The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The French and the Irish - who is going to win on Sunday?

+34
KiaRose
Pot Noodle Miner
majesticimperialman
doctor_grey
Pot Hale
slartibartfast
HERSH
wolfball
munkian
mckay1402
thebluesmancometh
Rava
Feckless Rogue
Welshmushroom
whocares
kiakahaaotearoa
geoff998rugby
Mickado
dublin_dave
Rory_Gallagher
Gibson
The Great Aukster
eirebilly
SecretFly
Submachine
Triangulation
rodders
RubyGuby
aitchw
Notch
Chunky Norwich
Thomond
Glas a du
Cowshot
38 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The French and the Irish - who is going to win on Sunday? Empty The French and the Irish - who is going to win on Sunday?

Post by Cowshot Fri 02 Mar 2012, 8:41 am

At least I think it's Sunday. I thought it had been rescheduled for the 3rd but the BBC says the 4th.

My heart says both teams have been misfiring and it's a very even game. My head says the Irish have been trying hard but not quite making it work whereas the French have done just enough to win and they'll up their game again to win this one.

If the French DO win, it's definitely squeaky bum time for the Welsh! laughing

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

The French and the Irish - who is going to win on Sunday? Empty Re: The French and the Irish - who is going to win on Sunday?

Post by Glas a du Fri 02 Mar 2012, 8:44 am

My heart says both teams have been misfiring and it's a very even game.

What a boring heart. Hearts normally say, Ireland because green's my favourite colour. Or, Ireland because I like underdogs.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

The French and the Irish - who is going to win on Sunday? Empty Re: The French and the Irish - who is going to win on Sunday?

Post by Cowshot Fri 02 Mar 2012, 8:59 am

What a boring heart. Hearts normally say, Ireland because green's my favourite colour. Or, Ireland because I like underdogs.

Well, yours is a Welsh heart and therefore subject to random change, especially during matches. My English heart had an Irish Mum and therefore wants Ireland to win. It's just that even my heart suspects the French of duplicity. tomato

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:03 am

My heart just beats, you might want to see a Doctor if it's telling you all that.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:08 am

My heart just beats, you might want to see a Doctor if it's telling you all that.

I did. He says it's in the right place but I might want to be kinder to my liver, which supports Scotland...

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:19 am

France

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:22 am

Cowshot wrote:

I did. He says it's in the right place but I might want to be kinder to my liver, which supports Scotland...

Laugh
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:25 am

France 38-41 Ireland. Tom Court to come off the bench at half-time and be the first Irishman since BOD to score a hattrick away against France as he spearheads an amazing comeback.

Spoiler:

It's all in the eyes.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:27 am

music when Aussie eyes are brooding...music
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:38 am

<stares broodingly at Glas a Du>
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:45 am

The French are being as French as ever and giving no clue as to their state of mind or what their performance is likely to be. Ireland will have to go at them full bore for 80 mins and the French will feed off the smallest of errors. Really tight this one. I want Ireland to win but can't quite see them doing it. Hope I'm wrong.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:49 am

I think we will see the true mettle of both sides in this one and it will act as a true barometer of where these teams are - I feel France will come through with a 5-10 point victory as they have more penetration behind and a more dynamic back row - The rest is pretty even for me. If Ireland can get ahead however and upset them then they will be in with a shout but this Fofana fella looks the find of the tournament so far thumbsup -

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:00 am

You can't take a player like BOD out of the side and not expect the odd hiccough. Quite a lot of the spine of the old Irish team has gone - they are rebuilding to a large extent and finding their way. To me it (as usual) comes down to what the French do. It's very possible to see the French as having done just enough in each game to win acceptably and no more. I can very easily see them blowing wny other team in the 6Ns off the park - if they are in the mood.

And the WC Final loss and Saint-Andre show signs of having put them in the mood. When they've put their foot on the gas, as they did a couple of times against Scotland, they've looked smooth as silk.

For Ireland, I feel the game is shake, rattle and roll: If the French can be jolted out of their complacency they are always vulnerable - just as dangerous, but vulnerable. The battle of the loose forwards is a must win for Ireland, imo. Bit of mauling wouldn't hurt either.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:01 am

France are heavy favourites, they always just seem to do enough to beat us without playing well.

The French haven't got out of second gear yet...but then we've been saying that for about 18 months so maybe there aren't any other gears in this side?

Ireland were deceptively poor against Italy but still won comfortably. Can we put a huge 80 min performance together? I'm not so sure and there are big question marks about our midfield and gameplan in general. France's scrum was very dominant against Scotland too.

This one could go either way. Heart says Ireland by 4 but head says France by 15.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:11 am

Ireland are at a similar stage to England were in 2004.

France by 10

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:19 am

Heart and head are pretty quiet this morning. However my blind optimism is very very SHOUTY. Ireland to win with a breathtaking display of backrow play. I've heard Seán O'Brien has had his tibias removed and his feet attached to his knees in a bid to become the ultimate ground hog 7. The spare bones have been grafted on to his chest to form a tripod at rucks enabling him to support his own weight whilst almost horizontal, inches from the ground.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:30 am

Is it just the boards being quiet, or are the Irish a bit, well, flat for this one? I haven't posted much, but I've popped in from time to time and there's been almost nothing. A lot was explainable as everything already having been said, but we're two days out from the game!

Come on! O'Connell is past it! Sexton couldn't kick his way out of a paper bag! You're all plastic paddies made in Aus! Tommy Bowe is a wuss! tomato ghost raspberry

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:31 am

Submachine: That's more like it!

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:34 am

Notch wrote:<stares broodingly at Glas a Du>

But that's the same one you use as 'seductive'?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:35 am

Cowshot wrote:
Come on! O'Connell is past it! Sexton couldn't kick his way out of a paper bag! You're all plastic paddies made in Aus! Tommy Bowe is a wuss! tomato ghost raspberry

Bloody hell Cowshot don't rub it in sir! Sad
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:45 am

Who is going to win?

Easy. We are - the French.

I know that'll be a shock to some here who know me..but I had to come clean, can't keep it secret any longer.

Vive la France!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 62- 10

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:55 am

Cowshot wrote:

Best line on this here 606v2 since I turned up. Great stuff

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Fri 02 Mar 2012, 11:04 am

Glas a du wrote:
Notch wrote:<stares broodingly at Glas a Du>

But that's the same one you use as 'seductive'?

Well, which do you find more terrifying? Shocked

Bloody hell Cowshot don't rub it in sir!

Wow! Didn't realise it was THAT bad!

Darcy's found some form. The back row looks good. Trimble and Bowe know how to find the try line, Kearney's looked back to something like his best and the French have shown a reluctance to dirty their shorts by anything as common as tackling, so far. And the French can get complacent. Often do, imo. And the Irish side really could get it together. It's not all doom and gloom.

SecretFly: Smile

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 02 Mar 2012, 11:34 am

We're Ireland Cowshot...its always doom and gloom man! Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Fri 02 Mar 2012, 11:40 am

Just to clarify, is it Cow Shot? Or Cows... Hot?

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Fri 02 Mar 2012, 11:44 am

roddersm wrote:We're Ireland Cowshot...its always doom and gloom man! Wink

You sure your family hasn't got Yorkshire relations?

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 02 Mar 2012, 11:45 am

Submachine wrote:Just to clarify, is it Cow Shot? Or Cows... Hot?

Cowshot.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Fri 02 Mar 2012, 11:54 am

Just to clarify, is it Cow Shot? Or Cows... Hot?

It's the name I carried over from the old 606, which I originally joined to talk cricket. In cricket a cowshot is a particular sort of bad shot. So it's a sort of cricketing joke. Tumbleweed

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:05 pm

I have Ireland winning this match by 5. I can feel it in my bones Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:09 pm

eirebilly wrote:I have Ireland winning this match by 5. I can feel it in my bones Wink

Well, we know you have good selection bones, but are they good result bones?

btw, do you ever have days when your left leg says Sexton and your right leg says ROG and you can't even walk? Just curious...

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:11 pm

Not been to bad on the results cowshot Very Happy

I am Irish and a Munsterman, of corse i have had those days Laugh
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:11 pm

Foley would be my main focus. He has surely looked on at the Irish playing in the WC and in their first two games...and he must see that O'Brien, Heaslip and to a lesser extent Ferris aren't being used effectively. He must have some new thoughts on finding them better avenues to use their linebreaking stengths.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:12 pm

Fly, i still stand by my thoughts that SOB should be on the bench (with POM starting) and brought on as an impact sub for either POM, Ferris or Heaslip.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:15 pm

eirebilly wrote:Not been to bad on the results cowshot Very Happy

I am Irish and a Munsterman, of corse i have had those days Laugh

I'll remember that if I'm ever stopped by the police when staggering home after a game: "I'm not drunk, officer. I've just got selection issues."

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:18 pm

eirebilly wrote:Fly, i still stand by my thoughts that SOB should be on the bench (with POM starting) and brought on as an impact sub for either POM, Ferris or Heaslip.

And a good thought it continues to be, billy. I think we're all reaching the final conclusion that O'Brien has had his test period at International 7 and it's impeding his most explosive and effective game.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:19 pm

Well over a few pints is as good as anytime to discuss the selection issues Wink

Many a day i have been seen crawling home, stopped by the police and mumbled "Why Kidney, why?" and been let off Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:20 pm

SecretFly wrote:
eirebilly wrote:Fly, i still stand by my thoughts that SOB should be on the bench (with POM starting) and brought on as an impact sub for either POM, Ferris or Heaslip.

And a good thought it continues to be, billy. I think we're all reaching the final conclusion that O'Brien has had his test period at International 7 and it's impeding his most explosive and effective game.

He is still an amazing player but it just doesnt work with the three of them together for some reason and he is the one that i feel will be the better impact player.
POM, although not a 7 either, seems more comfortable there than SOB.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:27 pm

Well, it'll be interesting to see how Foley tries to manipulate the conundrum he has been dealt by selection, and give those three more impact (they're doing the donkey work, yes) but they need to become more of a dynamic threat with ball in hand...and I mean they need to be asking major questions of the defence as to which one to concentrate on. Right now, teams plan for Ferris.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:32 pm

Many a day i have been seen crawling home, stopped by the police and mumbled "Why Kidney, why?" and been let off

Laugh

That did happen to a Quins friend of mine who got stopped I think for speeding. He was wearing his Quins shirt (which frankly is sufficient of a traffic hazard to be an offence) and it turned out the copper was also a supporter. After a brief chat about the state of the team, that was that - no ticket. Smile

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:36 pm

Laugh

Thats brilliant cowshot
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:37 pm

To be honest Fly, i am really happy that Foley is involved. I have high hopes that he will get the backrow functioning symbiotically with the backs.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:44 pm

The French and the Irish - who ARE going to win on Sunday.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:52 pm

I stand corrected.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:54 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:The French and the Irish - who ARE going to win on Sunday.

Oh so it' not the Heavyweight Title? Oh I thought it was the Murphy v Desmrais fight we were talking about.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 02 Mar 2012, 12:54 pm

Medard out is a plus. Not for him. I feel for the man. 6 months out min, when he was driving this French team forward.
Hate to see great players miss big games. Its why we watch it all. Well, it's why I watch it all. Get well soon mon cherie. OK

Anyway Poitrenaud not a patch on him. As a player or how he influences those around him. Kearney should take him on. Aul Clément can be a big Cadburys 99 at times.

Agree on the backrow balance. It's where we may get shafted. Again. SOB has to start getting to the breakdown quicker. And turnovers will kill us. They feed off them.
Scottish lineout showed em they way in their game. We must do the same. Parity in the scrum - at least.
Sexton to really start running games, as well as kicking 90% plus. Trimble and Bowe are finding the tryline again. As is Earls. Darcy was pretty good last week too. Augurs well.
Just need young Conor to release the ball a tad quicker. Im glad he is starting tbh. Did a lot of great defensive work last week. Im sure Kiss & Kidney had a word after the Italian game.
If we are anyway near or leading them, with 20 to go... same changes as last week please Declan. Maybe a bit sooner.

Must stay with them in the 1st 20-30 mins. It's when they always beat us up in Paris. No more gallant comeback efforts. I want a win Deccie. No more feicin around roysh?

L'Irlande de 5 puwaah.

Croyez!
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 02 Mar 2012, 1:06 pm

You do make me laugh Gibbo but at the moment it doesn't take much for us welsh - I know you enjoyed our breeze at Twickers - Good luck on Sunday, you can do it and you have the best 10 on the park by far - Rattle the basxxxrds early - A rampaging performance for 80 minutes akin to the Ireland England one last year and you have a chance - Later - Enjoy the daffodils, I'm sure you wore one yesterday thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 02 Mar 2012, 1:12 pm

Ruby a chara,
No daffs up here yet. I had leek soup tho and had Max Boyce's Greatest Hits blaring.

I feel sorry for the Italians. I can see a cricket score coming up.

Sure we'll try and pish de French off for ye. Will that do, fy ffrind?
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 02 Mar 2012, 1:18 pm

Gibson wrote:
Just need young Conor to release the ball a tad quicker. Im glad he is starting tbh. Did a lot of great defensive work last week. Im sure Kiss & Kidney had a word after the Italian game.
If we are anyway near or leading them, with 20 to go... same changes as last week please Declan. Maybe a bit sooner.

Good point about giving the change overs real meaningful time, Gibbo. He did it right for the Italy game (and it's a pity such change of tact was required for an Italy game!) But if things need a new focus...he should do it when it needs the new focus and not wait for the traditional last few nail biting minutes. That tactic won't be enough to spoil any French party. If things need new plans and the players on the bench are the ones to do it, then get them on before the drama turns into a crisis. If they also lose then so be it...we just exchanged losing players for players that lost. Risk demands we try.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 02 Mar 2012, 1:22 pm

With you all the way on that one Fly. Must go for it. Only way to win it. And our Deccie is showing dangerous signs of becoming proactive recently. We live in hope.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 02 Mar 2012, 1:22 pm

Speaking of SOB getting to the breakdown faster.. I do agree. However, he actually is one of the fastest flankers in the game surprisingly. He needs to read the game better. I think he Wallace and Ferris are meant to be the fastest irish players over 10 metres. Will Foley be able to get the balance right for our back row? As everyone knows, I believe it is there with Ferris, SOB and Heaslip. They just need to learn how to share their roles and play with some intensity. Something a lot of our pack I feel have been lacking in lately. Intensity.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next