The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cheltenham Festival - Thursday / Ryanair Chase, World Hurdle...

+3
Captain Charisma
racingnut
sportform
7 posters

Go down

Cheltenham Festival - Thursday / Ryanair Chase, World Hurdle... Empty Cheltenham Festival - Thursday / Ryanair Chase, World Hurdle...

Post by sportform Thu 08 Mar 2012, 2:20 am

Can Big Bucks take another World Hurdle?

Updates in green

1:30 Jewson Novices´ Chase (Registered As The Golden Miller Novices´ Chase) Grade 2 Cl1 2m4f
PEDDLERS CROSS looks like swerving the Arkle and a rematch with Sprinter Sacre in favour of this race. Although well beaten last time by that horse, it was the only time the Donald McCain horse has run right handed. He seems to go well at Cheltenham winning the Bingham over 2m5f in 2010 and just being held off by Hurricane Fly in the Champion Hurdle. Champion Court and Bold Sir Brian could be the dangers.

Peddlers Cross is the big fancy this race with six newspaper selections. Sir Des Champs, For Non Stop and Solix all have 2. Sir Des Champs has been shortened a little but with Grand Crus and Sizing Europe losing today the bookies will surely be out to get Peddlers Cross. It is worth noting that the McCain stable is flying this week.

2:05 Pertemps Final (Handicap Hurdle) (Listed Race) Cl1 3m
A number of horses in this have multiple entries but one of the more certain runners GRAND VISION looks a good shout in this. The Colin Tizzard horse has been steadily improving all year and has won in his last two starts. He is will be carrying a nice weight of around 10-5 and should get into the race comfortably. Sivola De Sivola and the well backed Jetson could run big races too while Buena Vista can never be ruled out in these type of races.

Our Father goes in this for David Pipe and is currently around 9-2 favourite. Another Pipe horse Buena Vista, who has won this race for the last two years, is next in the betting. After today's huge gamble on Son Of Flicka another Donald McCain horse, Across The Bay, has been shortened tonight. The big questiong is, is this being backed or are the bookies running scared?

2:40 Ryanair Chase (Registered As The Festival Trophy Steeple Chase) Grade 1 Cl1 2m5f
Albertas Run has won this race in the two previous years and goes for a hat-trick this year. Despite not being out since October due to a career-threatening injury, trainer Jonjo O'Niell says the horse is bang on target for the race. He is currently trading at around 8/1. RIVERSIDE THEATRE has hardly put a foot wrong all season winning three of his four starts and only being beat by last year's Gold Cup winner Long Run.

This race looks wide open with Somersby and Riverside Theatre currently leading the betting. Albertas Run who has won this the last two years is currently trading at around 9-1 and if the horse is back to his best that looks far too big. Riverside Theatre and Noble Prince have received the most selections in the newspaper with 3 each with Somersby and Poquelin both have 2.

3:20 Ladbrokes World Hurdle Grade 1 Cl1 3m
This seems a two-horse between BIG BUCKS and Oscar Whisky but with only one winner. The Paul Nicholls trained horse has won this race for the last three seasons and is on a current 15 race unbeaten run. At long odds-on this may not be a race to get involved in but rather to just sit back and watch history in the making.

With Hurricane Fly and Sizing Europe losing their titles on the first two days will Big Bucks go the same way? Oscar Whisky has been running well over the longer distance and So Young have stepped up well from his novice year last year. Not surprisingly Big Bucks is the most selected in the newspapers with 11.

4:00 Byrne Group Plate (Handicap Chase) Grade 3 Cl1 2m5f
Another handicap race and another David Pipe ante-post gameble. This time the horse is Salut Flo who has some decent form from 2010 but has only been seen out once since, at Cheltenham in December, when finising well behind in 12th after blundering three out. NICEONEFRANKIE has won his last two outings well and should be one to keep an eye out for.

Niceonefrankie is a mover in the market and one to watch. It has also been tipped 5 times in the morning newspapers. Salut Flo, Hector's Choice and The Cockney Mackem are others with a few selections.

4:40 Fulke Walwyn Kim Muir Challenge Cup Handicap Chase (Amateur Riders) Cl2 3m1f110y
THE HOLLINWELL trained by Ferdy Murphy can land this amateur riders race at Cheltenham. The horse warmed up win a win on the all-weather last time out and had a decent run behind Hey Big Spender in the Rehearsal Chase at Newcastle back in November.

Up The Beat for the same jockey and trainer that won the Bumper could be interesting while Midnight Appeal for Alan King could run a big race.

Last edited by sportsville on Wed 14 Mar 2012, 11:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Cheltenham Festival - Thursday / Ryanair Chase, World Hurdle... Empty Re: Cheltenham Festival - Thursday / Ryanair Chase, World Hurdle...

Post by racingnut Sat 10 Mar 2012, 10:38 am

For me the best day of the Festival.

1.30 PEDDLERS CROSS,if at his best,is hard to oppose.A genuine 170 hurdler with form of the highest calibre,he hasnt scaled those heights over the bigger stuff and he does have a question or two to answer over his latest effort although the winner has franked that in no uncertain manner.If he performs anywhere close to his best then he takes this event on the way back to grade one company.Cristal Bonus is a young improver from a shrewd stable,he holds multiple entries but if this is his target then he may give the Mccain stable star most to do.

2.05 A race with more plots than an Agatha Christie novel.Two against the field are CAPE TRIBULATION,a frustrating but talented individual who has hinted at a real revival on more than one occasion this season,solid effort on bad ground under a big weight at Haydock last time,he will enjoy a sounder surface and the likely strong pace and VOLADOR,two eyecatching runs after an injury lay off hint at better to come.He will also like the better ground/fast pace but getting a run might be his biggest problem,plenty need to come out for him to get in,if he does he maybe a sporting ew poke.

2.40 Belting renewal with a handful of contenders having top claims.Somersby has rock solid form but for all that he won at Ascot last time i still have him as the "Youmzain" of NH racing-he runs to his mark but generally finds at least one too good.Albertas Run is a standing dish in this but hes trying to win this first run back after injury,thats a massive ask and although this is his place it isnt difficult to pass him over.Kalahari King needs no introduction,ive screamed him from the rooftops for four Festivals,my heart still bears the scars of his agonising Arkle defeat.He,like Albertas,comes here with plenty to prove after a few niggles and with age not being on his side as well then im afraid that this time i cant have him.RIVERSIDE THEATRE is my idea of the winner.Lovely comeback at Ascot,he will love the drying ground and with few chase miles on the clock he could well be still improving,course is a slight concern as he has shown his very best on flatter tracks but his overall profile suggests that he is sure to go well.

3.20 The best head to head of the whole meeting.The long distance hurdling legend that is BIG BUCKS taking on the rising star Oscar Whisky.The champ needs no introduction-hes the best stayer ive ever or probably will ever see,a true superstar.Oscar Whisky has top form over shorter but he needs to go up another notch if hes going to trouble Big Bucks.IF this trip holds no terrors for the challenger then he will be a danger,no question,but Big Bucks seems to save a bit for himself and i really dont think weve seen him fully extended,that being the case he may actually be better than his 174 rating suggests! Tough assignment for both horses but i cant look beyond the Nicholls flag bearer.

4.00 NOTUS DE LA TOUR might be in light here off 144,cracking novice runs in the top grade ,some on really bad ground ,probably havent shown him in his true light.This better ground will help and hes run well at the Festival before.He represents a vfm ew bet.

4.40 Ferdy has a great record in these sort of events and THE HOLLINWELL seems to fit the profile.His form is certainly sporadic but his run at Newcastle behind Hey Big Spender was a cracking effort,he will love the sounder surface and the likely strong gallop as he can be a bit "free" at times.As long as he doest get too far back early on then i can see him finishing to good effect up the final climb.

racingnut

Back to top Go down

Cheltenham Festival - Thursday / Ryanair Chase, World Hurdle... Empty Re: Cheltenham Festival - Thursday / Ryanair Chase, World Hurdle...

Post by Captain Charisma Sat 10 Mar 2012, 11:46 pm

Win Lay or Each Way

Win- Great Endeavour (My bet of the festival.......have a good feeling bout him)

Lay- Peddlers Cross (He's obviously not what he was, if he was right he'd be in the Arkle)

Each Way- Voler La Vedette (Fantastic mare who Andrew Lynch does especially well on.........her best year yet. She will be third and might ruffle Oscar Whiskey for second. She will probably be ridden for a place too with another trip to Presenting in the offing)

Captain Charisma

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 14 Mar 2012, 8:44 pm

Jewson. Have backed Peddlers Cross to place. One of my favourites and at his best I think he'd be too good but just a niggle that he aint right. Might back Sirs des champs.

Ryanair Great race and I've gone for Somersby. Another fav of mine despite him being hard to follow at times. Good festival record and looked good last time out vs Finian's Rainbow.

World Hurdle Don't agree that this is a 2 horse race and half thinking of laying Oscar's Whisky to place. Hasn't shown that he'll stay and was hanging on for dear life from Thousand stars at Aintree over 2m4. Ex Champion hurdlers dont have a good record in this and with the likes of Dynaste, Voler and the Willie Mullins runners I dont think Oscars Whisky is a good thing to be top 2. Backed Thousand Stars ew without Big Bucks but cant see past the champion who I've doubled up with Quevega. I realise that Thousand Stars is also an ex champion hurdler but has at least shown he will stay in the French Champion Hurdle.

Currently trawling through the handicaps..

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 15 Mar 2012, 8:53 am

Seriously struggling with the first race.

Peddlers, Sir Des and Solix all have appeal? Any help!?!!?

Tempted to do a Reverse Forecast on Big Bucks and Oscar Whiskey and fancy Swing Bill in the 4.40.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:47 am

I would normally say Peddlers Cross but his last run, albeit behind Sprinter Sacre, wasn't good. He apparently wasn't right that day though but he would be the caution choice.

Today's Pricewise selections are:-

Sergent Guib's 11-1 2.05
Pineau De Re 33-1 2.05
Thousand Stars 12-1 3.20
Hector's Choice 16-1 4.00
Sunnyhillboy 8-1 4.40
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:48 am

They seem to think he's over those problems though?

What do you make of Solix? Could Geraghty get another winner?

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by racingnut Thu 15 Mar 2012, 10:06 am

If Peddlers runs to anywhere close to his hurdles rating then this is a forgone conclusion,dont buy the rubbish that they dodged the Arkle,he didnt go there because he COULDNT beat Sprinter Sacre,a bit like Oscar Whisky not going for the Champion Hurdle.Its pointless going for a target that you CANT win when theres alternatives that play more to your strengths.

racingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 15 Mar 2012, 10:12 am

I think i might go for Peddlers, just leaves a e/w bet, which would leave Solix or Sir Des.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:55 am

14.05 - Buena Vista and Cape Tribulation
16.00 - Divers, Holmwood Legend & Niceonefrankie
16.40 - Exmoor Ranger, Midnight Appeal & The Hollingwell

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 15 Mar 2012, 2:03 pm

Another winner with Sir Des but what happened to Peddlers? Awful performance!

Our Father next.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 15 Mar 2012, 2:51 pm

Our Father let me down but had Riverside Theatre and Albertas Run to place. Nice little 1-2.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Backrower678 Thu 15 Mar 2012, 2:52 pm

What a race that was, Albertas run superb again. But Riverside just had enough, my 1st winner wooooo hoooo. Covers no where near what ive lost though Sad

Backrower678

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 15 Mar 2012, 2:59 pm

I'm slightly up. I should note i'm betting tiny amounts just for fun.

Gone for a reverse forecast on Big Bucks and Oscar Whiskey with Vol backed to place.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Thu 15 Mar 2012, 4:05 pm

Stupid fences - Notus De La Tour.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Thu 15 Mar 2012, 4:12 pm

King Beer wrote:Another winner with Sir Des but what happened to Peddlers? Awful performance!
Peddlers Cross doesn't look the same horse he was last season. Sir Des Champs looks a real good prospect thought having won at the Festival in 2011 and now in 2012. Could he be a Gold Cup contender next year?

Great to see Big Bucks win. A true stayer. Voler La Vedette ran well too. It would have been interesting to see her take on Quevega. Maybe they should look at upgrading the mares' race to become the Mares' Champion Hurdle for next year?
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 15 Mar 2012, 4:21 pm

Backed Salut Flo and Cockney Mackem (Ironic as i'm a Newcastle fan).

Gone for Sunnyhillboy and The Hollinwell!

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 15 Mar 2012, 4:52 pm

Another winner.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Thu 15 Mar 2012, 5:18 pm

2 winners for me today, Riverside & Sunny. Very Happy
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 15 Mar 2012, 5:35 pm

4 for me! Would've been 5 but for Oscar letting down my forecast!

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Thu 15 Mar 2012, 10:44 pm

World hurdle was great. Backed Big Bucks and also doubled him up with Quevega. Laid Oscar Whisky to place and backed Thousand Stars ew w/o Big Bucks..

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down