The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...?

+29
Dontheman
Smirnoffpriest
ScarletSpiderman
B91212
Knowsit17
dragonbreath
gowales
ChequeredJersey
pontylad
dogtooth
Ozzy3213
Messymesina
gregortree
thebluesmancometh
HERSH
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Rava
mystiroakey
eirebilly
offload
slartibartfast
Biltong
TBJ9625
Comfort
SubsBench
BigTrevsbigmac
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
nobbled
maestegmafia
33 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who was your man?

Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Vote_lcap0%Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Vote_lcap1%Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Vote_lcap3%Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Vote_lcap0%Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Vote_lcap5%Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 4 ]
Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Vote_lcap4%Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Vote_lcap31%Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 24 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Vote_lcap3%Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
[ 0 ]
Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Vote_lcap9%Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 7 ]
Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Vote_lcap36%Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 28 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Vote_lcap1%Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 77

Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Empty Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...?

Post by maestegmafia Sun 18 Mar 2012, 10:45 pm

It's over...!

And again what a magnificent feeling it is to win a Grandslam. We have a special squad of players who have achieved some remarkable feats.

Pick whether you adore the great tacklers, the wonderful runners, the tickers, the turnovers or the kickers, they all played a part.

But who was your man?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Empty Re: Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...?

Post by Guest Sun 18 Mar 2012, 10:46 pm

This was such a tough choice, but I opted for 1/2p in the end, just down to the fact that he played in every match, and Lydiate missed the first one.

Both were instrumental to our wins though, two fantastic players.

Back to top Go down

Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...? Empty Re: Who was your Welsh player of the Grandslam...?

Post by nobbled Sun 18 Mar 2012, 10:50 pm

Lydiate. Immense.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 18 Mar 2012, 10:51 pm

Has to be Wayne Barnes Run

Halfpenny

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 18 Mar 2012, 10:53 pm

Andy Powell 20%

chin

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 18 Mar 2012, 11:05 pm

Pretty tough..!

Most of the key players have a good case to plug..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 18 Mar 2012, 11:21 pm

Ben Morgan

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 18 Mar 2012, 11:27 pm

I think stand up point prover of the tournament for Wales has to be Cuthbert. Hes the one name that looked like a bit of a place filler in the first choice 15 coming into the tournament.
The try against France...you wont see Strettle do that.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Sun 18 Mar 2012, 11:28 pm

Others may have attracted the glory such as Halfpenny with his goal kicking and defence or Cuthburt scoring tries but personally I'd pick Ryan Jones. After a couple of years of poor performances, he played brilliantly. Could have had 2 MOTM awards in my opinion, he was fantastic against Ireland and despite being dropped to the bench he made a big impact in each game when he came on. Have'nt been a fan of his for a few years but he changed my mind this year.

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 19 Mar 2012, 1:01 am

adam jones.

after watching that irish scrum be destroyed i couldn't help but shudder at the thought of seeing him go off injured.

Craig Mitchell's an able deputy, Pul James is not on the TH, the sooner we get 23 man benches, the better!

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Mon 19 Mar 2012, 6:59 am

has to be Ryan Jones for me. Should have been MOM against Ireland. Was outstanding in the 2nd row against Scotland and then made a huge impact everytime he came on. He's played in 3 different positions, they the quality of yr bench can win you the game, well that man has found his form again!
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 19 Mar 2012, 7:04 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:I think stand up point prover of the tournament for Wales has to be Cuthbert. Hes the one name that looked like a bit of a place filler in the first choice 15 coming into the tournament.
The try against France...you wont see Strettle do that.

+1 thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 19 Mar 2012, 7:46 am

Cuthbert definitely best new comer. Many were sceptical of his selection but he has proved very good.

Halfpenny litterally puts his life on the line every match for Wales. Kicks goals. Not to much of a slow coach either.

Jon Davies, a rock in the centre, quick great offensive defence how many times has he rushed up, big tackle and we turn over ball.

Daniel Lydiate. What a monster tackler, this guy is sublime. Two man Of the match awards.

Toby Faletau. Does everything and more very well...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 19 Mar 2012, 7:48 am

Ryan jones best season since 2005.

Gethin, the fourth backrower

Adam jones the foundation on which results are built on.

Ian Evans stealing opposition line out ball and being a nuisance around the pitch.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Mon 19 Mar 2012, 8:06 am

I still think the Ireland game was the best match of the tournament.

Once Wales won that they knew the grandslam was on and dare not lose another match.

Lydiate was my choice. But warbs and 1/2p try saving efforts are close second

slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 19 Mar 2012, 8:07 am

Ryan Jones. Superb every minute he was on the field and he came on at crucial times when we needed something special. Others were excellent but Ryan made THE difference.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 19 Mar 2012, 8:13 am

I know that Dan Lydiate missed the first game but for the rest of them he was immense. His performance on Saturday alone was the best individual performance of the 6N.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 19 Mar 2012, 8:17 am

1/2p

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 19 Mar 2012, 8:29 am

I popped in to give my vote to Alex Cuthbert. Quiet start to the tournament and was overshadowed by North but was immense in the last two games and looks to have a great future.

Special mention for Gethin Jenkins. I though he was MOM on Saturday.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 19 Mar 2012, 8:38 am

Toughie, with so many good performers. I've gone for Ian Evans cos I think we all thought that the Welsh lineout could be vulnerable, but he held it together clap Lydiate would have been my second choice and Adam Jones my third, but we knew what those to could do already OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:46 am

Lock is looking half decent for Wales. Good players but need to improve the line out work throughout the forwards.

Brad Davies, Alun Wynn Jones, Luke Charteris and Ian Evand is a decent start. Add to that Ryan Jones and young guys like Mcauley Cook we are starting to find a bit of depth in a position we really struggled in previously.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:53 am

Jonathan Davies for me.

Can't believe he is so low on the list?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:54 am

For me I was really impressed with the bench options and the boys who had to come in through injury.

Ryan Jones offered something everytime he took the feild, as did Ken Owens in the last 2.
You know we're in a decent position when Hook can only come off the bench! Also Scott Williams pushed on...

Then theres Shinglar and Tipuric who slotted straight into their units seemlessly!

There were so many stand out players, but with selection and use of bench my most important man of the tourny has to go to Gatland himself!

OK

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:56 am

Not to mention Gill, Ian Evans, and Cuthbert who were all contraversial choices pre tournament!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:02 am

Englishman allowed to vote ?
Hard call as the loosies need an honourable mention, and also my fellow Englishman Cuthbert.
But in the end I picked 1/2p as I just like the cut of this young man's jib.
And those courageous long kicks, pretty awesome performance from a nice young player.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Messymesina Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:41 am

Adam Jones. He is the foundation upon which everything else is built.

Messymesina

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:44 am

Messymesina wrote:Adam Jones. He is the foundation upon which everything else is built.

+1
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:57 am

who voted for andy powell? Erm
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by pontylad Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:42 pm

dogtooth wrote:who voted for andy powell? Erm
His mother ? Just voted for Lydiate on the official site but would give it to Halfpeny here because he deserves something. The release of emotion on his face after he kicked that long one on Saturday was something to behold you could see a particular World Cup demon being exorcised rightout of him.

pontylad

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:48 pm

Halfpenny. If he doesn't start for the Lions somewhere, some selectors are not doing their jobs
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 19 Mar 2012, 1:00 pm

I am surprised to see halfpenny so far ahead. Not undeservedly but I thought this debate/poll would be more contentious.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 19 Mar 2012, 1:13 pm

Lydiate for me, so consistant and dominant Very Happy. Didn't vote for Halfpenny because i was never really confident with him under the high ball, i still feel wing is his best position to be honest.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 19 Mar 2012, 1:14 pm

gowales wrote:Lydiate for me, so consistant and dominant Very Happy. Didn't vote for Halfpenny because i was never really confident with him under the high ball, i still feel wing is his best position to be honest.

You have high standards
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 19 Mar 2012, 1:21 pm

Not really, i just think that being comfortable under the high ball is one of the most important jobs for a fullback. Don't get me wrong, he played well in every other facet of the game.

I would still put Kearney and Foden ahead of him for lions test fullback.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Mon 19 Mar 2012, 2:49 pm

Even though I voted for Lydiate I am surprised that Ianto hasn't got more votes. While not perfect I thought our lineout was much better this year and his workrate was excellent. Seemed unthinkable but our best 2nd row pairing may well end up Ianto and Charteris. A big lineout and with options at he tail especially in Tipuric who can be thrown up like a rag doll. Who know we may even get to see us with a dominant line out. We live in hope

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 19 Mar 2012, 3:00 pm

Maybe we could introduce some dodgeball-esque high ball practise for Halfpenny....

"If you can catch a wrench falling from 30 ft high, you can catch a ball......."

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 19 Mar 2012, 3:27 pm

Player of Cardiff would have to be Cuthbert, stunning in every home game he played.

Player of the overall campaign is trickier, Lydiate, Evans and Ryan and Adam Jones are all up there for me. Despite missing the first game, Lydiate's workrate has been scary and his tackling colossal. Not content to just bring them down, hammers them back in the tackle and takes momentum out of the opposition attack. At the heart of everything.
Evans has come back from obscurity to stake a strong claim for a starting berth. Another whose workrate has been immense.
Ryan Jones has turned back the clocks to produce his most dynamic form in years. Turns over as seen on Saturday and generally has led from the front all the way through.
And this season again I don't think anyone has got the better of Adam in the scrum. The effort he puts in has to be applauded. I think we've gotten at least one shove on per game which is remarkable consistency. Also hits the breakdowns quick and often for a tighthead.

Maybe exclude Evans but it couldn't be a tighter call imo. Haven't actually voted yet as whenever I hover over a name I feel like I'm doing injustice to the other candidates Erm

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 19 Mar 2012, 3:38 pm

Here goes- Lydiate clap

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 19 Mar 2012, 3:42 pm

But knowsit what about Halfpenny? Whistle

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 19 Mar 2012, 3:42 pm

Another Englishman butting in (but I did watch every Wales game in my defense Smile )

Dan Lydiate - the man is immense and with Kaino currently injured I would say he is the best out and out 6 going at the moment. An absolute must for the Lions and I hope that he is tied to a long contract at his club because he could command some serious serious money in France.

Other notable mentions would be Evans, Davies, Cuthbert & Halfpenny. Also good to see Ryan Jones back to his best and even Mike Phillips regaining some form (the change of scene seems to have done him good).

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 19 Mar 2012, 3:42 pm

Lydiate and Cuthbert both shown up any of their doubters, and Halfpenny seemed to be involved in everything (but I guess that happens when you play all the matches).

I think a special mention should go to Scott Williams, as if it weren't for his individual effort against England we would only be celebrating a 6Ns win (4 wins and a draw), and not a GS.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 19 Mar 2012, 3:43 pm

The Refs and TMO's deserves a shout too! Whistle
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 19 Mar 2012, 3:50 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:And this season again I don't think anyone has got the better of Adam in the scrum. The effort he puts in has to be applauded. I think we've gotten at least one shove on per game which is remarkable consistency. Also hits the breakdowns quick and often for a tighthead.
I know I'm going to get hammered for this, what with him being a national treasure and all but I actually don't think Adam Jones was as great as he has been in the past. Don't get me wrong he was his usual rock like self in the set piece which is his primary job but I thought he wasn't as good in loose as previous years. I know he was never the biggest carrier but his work rate at ruck time was great for a big man but he seemed to struggle to keep up with the pace of the game at times, especially in the earlier rounds where he was lucky not to get pinged for ambling back on a few occasions.

I'm not just bashing the guy as a wind up, just my views based on what I saw. He's a true legend both on and off the field and he would still be my choice for the Lions if they were playing this summer.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Mar 2012, 3:53 pm

B9 - whilst I agree he is not quite at the fitness elvels of a couple of seasons ago, I suggest re-watching the England v Wales match. Some of the last ditch tackles Adam put in were superb, and he covered a heck of a lot of ground for a prop in that match. So even if he's still not got his weight/fitness issue sorted, he was still the best TH in the competition.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Mar 2012, 3:56 pm

HERSH wrote:The Refs and TMO's deserves a shout too! Whistle

warning

No need for that, you scamp! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 19 Mar 2012, 3:57 pm

It was a hard call as Lydiate, Toby, Ianto, Ryan, Luke, JD2 and Cuthbert were all brilliant as was Geth and Adam but I went for Halfpenny by a shade as I thought his calmness under the high ball (especially for the shortest back), kicking, composure but most of all for his absolutely fearless tackling putting his body on the line time and again to stop almost certain tries was immense.

But I've said I could easily have given it to Lydiate or JD2

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 19 Mar 2012, 4:34 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:But knowsit what about Halfpenny? Whistle

I'd say if it wasn't for his kicking he'd be nowhere near that list. Many will disagree but he's no Kearney under the high ball and with ball in hand he sometimes looked somewhat clueless, particularly against England and Italy. Too hesitant and got himself isolated and into sticky situations too often for my liking. All that and his stupid challenge in the air and resulting sin binning just puts me off considering him.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman Mon 19 Mar 2012, 4:39 pm

Messymesina wrote:Adam Jones. He is the foundation upon which everything else is built.
Isn't that a worry? Some say it was the early loss of Adam in the WC semi is where it started to go wrong. Tell me it isn't so. Rolling Eyes

Dontheman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 19 Mar 2012, 4:42 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:But knowsit what about Halfpenny? Whistle

I'd say if it wasn't for his kicking he'd be nowhere near that list. Many will disagree but he's no Kearney under the high ball and with ball in hand he sometimes looked somewhat clueless, particularly against England and Italy. Too hesitant and got himself isolated and into sticky situations too often for my liking. All that and his stupid challenge in the air and resulting sin binning just puts me off considering him.

Have to say I disagree with everything you said there - bar Kearney being better.

His defence has been immense, but also his composure under the high ball has been great, even with the ridiculous yellow he competed well just was a little mistimed and didn't do anything wrong. He's come into the line well, however this has been nullified with the good, aggressive defending employed against us. Halfpenny has been one of our stand out players and we wouldn't have done as well without him.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 19 Mar 2012, 4:45 pm

I voted for Adam originally.

But after my irratational fear of being taken part in the scrums has died down (thank you the England Ireland game) I am changing my mind....

Cuthbert.

NOBODY HAS EVEN MENTIONED SHANE WILLIAMS THIS 6NATIONS, THATS HOW GOOD HE WAS.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next