The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has the Premier League gone full circle?

+11
Scott is Back
All Time Great
Ent
dublfcynwa
JabMachineMK2
legendkillar
sirfredperry
Josiah Maiestas
TopHat24/7
Crimey
Hero
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Has the Premier League gone full circle? - Page 2 Empty Has the Premier League gone full circle?

Post by Guest Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:42 am

First topic message reminder :

I wrote a thread prior to this season explaining why I believed we were heading into the weakest Premier League season in ten years. I would say 8/10 of the responses I got were against my argument and one particular reply suggested that I wait until the European season sorted itself out before we can make a proper and valid valuation of our stock, so to speak, so here we are.

Chelsea may well overcome Napoli in the Champions League and even if they do so does anybody within these boards really believe they have a cat-in-hells chance of winning the damn thing?

Manchester City, who have spent hundreds of millions of pounds just to be able to compete, are a goal down in a European tie against a mediocre Portuguese team who are languishing in fifth place in their own domestic league. A poor league at that.

Manchester Utd were out-passed and out-played against Bilbao in their home tie and were in all honesty lucky to escape with a one goal deficit.

To me the golden years of the Premier League were between 1998 and 2008 where we were able to boast three Champions League Winners albeit via two penalty shoot outs and a last minute winner. Our league was also peppered with world class footballers during that period.

I remember the Premier League during and immediately after its inception and I'm sorry but I see no difference.

Spain is where it's at!!

We have gone backwards.

Cheers guys.

Back to top Go down

Has the Premier League gone full circle? - Page 2 Empty Re: Has the Premier League gone full circle?

Post by d260005p Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:57 am

Including his refusal to take a penalty against a Championship side..........wow, confidence is gone, not just low.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Has the Premier League gone full circle? - Page 2 Empty Re: Has the Premier League gone full circle?

Post by Crimey Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:14 am

Djimi Traore has also won a Champions League medal!

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:45 am

Crimey wrote:Djimi Traore has also won a Champions League medal!

David May is the ultimate biscuit taker in that regard. Remember this picture?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-x8fFlty5xhY/TXj3W9KCtAI/AAAAAAAAKqY/-HkzyJCQuLY/s1600/DM.jpg

Back to top Go down

Post by ReallyReal Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:33 pm

What most people fail to grasp is that while we have a few clubs loaded with debt in England, in Spain and Italy, the vast majority of clubs are within sight of going bust and with the economy the way it is EVERYWHERE and the fact that those 2 countries set their tv revenues on a club by club basis, expect a LOT of their clubs to go to the wall over the next couple of years.
No matter what happens with a possible loss of tv revenue from SKY, the PL makes at least 3 times more worldwide than Serie A or La Liga and the money is spread evenly throughout the league.
Within a few years, the PL, the German and Russian leagues will be the only ones who have any strength in depth.

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by dondelero Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:35 am

The worst recent league season was 2 years ago when although Utd were crippled by unprecedented injuries they only lost the prem by a point to not a very good Chelsea side.

The top clubs have continued to drop their standards and this has given a chance for teams like Spurs and Newcastle to challenge and as a result the league appears to be more competitive although lacking in quality.

Many people use the champs league as a barometer in determining how good a league is. This is however flawed as evidenced by what happened when Liverpool won the champs league in 05. That year they finished nearly 40 points behind eventual champs Chelsea in the league, yet won the champs league. Did this prove that the English league was strong?

How well teams do from a certain country ie spain in essentially a European knock out competition as the champs league, does not necessarily give evidence that said country's league is strong.

dondelero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2