The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I know nothing stays the same (apart from the song) but did they have to?

5 posters

Go down

I know nothing stays the same (apart from the song) but did they have to? Empty I know nothing stays the same (apart from the song) but did they have to?

Post by oldshanker Wed 30 Mar 2011, 6:46 pm

My home course which is a pay and play, has decided to install a 2 storey driving range on course. Not a bad idea, because the area is not well served by driving ranges.

Unfortunately, this has meant the loss of one of the better, more thought provoking holes on the course which will be replaced by a very straightforward looking par 3. But there just wasn't much of a choice of position.

The issue is however - the new green is just being built up now, together with the new tee. What is the recommended time for a green to be laid before played?

For some reason, I have 2 years in mind. I know I should ask at the club which would be sensible, but the people in the know, are likely to try to get on it as soon as it has had 1 cut.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

I know nothing stays the same (apart from the song) but did they have to? Empty Re: I know nothing stays the same (apart from the song) but did they have to?

Post by drive4show Thu 31 Mar 2011, 12:47 pm

It all comes down to money and climate. Augusta re-lays it's greens every year during the 6 months that the club is closed and they are perfection come Masters week. I have no idea why they do it as grass lasts a long time.

I think realistically, if the new green is turfed rather than seeded, you could have a decent surface in 6-9 months subject to weather conditions.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

I know nothing stays the same (apart from the song) but did they have to? Empty Re: I know nothing stays the same (apart from the song) but did they have to?

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 31 Mar 2011, 12:51 pm

drive4show wrote:Augusta re-lays it's greens every year during the 6 months that the club is closed...

They're closed for 6 months??? Bet the members are impressed with that. Then again, they're undoubtedly all so loaded they probably couldn't care less.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 31 Mar 2011, 12:51 pm

I would have a word with the greenstaff and get a cross of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia installed in your new greens.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:35 pm

navy

Apparently, one of the (no doubt many!) criteria for membership at Augusta is that you have to be a member at another club. I believe (though not 100% sure) that you are also limited to how many rounds a year you are allowed to play. It really is a millionaires playground. A good friend of mine has played it, he said there was nobody else there when he went, they had the place to themselves.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Fri 01 Apr 2011, 7:15 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:I would have a word with the greenstaff and get a cross of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia installed in your new greens.

That sounds more like something you would roll up LJ Hug
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri 01 Apr 2011, 9:30 am

oldshanker wrote:
LondonJonnyO wrote:I would have a word with the greenstaff and get a cross of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia installed in your new greens.

I have it on good authority that the amazing stuff about that blend is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sway Fri 01 Apr 2011, 9:57 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:
oldshanker wrote:

I have it on good authority that the amazing stuff about that blend is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff.

Surely the Sensemilia would be no good as a putting surface as it would become very sticky at certain times of the year, distance control on lag putts would become a nightmare, not to mention the fact you may be to out of it to even hold your putter !
Erm

On a slightly more serious note, it seems that the issue you have at your club regarding improved practice facilities / space to put them is a common one at a lot of golf clubs I have been to, at least your club is activley trying to make improvements (albeit at a price) some of the places I've visited recently have little more than a practice putting green, yet at one time or another they did have a decent driving range but it's no longer looked after or they had a great short game practice area but can no longer afford to maintain it properly. I don't know if this is down to economics or perhaps just a membership that was unwilling to to use them and thought the money needed to maintain them was better spent elsewhere, but I would be a lot happier to be in your situation, paying fees to a club that is at least looking to the future

Sway

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri 01 Apr 2011, 10:02 am

sensemilia literally means 'without seeds' so I'm not sure what you are all thinking. :sleep:
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down