The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JMDP my thoughts on what he has to do

+14
Jeremy_Kyle
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
Mad for Chelsea
JuliusHMarx
sirfredperry
lydian
prostaff85
invisiblecoolers
noleisthebest
Tenez
Chazfazzer
amritia3ee
Josiah Maiestas
socal1976
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

JMDP my thoughts on what he has to do Empty JMDP my thoughts on what he has to do

Post by socal1976 Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:32 pm

Fed seems to have the handle of del po. Juan is big time talent but he is now pretty much getting handled in every big matchup against a top 4 guy. For Juan to reach his proper place he has to find away to turn around his matchup problems with the big 4. Juan hits bigger than anyone when you look at the totality of all his shots, maybe only Sod can match his raw power on a consistent basis. He made minced meat of Berdy in the semis. But for as good as he is, Juan is just being handled too easily by the big 4. What can he do to change it? His A game is great but I think he needs to start adding more to the total package. Obvious area that needs improvement is the variety. If I was Juan, I would really consider working on my non-power game. Slice backhands, feel at net, the lobs, and the drop shots. This is the next move for Juan. In these areas he is inferior to the rest of the big 4 technically. In terms of generating huge serves and groundies he is their equal. To actually win a slam he will have to more completely round out his game both physically, technically, and mentally. Power alone is not enough to get you consistent grandslam successes anymore. That is what I appreciate about the modern game the most.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

JMDP my thoughts on what he has to do Empty Re: JMDP my thoughts on what he has to do

Post by Guest Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:39 pm

His proper place is below the top four.

He is at best a top five player and a dangerous opponent at a slam.

Too much stock is put in his USO victory. That was an exception, an example of a good player with big weapons who was on a hot streak, combined with a below par performance from Federer in the final, that resulted in a slam victory.

Too expect him to develop touch and subtlety is wishful thinking imo. He will never have the movement of the top four and never develop the touch around the net of a Federer or a Murray. Additionally he is likely to struggle in protracted physical encounters; he will never have the engine of a Djokovic or Nadal.

There seems to be some expectation from the general tennis public that Juan will miraculously discover the form of USO 2009. He may do, but most likely only for a few matches at a time. That is not his consistent level, just as FO 2009 is not Soderling's consistent level.

Back to top Go down

JMDP my thoughts on what he has to do Empty Re: JMDP my thoughts on what he has to do

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:10 pm

Too much stock is put in his USO victory. That was an exception, an example of a good player with big weapons who was on a hot streak, combined with a below par performance from Federer in the final, that resulted in a slam victory.
Not an exception. He had Nadal on the ropes only recently on clay in Davis Cup. Please don't put on here some bullsh**. nope
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:13 pm

On the ropes?
He brought Djokovic and Nadal to 4 sets in all the best of 5 matches he played against them. Good, but he couldn't win could he.

Btw great article Social, very enjoyable read thumbsup
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:10 pm

He was 6-1 2-0 up on Nadal... if that isn't on the ropes then i'm an eskimo!! Rolling Eyes
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:21 pm

How does walrus blubber taste JM, I am glad to hear that we have a poster of eskimo heritage.

I disagree with emancipator, of course I doubt he will ever become Edberg at the net but I don't think he needs such drastic improvements in the finesse parts of the game as you seem to. Novak and Nadal guys currently ranked above him are perfect examples of players that have improved weak points in their games to the point where multiple slams are possible. At the start of his career Nadal couldn't crack 110 miles an hour on a serve. Novak was an attrocious volleyer. Now neither of these guys has improved to the point where we would say Novak is one of the best volleyers in the game or Nadal has one of the best serves. But those subtle improvements in areas not considered their strong suits has allowed these two dominate the tour.

To get into slam contention consistently, which I think JMDP has it in him, then he needs to become much more well rounded. It is going to be a big ask to just blow any of the top 4 out with raw power. All 4 of them move so well and have superior variety in their games to JMDP. They can take Juan's best shot and then dish something out to get him on the defensive.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:30 pm

To get into slam contention consistently, which I think JMDP has it in him, then he needs to become much more well rounded.
He already is well rounded. His problem is playing 1 great match then following up with below par effort. As he proved when he smacked Djokovic off court until Djoko started crying and quit in DC.. Rolling Eyes
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:47 pm

I fully agree with Emancipator here. Del Potro simply isn't as good as the top 4. Yes he can hit the ball very hard, but the flaws in his game will be exposed when he comes up against the likes of Federer, and I don't see that changing any time soon. He may win another slam through a combination of playing well and the top 4 having an off day, but he won't beat them on a consistent basis (that is, until age eventually does catch up with Roger).

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:57 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
To get into slam contention consistently, which I think JMDP has it in him, then he needs to become much more well rounded.
He already is well rounded. His problem is playing 1 great match then following up with below par effort. As he proved when he smacked Djokovic off court until Djoko started crying and quit in DC.. Rolling Eyes

JM, what is the head to head between Novak and Juan, what 1 match out of 7 when Djokovic tore his ribs and back in the match? Is that your best shot JM, you buzz like a lion and sting like an ant! Novak minus torn back muscle crushes Juan every time and twice on sunday. On any surface frankly.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:56 pm

emancipator wrote:His proper place is below the top four.

I think he has the firepower to blast the top 4 out of the court...bar maybe Federer who plays faster than the other 3.

I expect Delpo to create upsets again this year....earlier than some may think.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:12 am

Delpo did well to win that slam, and he did it in style.

I questioned his stamina and size a while ago:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A57226836

I loved reading it again and seeing some familiar names Wink

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:59 am

emancipator wrote:His proper place is below the top four.

He is at best a top five player and a dangerous opponent at a slam.

I completely disagree thumbsdown , Del Po has proved enough that he can beat top 4 regularly, he proved win against Fed on USO was no fluke by repeating it in WTF , in the same year he won Rafa 3 times in a row [something Fed would dream off], he bet invicible Djoko last year [however u can claim Djoko was not 100% but neither was Del Boy].

His game against Rafa and Ferrer on Davis cup was awesome, its very unfortunate he didnt win those two encounters otherwsie he would have won the trophy for Argentina. What he need now is some luck against Top 4 players to believe in himself back, which some point of time will happen, and then you will see the real Del Boy effect.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by prostaff85 Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:59 am

If I remember right, Del Potro caused quite some problems for Djokovic and Nadal last year at Roland Garros and Wimbledon respectively. And this was only a few months after his return to the circuit.

Probably in one of the coming hardcourt tournaments (Dubai, Indian Wells, Miami) he won't be in Fed's section of the draw and it will be interesting to see how he does against Djoko, Murray or Rafa!
prostaff85
prostaff85

Back to top Go down

Post by prostaff85 Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:05 am

In fact he was also very close to beating Federer in the Roland Garros semi-final in 2009. With a little more luck, he could have won 2 Slams in 2009!
prostaff85
prostaff85

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:04 am

JM, what is the head to head between Novak and Juan, what 1 match out of 7 when Djokovic tore his ribs and back in the match? Is that your best shot JM, you buzz like a lion and sting like an ant! Novak minus torn back muscle crushes Juan every time and twice on sunday. On any surface frankly.
Erm, if Djokovic was so injured in that match then he wouldn't have made a tiebreaker in the first set. If head to head matters so much then you are saying Davydenko is a better player than Nadal. angel
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:35 am

Yes delpo can cause some upsets but at the end of the day guys above 6'2 don't tend to get to the top of the game stay there. When you look at the open era it's remarkable how nearly all the weeks at #1 are by guys between 5'11 to 6'2. This is the optimum balance of height and enduring movement ability (speed and flexibility), this will always hold back JMDP but he will cause upsets in the meantime no doubt.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:36 pm

Lydian. Just been watching a few clips of the Del Po-Fed final at R'dam. Del Po's movement was not that good and he didn't really seem to have the weight of shot to give Fed a good match.
Yes, he is gradually getting back to where he was in 2009 but I'm not sure just how high he can get. If he can't make the top four soon - or have an outstanding win against the big boys - he'll find it difficult to get the big GS points that he needs to complete his recovery.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:43 pm

Del Potro just wasn't creative enough, he was constantly smacking the ball in Fed's hitting zone. Rog must have felt like he was playing 2011/12 Roddick.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by prostaff85 Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:44 pm

Let's not forget that Del Potro blew Berdych off the court on Saturday, and Berdych has been troubling both Djokovic and Nadal recently.

When Fed is playing this well (like he did against Nadal at the WTF), basically nobody can come close. Unfortunately he can no longer produce this kind of tennis consistently like he did in 2006...
prostaff85
prostaff85

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:43 pm

prostaff85 wrote:Let's not forget that Del Potro blew Berdych off the court on Saturday, and Berdych has been troubling both Djokovic and Nadal recently.

When Fed is playing this well (like he did against Nadal at the WTF), basically nobody can come close. Unfortunately he can no longer produce this kind of tennis consistently like he did in 2006...
Sad
Outdoor hard:
Miami 2004 Nadal wins
Dubai 2006 Nadal wins

Outdoor HC record: 4-1 Nadal

Fed easily beat Del Potro in AO too, just like on Sunday. If not he played even better in the AO QF. He lost to Nadal in the semis straight after. The slam record is now 7-2; Nadal wins most of the matches that count- the slams.
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by prostaff85 Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Federer loses to Nadal because with his single-handed backhand he cannot cope with Rafa's high-bouncing topspin balls.

Del Potro has the opposite problem: he cannot cope well with the low slice balls that Federer is so good at. That's why he usually loses to Fed. I honestly think he would do better against Rafa.

Unfortunately the SHBH is slowly disappearing. It's no coindicence that Federer is the only player with a SHBH in the top 10. And in the top 25 there are only 3 or 4 I believe.

prostaff85
prostaff85

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:27 pm

prostaff85 wrote:Federer loses to Nadal because with his single-handed backhand he cannot cope with Rafa's high-bouncing topspin balls.

Federer loses to Nadal because Federer loses to Nadal.
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:39 pm

lydian wrote:Yes delpo can cause some upsets but at the end of the day guys above 6'2 don't tend to get to the top of the game stay there. When you look at the open era it's remarkable how nearly all the weeks at #1 are by guys between 5'11 to 6'2. This is the optimum balance of height and enduring movement ability (speed and flexibility), this will always hold back JMDP but he will cause upsets in the meantime no doubt.

Interesting note by Lydian. I agree with this in parts but disagree in others. I think Lendl was 6'3 and he held a lot of weeks at number #1. Yes most of the greats have been even smaller when you look at Laver and Rosewal and how neither was over 5 foot 8 or 9. The size of the tennis champion has definetly grown over the years. And as the modern athlete continues to get both faster and bigger while being as agile as the smaller players of the past I think these past size parameters Lydian has laid down are getting bigger and bigger. Stan Smith was bigger than 6'2 and so was Lendl, Edberg, and Becker. Maybe those guys were right at the upper cut off line. But Juan is the biggest player ever to win a slam, and he moves pretty well for a big guy. So does Raonic and a few of the other big men.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:43 pm

Becker is listed as 6'3 on the ATP site. Lendl and Edberg both listed at 6'2

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:44 pm

prostaff85 wrote:Let's not forget that Del Potro blew Berdych off the court on Saturday, and Berdych has been troubling both Djokovic and Nadal recently.

Again, I am happy for Fed winning but I still don't feel like this tells us much about how fed will perform in the bigger events with all the top competition. I mean we all knew Fed is still better than JUan and the rest of the field that is why he is the #1 seeded player. Berdych hasn't exactly plagued Djoko much, unless you mean the loss he handed Novak nearly 2 years ago now at wimbeldon. Since that loss he has pretty much owned Berdy. Del Potro, needs to not stagnate like Berdych. Berdych is a jaw dropping hitter and a very good mover for his large frame, similar to Del Po. But Berdych is playing exactly the same way he was playing and hasn't broadend his game. That is why he has been surpassed by the Murray's and Djoko's and even to an extent by Del Po. Berdy is as bad a volleyer today as he was the day he came onto the tour. Juan needs subtle improvements in his all around game to completment the big power and athleticism he has.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by prostaff85 Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:53 pm

socal1976 wrote:Berdych hasn't exactly plagued Djoko much, unless you mean the loss he handed Novak nearly 2 years ago now at wimbeldon. Since that loss he has pretty much owned Berdy.

In fact I was thinking of the match at the WTF recently when Berdych held match point(s?), choked and lost. Or was that tournament asterisk'ed?
prostaff85
prostaff85

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:02 pm

Well, I think he has handled Berdy at Davis cup and before the USOpen on outdoor hardcourts. Personally, as a Novak fan I don't see berdych as a big danger match with the way he has recently been playing. Tsonga scares me more than Berdych regardless of the ranking. Precisely, because he has more variety and athleticism. Juan needs to work on the variety to get to where I think he wants to go and that is winning slams.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:07 pm

I think socal makes some very decent points. Net play is something that's fairly easy to improve for anyone with a decent hand-eye coordination (which of course all tennis pros have). He'll never have the hands of Murray or Federer, but right now if he moves into the net you basically know if you hit a decent pass you'll at the very least get another shot at it. Similar to Nole's volleying about three or four years ago in fact, or Nadal's when he first came on tour. Both of them worked very hard on their volleys, to the extent that Nadal now has a very good volley, and Nole is more than competent at the net too.

Not entirely sure the slices and dropshots are all that necessary, or indeed if it would be a good idea for Del Potro to start using them.

Another thing I'd like to see Del Potro do is make his backhand more unpredictable. At the moment he uses it mostly as a rallying shot, relying on the big forehand for making the points, hits it about 90% of the time cross-court. I'd like to see him using it up the line a lot more, if nothign else it would keep someone like Federer guessing a bit more, and thus stop him running around his backhand as quickly and as often as he was doing yesterday.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:52 pm

Good points MFC. I am not saying that Del Po needs to become the best volleyer in the world, that simply won't happen. But being able to use it as a variation or another look to give the opposition. As to your point on the up the line backhand could not agree more. He is way too predictable as to going cross court with that shot.

While volleys would be the most important area to work on here is why I think the slice backhand is valuable. Generally, a big attacking player doesn't want to use the slice a lot. But, for Del Po I still think it is important. Why players keep using the low sliced shots to his two hander. And a two hander is more work returning the slice. You have to keep getting down and hitting up on the ball with a two handed backhand for a guy 6/6 over the course of the match it gets exhausting. Plus they use the slice backhand to draw him into net where he is less comfortable. The best way to neutralize a slice backhand, is with another slice backhand. It is much less risk than hitting up on it and it takes less energy as well. Plus the slice backhand is still going to be an important shot for his approaches off that side. To be a good volleyer helps to have a good slice approach off that wing.

Also drop shots and lobs while not hugely important again come into play for variety's sake. They aren't difficult to work and improve on and there are situations that absolutely call for them where nothing else works as well. Del Po has to keep players guessing, not just let them think he is going to hit every ball hard all the time. I think the drop and charge to the net would be an effective play for Del Po against Murray and Nadal when they decide to play 3 meters behind the baseline like they usually do. Again not hugely important but as a top pro you should still have them in your arsenal, the other top 4 guys do.

Last edited by socal1976 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:54 pm

Juan needs to work on the variety to get to where I think he wants to go and that is winning slams.
He has more chance of winning the French than Novak.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:58 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
Juan needs to work on the variety to get to where I think he wants to go and that is winning slams.

Ha, ha, ha, come on JM. You been hitting too much argentinian wine or something it is giving you crazy ideas. Ill take that bet, whoever gets farther I take Djokovic you take Del Po at the french. Any other takers.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:03 pm

socal1976 wrote:
Josiah Maiestas wrote:

Ha, ha, ha, come on JM. You been hitting too much argentinian wine or something it is giving you crazy ideas. Ill take that bet, whoever gets farther I take Djokovic you take Del Po at the french. Any other takers.

You'll have to wait til the 606v2 World Tour rolls into Paris Smile Will I stick to always choosing someone outside the top 4 to win?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:08 pm

I don't wanna live in a world where Nole holds 4 slams at once Sad Roger and Rafa are unreliable and limited ability now...last hope is the Tower of Tandil!

Cool
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:15 pm

Like I said JM, to much of the sauce for you. I think Fed and Nadal both have a better chance of going deep in the FO as well, same as murray. Juan hasn't had a great record against any of those guys in five set matches.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:37 am

socal1976 wrote:
Josiah Maiestas wrote:

I take Del Boy too, and I tip him to beat Rafa in FO if they are suppose to meet in Quarters. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:58 am

OK guys, by all means back your man del Potty. But does anyone SERIOUSLY believe he's gonna beat a fit Djoko or a fit Rafa at the French ?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:13 pm

I am certain he will give Rafa and Nole more headaches in Paris than current form Federer. He could have beaten Nadal in DC on Spanish clay, remember!! Whilst its true he has been destroyed a few times by Federer recently, he does match up better with the top 2 than current Federer.. i'm undecided who would win in a Isner/Del Fonzo slugfest!! Cool
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:24 pm

Don't reckon Isner is gonna do much at the RG either, although full marks for his efforts in Switzerland in the DC. While Rafa will probably not mind too much being paired against Fed at the French, I feel sure Djoko would be far more worried playing Fed than del P, for all your faith in the Argentinian .
But who knows? I could be wrong. That's the fun of it all. Sport sure beats real life !

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:30 pm

I cant see Rafa playing as badly in the early rounds as he did last year at RG. Its not impossible that DP can do a "Soderling" and play the match of his life to blow Rafa off court but its unlikely over 5 sets...Rafa will move him around much more than Federer on clay, and at 6'6 your movement will become as issue (Delpo doesnt have the number of free serve points that Isner gets also).

However, he can run redhot and if that can last 3 sets who knows...he did arguably present Nole with one hell of an headache last year before that rain break and day's suspension came...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:27 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:
socal1976 wrote:
Josiah Maiestas wrote:

I take Del Boy too, and I tip him to beat Rafa in FO if they are suppose to meet in Quarters. JMDP my thoughts on what he has to do 732107

Alright, gentleman I like your loyalty, its on. Lets see what happens at the French, very optimistic predictions out of the Delboy camp. Can't see it happening though. Better hope Juan isn't in Novak's quarter, it will be a quick Novak victory.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:36 pm

socal1976 wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:
socal1976 wrote:
Josiah Maiestas wrote:

I take Del Boy too, and I tip him to beat Rafa in FO if they are suppose to meet in Quarters. JMDP my thoughts on what he has to do 732107
Doh Doh Delusion at it's best. Novak's last year was just a 1 off and can't be repeated in anyway, and you think he has the temerity to defeat a rising phoenix on his worst surface.. chin I look forward to the annual FO collapse of the malfunctioning, gluten free, Egg chamber sleeping, one year wonder. I have Djokovic down as 3rd or 4th fav.

Alright, gentleman I like your loyalty, its on. Lets see what happens at the French, very optimistic predictions out of the Delboy camp. Can't see it happening though. Better hope Juan isn't in Novak's quarter, it will be a quick Novak victory.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:42 pm

JM, we will put you down for Del Po getting further than Djoko and invisible coolers as well. Novak will get his FO, I think this year is the year. How great would it be if he held all 4 slams at once. You guys will have to start calling him Laverovic.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:48 pm

can't see DelPo beating either Nadal or Djokovic at this year's FO myself, sure he may take a set off them, maybe even two, but can't see it happening in a Bo5 match, he'd need to play above his level for too long.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:05 pm

Above what level? Del Potro hasn't even reached his potential yet and already got one slam in his bag. Sure if Del Potro starts holding back and playing like a pusher he won't have a chance but when he uses his power he can easily dethrone both Nadal and Novak because they are very limited in power hitting. Novak lacks power to hit through Lenglen and Chatrier courts, it's same old story.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:37 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Above what level? Del Potro hasn't even reached his potential yet and already got one slam in his bag. Sure if Del Potro starts holding back and playing like a pusher he won't have a chance but when he uses his power he can easily dethrone both Nadal and Novak because they are very limited in power hitting. Novak lacks power to hit through Lenglen and Chatrier courts, it's same old story.

Come on JM Novak beat Del Po at the french last year. I like Juan as much as the next guy, but you really see Del Po as being that close to handling Nadal and Djoko on clay? I don't see it.

As for Novak not being able to hit through please, if he needs to he will hit through Juan like pretty much every other time he has beaten, ok minus the time with a torn muscle in his back that some him get carried off the court. Novak is just a much more complete athlete and tennis player right now. I think Juan will get back to grandslam success and win one in the future. But you are stretching it a bit thin for me in terms of Juan ever being able to consistently beat or dominate Novak in slams. Maybe in a few years when Novak is old and broken down.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:49 am

sirfredperry wrote:OK guys, by all means back your man del Potty. But does anyone SERIOUSLY believe he's gonna beat a fit Djoko or a fit Rafa at the French ?

spf,
If you are so confident about Djo and Nadal's performances at French open, why are you already looking for excuses. Looks like the disease of using injuries/illness/unfit as an excuse is spreading fast. Its only some players who get to use the injury card in their loses as if they get injured because their opponents banged a racquet on their head. If they are injured/ill/unfit, its solely their own thing.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark
raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:14 am

But you are stretching it a bit thin for me in terms of Juan ever being able to consistently beat or dominate Novak in slams.
Maybe not on hard courts, I don't think his game is good enough on hard courts, other than winning USO he's lost to players like Simon and Cilic in slams, but on clay there's not much between him and Nadal, infact the majority of players would rather face Novak on clay than Del Po cause they know what to expect.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:06 am

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:
sirfredperry wrote:OK guys, by all means back your man del Potty. But does anyone SERIOUSLY believe he's gonna beat a fit Djoko or a fit Rafa at the French ?

spf,
If you are so confident about Djo and Nadal's performances at French open, why are you already looking for excuses. Looks like the disease of using injuries/illness/unfit as an excuse is spreading fast. Its only some players who get to use the injury card in their loses as if they get injured because their opponents banged a racquet on their head. If they are injured/ill/unfit, its solely their own thing.

I think he has got at least a chance. He is most likely the toughest match up to Nadal for RG and has already beaten Djokovic in DC last year.
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:35 am

I agree - I really think he has a chance to beat Rafa on clay. It's a very simple question of dynamic. Can Nadal run as fast as Delpo's FH? I seriously doubt.

Now can Delpo run as long as a 3 setter v Rafa? dunno...but if he makes Rafa run (like Djoko does)...the task will get easier as teh match goes on for Delpo.

Versus Djoko it will be tougher!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:10 pm

Tenez wrote:I agree - I really think he has a chance to beat Rafa on clay. It's a very simple question of dynamic. Can Nadal run as fast as Delpo's FH? I seriously doubt.

Now can Delpo run as long as a 3 setter v Rafa? dunno...but if he makes Rafa run (like Djoko does)...the task will get easier as teh match goes on for Delpo.

Versus Djoko it will be tougher!

That already happened during the DC final where Delpo bullied Nadal for a set and a half before being overwhelmed by the crowd and the excessive slowness of the courts prepared ad hoc by the spanish team. The fact remain: Delpo was toying with Nadal for an hour and a half, he could do the same at RG where the conditions are rather faster, i think more suitable to him.
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next