The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yes, it's....Another Haka Thread!

+25
nganboy
Hood83
blackcanelion
Taffineastbourne
nobbled
boomeranga
anotherworldofpain
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
majesticimperialman
Comfort
XR
RubyGuby
gregortree
eirebilly
beshocked
ChequeredJersey
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
mystiroakey
Effervescing Elephant
aucklandlaurie
chewed_mintie
sugarNspikes
The Great Aukster
Biltong
Cowshot
29 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Yes, it's....Another Haka Thread! - Page 5 Empty Yes, it's....Another Haka Thread!

Post by Cowshot Sun 22 Apr 2012, 12:58 pm

First topic message reminder :

A Maori Theatre Company is performing their version of Shakespeare's Troilus and Cressida at the Globe. Now it's all well and good showing how Bill speaks across Time and Culture to what is innately human in all of us, but is it fair, I ask you, that they should start the performance with a Haka?

Will the audience be able to give a truly critical response to the show if they are stunned into submission for the first ten minutes? Should the audience respond with chorus of "Jerusalem" or link arms and advance on the stage?

Link to article below, for any expats feeling like a touch of home from home Smile

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17769799

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Yes, it's....Another Haka Thread! - Page 5 Empty Re: Yes, it's....Another Haka Thread!

Post by mystiroakey Tue 22 May 2012, 3:14 pm

"anotherworldofpain

"
lol from richmond to mayfair--- I take it you got promoted pal- your english must be improving

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Yes, it's....Another Haka Thread! - Page 5 Empty Re: Yes, it's....Another Haka Thread!

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 22 May 2012, 3:20 pm

Well is some good business to make now with so volatile market.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 22 May 2012, 3:21 pm

so why the move - you were in richmond an hour ago?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 22 May 2012, 3:22 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
biltongbek wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:Sorry black i think you have the worng end of stick- i stand by everything i said. NZ make money from international rugby- they run a profit even when we include the world cup year, the problem is you subsidise those profits towards they domestic losses, and they still run a loss. Sort out the domestic end or stop putting money in to it- NZ are just robbing peter to pay paul.

Mystir, is that not the case with most Unions?

i am english pal

I am lost here?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 22 May 2012, 3:22 pm

Oh no! I just updating the profiler when I realise that is delayed on true. Because I was getting confuse on the meaning of this post and then make me realising that is missing out the update!

Last edited by anotherworldofpain on Tue 22 May 2012, 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 22 May 2012, 3:23 pm

england make a profit domestically bilt

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 22 May 2012, 3:24 pm

mystiroakey wrote:england make a profit domestically bilt

Ireland, wales, scotland, Australia etc don't.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 22 May 2012, 3:25 pm

mystiroakey wrote:england make a profit domestically bilt

Well, 4 of the 12 AP clubs do at least.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 22 May 2012, 3:25 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote:Oh no! I just updating the profiler when I realise that is delayed on true. Because I was getting confuse on the meaning of this post and then make me realising that is missing out the update!

ghost Fingers Crossed

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 22 May 2012, 3:26 pm

just making the point that i dont understand the fuss about teams wanting more of the irb pie when internationally they make money. it is disgusing the true problem- the domestic losses

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 22 May 2012, 3:33 pm

I am sorry but I don't agree, if you look at the broadcasting deal with Murdoch. more than 60% of the revenue is for the tests these countries play, and the other 40% is for the Super Rugby tournament.

Television earnings per test is a hell of a lot hgiher than for a Super rugby match, I can't remember the exact figures (I read it quite a while ago) but it stands to reason that Itnernational money will always subsidise domestic rugby.

then when you look at rugby tickets in SA.

You pay R100 for a ticket to watch Super Rugby and an average of R400 to watch a test, considering that with tests we get a full stadium and
super rugby it is half full, you earn 8 times more gate money with a test than with a super rugby match,
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 22 May 2012, 4:53 pm

Is this due to the IRB deciding to compensate the 3N sides for the reduction in matches in a world cup year???
It’s a bit of a farce now isn’t it?

Well the RWC came along first….. 9 years before and long before the tournament was even thought of. It was originally a 6 match tournament but in 2006 they extended this to a 9 match tournament.

It was SANZAR who decided to increase the size of the tournament not the IRB. They did so to get more revenue and reduced it in RWC years because coaches deemed it too large a schedule. How much of this revenue drips down to the IRB… minimal I’d imagine.

Now they are telling the IRB that there RWC is losing them money and they are owed compensation…. It’s a complete joke.

They could host the tournament earlier…. Let alone see the extended version in non world cup years as a bonus or additional revenue…. Instead they see it the other way round.

So now we see millions taken out of the pockets of the countries that badly need it i.e. the Romanians, the Georgians, the Zimbabweans etc who struggle to even get to the tournament so that 3 of the top nations in the world can splash out on bigger bonuses for their committee members (not just a baseless rant esp. in SA) and larger contracts for their marquee players…. which in itself drives up the contracts of all players.

How long before they start complaining about money again to the IRB... this time about something else????

Next it will be brand All Blacks with NZ wanting a share of the gate revenue when NZ play away.. I recall Saint Tew have a moan about this also..... totally baseless again given the home union will pay for all the advertising and costs etc and in Europe... most nations sell out every game whether it be NZ, SA, Scotland or Samoa.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 22 May 2012, 4:57 pm

fa0019 wrote:

Is this due to the IRB deciding to compensate the 3N sides for the reduction in matches in a world cup year???

Next it will be brand All Blacks with NZ wanting a share of the gate revenue when NZ play away

The IRB is to compensate all the Tier 1 countries, not just the 3N

And the ABs already get a share of the revenue when playing away, as do most touring sides.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 22 May 2012, 5:05 pm

Kiwi

I didn't see that but looking up I can verify that is true.

However.... the increase of RWC participation which goes to all tier 1 sides increases collectively by £3MM (so £300K each extra).

But more importantly... SANZAR get an additional £10MM to split between the 4 of them due to their 'forced reduction' in their annual competition.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/6935779/IRB-offers-compensation-for-RWC-2015-losses

In terms of the revenue... its the piece of the pie they get which I've heard Tew complaining about... in essence he wants more, more than he/his union deserves. In any case... you must admit he's always complaining about something related to money. When something is solved he and O'Neill begin another quest for cash.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 22 May 2012, 5:12 pm

fa0019 wrote:Kiwi

I didn't see that but looking up I can verify that is true.

However.... the increase of RWC participation which goes to all tier 1 sides increases collectively by £3MM (so £300K each extra).

But more importantly... SANZAR get an additional £10MM to split between the 4 of them due to their 'forced reduction' in their annual competition.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/6935779/IRB-offers-compensation-for-RWC-2015-losses

In terms of the revenue... its the piece of the pie they get which I've heard Tew complaining about... in essence he wants more, more than he/his union deserves. In any case... you must admit he's always complaining about something related to money. When something is solved he and O'Neill begin another quest for cash.

I'm no fan of Teflon Tew. And even less one of O'Neill.

That said, if the IRB scheduled the RWC so that the 6N was truncated you would be hearing the screams out on Jupiter.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 22 May 2012, 5:12 pm

actually no each union gets £3MM extra not 3MM combined... but still, I don't see how unions are losing money due to RWC years.... outside of the closure in AI's... perhaps thats what the £3MM is for?

Its still to the point that the RWC was here long ago and the unions led by SANZAR are looking to milk the IRB of all their funds... which mainly goes to promoting the sport and trying to grow it around the world.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 22 May 2012, 5:16 pm

Kiwi

Absolutely right... but the 6N is a tournament that has been around for years and the RWC was built around its existence and other test commitments.

You can't create something off the back of something else and then complain that the original idea which pre-dates your product is causing you to lose money.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 22 May 2012, 5:18 pm

Here's something wot I wrote about this before:

Wait until I take it out of my pocket and unwrap it.................... it's getting old now, I really should rewrite it on new paper but here goes.

It says "Love the Haka. Let it stay. It's lovely and it gets the juices flowing."

So back it goes into my pocket until the next Haka thread. Thanks for listening. Bye.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 22 May 2012, 5:36 pm

fa0019 wrote:Kiwi

Absolutely right... but the 6N is a tournament that has been around for years and the RWC was built around its existence and other test commitments.

You can't create something off the back of something else and then complain that the original idea which pre-dates your product is causing you to lose money.

Technically the 6N post-dates the RWC Wink, but that is being a wee bit pedantic. The RWC owes more to the existence of the football world cup than it does to the 5N.

Those are moot points really, all 3 events (RWC, 5/6N, 3/4N) have been around since the advent of professionalism, before that TV rights just paid for team travel and nice big lunches in various Union boardrooms.

Nowadays rugby, for better or worse, is a business. NZ uses the All Blacks to partially subsidise domestic rugby (as an investment in the continued success of the ABs, in much the same way that England subsidises the AP teams for development. NZ and England also use that money to help run amateur rugby.

Running a shortened 4N in a world cup year means less TV money, and less gate sales - which directly impacts the cash NZ has available for running rugby in NZ. Similarly, the cancellation of June or September internationals in RWC years hits the revenue streams of all the tier 1 nations. Good prudent financial management demands that you either seek alternate revenue streams or cut expenses.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 22 May 2012, 7:49 pm

SecretFly wrote:Here's something wot I wrote about this before:

Wait until I take it out of my pocket and unwrap it.................... it's getting old now, I really should rewrite it on new paper but here goes.

It says "Love the Haka. Let it stay. It's lovely and it gets the juices flowing."

So back it goes into my pocket until the next Haka thread. Thanks for listening. Bye.
I have one room but mine is laminated and on my wall
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 01 Jul 2012, 3:48 am

Another way to use the Haka.

http://www.goalzz.com/main.aspx?n=184357&obj=0

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 01 Jul 2012, 7:53 am

yeah he probally didnt have a clue what it meant but just liked the look of it- like most poeple that get tats

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 01 Jul 2012, 8:06 am

Then again he might be like Mike Tyson saying its a form of respect for the Maori warriors fighting spirit.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 01 Jul 2012, 8:12 am

yeah i suppose, there is alot to respect- I just question anyone that gets a tat that is supposed to mean something.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 01 Jul 2012, 8:20 am

If Mike Tyson reckons it means something, then thats fine by me.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 01 Jul 2012, 8:23 am

what has that got to do with rosol?

Mike Tyson is an animal anyway, you gotta question anything he respects.

But even if he wasnt(an animal)respecting something and having a tat are two very seperate things

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5