The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kidney's record as Irish coach

+41
Croyman
Mickado
majesticimperialman
humphstheman
Golden
ChequeredJersey
dragonbreath
Artful_Dodger
The Great Aukster
geoff998rugby
red_stag
mr-bryns-attitude
clivemcl
Ozzy3213
Shifty
Sin é
Biltong
Thomond
Pot Hale
SecretFly
LeinsterFan4life
geoff999rugby
eirebilly
Gibson
asoreleftshoulder
dublin_dave
valjester
pete (buachaill on eirne)
BlueMuff
Notch
aucklandlaurie
Irishhoneymonster
Standulstermen
hugo124
Knowsit17
TycroesOsprey
ME-109
Goosestepper
wales606
Feckless Rogue
45 posters

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Kidney's record as Irish coach - Page 10 Empty Kidney's record as Irish coach

Post by Feckless Rogue Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

2009: 5 wins
2010: 3 wins
2011: 3 wins
2012: 2 wins

We're getting progressively worse. For 2 years Kidney's been criticized for apparently having no gameplan. But this year and today particularly we have seen a gameplan emerge. And unfortunately it's what we all knew was all Kidney knew. Kick the ball up in the air and chase it. And that's it.

At the same time the Irish provinces are tearing teams apart with the best attacking rugby in Europe. Kidney is way out of his depth at this level, and is making Ireland a lot less than the sum of their parts. Which is the opposite of what a coach should do. Meanwhile Leinster are playing like the All Blacks. Why?

Joe Schmidt
Jono Gibbes
Greg Feek
and previously Kurt McQuilkin
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Kidney's record as Irish coach - Page 10 Empty Re: Kidney's record as Irish coach

Post by eirebilly Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:31 pm

Stag, i believe that Kidney is a very good coach, just not the right coach for Ireland right now.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Kidney's record as Irish coach - Page 10 Empty Re: Kidney's record as Irish coach

Post by Golden Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:31 pm

Sin é wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Sin é wrote:
He had a good season in 2009. SOB was only emerging in '10 and he has to start as he is a useless bench option.

So he's undroppable no matter how poorly he plays.

No, he can be dropped if SOB or Leamy are both fit as they have played international rugby at 8 and no one else is doing it now. Maybe Roger Wilson might put a bit of pressure on him now that he will be back for Ulster.

We have SOB, Ruddock, Wallace, POM, Henry, Wilson, Muldoon who can play at 8 and most have been comfortably better than leamy for a while.

Hes had 4 seasons to pick his squad and get them to play his gameplan. If the players arent good enough to play his way he should find some who are or change the game plan to suit the players. He has done neither. If he hasnt done it in four years in charge what is going to change next season or the season after??

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:33 pm

And I'd agree with you Billy.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:33 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
eirebilly wrote:

If that is the mindset then i am concerned about the future. I have always imagined the pinnacle to be representing your country. If players are only motivated and happy when playing for their province then Ireland are in serious trouble.

Why do you think it's an either/or situation.Why can't a player feel that winning with his province is the pinnacle of his career yet still give 100% to the cause when playing for Ireland or the Lions or whoever else they play with?

I dont think that its an either/or situation. I salute players for being proud of winning things with their province but there is an issue when they cant seem to get motivated to play for Ireland.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:34 pm

red_stag wrote:And I'd agree with you Billy.

Shocked My god, this rarely happens Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:34 pm

You see, this is part of the problem. Roger Wilson might put pressure on him now he's with Ulster; he's still been excellent for Northampton. He's not going to be any better next year.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:35 pm

red_stag wrote:Some of what we have works. Kidney has not made that many blunders but the ones he has done have been significant and in areas he has done well in the past.

Since day one Kidney has done a poor job recruiting a solid backs coach. Thats always been Kidneys strenght - surround himself with right people. Didnt work with Gaffney and has not in anyone to remedy things. His other mistake was in man management. He has actually done a very good job in some positions creating depth and competition but not others - namely centre and second row. When the game sped up and the coaching teams Grandslam winning game plan was not working he needed new men in his coaching team - which we didnt see.

I believe Kidney could genuinely salvage things and do quite well. I am not sure he should be given the chance to though.

Gaffney was hired to reassure the Leinster players (he was Leinster coach at the time) and counter Kidney's Munster origins. No coaching staff made his coaching team from Munster. Two came from Leinster - Gaffney & McNaughton. They really are very 'needy'.

You think Kidney could do well, yet you think he shouldn't be given the chance. (Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush). Wink
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:35 pm

Sin é wrote:

1. DOD, Sin e, BM
All non-Leinster players are not rubbish and that's not Kidney's fault. [fixed that for you]

You didn't fix anything you just twisted his sentence to suit yourself,everyone of us agrees that the non Leinster players aren't rubbish so we wouldn't be having a debate if that's what you and DOD were posting.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:37 pm

Sin é wrote:
Gaffney was hired to reassure the Leinster players (he was Leinster coach at the time) and counter Kidney's Munster origins.

Can you give us a link or post some proof of this otherwise I'll just assume you're making it up.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:37 pm

SinE I suggest forget about Munster and Leinster for a while.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:39 pm

Sin é wrote:

Gaffney was hired to reassure the Leinster players (he was Leinster coach at the time) and counter Kidney's Munster origins. No coaching staff made his coaching team from Munster. Two came from Leinster - Gaffney & McNaughton. They really are very 'needy'.

You think Kidney could do well, yet you think he shouldn't be given the chance. (Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush). Wink

Thats a nice way to twist things Sin.

eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:42 pm

notch we cannot keep blanking players who ply their trade abroad as a preference to picking splinters out of their backsides for a province.

Last year on merit Downey and Wilson should have been very close to the 22 and were 40 minutes from an unbeaten HC campaign in which they played key roles.

Stringer is still a better scrum half then TOL. If Andress has a great 3 months can we really afford to ignore him purely on the basis of where he plays. just an example, il confess to knowing little about Andress.

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:42 pm

Golden wrote:
Sin é wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Sin é wrote:
He had a good season in 2009. SOB was only emerging in '10 and he has to start as he is a useless bench option.

No, he can be dropped if SOB or Leamy are both fit as they have played international rugby at 8 and no one else is doing it now. Maybe Roger Wilson might put a bit of pressure on him now that he will be back for Ulster.

We have SOB, Ruddock, Wallace, POM, Henry, Wilson, Muldoon who can play at 8 and most have been comfortably better than leamy for a while.

Hes had 4 seasons to pick his squad and get them to play his gameplan. If the players arent good enough to play his way he should find some who are or change the game plan to suit the players. He has done neither. If he hasnt done it in four years in charge what is going to change next season or the season after??

Yea right, Ruddock looks great up against Aironi and Muldoon has been playing Blindside for most the season when not injured (coming into the world cup).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:44 pm

Sin é wrote:
Golden wrote:
Sin é wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Yea right, Ruddock looks great up against Aironi and Muldoon has been playing Blindside for most the season when not injured (coming into the world cup).

Why don't you answer his question "Hes had 4 seasons to pick his squad and get them to play his gameplan. If the players arent good enough to play his way he should find some who are or change the game plan to suit the players. He has done neither. If he hasnt done it in four years in charge what is going to change next season or the season after??"

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:46 pm

You are right Fly.

a. Does anyone think the IRFU are even considering parting company with Kidney?
b. If not, could Kiss/Smal be replaced?
c. How badly do we need a scrum coach/backs coach/fitness coach?
d. Would we improve if we completely replaced the coaching team?
e. Who would be the favoured candidates?"

a. Not yet. They will give him to the end of his contract. But, there must be rumblings of it - within the IRFU. He has failed his remit. The very one they wrote for him. In business - he would be sacked immediately.
b. They could & should be. We need fresh minds & eyes. Its gone stale.
c. They are busy with the scrum coach - in fairness. YES to all the rest.
d. Only if we got a head coach in, who is given all IRFU backing to get his own team in. Has to be. In tandem,maybe consult World Rugby people who KNOW. IRFU havent a feicing clue. They've proved that with EOS and Deccie.
e. Ive mentioned a few already - midst the pointless bickering. Head coach - Schmidt, Richards, O Shea. On the coaching team: McQuilkan, Gibbes... maybe Axel, when he gets more experience. For the rest, I dunno. We badly need innovaters now. That's for sure. This period and the decisions we make in it, will affect us long into the future. It is crucial we dont screw up and needlessly waste even more years. Again.

Wouldnt want Cheika anywhere even near the coaching team. Be a nightmare. He's too divisive.

Last edited by Gibson on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:51 pm; edited 4 times in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:46 pm

Sin é wrote:
red_stag wrote:Some of what we have works. Kidney has not made that many blunders but the ones he has done have been significant and in areas he has done well in the past.

Since day one Kidney has done a poor job recruiting a solid backs coach. Thats always been Kidneys strenght - surround himself with right people. Didnt work with Gaffney and has not in anyone to remedy things. His other mistake was in man management. He has actually done a very good job in some positions creating depth and competition but not others - namely centre and second row. When the game sped up and the coaching teams Grandslam winning game plan was not working he needed new men in his coaching team - which we didnt see.

I believe Kidney could genuinely salvage things and do quite well. I am not sure he should be given the chance to though.

Time. We don't have time. This decade is now two years old. Success has to be measured using some measuring tool - so let's say we should do it on a 10 yearly basis. We are 8th in world rankings (and that is becoming a consistent position - it's not a fluke drop; we were 8th going to the WC too), we have to meet New Zealand three times, next WC is in England and we just don't have the leisure to wait for Kidney to turn it around. Can we guaratee a turn around? No, certainly not in the way he chooses his team or the persistent determination to play a containing, defensive game. We don't have time.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:47 pm

red_stag wrote:

O'Sullivan may have salvaged things after 2008 doesnt mean he deserved the chance to try or that he would have improved at all.

The system needs fresh blood and ideas.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:47 pm

RubyGuby wrote:I think Nick Mallett is going to be free, if you guys have the money get John Kirwan on board to. Personally I would go for Michael Chekai (apologies for spelling) - I think the guy knows Irish rugby inside out and maybe Ruddock for the forwards. Be bold - Connor OShea is also a wily tactician - Get the dream team in now and plan for the next 5 years thumbsup

Chekai
Ruddock
Kirwan thumbsup

If Lancaster gets the England job;

John Kirwan, Mike Ruddock, Nick Mallett, Michael Cheika, Dean Ryan and others are looking for employment. Even someone like Jake White is at the Brumbies might want to get back into the test team.

Think they should invite the current coaches to interview for their current jobs with a view to the best candidate taking the team on after the tour. If Kidney is the best candidate then, yes, fair play. If there is a better man available we can look at that.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:52 pm

I'd love to see us go for Guy Noves,never gonna happen but would be a real quality appointment.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:54 pm

Ruddock has taken Wales to a SLAM and has done well with his Irish remit. Why not keep him and promote him to the Senior team? But, not as Head coach.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:55 pm

Lads - i presume feeks contract has run out given the IRFU are very publicly looking for a scrum coach??

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:56 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:I'd love to see us go for Guy Noves,never gonna happen but would be a real quality appointment.

Oh yes please!

But, you cut him and he bleeds Toulouse. He'd have to be drugged to leave em.

Actually, a French coach on the team is a great call.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:57 pm

I would like to see Ruddock as a coach in the senior team.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:58 pm

dublin_dave wrote:Lads - i presume feeks contract has run out given the IRFU are very publicly looking for a scrum coach??

Quote form RTE website "The successful candidate will be chiefly responsible for implementing a new scrum programme at the country's academies"

I don't think the appointment is for national team scrum coach.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:58 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Gaffney was hired to reassure the Leinster players (he was Leinster coach at the time) and counter Kidney's Munster origins.

Can you give us a link or post some proof of this otherwise I'll just assume you're making it up.

It was much discussed at the time on forums like this. Go looking for it yourself, I'm sure you will find lots of it on the Leinster forum. Some of the Leinster camp were openly critical of Kidney getting the job as Ireland coach (reggie corrigan & Mal O'Kelly for two). It was said was the reason why Ireland ended up with McNaughton who apparently had got on well with Kidney when at Leinster. You might note that Kidney has never been popular with the Leinster supporters.

Added to that, no one was especially sorry to see Gaffney head back to Australia after his 3 years in Munster so it was an amazing appointment really.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:59 pm

dublin_dave wrote:Lads - i presume feeks contract has run out given the IRFU are very publicly looking for a scrum coach??

They are Dave. They have advertised for one. I hope this doesn't prolong Deccies tenure. Maybe they feel they owe him, due to the lack of support recently.

Christ!
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:00 pm

ah right. fair enough.

any good backs coaches out there. Id go anyone with reasonable pedigree from Aus or New Zealand. Aus consistently perform wonders in the backs without a real platform. They are very innovative when they get the ball. Albeit we did a royal job on them in the WC

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:01 pm

Sin é wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Sin é wrote:

It was much discussed at the time on forums like this. Go looking for it yourself, I'm sure you will find lots of it on the Leinster forum. Some of the Leinster camp were openly critical of Kidney getting the job as Ireland coach (reggie corrigan & Mal O'Kelly for two). It was said was the reason why Ireland ended up with McNaughton who apparently had got on well with Kidney when at Leinster. You might note that Kidney has never been popular with the Leinster supporters.

Added to that, no one was especially sorry to see Gaffney head back to Australia after his 3 years in Munster so it was an amazing appointment really.

Hhmm, not sure about Mal, he was very positive about Kidney
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:02 pm

Notch wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:I think Nick Mallett is going to be free, if you guys have the money get John Kirwan on board to. Personally I would go for Michael Chekai (apologies for spelling) - I think the guy knows Irish rugby inside out and maybe Ruddock for the forwards. Be bold - Connor OShea is also a wily tactician - Get the dream team in now and plan for the next 5 years thumbsup

Chekai
Ruddock
Kirwan thumbsup

John Kirwan, Mike Ruddock, Nick Mallett, Michael Cheika, Dean Ryan and others are looking for employment. Even someone like Jake White is at the Brumbies might want to get back into the test team.

Think they should invite the current coaches to interview for their current jobs with a view to the best candidate taking the team on after the tour. If Kidney is the best candidate then, yes, fair play. If there is a better man available we can look at that.

Does Michael Cheika not have a job? Ruddock - is he not too associated with Leinster Wink

Jake White said he had no interest in the England job recently.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:03 pm

Gibson wrote:Ruddock has taken Wales to a SLAM and has done well with his Irish remit. Why not keep him and promote him to the Senior team? But, not as Head coach.

Wiping the sweat from my brow, Gibbo. Am I glad you said that final bit!

I'd accept him in a capacity but I wouldn't be fond of the idea of him as Head. I think often that we are sometimes as guilty of always going back to aging coaches as we are in over-relying on aging players. I'd like something fresh and youthful in coaching terms. Someone on the up rather than someone shifting over or coming back up from once having been up there already.

Experience is one thing, hunger and ambition is another, driven by the energy of youth.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:03 pm

Sin é wrote:

I can show you plenty of discussion on this forum that says Kidney is the main problem in the Irish national team setup,if you'll accept that as proof that Kidney should go then I'll accept your "proof" that Gaffney was appointed to appease the Leinster players.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:03 pm

There is a very good Rugby League coach in Australia. Des Hasler, i think that he would be an excellent attacking coach.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:03 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:

Quote form RTE website "The successful candidate will be chiefly responsible for implementing a new scrum programme at the country's academies"

But Sore, shouldnt the National scrum-coach be doing that anyway? It would make perfect sense. Get them early. Spot who's good. Who's not? Chaaf from wheat? Develop the cream - in conjuction with the provinces? Win-win?

A Holistic approach?

Nah, that would be mad. Too much vision for em.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:05 pm

Gibson wrote:Ruddock has taken Wales to a SLAM and has done well with his Irish remit. Why not keep him and promote him to the Senior team? But, not as Head coach.

He also took worchester down. Wink
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:05 pm

i thought Kidney was a decent appointment and deserved a craic at the Ireland job. He has delivered a grand slam and a number of great performances but just cannot achieve consistency and now we are on a downward spiral. poor results coupled with poor peformances in the green coupled with excellent provincial performances results in epic threads like these.

deccie if he wants to keep his job surely must see that we need a recognised backs coach and throw the rattle out of the pram and say to his bosses that we need a fresh voice in.

If he is not it would give some creedance to the theory that he did not listen to Gaffney after a barrage of knock ons in last years 6 nations. The lack of a back line move of note in the WC warm ups and the WC itself would also back this up.

Im not sure this is true but it is not beyond the realms of possibility.

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:06 pm

eirebilly wrote:There is a very good Rugby League coach in Australia. Des Hasler, i think that he would be an excellent attacking coach.

Now that's thinking outside the box Billy. Excellent idea man. Look cross-code as well.

Fancy a job?

Phone Philip Browne on: 06 09 123...
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:06 pm

Sin é wrote:
Notch wrote:

Chekai
Ruddock
Kirwan thumbsup

Does Michael Cheika not have a job? Ruddock - is he not too associated with Leinster Wink

Michael Cheika was interviewed for the Ulster job. If he was interested in that the Ireland job is surely bigger salary and status?

As for too associated with Munster, too associated with Leinster- seriously, just feic up. This is my country here. Best man for the job regardless of any bullshoite.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:07 pm

Gibson wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

But Sore, shouldnt the National scrum-coach be doing that anyway? It would make perfect sense. Get them early. Spot who's good. Who's not? Chaaf from wheat? Develop the cream - in conjuction with the provinces? Win-win?

A Holistic approach?

Nah, that would be mad. Too much vision for em.

Yeah it should be part of the national team scrum coaches job to do that,I suppose having a part-time appointment like Feek limits that.

Maybe I'm wrong,it's just that the job description as I've read it doesn't seem to include coaching the national team.I haven't really put much research into it though so will gladly accept correction.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:09 pm

eirebilly wrote:
Sin é wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Hhmm, not sure about Mal, he was very positive about Kidney

No, he was not. He was very criticial of his appointment. Some would claim that is why Kidney dropped Mal for his poor time keeping Wink
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:11 pm

Gibson wrote:
eirebilly wrote:There is a very good Rugby League coach in Australia. Des Hasler, i think that he would be an excellent attacking coach.

Now that's thinking outside the box Billy. Excellent idea man. Look cross-code as well.

Fancy a job?

Phone Philip Browne on: 06 09 123...

I am a huge advocate of RL coaches in rugby Gibbo. Their defensive tactics and attacking lines are great.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:14 pm

Sin é wrote:

No, he was not. He was very criticial of his appointment. Some would claim that is why Kidney dropped Mal for his poor time keeping Wink

How do you know this?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:15 pm

Notch wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Notch wrote:

Chekai
Ruddock
Kirwan thumbsup

Michael Cheika was interviewed for the Ulster job. If he was interested in that the Ireland job is surely bigger salary and status?

As for too associated with Munster, too associated with Leinster- seriously, just feic up. This is my country here. Best man for the job regardless of any bullshoite.

Cheika not good enough for Ulster, but good enough for Ireland?
Coaching international is a different kettle of fish to coaching at club level. I think its getting to be a bit like in soccer, an older man's job.

A lot of people banging on here about provinical bias & the need to have an 'outsider'. Having a coach whose son is in contention for a place isn't exactly avoiding that issue.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:19 pm

eirebilly wrote:
Sin é wrote:

How do you know this?

It was joked about at the time. I think Mal criticised Kidney after he was dropped as well for not selecting Leo Cullen!

Definately no love emanating from Mal to Kidney. All goes back to when Kidney coached Leinster.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:21 pm

Ok, but from what i have heard from him, from his own mouth, he has nothing but admiration for Kidney.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:25 pm

Sin é wrote:Coaching international is a different kettle of fish to coaching at club level.

Just what do you mean Sin é? I've made the decision to question all these morsels of wisdom that keep cropping up year in year out without any challenge. Just what does that mean Sin é? What's the differences, and what's the separate qualities a International coach needs that transcends the qualities of the humble club coach?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:39 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Sin é wrote:Coaching international is a different kettle of fish to coaching at club level.

Just what do you mean Sin é? I've made the decision to question all these morsels of wisdom that keep cropping up year in year out without any challenge. Just what does that mean Sin é? What's the differences, and what's the separate qualities a International coach needs that transcends the qualities of the humble club coach?

Some international coaches will say that they miss the day-to-day involvement with a club side to continually being away from home staying in hotels. Then you also have to deal with playing the cards that you are dealt - for example, Leinster being able to bring in Brad Thorn or Saracens getting Peter Stringer when they had a couple of injuries.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:39 pm

SecretFly wrote:

Look to Kidney as a prime example for the 1st thing SIN has said, that actually contributes anything to this particular debate. Great provincial coach - in his era and in his time. But, has been found out at international level. There is no point in the IRFU giving him the best backs & forwards coaches on the Planet to utilise. He will still play the same way.Default = Conservative. Will still let older players fall off the edge. And will still make the wrong selections - based on loyalty. He is also tactically inept in the modern game. Gatland has proved it time & time again. He HAS to go, if we are to have any chance of being a side to be proud of on the World Stage. 6-N level - should be a given and he cant even do that.

Lets carry on talking new coaches. He's had his go. Get the crook out.

Last edited by Gibson on Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Ah fly you can't seriously expect him to justify these statements? Can't you just accept as fact he wouldn't make them like. Whistle

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:19 pm

Sin é wrote:
Some international coaches will say that they miss the day-to-day involvement with a club side to continually being away from home staying in hotels. Then you also have to deal with playing the cards that you are dealt - for example, Leinster being able to bring in Brad Thorn or Saracens getting Peter Stringer when they had a couple of injuries.

International coaching isn't easy - but it's still about a style of play and the players chosen to play it. A method. Clubs have their difficulties in having to teach as well as try to win. They need to put out their rookies to gain experience or else they fall flat one or two years down the line. So often clubs have to play below their abilities in order to keep the long-view approach alive. Provincial coaching in Ireland also has the pressures of trying to manage the demands of the IRFU (rest periods for their stars etc) Club coaching also takes risks in bringing in people like Brad Thorn. He might be a hero, he might be a villain - it might be predictable that he'll be the former but there is never a guarantee.

International isn't more stressful or difficult it's just that the difficulties have a different emphasis. Not a step up, as some often suggest here, but a step over.

Maybe if Kidney used some club memories he might be more effective. Don't rely on his A team so often, give his juniors a go - allow them to learn by action rather than theory, ensuring better rest periods for his A team squad in the process, and having a more fluid union within his squad that can then move more smoothly to the future.

But no, he entangles himself in the 'seriousness' of his responsibility and resists the urge to develop his team, choosing rather to let it stagnate until injuries freshen it up. Virtually all changes made to his side since before the WC are due to injury. He actually needs to remember his 'club' past if he is to get himself out of his International fix.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:19 pm

Was there not a few onhere that said kidney would go of his own accord if things were dire and he had little to offer? I would suggest things are dire and the vast majority of fans think he has little offer.

We should actually make this into a poll.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next