The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England V Wales Mutual Appreciation Thread

+33
Comfort
Breadvan
CurlyOsp
slartibartfast
Shifty
Glas a du
english warrior
WELL-PAST-IT
pontylad
Cowshot
munkian
majesticimperialman
BlueNote
doctor_grey
tazfalklands
Taffineastbourne
englandglory4ever
mckay1402
damngoodOvalball
mystiroakey
ChequeredJersey
bedfordwelsh
gregortree
Eclipse
hugehandoff
LordDowlais
eirebilly
Luckless Pedestrian
Triangulation
GavinDragon
miteyironpaw
andy powells minder
RubyGuby
37 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

England V Wales Mutual Appreciation Thread Empty England V Wales Mutual Appreciation Thread

Post by RubyGuby Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:52 pm

Well lads, this is a variation on a theme as we all love our teams and our rugby. I just want to say that these are good times for welsh rugby whilst England have at least started to shake things up and are developing some decent foundations after most of the old guard have been discarded which is encouraging. Most on here see Wales as slight favourites but the game is at Twickenham and home advantage is a big factor in the 6 Nations so it remains a bit of a 50/50 - Let's have some positive banter on here as we all have to come back on Monday. For the welsh fans, win or lose these are still good times for welsh rugby and we are developing a young powerful side with some srength in depth. Likewise England a win would really be something under the circumstances and perhaps the danger then is getting carried away too much, but I'm sure you'd take the win all the same Very Happy . A defeat for England is certainly not a disaster as long as it is within reason and 3/5 in a brave new english world would be a plus IMO. Let's hope its a cracker and we can all come back on Monday and hurl abuse about or be brave and humble with our success or defeat. Kipling didn't just make cakes he also said you have to be aware of those 2 imposters. Enjoy it lads. thumbsup Hug

Last edited by RubyGuby on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

England V Wales Mutual Appreciation Thread Empty Re: England V Wales Mutual Appreciation Thread

Post by andy powells minder Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:54 pm

mug

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

England V Wales Mutual Appreciation Thread Empty Re: England V Wales Mutual Appreciation Thread

Post by miteyironpaw Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:09 pm

I appreciate what you are trying to achieve here Ruby, I really do. But could you please explain to me the logic behind this "it's 50/50, but Wales are favourites" statement?

I've seen it loads of times here in the past few days. Maybe I'm just a simple-minded Englishman, but I don't understand how the game can be 50/50 and yet have a favourite, even a slight one.

Agree with you whole-heartedly that it would be great to have another belter of a match, and let's hope for a controversy free outcome so we can all agree the victor was the better team.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:11 pm

ok its 49/51 is that better for you mitey? ;-)

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:12 pm

Grand.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:14 pm

Ale

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:15 pm

I really really hope for an excellent game , no injuries at all to either side, both teams giving it a real lash, everyone playing to their potential and i hope that we wont be discussing any ref/ 4th official controversies.

Who is the ref again? Walsh.........oh god.....

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:17 pm

Good luck with this thread, Ruby!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:17 pm

Quick, start the England-Steve Walsh appreciation thread.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:20 pm

I have said it before England are a tough proposition at home. Wales boys are the team to beat but Twickers has that psycological edge to it.

I have Wales by 5.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:35 pm

Walsh is a total muppet, he gives into pressure and cannot make big calls, there will be no doubt about it, we will all be slagging the ref off on Monday. Crying or Very sad

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:36 pm

In statistics, the median refers to the value at the 50% percentile. That means that half of the scores fall below the median & the other half are above the median. Using the example above, the scores are: 0, 0, 50, 50, (50, 50), 50, 50, 50, 100. The median is the score that has the same number of occurrences above it and below it. For an odd number of scores, there is exactly one in the middle, and that would be the median. Using this example, we have an even number of scores, so the "middle 2" scores are averaged for the median value. These "middle" scores are bracketed by parenthesis in the list, and in this case are both equal to 50 (which average to 50, so the median is 50). In this case, the standard deviation of these scores is 26.9, which indicates a fairly wide "spread" of the numbers. For a "normal" distribution, most of the scores should center around the same value (in this case 50, which is also known as the "mode" - or the score that occurs most frequently) & as you move towards the extremes (very high or very low values), there should be fewer scores.

Hence Mighty the score will be England 16 Wales 24 even though the game is billed as a 50/50 - Alternatively 50/50 may also be used as a figure of speech - no pun intended there - Simples thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:40 pm

Positive banter is a good thing, but I will take issue with the notion that this is almost an even game. I think that Wales need to move on from just being a decent side with potential to being an actual top side that wins things. That means a 6Ns title and a Grand Slam; beating England this Sat for sure as this is a great chance to do so at HQ; regular wins over Southern Hemisphere opposition. You have a very good team with a settled coaching set up. Talking up England is like making excuses for a potential failure on Sat. Don't just hope for a win - demand it! I would love Eng to win (and I will be there on Sat cheering them on), but reality says no way as England's performance have been pretty poor and they are only just starting their journey compared to where Wales are.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Eclipse Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:19 am

I think most Welshmen are confident that our side is further along in its development then the England side and that this should result in a victory. Things don't always turn out that way. England have plenty of players who can hurt us although I'd like to think we have more who can hurt them. The great thing is that no matter what any of us think or say it's what happens on Saturday that counts and I hope it's a cracker. For what it's worth I reckon Wales will win by 6-10 but it wouldn't surprise me at all if England sneak a win.

Eclipse

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:29 am

Wales could run away with it, or England could click, score a few tries and run away with it themselves. Nobody knows, that's the magic of sport.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:11 am

hugehandoff wrote:Positive banter is a good thing, but I will take issue with the notion that this is almost an even game. I think that Wales need to move on from just being a decent side with potential to being an actual top side that wins things. That means a 6Ns title and a Grand Slam; beating England this Sat for sure as this is a great chance to do so at HQ; regular wins over Southern Hemisphere opposition. You have a very good team with a settled coaching set up. Talking up England is like making excuses for a potential failure on Sat. Don't just hope for a win - demand it! I would love Eng to win (and I will be there on Sat cheering them on), but reality says no way as England's performance have been pretty poor and they are only just starting their journey compared to where Wales are.

Last time I looked England were the 6 Nations champions and Wales finished 4th - Who's kidding who here - Wales are a very good team but in the 6 nations very good teams sometimes lose to average sides - its the rivalry that messes the odds up as in 1999 - A defeat for any of these teams would not be a disaster unless its a bit of a drubbing. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:39 am

Nice to have this antidote to the other thread. But looking at the scores so far, this thread will lose to the bickering one. Still, too early to write off this thread, because on its day .....

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:42 am

My, what a mighty fine team you have named over there in Wales.

They certainly will take some beating.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:48 am

miteyironpaw wrote:My, what a mighty fine team you have named over there in Wales.

They certainly will take some beating.

Brilliant, how catharctic was that Mighty Yahoo I think your chaps will show the Dunkirk spirit and come out fighting like their lives depended on it - it should be a corker - Land of Hope and Glory versus Land of Coal and George thumbsup

If Carlsberg did Threads Ale

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:54 am

idea I'm chosing to look at it this way, in the unlikely event that my beloved England do actually lose, it is a positive omen for our upcoming Lions stint that there is so much presence and depth to choose from. idea
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:56 am

miteyironpaw wrote:idea I'm chosing to look at it this way, in the unlikely event that my beloved England do actually lose, it is a positive omen for our upcoming Lions stint that there is so much presence and depth to choose from. idea

Stop gritting your teeth when you're writing this stuff I can here you down in Cornwall munnnn kiss

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:58 am

I've always been a huge fan of Welsh rugby. So much ambition in the style you play. It's so nice to see you back near the top of your game, playing attractive and successful rugby. It's good for the global game, and for us to have such stiff competition so near home to keep the bar raised. raspberry
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:07 am

I for one am a little bit apprehensive about Saturday, admittedly not as bas as I normally am when travelling to Twickenham where we ususaally get tonked but our record is still shocking there and England have some class so I guess it depends on what side Lancaster picks and how we handle the faves tag.

I would be far happier if he stuck with the same side as opening games but I doubt he will, Dixon and Tuilagi will add the much needed spark.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:10 am

Bedford - here you go again same as you did in the RWC - It doesn't matter what side Lancaster picks; we have a side that should win even at Twickenham - Come on boy, I thought you would have learned by now, you were like this before the Ireland game in the RWC thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:17 am

I've done a count back in this thread, and for a mutual appreciation thread I have to say a lot of appeciation is headed Westward and there isn't a lot of glowing evaluation of England's chances in return...

Just saying.

C'mon, spit it out.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:22 am

RubyGuby wrote:Bedford - here you go again same as you did in the RWC - It doesn't matter what side Lancaster picks; we have a side that should win even at Twickenham - Come on boy, I thought you would have learned by now, you were like this before the Ireland game in the RWC thumbsup

Ruby,

I will go there as confident as the next Welsh fan like I have done many years in the past, I was even glass half full throught the dreaded nineties.

Do I think we can win most certainly YES

Will we win a little bit more of an apprehensive Yes.

My money will as always go where my mouth is and I have money on us to win by 6-10 points but I haven't got many nerves left at my age and even less nails to chew on so if we win by more than ten then my nerves will be happy to lose the money.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:46 am

miteyironpaw wrote:I've done a count back in this thread, and for a mutual appreciation thread I have to say a lot of appeciation is headed Westward and there isn't a lot of glowing evaluation of England's chances in return...

Just saying.

C'mon, spit it out.

Mutual appreciation, pfffffil.

I'm going back to the bickering thread. At least it does what it says on the tin.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:53 am

I think Engalnd have been courageous in giving Farrell an opportunity and recalling Strettle. In Corbisiero they have unearthed a young prop of real quality who reminds me of a young Gethin thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:54 am

Can't wait to watch the game, hopefully Wales' backs will force us to up the tempo which I KNOW we can play at. Love to watch some of the Welsh players play and Tuilagi-Davies and Foden-1/2P should be great matchups
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:59 am

very nice ruby.

lets hope for a good game, the best team wins and no controversy

shame i will probally have to work on saturday Sad

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:01 am

Exams over on Saturday, I will be watching with a mix of English and Welsh mates full of banter and I will get BATTERED
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:07 am

in all fairness i will probally nip out and watch it in some pub somewhere- cant miss this game

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Eclipse Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:15 am

To get into the spirit of this thread I might even wear a white shirt and red jumper to work tomorrow.

Eclipse

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:29 am

I am beggining to get pretty nervous about this one. The truth is that Wales have shown good attacking intent and we have not. People have mentioned that Lancaster was playing specific 'narrow game' tactics against Scotland and Italy. Whilst this might be true, we hardly executed that particalrly well and looked limited on therare occassions that we did attack. I'm happy with 2 from 2, and not too annoyed about the manner of the wins given how new the team is. My point is that on the evidence of the first two games, Wales should be significant favourites - they are playing significantly better than England. And this superiority is across the park.
That said, as Ruby pointed out, big upsets do happen in the 6N. Thats what it would take for England to win, an upset.

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:17 am

miteyironpaw wrote:I've done a count back in this thread, and for a mutual appreciation thread I have to say a lot of appeciation is headed Westward and there isn't a lot of glowing evaluation of England's chances in return...

Just saying.

C'mon, spit it out.

Foden's good
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:20 am

If Wales win as we all expect. Then good for them they will have taken a significant scalp. Lose and they are well and truly back to the drawing board and in the doldrums!

If England win it will be a significant step forward by a very raw and callow team feeling their way. If they lose then no big deal as we all expect Wales to win. So win, win for England and win - shoot the team for Wales.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:28 am

Surely the Welsh team is full of youngsters or have I missed something??

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:29 am

england,

Thats a fair point to a degree, the pressure to win is far more on us as we are the more settled team, have a settled coaching set up and have been playing well (though not for full 80 yet).

England are a work in progress so to speak with interim coach and some young players come through.

But with all that said are we favourites by that much? is a win really expetced more than hoped for?

England have some class players. players who before the WC some were tipping to take England all the way but it all went wrong off the field as well as on it.

Players like Cole, Lawes, Croft, Flood, Tuilagi, Foden and Ashton are like I said class players, its whether lancaster can gel them as a team with some of the others coming in around them.

As I said early , can we win YES am I totally confident we will No
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:53 am

"...is a win really expetced more than hoped for?"

Yes is the answer. Just about every rugby supporter from wherever is expecting a Welsh win. Me too come to that.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by tazfalklands Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:04 am

Just read the Rowntree has said that England will need to be 10% better to beat wales. personnally I think that a typ by Auntie Beeb, England will need to be 100% better to beat wales. As an England Fan I can only see this going 1 way, unless the Welsg get lost on the way to twickers. Forwards will probably about even but not 1 of our back 3 or centres can hold a candle to the Welsh opposite. If we start with Dickson he might have the beating of Phillips (but his previous good showing could be tired opposition) and a fully fit Floody is even with Rhy Preistland, but Charlie Hodgson is not fir to lace his boots.

Besides a totally gloomy outlook, I will be in the Pub cheering for England, and congratulating my welsh mate on the great team that beat us if they do.

tazfalklands

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:07 am

we need alot more than 10% extra to best wales - that is pretty obvious!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:09 am

Dickson have the beating of Phillips - interesting comment - Lets hope the 2 tribes go at it from the off and may the best team - naaagh I can't say the rest Hug

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:13 am

Maybe he meant 10% better than Wales?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:40 am

I appreciate your attempts to be positive, mate, but this might be a match where, even unintended, a bit of agro comes out. And I know you didn't expect this........
RubyGuby wrote:I think your chaps will show the Dunkirk spirit and come out fighting like their lives depended on it
Sir Winston Churchill wrote:Let us make no mistake. Dunkirk was was defeat, not a victory

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:45 am

England fans, come on, you're overdoing this pessimism stuff. You're still ranked above us and at home.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:49 am

I do agree with some posters that Wales are a more settled team than England, But England have changed atleast half the team from the Rugby Wold Cup... But personaly i still see this game as 50/50 (to close to call) It will all depend on what team Lancaster puts out, how many changes he will make.

Wales in all honesty do seem to have problems winning at Twickenham as their record shows. That does not meen that England should take them litely.

But just because Wales are a more settled team than England, does not mean that Wales should get over confident in winning this week.

Both teams go into this game 2 wins from 2 games. So who ever wins this week, could maybe look forward to a possible Grand Slam.

Looking forward to a good game. may the best team win.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:03 am

Just saying.

C'mon, spit it out.

You...have..nice.... shirts ?

Hug
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:12 am

munkian wrote:

Just saying.

C'mon, spit it out.

You...have..nice.... shirts ?

Hug

The shirts are good but they don't seem to have gelled like the Welsh shirts have. I think we might just have the edge in the shirts
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:16 am

at least our shirts no longer look like a second hand tampon. Thats something I suppose

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:38 am

Richmond is quite nice,though a tad pricey.London Welsh play there,I believe.
I have also met a few decent English blokes.David Duckham was pretty good.It really isnt that bad to pick Saffers and Kiwis if you cant find 15 English to play us.You are doing the best that you can with your limited resources.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next