The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worst ref display ever

+29
Cymroglan
freeman lowell
R!skysports
thebluesmancometh
dogtooth
nathan
mankiaow
BigTrevsbigmac
Taylorman
offload
Feckless Rogue
JLyall
eirebilly
nobbled
wonder_man
Barney McGrew did it
red_stag
bedfordwelsh
Hookisms and Hyperbole
GavinDragon
Liam
samuraidragon
maestegmafia
Morgannwg
Shifty
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Biltong
mystiroakey
slartibartfast
33 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Worst ref display ever Empty Worst ref display ever

Post by slartibartfast Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:03 pm

Well, I know going to get slated on this site, but that was the worst ref I've ever seen.

Any one going to defend him?
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Worst ref display ever Empty Re: Worst ref display ever

Post by mystiroakey Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:03 pm

really

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:04 pm

You can stand in line mate, QF world cup. Bruce Lawrence. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:07 pm

Yes.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:09 pm

Clancy?

Hell no, i didn't see too much wrong with him today. In my opinion he is actually one of the few decent Irish officials, if we'd had Dudley then I'd be goggling how to make a noose!

He could of let the game flow, the the Italians didn''t really give a penalty in a position that warranted an Italian yellow. I thought he was basically fair all round.

The yellow was harsh but Halfpenny did not have to charge into the Parassie who was in the air did he? 1/2p chased after it like a lunatic and got caught out, the blame is all his, and Gatland subbing him before he got back off the bin showed what Gatland thought to be honest.

If you want to see REALLY bad refereeing look at David Wilkinson and Dudley Phillips!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:10 pm

Anyone notice the absence of Rolland this 6N?

slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:10 pm

He was whistle happy and it disrupted the flow of the game, incorrect yellow card aside he was okay.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:10 pm

Anyone notice the absence of Rolland this 6N?

slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:12 pm

slartibartfast wrote:Anyone notice the absence of Rolland this 6N?

He is there, but he hasn't refereed in Wales yet, or the Wales national team.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:13 pm

Isnt he reffing England France?

Im surprised he hasnt been given more big games though after the excellent brave decision he made to red Warburton, unlike Barnes who always seems to stuff the big calls despite the best of intentions.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:13 pm

He was the touch judge at the Millenium stadium today wasn't he?

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:16 pm

AlynDavies wrote:Clancy?

Hell no, i didn't see too much wrong with him today. In my opinion he is actually one of the few decent Irish officials, if we'd had Dudley then I'd be goggling how to make a noose!

He could of let the game flow, the the Italians didn''t really give a penalty in a position that warranted an Italian yellow. I thought he was basically fair all round.

The yellow was harsh but Halfpenny did not have to charge into the Parassie who was in the air did he? 1/2p chased after it like a lunatic and got caught out, the blame is all his, and Gatland subbing him before he got back off the bin showed what Gatland thought to be honest.

If you want to see REALLY bad refereeing look at David Wilkinson and Dudley Phillips!

What a load of BS...!

Clancy ruined the match for everyone, on the field and in the stands..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:16 pm

I like a whistle happy ref as long as he picks up all the infringements.

C'mon, that was just putrid. Even the old ladies that have been watching Wales for years were boo'ing

NB . This is not a thread about the yellow card, I was trying to post at half time but the stadium won't let me.
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:18 pm

Griff wrote:He was the touch judge at the Millenium stadium today wasn't he?

I noticed Peter Fitzgibbon there, but he is fairly easy to spot, though Rolland as a linesman is different to Rolland the referee. Though I thought he was doing France V England tomorrow?

maestegmafia wrote:What a load of BS...!

Ok well maybe lets just agree that having had Irish referees all season at the Liberty this season, I have a somewhat different perspective on the quality of Irish reffing than you do... angel

Last edited by AlynDavies on Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:19 pm

clancy did ok IMO...

he may have been a bit quick at time to blow the whistle, but he was consistent for both sides.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:21 pm

slartibartfast wrote: Even the old ladies that have been watching Wales for years were boo'ing

Yeah and the welsh have been sore winners and whingers for years. Whats your point?

The booing of the ref was very unsavoury and doesnt reflect well on the crowd. Its not his fault the Italian defence was forcing turnovers and causing the welsh players to hang on to the ball.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:23 pm

AlynDavies wrote:

I noticed Peter Fitzgibbon there, but he is fairly easy to spot, though Rolland as a linesman is different to Rolland the referee. Though I thought he was doing France V England tomorrow?

Ok well maybe lets just agree that having had Irish referees all season at the Liberty this season, I have a somewhat different perspective on the quality of Irish reffing than you do... angel

No I'm just sick to death of them ruining my rugby with their inadequacy

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:23 pm

He was a stickler at the breakdown, but both sided copped it equally. No choice with the yellow - you can't take out a man in the air. Italy defended like demons. The result was an accurate reflection of the game. Except Parisse could have been MoM.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:26 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
AlynDavies wrote:

No I'm just sick to death of them ruining my rugby with their inadequacy

By them you mean your replacement scrum halves for putting in blocks directly infront of the ref where it couldnt possibly be missed you mean? Widely booed by the crowd for a no brainer call
Take out your frustrations on your team first, then look for other people to blame.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:28 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
slartibartfast wrote: Even the old ladies that have been watching Wales for years were boo'ing

Yeah and the welsh have been sore winners and whingers for years. Whats your point?

The booing of the ref was very unsavoury and doesnt reflect well on the crowd. Its not his fault the Italian defence was forcing turnovers and causing the welsh players to hang on to the ball.

Get a back bone man, don't live off cliches, open your eyes! Make a decision for yourself instead of pandering to the masses.
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:29 pm

maestegmafia wrote:No I'm just sick to death of them ruining my rugby with their inadequacy

We don't have a god given right to stuff Italy by 60 points and score 6 tries mate, they defended for their lives. Wales did everything right, we wore them down, but the unlucky yellow card stopped us putting the icing on the cake.

Look at the positives:

1) Wales won
2) no Welsh player was carried off injured
3) we attacked for 70 minutes of the game, we didnt drain much energy
4) The Welsh scrum was dominant

France have a 6 day turn around before coming to Cardiff, and would of played 3 internationals in 3 weeks.

I'm a very happy Welshman at the moment. Hug
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:33 pm

slartibartfast wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:

Get a back bone man, don't live off cliches, open your eyes! Make a decision for yourself instead of pandering to the masses.

OK ill do that if you lay off the acid Hug

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:35 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:No I'm just sick to death of them ruining my rugby with their inadequacy

We don't have a god given right to stuff Italy by 60 points and score 6 tries mate, they defended for their lives. Wales did everything right, we wore them down, but the unlucky yellow card stopped us putting the icing on the cake.

Look at the positives:

1) Wales won

France have a 6 day turn around before coming to Cardiff, and would of played 3 internationals in 3 weeks.

Hug Alyn you've made my day.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:37 pm

Morgannwg wrote: Hug Alyn you've made my day.
thumbsup
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:48 pm

Gets my stamp of approval too. Wales have every chance of taking the slam, even though its one of the tougher games to go. Just need to sort Preistlands head out.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:53 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Gets my stamp of approval too. Wales have every chance of taking the slam, even though its one of the tougher games to go. Just need to sort Preistlands head out.

Well we could just take it off and stick Stephen Jones one in it's place. laughing
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:56 pm

Clancy didn't have to bad of game. In terms of watching as a spectator, he had a nightmare, in terms of the rules of rugby, he was pretty much spot on. Consistent right through, and although I would debate the yellow, simply because 1/2p had eyes only for the ball, went up at almost the same time, came off worse and it was probably the fact he tried to hold his shorts but i'm not complaining. Like Alyn said, injured players got game time, scrum looked impressive against a very strong scrummaging side, and i'm pretty sure our game plan against the French which will see more running rugby. Nice to see Roberts getting on the scoresheet and keep the faith with Preistland, he was basically the reason why we got as far as we did at the WC. thumbsup

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:00 pm

just my take on it, his interpretation of the laws killed the game as a spectacle and what is more frustrating is that it goes against the trend of many other ref's interpretations....

at ruck time how many times do we here 'ruck hands off' thus killing the contest but allowing the attacking flow of the game...

how many times did we hear it today? He allowed a fair contest at the breakdown and was a stickler for making sure the letter of the law was adhered to...

some people prefer the first interpretation others the latter...i am in the former group

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:02 pm

He still allowed some serious belly flopping in the rucks, so I don't think he was officiating strictly to the letter of the law.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:03 pm

GavinDragon wrote:just my take on it, his interpretation of the laws killed the game as a spectacle and what is more frustrating is that it goes against the trend of many other ref's interpretations....

at ruck time how many times do we here 'ruck hands off' thus killing the contest but allowing the attacking flow of the game...

how many times did we hear it today? He allowed a fair contest at the breakdown and was a stickler for making sure the letter of the law was adhered to...

some people prefer the first interpretation others the latter...i am in the former group

The job of the referee is not to provide a spectacle- that is up to the players. The referee played to the book and the laws of the game. I really don't see that as being a 'bad' referee [not that I am picking on you for saying this as I know that's not what you said]

Last edited by Hookisms and Hyperbole on Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:04 pm

GavinDragon wrote:just my take on it, his interpretation of the laws killed the game as a spectacle and what is more frustrating is that it goes against the trend of many other ref's interpretations....

Sure but I think if Halfpenny had not got yellow carded and we had got 2 more tries as a result, the same people who are unhappy would of said we wore them down, and killed them off when they were tired.

Italy only take 1 beating a year and Ireland gave it to them, so it was unlikely we would really smash them too.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:04 pm

First half I thought he was good and fair last 20 he seemed to lose the plot a bit.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:09 pm

Even if Clancy was poor (I didnt see the match) I am willing to bet my right arm it was not the worst ref display in the last 12 months - never mind ever.

Thats just silly exaggeration and makes it hard to take your point seriosly.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:24 pm

So it's 'Wales win rugby game, welsh guy blames ref" then.

Personally I prefer ref-bashing confined to the losing side.

If you're talking about the yellow - it was always going to be a yellow.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:34 pm

Clancy pinged everything, so I'll take that. That's down to our Captain and our coaches to make us whiter than White in my view. To be fair to Clancy, he set his stall out early so that's down to us to wise up to it.

Was it a yellow? Maybe not, but I guarantee if the roles were reversed we'd be wanting yellow for Parisse

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:36 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Clancy pinged everything, so I'll take that. That's down to our Captain and our coaches to make us whiter than White in my view. To be fair to Clancy, he set his stall out early so that's down to us to wise up to it.

Was it a yellow? Maybe not, but I guarantee if the roles were reversed we'd be wanting yellow for Parisse

Here here Rev, can't argue with that at all, had a heated debate with someone in the pub saying he would never have called for an Italian to be binned is roles reversed - borad won't let me sat what I said to him lol
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:43 pm

AlynDavies wrote:

Look at the positives:

1) Wales won

You are talking out your backside..!

Territory, pocession all Wales. Italy over one hundred tackles more than Wales. Penalty count was apparently 13 all...!

Find one game in the history of rugby that's ever had those stats.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wonder_man Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:51 pm

The ref was technically correct, but if you look hard enough you'll find a pen at every breakdown. Didn't let the game flow at all

wonder_man

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:03 pm

I only saw one occasion where the ref didn't penalise a player for sealing off - and it lead to the Welsh try....
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:10 pm

nobbled wrote:I only saw one occasion where the ref didn't penalise a player for sealing off - and it lead to the Welsh try....
Well it was very hard to stay awake once it was obvious Clancy considered himself more important than the rugby match he was adjudicating.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:11 pm

maestegmafia wrote:You are talking out your backside..!

Territory, pocession all Wales. Italy over one hundred tackles more than Wales. Penalty count was apparently 13 all...!

SA 75% territory - Australia 25% territory
SA 67% possession - Australia 33% possession
SA meters ran 488 - Australia meters ran 284
SA break and defenders beaten 14 - Australia breaks and defenders beaten 7
SA offloads 17 - Australia offloads 5
SA tackles 54 - Australia 151
Sa turnovers conceded 24 - Australia turn overs conceded 11
SA penalties 4 - australia penalties 5
Sa line outs lost 0 - Australia line outs lost 5
SA scrums lost 0 - Australia scrums lost 1

SA penalties conceded before QF 34 - Australia 41

When SA were playing with less than 40% of the territory and possession against Wales they got penalsed twice as much as Wales.
When Namibia had little possession against SA they got penalised 3 times as much as SA
when Australia had less than 50% possession and territory against Ireland they had 1.5 times as many penalties conceded as Ireland

Last edited by biltongbek on Sat 10 Mar 2012, 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:11 pm

Ok I'm going to give this topic a miss then thumbsdown

Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:13 pm

biltongbek wrote:

SA 75% territory - Australia 25% territory
SA 67% possession - Australia 33% possession
SA meters ran 488 - Australia meters ran 284
SA break and defenders beaten 14 - Australia breaks and defenders beaten 7
SA offloads 17 - Australia offloads 5
SA tackles 54 - Australia 151
Sa turnovers conceded 24 - Australia turn overs conceded 11
SA penalties 4 - australia penalties 5
Sa line outs lost 0 - Australia line outs lost 5
SA scrums lost 0 - Australia scrums lost 1

SA penalties conceded before QF 34 - Australia 41

When SA were playing with less than 40% of the territory and possession against Wales they got penalsed twice as much as Wales.
When Namibia had little possession against SA they got penalised 3 times as much as SA
when Australia had less than 50% possession and territory against Ireland they had 1.5 times as many penalties conceded as Ireland

Yep, that was singely the worst referee performance i have ever seen. I have never seen a ref, ref a team out of a match as badly as he did against SA.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:19 pm

Wales   Italy
2 Tries 0
1 from 2 Conversion goals 0 from 0
4 from 4 Penalty goals 1 from 1
83.3% Kick at goal success 100.0%
0 Dropped goals 0

Kick/pass/run
29 Kicks from hand 38
182 Passes 81
113 Runs 62
438 Metres run with ball 163

Attacking
62% Possession 38%
68% Territory 32%
7 Clean breaks 0
15 Defenders beaten 1
7 Offloads 4
96 from 108 (88.9%) Rucks won 49 from 56 (87.5%)
5 from 5 (100.0%) Mauls won 3 from 3 (100.0%)
14 Turnovers conceded 11

Defensive
48/1 Tackles made/missed 133/15
98.0% Tackling success rate 89.9%

Set pieces
4 won, 0 lost (100.0%) Scrums on own feed 5 won, 2 lost (71.4%)
12 won, 2 lost (85.7%) Lineouts on own throw 12 won, 3 lost (80.0%)

Discipline
13 Penalties conceded 13

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:24 pm

red_stag wrote:Even if Clancy was poor (I didnt see the match) I am willing to bet my right arm it was not the worst ref display in the last 12 months - never mind ever.

Thats just silly exaggeration and makes it hard to take your point seriosly.

How can you judge if you didn't see the match?

C'mon guys, just be truthful to your eyes

slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:28 pm

start i have seen so many worse reffed games- a 21 pooints victory was about right , the better team won. he made a few errors, but what ever you think - almost half the games at the RWC 2011 were worsely reffed than that one!! and they cost the better teams as well!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:30 pm

Clancy should be tried for crimes against rugby, feel so sorry for the paying fans,
they went to watch a game of rugby not a man mince around and ignore the breakdown and reset scrums.

Well done Wales maturity shone through in the end and still come away with the win

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:32 pm

Congats view, now go on and win the GS mate OK
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by JLyall Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:34 pm

im not a fan of Clancy, very pedantic and I don't rate him at the breakdown, but he is a lot better than Fitzgibbon. Still, Rolland is by far and away the best Irish official.

Being a Scot, Wayne Barnes is definitely not my most favourite ref

JLyall

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:40 pm

JLyall wrote:im not a fan of Clancy, very pedantic and I don't rate him at the breakdown, but he is a lot better than Fitzgibbon. Still, Rolland is by far and away the best Irish official.

Being a Scot, Wayne Barnes is definitely not my most favourite ref

jeebus... really Shocked

He is French Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next