one eyed and unfair to the man. It is really all about respect, isn't it.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:07 pm

biltongbek wrote:I am a neutral mate, no guilt this side. I just read a lot of comments over the past week of which some were very one eyed and unfair to the man. It is really all about respect, isn't it.
You'll always get some fairly wild comments about players, i think that's just the nature of professional sport? It is about respect, but as I've said elsewhere, it is ok to separate respect for DP the man and DP the player - again, that's life as a professional sportsman/performer/etc.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:14 pm

Dan Parks by John Beattie 3933776953 Well, as a neutral, I guess this is where I will step away and leave it for the Scottish fans to continue.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:17 pm

Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:51 pm

biltongbek wrote:I am a neutral mate, no guilt this side. I just read a lot of comments over the past week of which some were very one eyed and unfair to the man. It is really all about respect, isn't it.
You'll always get some fairly wild comments about players, i think that's just the nature of professional sport? It is about respect, but as I've said elsewhere, it is ok to separate respect for DP the man and DP the player - again, that's life as a professional sportsman/performer/etc.

AsLongAs

I would say a trawl thro the stats would be revealing indeed............ and I can bet you a penny to a pound that he had more good games than bad. To state that you are "seperating the respect" is by nature insinuating that you dont agree that he was a good player even tho the match facts over the yrs e.g. 6Ns 2010 3 MOMs out of 4 games, that means not just best Scot but best player on the park, and many MOMs for Glasgow along the way.

Your opinion (its a forum site after all) is valid, but I cannae see how anybody who has watched Scottish rugby during his tenure can state (for all his limitations) that he wasnt a good or even our best player and then watch his MOMs over the years.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 09 Feb 2012, 4:24 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:AsLongAs

I would say a trawl thro the stats would be revealing indeed............ and I can bet you a penny to a pound that he had more good games than bad. To state that you are "seperating the respect" is by nature insinuating that you dont agree that he was a good player even tho the match facts over the yrs e.g. 6Ns 2010 3 MOMs out of 4 games, that means not just best Scot but best player on the park, and many MOMs for Glasgow along the way.

Your opinion (its a forum site after all) is valid, but I cannae see how anybody who has watched Scottish rugby during his tenure can state (for all his limitations) that he wasnt a good or even our best player and then watch his MOMs over the years.
fhf, you're right, i don't think he was a good player. No denying that he had some very good games, but they were few and far between to my recollection. As a player, he had a particular strength, and several weaknesses - but we've been thru all of that. He played many good games for Glasgow as well, and as you say, won 3 out 4 MOTMs in the 2010 6Ns (note sure that I would have given all 3, but then again that's just my view). Of those 4 games, we lost to Wales, lost to Italy, drew with England and salvaged avoiding the wooden spoon with a narrow win over Ireland (and what a match that was).

The Wales match was possibly DP's best:

Wales vs Scotland
24 Kicks from hand 33
199 Passes 100
139 Runs 73
536 Metres run with ball 384

His territorial game was to the fore, but again the stats point to his limitations as a player - we kicked more, passed less, ran less, and secured less yardage (and I am not ignoring the fact that we finished with 13 men on the park). DP personally had K/P/R stats of 19/18/2.

The less said about the Italy and England games the better. Against Ireland, DP also won man of the match, but on the day, watching live in CP, the heroes for Scotland were our backrow. You may not agree, which is fine.

DP was also awarded Scotland's Player of the Tournament award at the RWC 2007, something which I could never understand.

Overall, in my opinion, he had more poor games than he did good ones - it's that simple.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 09 Feb 2012, 4:38 pm

AsLongAs

Respect for you brother....... you provide a sound argument, and altho he wasnt that expansive player with a great defence, those loses you declared was more to do with our limitations outside of the flyhalf channel than because of it.

I'll say it again our current forwards have scored 4 tries in 100s of combined caps, and NDL 1 try in 30 matches, Laidlaw and Jones have 4 games now with 0 tries (early days but hey ho)

You could have put Dan (Carter) in our team over the last 6 seasons and he would have looked cr@p

Anyway lets draw a line in the sand here............ and cry freedom on the weekend

Lets hope for a good game............... we are travelling down tomorrow evening COME ON SCOTLAND
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 09 Feb 2012, 5:05 pm

Yesterday I posted that I thought DP was perhaps ill advised to retire after one match of the 6Ns and that seeing the tournament through, even if not selected might have been better.

After reading the comments by Robinson I withdraw that opinion completely. I'm sure DP is an honourable man and what he did must have taken some courage. Robinson on the other hand..........

The sooner Scoltland find a new coach the better.

Looking forward to welcoming fans to Cardiff this weekend. Ale
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Thu 09 Feb 2012, 5:20 pm

Robinson is well within his rights to drop Parks, he is the coach. He asked Parks to come back for two games; he played poorly against England and so he was dropped. Parks ten decided to leave the squad earlier; this isn't Robinson's fault, had he not retired we would have wanted him out the 22 there was no point in him stating so he retired!

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Thu 09 Feb 2012, 5:37 pm

Robinson made a major misjudgement n asking parks to come back then to publicly humilate him? - that piece from robinson is awful

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:06 pm

I wonder theres a lot of guilt on these threads about the treatment of Parks, from fans media and now management.

If it was reported that he was on his way back to Glasgow, would Glasgow and Scottish fans be happy?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:12 pm

Kingshu wrote:If it was reported that he was on his way back to Glasgow, would Glasgow and Scottish fans be happy?

NOOOOOO!!!

Honestly, it's not that he's a bad player, but rather that he would force Glasgow to play in a certain way, as well as stand in the way of the development of Messrs Weir and Jackson.

I'm far happier him doing those things in Cardiff!
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:14 pm

And soon Connacht if the rumours are true?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:19 pm

I don't see the problem. Surely it's worth having Parks as a back up 10 to bring on if you need to tighten up the game? He'd need some confidence back first but a good tactical kicker is a useful tool if it becomes clear and open running game isn't going to work in a given match
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:25 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:I don't see the problem. Surely it's worth having Parks as a back up 10 to bring on if you need to tighten up the game? He'd need some confidence back first but a good tactical kicker is a useful tool if it becomes clear and open running game isn't going to work in a given match
Weir does all of that and more, CJ OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:30 pm

And Nick Evans is our kicker and playmaker but sometimes he gets injured
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:44 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:And Nick Evans is our kicker and playmaker but sometimes he gets injured
Ah, right, I see what you're getting at. We're not there yet, but we've quite a promising group of pivots developing in Laidlaw, Jackson, Weir, Leonard, etc. - hopefully will be plenty of decent cover in years to come in the event of injury

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down