The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I hate Wales

+20
Newsilure
mckay1402
geoff998rugby
mystiroakey
Luckless Pedestrian
offload
HERSH
trebellbobaggins
bedfordwelsh
BlueNote
Biltong
Morgannwg
TycroesOsprey
Geordie
SubsBench
funnyExiledScot
Noble-Surfer
gowales
Shifty
belovedfrosties
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

I hate Wales - Page 2 Empty I hate Wales

Post by belovedfrosties Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

Look at you lot, with all your young players in both the forwards and the backs, playing a fast paced off loading game, makes me sick I tell ya! And your defence, pfft, rushing up like that to stifle the attackers options and often stop them a few metres behind the gain line, abominable!

Okay enough of that, saw quite a lot of good signs from Wales today, which being an englishman is upsetting! Other than your lineout its pretty strong across the board, decent depth in some key positions now, which is what has held you back in the past. Still think there is a lot of over-rating on this North fella, good player but calm it down a bit yeah? Looked dangerous going forward and until Scotland really started going for it seemed very solid in defence, though whether thats due to Scotlands ineptitude in attack is debatable (sorry Scotland fans!).

So whats going to happen 2 weeks from now then? Will England be celebrating a perhaps unexpected win? Or will Wales start to improve on their frankly appalling record at Twickers? Purely on paper and form, Wales should waltz this, but as we all know form goes out the window in this game. I have seen glimpses of how England want to play and if they can keep the ball and play how I think they can they will win by a few points imo. If not its Wales' to lose, unfortunately I don't think England will be able to play at their highest levels for long enough and I can see Wales winning by about 4-7.

Thoughts?

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

I hate Wales - Page 2 Empty Re: I hate Wales

Post by BlueNote Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:31 pm

Sheridan vs Adam Jones has only resulted in one winner in the past, and he wasn't wearing white.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:42 pm

I think Farrell is a + and a -......
Yes he's ice cool, kicks well, and has a big defence, But he has non existant creative skills at the moment and it wont troulbe the welsh.

So ideally its Barritt or Farrell for the 12 shirt.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:01 pm

Am I missing something? I could have sworn Sheridan had retired...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:19 pm

You're right, GF, Wales wouldn't worry too much about a centre pairing of Farrell and Barritt. I don't think that's what we'll see, though.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:25 pm

TycroesOsprey, you talk about 'destructive' scrummaging, and then you talk-up Jenkins and Jones to the detriment of Cole and Corbisiero....doesn't make sense. Everyone knows what Jenkins brings to a team (and don't get me wrong, he's a great player) but it certainly isn't 'destructive scrummaging'. Equally, Adam Jones is basically an immovable object, but I don't recall ever seeing him 'destroy' someone. Cole and Corbisiero are both looking on decent form and frankly I think you're optimistic if you expect any significant advantage to Wales in that area of the game.

Adam

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:34 pm

Sheridan is going to Toulon next season, hence the retirement thing. I doubt very much he'll get a recall into this squad. Mullan I would think will be next in line LH wise.

I liked Wales' game on the whole on the weekend. They soaked up a lot of earnest pressure from the Scots, even though I think the Scots had the majority of possession for the match. There were Welsh weaknesses, and I don't think the scrum and forward play is as strong as some make out, but what Wales looked to me was clinical. That's something I think they have lacked previously, and is a dangerous footnote for any team looking to analyse them.

Some claim this game will be a Welsh walk-over, but we all know what happens when good sides come face to face. England, despite some exceptions in the past have generally always looked average against average teams. When it comes to classier opponents however, they seem to raise their game significantly, and i'd expect the same at Twickers (not a happy hunting ground for Wales).

This would be my starting team to face the Welsh:

1. A Corbisiero
2. D Hartley
3. D Cole
4. C Lawes
5. T Palmer
6. T Croft
7. C Robshaw (c)
8. B Morgan
9. L Dickson
10. C Hodgson
11. D Strettle
12. B Barritt
13. M Tuilagi
14. C Ashton
15. B Foden

16. R Webber 17. M Stevens 18. G Parling 19. P Dowson 20. B Youngs 21. T Flood 22. C Sharples

A couple of things about this selection: 1. It's a touch harsh on Farrell given his excellent kicking and fairly solid defensive display, but I have seen little attacking inspiration from him (something that shows more at FH). He is a quality player, but for me needs to add to his game. Barritt has looked superb in defence, and actually attempted to show something in attack against Italy. He will also pair well with Manu.

2. I did toy with the idea of playing 4. Botha 5. Palmer 6. Lawes for a bit more grunt in the pack, but I like Lawes at lock at the moment,. Again seems harsh on Botha who, whilst unspectacular, has performed well.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:41 pm

Can't really argue with that chjw131

Not too sure about Flood at the moment I think he needs another game. Farrell on the bench instead.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:42 pm

Yes i think you have a point there Hersh. I'd like to see Garvey in the EPS at some point to help back-up the Botha role.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:11 pm

Garvey was great for the Saxons a few weeks back, really looked a class above imo. I would see how flood goes this weekend and if he has a good game i'd have him start with Barritt at 12 and Manu outside him, Farrell on the bench. Harsh on Hodgson but i think we all knew (him included) that he was a stop gap until others had recovered from injury/gained experience.

Wonder what odds you would have got for him being englands only try scorer after 2 games!?

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:23 pm

"
Wonder what odds you would have got for him being englands only try scorer after 2 games!?"

large

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:34 pm

Wish i'd put him in my ESPN team now!

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down