The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Childhood Rivalries

4 posters

Go down

Childhood Rivalries Empty Childhood Rivalries

Post by Pedro147 Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:29 pm

I've just started reading 4 Kings (great so far) and there was a piece about Marvin Hagler and that he only went into boxing after being beat up on the street by a guy called Dornell Wigfall. This made Hagler want to learn how to box and as fate would have it Wigfall was a professional too and Hagler beat him twice as a pro (even taking his 0 from him).

Hagler never forgot it and it would appear chased to have the fight as a pro as revenge.

Just wondering are there any other rivalries in boxing that resulted from a non-boxing event in their lives.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Childhood Rivalries Empty Re: Childhood Rivalries

Post by ShahenshahG Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:33 pm

De la Hoya with that nutty guy and with fernando vargas - both questioned his masculinity and his mexican-ness. He beat both of them into a pulp.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:41 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:De la Hoya with that nutty guy and with fernando vargas - both questioned his masculinity and his mexican-ness. He beat both of them into a pulp.

Wasn't some story about Vargas falling over in the snow and De Le Hoya jogged past him laughing without helping to pick him up, or something stupid like that?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:03 pm

I hadn't heard that before but maybe. I do know that De la hoya was incensed by some questioning of his masculinity but it doesnt rule out other factors, by the way it was mayorga - I'd forgotten his name.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:05 pm

Didn't Mosley & de la Hoya fight each other at junior amateur? And Forrest the last fighter to beat Mosley as an amateur?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:32 pm

alma wrote:
Pedro147 wrote:I've just started reading 4 Kings (great so far) and there was a piece about Marvin Hagler and that he only went into boxing after being beat up on the street by a guy called Dornell Wigfall. This made Hagler want to learn how to box and as fate would have it Wigfall was a professional too and Hagler beat him twice as a pro (even taking his 0 from him).

Hagler never forgot it and it would appear chased to have the fight as a pro as revenge.

Just wondering are there any other rivalries in boxing that resulted from a non-boxing event in their lives.

am reading the same. Hagler comes across as a bit of a bell.

Haha. I'm only 40 odd pages in and even then with less organisations and ring belts or diamond belts etc it's scary how much cronyism takes place even at an amateur level.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:59 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:De la Hoya with that nutty guy and with fernando vargas - both questioned his masculinity and his mexican-ness. He beat both of them into a pulp.

Wasn't some story about Vargas falling over in the snow and De Le Hoya jogged past him laughing without helping to pick him up, or something stupid like that?

Yep that was the one, was obviously more but it must have peed Vargas off. Laugh
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down