The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oh dear! Looks like Lawes is out for the rest of the 6Ns.

+20
stlowe
doctor_grey
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
HammerofThunor
mystiroakey
thebluesmancometh
MrsP
adambarney
robshaw4england
majesticimperialman
eirebilly
B91212
miteyironpaw
bedfordwelsh
Triangulation
nobbled
Glas a du
RubyGuby
glamorganalun
Portnoy
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Oh dear! Looks like Lawes is out for the rest of the 6Ns. Empty Oh dear! Looks like Lawes is out for the rest of the 6Ns.

Post by Portnoy Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:40 pm

No link yet* - just reported on R5.

Despite the freakish stripping for the losing try, I see Lawes as a great loss to the English collective.

*http: http://www.espnscrum.com/six-nations-2012/rugby/story/160420.html

Last edited by Portnoy on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Oh dear! Looks like Lawes is out for the rest of the 6Ns. Empty Re: Oh dear! Looks like Lawes is out for the rest of the 6Ns.

Post by glamorganalun Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:44 pm

He probably got a ripped arm muscle.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Oh dear! Looks like Lawes is out for the rest of the 6Ns. Empty Re: Oh dear! Looks like Lawes is out for the rest of the 6Ns.

Post by RubyGuby Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:47 pm

I hope he gets fit soon - great athlete thumbsup

Last edited by RubyGuby on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:47 pm

"I fought with Lawes, but this time I won..." music
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:48 pm

so there he was outside the sweetshop, and ..... Whistle

Hope he's okay, 'cos other than "the incident" he is an asset to the team.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:49 pm

Well, Scott Williams took Lawes' ball into his own hand.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:53 pm

Gloating at injuries in rugby... vomit

I'm taking names Nobbled, glas a du, portnoy, glamorganalun, rubyguby............................................

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:53 pm

Always thought Courtney was a girls name

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Triangulation wrote:Gloating at injuries in rugby... vomit

I'm taking names Nobbled, glas a du, portnoy, glamorganalun, rubyguby............................................

I think this is a particularly poor response to such a reasoned argument, but Flip OFF Trinagulation.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Never likes seeing anyone unavailable due to injruy so hope its not to serious for him.

Was he rushed back maybe?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:58 pm

I agree with Triangulation. Some of the schadenfreude here is revealing shamefully shallow and insecure characters overly reliant on the misfortune of others to prop up their egos.

How about, it must be awful for Lawes, who besides making a solid impact when he came on, is being made a scapegoat for England's loss. Despite battling back from injury and winning a place in the England squad, he is now out for the rest of the 6N and won't have an opportunity to atone for his mistake and prove his critics wrong.

I feel for the guy.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:58 pm

Triangulation:

I thought my deduction was quite plausible as he did nothing else in the game except barge K Owens in the back off the ball with his shoulder, maybe he has a shoulder problem?

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:00 pm

Never want to see a player injured, and I'm sure hes a big loss for England.

But I dislike the guy, so although I wish him a speedy recovery, I'm allowed to make fun of his name on the internet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:02 pm

http://www.espnscrum.com/six-nations-2012/rugby/story/160420.html
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:03 pm

Very Happy Mitey, you can Flip OFF and all Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:06 pm

IronMike wrote:Always thought Courtney was a girls name
Au contraire.

From wikipedia Smile

Courtney was used as a given name for men beginning at least as far back as the 17th Century (e.g. the British Member of Parliament Sir Courtney Pool, 1677[2]). As a given name for women, however, it gained wide acceptance only in the years following the 1956 publication of the novel "Chocolates for Breakfast", by Pamela Moore, whose protagonist Courtney Farrell sometimes wishes she had been born a man.

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:06 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Never likes seeing anyone unavailable due to injruy so hope its not to serious for him.

I think they are saying it is shin splints where as he had a knee injury before the tournament. He did state just 2 weeks before the Scotland game that he personally thought he may still make the game, although at that stage he was still in a leg brace and the medical staff were saying no chance so it wouldn't surprise me if he is the kind of player who isn't 100% honest with the medical staff in order to play.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:12 pm

It is a big loss for England quaility wise.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:23 pm

There is nothing I could find on the BBC sport or teletext regarding Lawes injury. Did he pick it up in the game against Wales or in training?

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:33 pm

Apart from Lawes being out with an injury, seems a good few of the the is coming down with some sort of sickness. vomit

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by robshaw4england Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:33 pm

hopefully Attwood will come onto the bench as his replacement.

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:38 pm

robshaw4england Today at 5:33 pm

.hopefully Attwood will come onto the bench as his replacement. .

Great shout. We need mongrel.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by adambarney Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:08 pm

no garvey better then attwood.

adambarney

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:43 pm

B91212 wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:Never likes seeing anyone unavailable due to injruy so hope its not to serious for him.

I think they are saying it is shin splints where as he had a knee injury before the tournament. He did state just 2 weeks before the Scotland game that he personally thought he may still make the game, although at that stage he was still in a leg brace and the medical staff were saying no chance so it wouldn't surprise me if he is the kind of player who isn't 100% honest with the medical staff in order to play.

I know that this is only your interpretation of the situation but the kind of player you describe is stupid and selfish in almost equal measure.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:51 pm

MrsP

In reality most players are like that, lots hide injuries from medical staff as they are so hungry to play especilly in internationals.

If you declare yourself unfit your looked at like your not willing, also it's a very rare thing that you get to play fully fit anyway.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:02 pm

Well I still think it is both stupid and selfish.

Players like that clearly care more about themselves than they do about their team.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:08 pm

Give in now Bluesman, she's voracious.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:09 pm

Laugh

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:11 pm

oh come on mrsp, tis what sporstmen do, it shows passion, fault of the medical team if they dont pick it up not the player. It is refreshing especially when we see the football players drop out over a Tinkywinky on the finger!!

tinkywink what the hell!! lol

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:16 pm

Glas a du wrote:Give in now Bluesman, she's voracious right.

Fixed that for you Glas!

Wink

Yeah,

Well there's a big difference between being willing to play through the pain for your team and playing when you are not able to perform just because you don't want to miss out!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:17 pm

IMO thats a huge blow, im a big fan of lawes, and would much rather have him in the side over botha!

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:23 pm

Ssssh, no one mention Ferris' tackle while MrsP is online Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:37 pm

What the ones where he tries to take the Italians' heads off?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:39 pm

MrsP wrote:
Glas a du wrote:Give in now Bluesman, she's voracious right.

Fixed that for you Glas!

Wink

Yeah,

Well there's a big difference between being willing to play through the pain for your team and playing when you are not able to perform just because you don't want to miss out!

But surely the pain is sign that something is wrong? How do you tell the difference? Or does it come down to whether you like a player? Very Happy

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:43 pm

Well that's why you tell the medics.

But pretending you are over an injury when you know that is not the case just seems self serving to me.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:57 pm

Is it just me, or whenever this page is visited, the ad at the top says "national accident hotline"?

Just how clever is the ad server?
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:05 pm

not sure if the above are google adds- but i would suggest they are- sometimes the adds are based on what you have been searching on recently, whilst logged in to your gmail(i mainly get adds that have nothing to do with the site- yet get adds for stuff i have searched for online recently)-off course the adds can also read what is going on on the page as well- google are big time, may get in trouble for it mind- europe are investigating it.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:18 pm

MrsP wrote:Well that's why you tell the medics.

But pretending you are over an injury when you know that is not the case just seems self serving to me.
I'm a Saints fan and although I rate him as a player I don't always think Lawes is the brightest (although on a side note he is 100% tea total so perhaps he is brighter than some England players past and present). It's like when everyone was talking him up as some kind of super enforcer he overdid it and ended up overstepping the mark a few times instead of just carrying on by playing how he had since breaking into the team. After establishing himself during the 2010 tour to Aus and the autumn internationals he missed the 2011 6N through injury and hasn't been able to regain his place since so it's going to play on his mind and perhaps he will keep little niggles and strains to himself in an effort to re-establish himself. Ultimately it will cost a player though as the more you play with injuries the more they catch up with you later in your career.

Anyway it seems this is a different injury so I guess it's irrelevant, unless he was carrying it before the Wales game. He did train with the squad before the scan though so perhaps he picked it up in training.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:38 pm

Interesting ... the article notes that Ashtons been poorly. Maybe he shouldve got a note from him mum on Saturday to be excused PE. I bet Lancaster wouldve made him do it in his pants anyway.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:05 pm

I see the trend once again where players are rushed back from injury only to hurt something else. The injuries are directly related. As anyone, especially a top level athlete, recovers from an injury they compensate and put additional stresses on other parts of the body. Not remotely a surprise. It seems to be he must have passed all the cursory tests, but was still rushed back a week or so early.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by stlowe Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:02 am

Lawes played the full 80 mins for Saints in the two weekends preceding last Saturday's England game, so if it had been a case of him being rushed back, surely there would have been signs of the new different injury prior to his lesser stint last weekend.

stlowe

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:24 am

It doesn't always work that way. When compensating for an injury its not uncommon to take a few weeks for a collateral injury to be apparent. An athlete can pass the usual testing, but need to be honest with the medical staff about any niggling injuries or soreness, especially if connected to where the injury occurred. This enables a proper analysis of the total health of the athlete.

To be fair, though, how many athletes would tell staff the truth if it means they will lose playing time? We all did it.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by overlordofthewest Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:39 am

Im sorry to see any player injured. I wish him well and a speedy recovery.

I don't however see him as a huge loss for england. Hes massively overrated and always fails to live up to his hype.

overlordofthewest

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:36 am

doctor_grey wrote:It doesn't always work that way. When compensating for an injury its not uncommon to take a few weeks for a collateral injury to be apparent. An athlete can pass the usual testing, but need to be honest with the medical staff about any niggling injuries or soreness, especially if connected to where the injury occurred. This enables a proper analysis of the total health of the athlete.

To be fair, though, how many athletes would tell staff the truth if it means they will lose playing time? We all did it.

This is true, i have experience it. I broke a big toe and sat out a few games (years ago mind). When i cam back i played about 3 full matches before getting a calf strain in the other leg. I was amazed when the doctor told me that the two injuries were linked but when he explained it that i had been over compensating with my other leg due to the broken toe it all made sense to me.

Lawes may not have actually felt in pain or felt as if he had something to report to the medics. Give the guy the benefit of the doubt OK
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:22 am

Be fair, pro rugby would collapse if every players refussed to train or play every time they had a bit of stiffness. Theres nothing to say he didnt tell the staff the truth anyway, what would their response have been? Lets monitor this and see how it goes....which apparently they have done and realised it was more serious than they first thought.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:25 am

Im not too concerned at this actually.

Hopefully Lancaster can make the right call and bring Garvey on to the bench, so we can see how he goes....

Even Slater is getting good reviews...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:39 am

Interesting question that Geordie....
Hes lost Lawes and Deacon from his initial selections and ditched Palmer. Unless he goes crawling cap in hand back to TP theres only Garvey, Robson and Launchberry in the Saxons ( his 6th -8th choice players ) left.
Other option is to just pick two backrows on the bench and use Croft as injury cover for the second row.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:41 am

Which is fine unless Croft gets injured. Are Botha and Parling really, and I mean really, your two firstchoice second rows?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:56 am

Glas,
For Lancaster Deacon and Lawes were, then Palmer was third choice, then Botha, then Parling.
As its panned out hes decided Botha is great and Parling > Palmer. Lawes got the bench spot because he hadnt been training/playing with the squad coming back form injury.

As for the Croft risk...thats no different to any position. What if Webber and Hartley got injured? The bench is only so big.
What Im saying is if your best combo is as uninspring as those two is the 6th choice player in that position really going to be worth calling up when they havent had time to learn the senior sides lineouts yet?

I know the internet loves Garvey, I guess we will find out how much Lancaster does too.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:04 am

I've yet to see him have a good game.

Very overrated IMO, no loss to England as I think Botha and Parling deserve another go.

Lets be honest what has he done, apart from some TV and magazine ad’s?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next