The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JMDP

+4
Haddie-nuff
lydian
bogbrush
TopoftheChops
8 posters

Go down

JMDP Empty JMDP

Post by TopoftheChops Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:57 am

Hi guys,

I was just wanted to write about how pleased I am to see JMDP back into the form he was producing in 2010. The guy has had a torrid time with injuries like his wrist injury but now it looks like he could become a threat again at grand slams. I didn't see his match yesterday but taking Federer to 5 sets suggests that he is moving in the right direction

Do you guys think he will challenge for the grand slams next year because I think it is a bit too soon to give him a chance at winning wimbledon, which isn't his best surface anyway and the US open, which is probably still a bit too soon for him.

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

JMDP Empty Re: JMDP

Post by Guest Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:15 am

Funny enough during his comeback last year, they all said we would see the Delpo of old at the US Open. Again that was too soon.

I think the Clay has helped him massively. Whether the BH can stand up to the rigours of HC post injury is another thing. Especially in the North America season.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:50 am

He's needed back; players have to attack against him because if you let him get the first strike in it can be immense. Makes matches exciting.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 06 Jun 2012, 12:09 pm

Yep, he hits the ball harder than anyone and for 2 sets yesterday he made Federer look very vulnerable...just a shame about that knee. But bodes well for the future.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 06 Jun 2012, 12:19 pm

He was awesome in those first two sets yesterday.. wow can he hit that ball.
Yes shame about that knee he has problems getting to low balls in any event and that knee never helped. How much pain he was in was difficult to gauge but I have always had a question mark over JMDP´s fitness he does seem to run out of steam quite quickly. However I am giving him the benefit on this occasion he has had a long road back and at times need to be reminded that he is a GS winner.. but certainly I am pleased to see him back and improving with every match

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 06 Jun 2012, 12:20 pm

Indeed Haddie.
He shouldnt have played Estoril...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 06 Jun 2012, 12:26 pm

He put a lot into those early sets - some of his side to side work was huge for such a big guy. I saw a few rallies when I thought Federer was in the process of winning them but he kept reaching and hitting hard. Maybe that told on him at the end.

Annoyingly, TSN switched to the other match so I missed the last three sets (!) but I hear Federer gave him a lot more lower balls which he'd not have enjoyed, especially if tired and hurting a knee. Oh well, I'm sorry for him as I really want him back; I thought 201o was going to be his year and I still think only injury prevented that (I heard TMF agrees with me on this). Nice guy too, apart from his dodgy late Hawkeye challenges Smile
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Jun 2012, 12:56 pm

Unfortunately he seems quite injury prone.

If he can keep his body together he's gonna be a major threat at the USO. No one's gonna wanna land in his quarter.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:06 pm

Not sure what to make of JWT. I kept waiting for him to have the BIG WIN in 2011 that would take him right up the rankings. I've been waiting again in 2012.
What's happened? He's continually lost to Fed and also had a damaging defeat against Berych recently (although he got even for that one at RG).
This guy ought to be top five at least but he's having difficulty getting there. He really needs to go deep at the next two Slams. I would like him to as he is an exciting player. At least time is on his side.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:13 pm

Speaking of that, it's June and Federer is 5-0 on Del Potro for the season. There's time for a lot more. I wonder what the record is?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:19 pm

Rare to see Federer being out hit and out agressed and onto the defensive. Happened at RG09 as well.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:32 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Rare to see Federer being out hit and out agressed and onto the defensive. Happened at RG09 as well.
Yeah, but due to fitness or form, del Potty still lost. The sets he got against Fed yesterday were the first he's got off him this season. You'd think if JMDP was gonna be really making his mark he would have had a better record against Rog this season.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:36 pm

Taking nothing away from Fed´s win... but I seriously believe that JMDP was in trouble physically yesterday.. His game just dropped after winning the second set up until then he was playing well but I think whatever the problem is with his knee began to make itself felt. I still think he has done well to come back after such a run of injury

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:36 pm

It goes to prove that guys > 6'5' rarely dominate the tour. Their bodies usually break down as they force the movement needed. 6'4' seems to be the limit for staying at the top it would seem...be interesting to see how Raonic gets on.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 06 Jun 2012, 5:09 pm

Id have like a DP/Nadal final and i'm sure he would have given himself a better account in the final than anyone else incl. Fed/Djok.

Now we'll be left with a script written final should Nadal hold off Ferrer (as he usually does).
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 06 Jun 2012, 5:38 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Rare to see Federer being out hit and out agressed and onto the defensive. Happened at RG09 as well.
Not rare by Del Potro. Bottom line, he's the biggest hitter on the tour, bigger even than Berdy or Tsonga. If you feed the forehand you'd better be ready for something heavy.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 06 Jun 2012, 6:19 pm

JMDP id doing his best to be back on business, its no easy task to be back from injury, being his fan I am so happy with the fight he gave against Fed in FO QF.

He will always be the threat in GS, he is getting unlucky draws to be drawn on Fed side every time, I hope he is on Rafa's draw for the USO 2012, I wont be surprised if he repeats the performance.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down