The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Comolli leaves Liverpool

+8
dummy_half
TopHat24/7
Kenny
newballs
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
Crimey
hampo17
Good Golly I'm Olly
12 posters

Go down

Comolli leaves Liverpool  Empty Comolli leaves Liverpool

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:21 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17687524

Thoughts? How did he do in his time at Liverpool?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Comolli leaves Liverpool  Empty Re: Comolli leaves Liverpool

Post by hampo17 Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:23 am

It's been coming in fairness. The owners met him with Kenny and Comolli around two weeks ago to discuss why the signings have been poor overall, he got a big say in who we signed as well and unfortunately he didn't do a great job.

Shame as when he was at Spurs he had a very good track record I believe.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:02 pm

I think it was going to have to be Dalglish or Comolli and because of Dalglish's reputation at the club the owners didn't want to risk it. It'll be interesting to see whether Dalglish gets more power now, which on the one hand means he gets to sign those he wants to use, and leaves no scapegoat, or if they'll bring in somebody new.

Only two of the signings we made in the summer have been anything close to successful and that's Bellamy and Enrique, so if Comolli played any part in the others, which if he didn't, why isn't he doing his job?, then he has to take some of the blame. If nobody is appointed in his place now though, the blame has to fall on Dalglish if Liverpool continue to make poor signings.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:15 pm

However, they did sign undoubtedly quality players, if a little overpriced.

That's Comolli's job done. It's not his job to integrate them and make them work within the team. That's the manager's job.

Maybe Dalglish is from a different era, where he never really needed to integrate a glut of new players of all nationalities into a squad. Maybe he can't do it? (Though his job at Blackburn would suggest otherwise)

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:24 pm

It's called a scapegoat.

Dalglish is living on past achievements and has become beyond an embarassement.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:31 pm

I dont think it bows well for Kenny at the end of the season .

Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:34 pm

Dalgliesh is a joke and the board simply haven't the balls to fire him so have gone for the easier option.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:37 pm

I'd say this board have the balls to fire him in fairness TopHat, their record in America is one of don't bring success then there's the door.

No point sacking a manager now, what it's going to do? Teams performing poorly and if a new manager comes in but can't turn the results around instantly the pressure builds on him forcing him to make rash decisions, may as well let KK finish the season and then look for a replacement.

Be interesting too see who we go for if we do sack KD though, AVB is an option.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:39 pm

Interesting opinion tweeted on Sportsday. Getting rid of Comolli could clear the way for Dalglish to take take that job, and gracefully step aside

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:51 pm

ED
Was my first thought - Kenny gets moved to a Director of Football role and someone else gets the manager's job for next year.

There's no point sacking Kenny now - Liverpool's league season is effectively over and the only games that matter are the Cup semi and potentially final, so there's very little for a new manager to work for.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:54 pm

[quote="dummy_half"]ED
Was my first thought - Kenny gets moved to a Director of Football role and someone else gets the manager's job for next year.

I can actually see this happening , good shout
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:15 pm

hampo171 wrote:I'd say this board have the balls to fire him in fairness TopHat, their record in America is one of don't bring success then there's the door.

No point sacking a manager now, what it's going to do? Teams performing poorly and if a new manager comes in but can't turn the results around instantly the pressure builds on him forcing him to make rash decisions, may as well let KK finish the season and then look for a replacement.

Be interesting too see who we go for if we do sack KD though, AVB is an option.

New manager bounce to finish the season with a modicum of respect?

Agree with the other posts with this being engineered to sack Kenny without sacking him, get a proper manager in and move the useless old duffer upstairs where he can still be a populist figurehead for the club but without doing so much harm.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:38 pm

What would be interesting here is as others have said Kenny step up stairs, a certain spaniard who still lives on the Wirral take over at the club, a job which in fairness should still be his.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:42 pm

I dont think Kenny will be sacked or moved upstairs. He needs more time to build a squad im not surprised most opposition fans dont like him but who cares what them idiots think. Most proper Liverpool fans will get behind Kenny and I think he will be given full control in the summer.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:45 pm

Kenny has said all the signings are players he wanted, he told Comolli who went and signed them. What makes you think that he'll sign better players this summer?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:17 pm

hampo171 wrote:Kenny has said all the signings are players he wanted, he told Comolli who went and signed them. What makes you think that he'll sign better players this summer?

Because I have faith in him and I dont think 18 months is long enough for a manager to build a squad, how long did it take Ferguson to win anything as the United manager? A lot longer than it took Kenny and its funny the way clubs like Arsenal and United who have stuck with their managers long term have been successful. For me the only person who could replace Kenny would be Rafa Benitez with Kenny being gently pushed upstairs like he was when Rafa was the manager before.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:35 pm

dublfcynwa wrote:
hampo171 wrote:Kenny has said all the signings are players he wanted, he told Comolli who went and signed them. What makes you think that he'll sign better players this summer?

Because I have blind faith in him and I dont think 18 months is long enough for a manager to build a squad, how long did it take Ferguson to win anything as the United manager? A lot longer than it took Kenny and its funny the way clubs like Arsenal and United who have stuck with their managers long term have been successful. For me the only person who could replace Kenny would be Rafa Benitez with Kenny being gently pushed upstairs like he was when Rafa was the manager before.

That's the problem, with the club and its fans. Kenny's been an abject failure (more so than Roy when he was booted out) yet he clings on to his job by virtue of a reputation forged over 20 years ago.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:39 pm

I wouldn't go as far as to call him a failure , you cant say winning a trophy and and getting to at least another semi final is a failure . The league has however been a major disappointment and is not good enough .

Blame can be layed at everyone from the Manager to the players , we simply have not been good enough .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:46 pm

Agree its too easy to point the finger at the manager. The players have to shoulder some of the blame too (as does whoever was responsible for the signings).

Would hope the board allow Dalgleish at least a couple more seasons to strengthen the squad and improve results. Football in general is ridiculous these days, with fans and owners expecting instant results.

If King Kenny does get moved upstairs, one can't help but wonder if the board will be on the phone to Duke Rafa in the Summer? Wink

dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:04 pm

KingKenny7Heaven wrote:I wouldn't go as far as to call him a failure , you cant say winning a trophy and and getting to at least another semi final is a failure . The league has however been a major disappointment and is not good enough .

Blame can be layed at everyone from the Manager to the players , we simply have not been good enough .

Beating a lower league side on penalties to win a pretty worthless trophy isn't success either. League position is a much more telling barometer of success for a club the size of Liverpool, where you've performed poorly (or pitifully if you compare it to how much money has been spent on the squad).

Kenny has been shown to be poor tactically, has advised poor signings and not got the most of the players (which aren't THAT bad in fairness) he has at his disposal and has managed situations such as the Suarez affair appallingly - damaging the clubs reputation and results suffering accordingly.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:07 pm

I do think that if Fenway do move Kenny upstairs in some other role that they will look at a so called big name manager someone who has won things abroad , someone say like a Frank Rijkaard or Didier Deschamps .

I personally wouldn't want Rafa back .

Just a thought but what about that young manager who everyone was raving about last season Andre Villas Boas ?
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:08 pm

Trophies are only worthless when your teams been knocked out. Don't remember Arsenal fans saying it was worthless when they made the final last season.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:18 pm

Not really Hampo, I couldn't care less about the League Cup whether United are in, winning it or neither.

Totally indifferent between that and a trophyless season.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:20 pm

Something I've always noticed looking at Liverpool's signings is that there doesn't seem to be much of a grand scheme behind them rather just sign a player and hope he fits.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:26 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Not really Hampo, I couldn't care less about the League Cup whether United are in, winning it or neither.

Thats were we differ Tophat , unless we were WINNING the league i would take any trophy over championsleague football and finishing 2nd 3rd or 4th
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:33 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
dublfcynwa wrote:

Because I have blind faith in him and I dont think 18 months is long enough for a manager to build a squad, how long did it take Ferguson to win anything as the United manager? A lot longer than it took Kenny and its funny the way clubs like Arsenal and United who have stuck with their managers long term have been successful. For me the only person who could replace Kenny would be Rafa Benitez with Kenny being gently pushed upstairs like he was when Rafa was the manager before.

That's the problem, with the club and its fans. Kenny's been an abject failure (more so than Roy when he was booted out) yet he clings on to his job by virtue of a reputation forged over 20 years ago.

As I said, who cares what idiot fans from other teams think OK
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:42 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Not really Hampo, I couldn't care less about the League Cup whether United are in, winning it or neither.

Laugh Clueless.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:43 pm

Why the need to call other fans idiots?

Fans of other teams are able to look at Liverpool without the illusion of Kenny being the saviour and see that all is not well at Anfield. Any other boss and he'd have been sacked, he should be now different. We've been beyond awful in the league, had our worst run of results for over 50 years.

I don't remember people saying "Roys only had 6 months that's not long enough to build a team" but it's ok to say Kennys only had 18? No chance, and if the owners stand for it then they're fools.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:44 pm

KingKenny7Heaven wrote:

Thats were we differ Tophat , unless we were WINNING the league i would take any trophy over championsleague football and finishing 2nd 3rd or 4th

Well that's the difference between 20 years of success and 20 years of mediocrity punctuated with the occassional good cup run then, isn't it?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:46 pm

dublfcynwa wrote:

Laugh Clueless.

Great contribution. Care to explain?

(NB: my comment was in the context of a successful side that regularly wins majory trophies where having a fallow season just isn't an issue.)

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:49 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
KingKenny7Heaven wrote:

Well that's the difference between 20 years of success and 20 years of mediocrity punctuated with the occassional good cup run then, isn't it?

I suppose it is , but things come back around dont they it was 25-26 years before Man Utd had won the league before 1992 and the occasional cup between then was very welcome i would think
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:59 pm

Kenny
There's some truth in your comment, although I would argue that the FA Cup is a less valuable tournament now than it was even 15 years ago.

Expectations at Man U are to win or seriously challenge for the league, hopefully also challenging in the Champions League. The manager is under absolutely no pressure because of his record there, and winning the League Cup would do absolutely nothing to enhance either his or the team's recent reputation, while an FA Cup win would just be considered a nice bonus for the year.

Liverpool now are much closer to the situation Man U found themselves in through the 70s and 80s - some instability in the club management and inconsistent form in the league, so a situation where picking up some silverware and having a good FA Cup run can be described as a reasonable season (noting that this season's league form is the worst they've had in a very long time indeed).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:30 pm

I think most cup competitions have lost some of there creditability because of the money on offer to be in the champions league . I have never been in favour of it , its to much about the money
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:57 pm

Liverpool chairman Tom Warner has come out and said Damien Comoli was not the right man to take Liverpool forward , he also stated that Kenny Dalglish's job was safe .

Read into that what you will
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:54 pm

John Acterberg and in-house lawyer Natalie Wignall have been sacked as well apparently after Peter Brukner said he was leaving.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:06 am

According to reports Liverpool are looking at Louis van Gaal and Johan Cruyff to fill the Director of football role
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:27 am

Sounds like a lot of the backroom staff are leaving, I do wonder what is brewing here.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down