The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do Ulster have enough support for an expanded Ravenhill?

+28
marty2086
Mickado
GavinDragon
Kingshu
The Great Aukster
Goosestepper
tecphobe
logie28
PenfroPete
Pot Hale
Intotouch
JayMaster3000
Feckless Rogue
Dave.
Gibson
SecretFly
Suspicious lurker
clivemcl
Don Alfonso
Rava
MrsP
Rory_Gallagher
red_stag
BoyneRFC
geoff998rugby
Notch
Standulstermen
rodders
32 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Do Ulster have enough support for an expanded Ravenhill?  Empty Do Ulster have enough support for an expanded Ravenhill?

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 3:21 pm

I'm going to throw this one out there.......

After attending the Leinster game last Friday I have a few concerns about the plans to expand Ravenhill to 18,000 capacity.

The atmosphere was really poor at the memorial end against Leinster. It seemed like quite a few people there knew very little about rugby and weren't really following the game. Silence wasn't being observed for the place kicks by quite a few.

Now given that this was the last home game of the season and assuming that this was a bigger than average crowd I would be questioning how many genuine Ulster rugby and genuine rugby fans are out there right now, who will attend regular games and can we actually fill a bigger ground on a regular basis?

Will Ravenhill lose some of its atmosphere? Are there more genuine fans out there and if so why aren't they attending the games now?

Personally I think Ulster still have a lot of work to do to tap into the growing popularity of rugby union in Ireland and gain cross community support across the province.

Having been in Limerick recently and seen the infrastucture at Thomond and the community support that Munster have Ulster have a long, long way to go as a brand and an organisation.

Reaching the HEC final would be a massive boost and generate a lot of interest but I think Ulster still have to work a lot harder because I'm not convinced that just relying on their core support from traditional rugby areas will be enough, from a player or fan base perspective to build a rugby club which will be able to match Munster and Leinster in the long term.

I was massively frustrated to see both Union flags being waved at Thomond and to recently see a person in a local supermarket wearing a Munster jersey. The idea that anyone, casual fan, or otherwise, in Ulster would support Munster before their own province fills me with deep frustration. These are small things but they are symbolic of the problems that Ulster need to overcome if we want to achieve Logan and Humphreys vision.

Why are Ulster flags not made readily available to fans, the way they are for Munster fans?

The Kukri store at Ravenhill had no power generator on Friday night and was lit by an assistant holding a hand torch FFS. Would that happen in Munster or Leinster a week out from a HEC SF?

Friday night games work best for the majority of Ulster supporters, understandably, but for fans in the West it is difficult to make the kick off at 7.05 pm. Munster at least make some effort to cater for fans in Cork, are Ulster branch trying hard enough to accommodate fans from across the province?

In terms of PR there seems to be a lot of hype around this Christian thing right now. Not that there's anything wrong with being a Christian, but there does seem to be often a big descrepancy between how the club and it's fans are percieved in the media and the actual reality. The McLaughlin thing obviously was a PR disaster so clearly there are big improvement needed on how the club deal with media.

Too often the term NI and Ulster is used interchangably from an Ulster perspective, which again is a small thing but it doesn't promote the image that Ulster are representing all of the 9 counties.

Small things but they add up and if we want to be the best then we need have high standards.

Anyways don't want to sound negative. There's a SF to be won and its a great time to be an Ulster fan, but looking forward I want us to be the best and we have a lot to work on to match Munster and Leinster, off the pitch as well as on it.

There's much more knowledgeable Ulster fans on here so I'd be interested on what others think.

SUFTUM guinness !

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Do Ulster have enough support for an expanded Ravenhill?  Empty Re: Do Ulster have enough support for an expanded Ravenhill?

Post by Standulstermen Mon 23 Apr 2012, 3:44 pm

Success breeds support rodders. It did in munster and Leinster and it can do it in ulster

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Do Ulster have enough support for an expanded Ravenhill?  Empty Re: Do Ulster have enough support for an expanded Ravenhill?

Post by Notch Mon 23 Apr 2012, 3:48 pm

They just might not be the kind of supporters you like standing beside, but thats the way it goes!

Lot of guys swearing their heads off at every decision that went against us on Friday Rolling Eyes
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 23 Apr 2012, 3:50 pm

We would have sold out against Leicester the demand was massive.

Also 2/3 other games would have had bigger crowds.

We also need to bear in mind our atmosphere is one generated from the 2 sides only anyway. The structure of the two sides will not fundamentally change with the rebuild so any extra atmosphere from the ends will be a bonus.

This is not the mistake made by Cardiff and Ospreys.

Regarding the Munster shirt how do you know he was an Ulsterman did you speak to him. I have worn an Ulster shirt in both Munster and Leinster on none match days - I remain an Ulsterman !

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 3:52 pm

It does stand but is it the support we want? Is it really just that simple?

Will Ravenhill lose its old school atmosphere if 10-20% of the supporters don't know half the players names or the rules of the game?

To be a successful club with world facilities and infrastructure we need to build from the bottom up not just the top down.

I applaud what you are doing Stand but we need more engagement with local organisations and business owners to promote the team and sport.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Mon 23 Apr 2012, 3:54 pm

Great piece. It echos the points I would say demonstrate the biggest obstacle to Ulster getting to the next level... but...

There are many many positives...

In terms of filling the stadium, I think this is the biggest obstacle. Pricing promtion, packaging ect (basically, marketing) needs to be spot on and inclusive. Ship kids in from Monaghan, Derry(London, whatever), Donegal and Tyrone... With the success on field, you will get it off the field. Bring the kids in.. today's bandwagoners will be your best supporters in 10 years...

Belfast is basically a capital city- huge advantage...

The flags... meh.. whatever. Harder to change, but if a flag offends you, you are going to have issues. The Ulstermen on this board are (well, 99%) are a credit to the province and how it should promote itself...

The more and more fans can travel around and experience each others parts of the continent, Im sure good will will follow and baggage can be left behind..

Sure Im looking forward to having the craic with the Ulstermen in London in a few weeks...

Run

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 3:57 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:
Regarding the Munster shirt how do you know he was an Ulsterman did you speak to him.

Geoff I'm sure he was an Ulsterman or I wouldn't be peeved. People can wear whatever shirt they want but its the princible that your average casual non rugby supporter in a certain part of Ulster, from a certain community, will support Ireland and then say Munster before Ulster.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 23 Apr 2012, 3:57 pm

It sounds to me that you are in a minority Stand in combining your business with Ulster Rugby.

Certainly Ulster Rugby doesnt seem to take advantage of their assets to the same extent Leinster and Munster do. . . . . apart from Rory McIlroys blank cheques!!!

Very Happy
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 23 Apr 2012, 3:57 pm

rodders wrote:It does stand but is it the support we want? Is it really just that simple?

Will Ravenhill lose its old school atmosphere if 10-20% of the supporters don't know half the players names or the rules of the game?

To be a successful club with world facilities and infrastructure we need to build from the bottom up not just the top down.

I applaud what you are doing Stand but we need more engagement with local organisations and business owners to promote the team and sport.

Every supporter has to start somewhere rodders Wink wouldn't it be great if these 10-20% did learn more about rugby and become true ulster fans? Best thing you can do is set the standard yourself. Show them what it means to be a true ulster fan thumbsup

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 23 Apr 2012, 3:57 pm

In fairness ulster are doing that rodders. I'm not sure what it costs or if it is prohibitive in terms if what ulster are looking for from potential sponsors but you can't argue with logans results. There are plenty of sponsors on board now who are paying more. Heineken are paying much more than Guinness ever did. Hamilton and kirk are paying far more for the beer tent than previously and the likes of Hastings hotels, fona cab are all paying good money.

Thomond has it's fair share of bandwagoners too rodders, albeit the silence and respect shown to kickers is unique IMO. As long as they pay the 20 quid or so in they a welcome as far as I am concerned, whether they know their arse from their elbow or not.

On a personal note. In terms of the company I work for we have no corporate links to ulster rugby and some of our bars are shamelessly trying t bandwagon now. I do bus trips yes but they are usually to games that will sell out anyway. So in terms of doing something for ulster rugby I'm not rreally doing anything. What I am doing is trying to offer a pub that ordinary fans know will prioritise rugby in general. With thhe success of having the Leinster guys in at the weekend I think we might look at doing packages in the future but it's a slow process. Have to say I think the biggest difference between munster and ulster is the MRSC compared to the URSC.

Last edited by Standulstermen on Mon 23 Apr 2012, 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 4:01 pm

BoyneRFC wrote:Great piece. It echos the points I would say demonstrate the biggest obstacle to Ulster getting to the next level... but...

There are many many positives...

In terms of filling the stadium, I think this is the biggest obstacle. Pricing promtion, packaging ect (basically, marketing) needs to be spot on and inclusive. Ship kids in from Monaghan, Derry(London, whatever), Donegal and Tyrone... With the success on field, you will get it off the field. Bring the kids in.. today's bandwagoners will be your best supporters in 10 years...

Belfast is basically a capital city- huge advantage...

The flags... meh.. whatever. Harder to change, but if a flag offends you, you are going to have issues. The Ulstermen on this board are (well, 99%) are a credit to the province and how it should promote itself...

The more and more fans can travel around and experience each others parts of the continent, Im sure good will will follow and baggage can be left behind..

Sure Im looking forward to having the craic with the Ulstermen in London in a few weeks...

Run

Thank you Boyne thats exactly what I was trying to get across guinness.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Mon 23 Apr 2012, 4:02 pm

Thomond has it's fair share of bandwagoners too rodders

Aint that the truth. Sitting in TP, some of them really having a bulls notion of what's going on... JOKE (well, 50% joke)

As long as they pay the 20 quid or so in they a welcome as far as I am concerned

Also a good way to look at it. Rugby used to be very exclusive. Ive played since I was 5 years old and have gone to games because and only because I could get tickets through my club.

Now, anyone can go to the RDS for a fun night out and the "snobbery" around it has disappeared. Sure, if they are paying their 20 quid, maybe next season they'll know a little more and it will snowball.

There was a time that rugby was only for those who play or have played. Its not that way anymore..

Last edited by BoyneRFC on Mon 23 Apr 2012, 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 23 Apr 2012, 4:05 pm

Rodders,

MrP was saying that there was a crowd of players on a tour at that end on Friday night. They were not Irish and were shouting silly stuff.

Mind you, the STHs behind us are not the most knowledgible. One of the adults was trying to explain to one of the kids that the tall fella on the Leinster replacements bench was Sean Cronin!

They were then discussing how it would be an excellent move for pienaar to pass to BJ!

They also told MrP off the other week for standing up to celebrate an Ulster score! They said he'd been doing it all season. Actually, I hope he's been doing it for the 7 or 8 seasons that he has been a STH.

Headscratch

Takes all sorts!

What was that song we all sing again?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 4:12 pm

That explains some of it Mrs P, but unfortunately not all of it.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 4:21 pm

Standulstermen wrote:
On a personal note. In terms of the company I work for we have no corporate links to ulster rugby and some of our bars are shamelessly trying t bandwagon now. I do bus trips yes but they are usually to games that will sell out anyway. So in terms of doing something for ulster rugby I'm not rreally doing anything.

I disagree, I think you are doing a lot for Ulster rugby, by showing the games, organising bus trips and promoting the club online etc.

Nearly ever single building in Limerick was lined with Munster flags the weekend of the QF. By contrast you could walk round Belfast on a HEC matchday without knowing theres a game on. It's this type of community support and mainstream publicity that Ulster need to aim for.

That won't happen overnight maybe ever but maybe giving out stickers, flyers, flags etc to local businesses to display on matchdays could be a start.

The HEC games being shown in the Europa is great too but definitely theres more can be done.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 23 Apr 2012, 4:25 pm

Financially speaking rodders I mean. Ulster rugby might be glad they are getting airtime in a bar but they run a business and in real terms that's why the Europa gets promoted by ulster. Because of the sponsorship with Hastings hotels. I'm am on at the big boss to look into corporate links but it's difficult in this climate

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 23 Apr 2012, 4:34 pm

Rodders you do raise some issues there and I think the one that would have the biggest bearing on you would be your location in terms of getting to the ground for Friday night games.
I have to say, after chatting to you, I feel that once you get "smart" in getting yourself through Belfast I think you might realise its doable. (I'll send the info on that I was talking about) You need to make the decision though to come regularly and aim to get a ticket in the part of the ground that suits you.

On the redevelopment, I don't think Ulster Rugby will be expecting to fill the ground for every game. It may well be a case that the Memorial End stand won't be sold until other areas are sold so there will almost always be an element of supporters who will only occasionally be there.
The new Stand at the Aquinas end will be primarily family oriented and I hope Ulster Rugby price this accordingly. At the minute a family ticket for two adults and two children is too expensive. (That's my opinion, others may disagree).

Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 4:37 pm

Standulstermen wrote:Financially speaking rodders I mean.

Directly maybe not but indirectly they are likely to benefit from the publicity that you are generating by showing the games and promoting the club.

Ravenhill suffers aswell imo from not being in a promenant place within Belfast city.

Like I say unless you are a rugby fan you wouldn't know theres even a game on.

As Jen pointed out a few weeks ago very few people walk to and from the games,for various reasons (the KO times included), so you lose out on that promotion and publicity through people walking around in jerseys etc.

On the field we are making huge strides but we need to make them off it too to keep up with the other provinces.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 4:46 pm

Rava wrote:Rodders you do raise some issues there and I think the one that would have the biggest bearing on you would be your location in terms of getting to the ground for Friday night games.
I have to say, after chatting to you, I feel that once you get "smart" in getting yourself through Belfast I think you might realise its doable. (I'll send the info on that I was talking about) You need to make the decision though to come regularly and aim to get a ticket in the part of the ground that suits you.

OK Thanks rava, appreciate that man but thats not really why I wrote the article.

Its not a personal thing. I'm lucky enough that I can come to most games, if I want to, with a bit of logistical effort. I have a car and can afford to. I'm a first generation fan but went to a rugby playing school and have been a rugby fan all my adult life and a bit more.

This is about Ulster rugby generating a brand, player base, fan base and infrastucture which is comparable with our domestic rivals and where I believe we are falling short.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Mon 23 Apr 2012, 4:55 pm

I think that what we need to fight for is games on a Saturday.

Now, I love Friday nights at Ravenhill - there is a special atmosphere. Lots of excited, knowledgeable rugby fans drinking on empty stomachs, kicking off their weekend – it can be fierce and magical. But that's because I live in Belfast. For those who live in Derry, or Fermanagh, or Donegal, who have to work normal office hours, attending a Friday night game simply not feasible.

Also, what I think has caused a dent in the attendances this year, but will build support longer-term is being able to watch on BBC NI. Speaking of which, what I would like to see is maybe some different half-time analysts. I think that’s where the culture feels a bit “old boy’s club”. Couldn’t we get some southerners (apart from Eddie) to offer some insight? I’d love to see the likes of Quinnie talking about the breakdown halfway through an Ulster-Glasgow match.

Ulster Branch is doing great work in reaching out to new potential rugby fans, but it’s not “marketing” in the traditional sense. It’s a lot more nuanced than that, thanks to 30 years of violence. It’s not analogous to selling the “sport outside traditional markets”. But things are evolving culturally, and Ulster a ramping up their success at just the right time to take advantage of that.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Mon 23 Apr 2012, 4:59 pm

I will no doubt get grief for this, but at least I'm honest. I hope people accept the fact that not everyone in NI earn the same money.

At £20 per ticket, I'll go to 2/3 games a season. If it were £15 I'd go to 4/5 games. If it were £10/£12, I'd go to 8-10 games per season.

I don't have any Ulster supporting friends, and my wife doesnt actually enjoy it much. I have to pay for my ticket and hers, and only then after encouraging her to come and stand with me in the cold for two hours.

I know I dn't seem like much of a supporter in that I don't contribute as much as others financially. But I'm glad its on tv.Perhaps selfishly, but glad none-theless. I've watched EVERY game this season apart from the one from italy that got messed up. I just hope they negotiated a good contract with BBC. Because Ulster rugby is about a third of my tv viewing in the week.

I don't know about the stadium. Until I get paid a decent amount my my company, I'm afraid i still wont be there often at the current prices.

Also, when I go, for the record, I'm more vocal than 95% of attendees. Ask my embarassed wife.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 5:02 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:
Also, what I think has caused a dent in the attendances this year, but will build support longer-term is being able to watch on BBC NI. Speaking of which, what I would like to see is maybe some different half-time analysts. I think that’s where the culture feels a bit “old boy’s club”. Couldn’t we get some southerners (apart from Eddie) to offer some insight? I’d love to see the likes of Quinnie talking about the breakdown halfway through an Ulster-Glasgow match.

Good spot. Was going to mention that. Also having Ryan Constable doing commentary when he's agent to a lot of the players doesn't do much for our credibility imo.

Like how the flip was Muller motm on Friday, I mean we lost by 8 points?

Rory McIlroy was mention above. He's a potential trump card for Ulster imo. The worlds best and maybe famous Golfer is a massive Ulster fan. We need to try and play on this connection as much as possible.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Mon 23 Apr 2012, 5:03 pm

I believe for ulster to become a truly cross community up north they need to stop flying the union jack so prominently.

Granted I'm from the south and will always feel that way inclined but I just found it so strange to see when they are part of the IRFU and representing counties in the republic as well.

Now don't get me wrong I do not believe that the crowds would suddenly flock into ravenhill if it was lowered, but small steps and all that
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 5:13 pm

I agree Hoog.

I should also mention that my GF has complained about the quality of the female toilet facilities at Ravenhill to me on more than one occaision........ Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Mon 23 Apr 2012, 5:20 pm

Aye rodders I hear they are pi$$ poor
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 23 Apr 2012, 5:24 pm

rodders wrote:I agree Hoog.

I should also mention that my GF has complained about the quality of the female toilet facilities at Ravenhill to me on more than one occaision........ Whistle

Do they leak or are they overfull? Wink Sometimes the patrons complain about the facilities and it's the patrons who are creating them.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 23 Apr 2012, 5:28 pm

rodders wrote:I agree Hoog.

They are pretty terrible but that will hopefully change with the new stands being built.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 5:49 pm

OK I hope so Mrs P.

We need a museum like they have in Thomond so people can view our HEC trophies too...... Very Happy
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 23 Apr 2012, 5:51 pm

Clive,
I admire your honesty and committment in hard times. I really do.

In fact you, are the very kind of fan Ulster need to reward. Make it easier for you to get there and easier for you to pay for and see more games. I think you are the acid-test of what Rodders is writing about. If your province can in anyway faciltate this, then they are well on the way to being the brand all loyal Ulster fans deserve.

Really like what Stand is doing too. Got to pay a visit. This is how core support is built. From bases like Stands Pub. If more pubs in the province - from all cultural backgrounds, follow suit, watch it grow.

Ive watched Leinster grow from 500 souls at Donnybrook into what we are now. Ok, I know Dublin was a huge demographic area just waiting to be tapped into, but I see no reason why Belfast cant bring all the other major towns & cities in Ulster, into the equation.

Saturday games would certainly help. Families, couples, Pub groups of travelling fans (new and old) to travel in from all over Ulster could make a complete day of it. The city also reaps the benefits. Win-win.

I agree that Ulster need to be more proactive with this. They certainly should help, encourage and promote - oraganised coaches to travel in from all over the province. They need to sell the product and make it as reasonably priced and attractive gig for all. This is key. Deliver the fans to New Ravenhill, fete them, entertain them and then get them home safely, sloshed and happy.

As Stand says, success breeds success, more support = more money = more development of the product and hence even more chance of ongoing success. Its happening. I do believe that in Logan and David Humphreys, ye have the guys at the top to do it. I admire Logan's raw ambition and think Humphreys is one shrewd rugby cookie. He always was.

Its a great time to be an Ulster fan. Its just great for the country as a whole. Long may it grow and thrive. Saturday could help take it to a whole new level in the Pro era. I want to see Ulster at Twickers - whether Leinster make it or not. Most all the Leinster fans I know, want it too. But having acheived that and possibly beyond, Logan really needs to put his morkeshing deportment into overdrive. Paint every town, village and city in Ulster, Red and White. Have a 100,000 flags made and distributed around the province. Feed the buzz. Feed and nurture the culture of it all. And when you have the prospective fans on board, keep them there.

In answer to the OP's question, yes, I do believe it can be filled and sustained.

Believe.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 7:05 pm

Nice one Gibbo, and thanks clive guinness guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 23 Apr 2012, 7:21 pm

1. There will be ample toilet facilities when redevelopment has been completed.
2. There will be a museum.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 7:26 pm

Rava wrote:1. There will be ample toilet facilities when redevelopment has been completed.
2. There will be a museum.

OK Nice one rava guinness ....... make sure you leave enough room for the trophies....... Very Happy
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 23 Apr 2012, 7:44 pm

Its great having a man on the very inside of the whole Project. guinness

I was in the RDS Angelsea Stand for the Leinster v Munster B & I SF. The loos were a disgrace. I mean really bad. They are not even maintaining them. Or the Stand itself. This tells me that Mickado's info, that Leinster are going to knock it down and build a new one, is true.

Bringing the total capacity up to a 23,000 all seater Im told. Mick Dawson had spoken of it a year back. If Leinster invest in it, along with RDS PLC, Id expect cheaper long-term rent out of it. It is going to be corporate named/sponsored - so I hear.

Man I dread to think what it will be called. But I dont care, if our fans have the best facilities possible out of it.

The Guinness Stand. Now that would be grand. Who else could afford it, in a recession? Heineken? Nivea? Cool

Ulster, like Munster will own their respective grounds eventually. Jealous.com. I still dream of a 25,000 seater Donnybrook. Not going to happen now.

Last edited by Gibson on Mon 23 Apr 2012, 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 23 Apr 2012, 7:46 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
rodders wrote:It does stand but is it the support we want? Is it really just that simple?

Every supporter has to start somewhere rodders Wink wouldn't it be great if these 10-20% did learn more about rugby and become true ulster fans? Best thing you can do is set the standard yourself. Show them what it means to be a true ulster fan thumbsup

OK

Thats the right attitude to have.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 23 Apr 2012, 7:52 pm

Hoog wrote:I believe for ulster to become a truly cross community up north they need to stop flying the union jack so prominently.

Granted I'm from the south and will always feel that way inclined but I just found it so strange to see when they are part of the IRFU and representing counties in the republic as well.

Now don't get me wrong I do not believe that the crowds would suddenly flock into ravenhill if it was lowered, but small steps and all that

Yeah I agree, it's tradition- it goes back to the days when God Save The Queen was sung at full Ireland internationals in the North.

But just because something has always been that way doesn't mean it's necessarily the right thing for todays world. Thats a concept some people up here are still trying to get their head around. It doesn't help some people view compromise of any kind as defeat- it's possibly the case that Ulster don't want to change it because they are worried that it will attract attention of the wrong sort. Doesn't take much to create a cause celebre for the usual suspects.

But sooner or later, it should go. It's not respectful to our fans in Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan and it's not respectful to a minority of people in the North either. We don't need to associate ourselves with any national identity but create a shared identity for everyone in Ulster, based on the values of rugby. If we take the initiative on flags etc. it will help. It becomes an issue of branding.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 23 Apr 2012, 7:53 pm

clap
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 23 Apr 2012, 7:56 pm

The RDS was a dilapidated gem...a Victorian wrought-iron delight of horse manure and Harvey Smith V signs.

And it could really shine itself up for the Spring show and the Horse show; and it's for the Horse show in particular that my earliest memories of it come.

I know progress is progress and unfortunately horses in Ireland ain't what they used to be in the affections of the people. The RDS will go with progress and go with steady income and knock the Stand and produce the accomodating but heartless copy of the new stand. And the RDS will lose its soul in the process.

Progress is progress but killing a famous old stadium devoted to the horse is a sure fire statement to me of how Ireland is changing and how some history is more important than other strands.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 23 Apr 2012, 7:57 pm

Clive, hopefully one of the net effects of the expansion will be to make cheaper seats available at the stands at the end of the ground. in the RDS those seats are much cheaper (still expensive enough). I hope they look at that.

I'd like to see Ulster doing more to tap into the massive student community in South Belfast too. Thats a big demographic right on Ravenhills doorstep that doesn't account for much business; the difficulty is the all go home to their mammies on Friday night Rolling Eyes
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Mon 23 Apr 2012, 7:59 pm

But we are country boys!!!!!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 23 Apr 2012, 8:01 pm

I know Dave, I know. You don't want to be away from the apron strings for too long. God knows what'll happen Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 8:01 pm

Notch this is not the crowd we want to attract man...... Whistle

https://www.606v2.com/t28152-university-rugby-s-alcoholics
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 23 Apr 2012, 8:03 pm

The crowd that buys drinks? Every other premises with a license in Belfast is happy enough to do it Whistle
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 23 Apr 2012, 8:03 pm

Rodders,
Your article is excellent as it highlights your genuine feelings. That is what 606 is about imo. I know where you are coming from and I just hope we reach the heights that you strive for.
I don't ever see us with the fan base of a Leinster or Munster but I would love to see 13/14 thousand consistently coming through the gates. I think this is eminently possible but it will take time.
On the political side of things its small steps mate, but at least there are steps being taken. Look where we are compared to 15 or 20 years ago. I remember the days when people automatically concluded I was a Prod just because I played rugby.
DUP ministers at GAA matches! Sin Fein minister at Windsor Park! To me that is heart-warming and shows real progress in this god forsaken country of ours.

There will always be the logistical problems but 1st thing to do is complain directly to Ulster Rugby. Get a few names on a sheet and write directly to Mr Logan. Tell him there is a fantastic support in the west of the province. Tell him it just needs UR to address this and he could see 1/2 thousand people travelling over Glenshane on a Saturday afternoon/evening. Very Happy
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 8:10 pm

Cheers Rava OK guinness

1/2 thousand people on the Glenshane?! Are you nuts! Shocked That would be chaos! Laugh

Right I think I'll start a thread about the road and transport infrastructure.... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Mon 23 Apr 2012, 8:14 pm

How much would it cost me to watch Strabane in Quali 3?

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Mon 23 Apr 2012, 8:58 pm

Lads it heartens me that you agree with my comment, I didn't want to over emphasise it as I don't agree with politics in sport but the fact that the majority of ulster posters agree with me is great.

I've always just found it so strange that it takes pride and place in Ravenhill when its a team thy represents part of the republic. I firmly believe it is one of the main points that stops southerns getting fully behind Ulster as a team.

I know that personally growing up I always looked at ulster as a bunch of left footers due to to deep rooted historical feeling, however as I've grown up and wised up a bit and come to the understanding that we all play towards the same goal of success for Ireland.

This was brought to the boil fully last November when i stood shoulder to shoulder to ky good buddy Rava, fully decked out in ulster gear. It was a massive personal milestone for myself and o hope more people like me can find it in themselves to SUFTUM when the time calls for it.

I for one will be shouting for them on Saturday as loud as I will be shouting for Leinster come Sunday

Believe
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 23 Apr 2012, 8:59 pm

thumbsup

Good man Hugh
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 23 Apr 2012, 9:03 pm

Gibson wrote:Bringing the total capacity up to a 23,000 all seater Im told. Mick Dawson had spoken of it a year back. If Leinster invest in it, along with RDS PLC, Id expect cheaper long-term rent out of it. It is going to be corporate named/sponsored - so I hear.

Man I dread to think what it will be called. But I dont care, if our fans have the best facilities possible out of it.

The Guinness Stand. Now that would be grand. Who else could afford it, in a recession? Heineken? Nivea?

My local soccer teams ground is called Hunky Dorys Park. Which just sounds silly. But if Hunk Dorys want to give us money then we'll take it.

I think the RDS should be sponsored by some company that makes womens products. To boost our ladyboy image.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 23 Apr 2012, 9:08 pm

The Tampax Arena
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Mon 23 Apr 2012, 9:14 pm

Hoog wrote:Lads it heartens me that you agree with my comment, I didn't want to over emphasise it as I don't agree with politics in sport but the fact that the majority of ulster posters agree with me is great.

I've always just found it so strange that it takes pride and place in Ravenhill when its a team thy represents part of the republic. I firmly believe it is one of the main points that stops southerns getting fully behind Ulster as a team.

I know that personally growing up I always looked at ulster as a bunch of left footers due to to deep rooted historical feeling, however as I've grown up and wised up a bit and come to the understanding that we all play towards the same goal of success for Ireland.

This was brought to the boil fully last November when i stood shoulder to shoulder to ky good buddy Rava, fully decked out in ulster gear. It was a massive personal milestone for myself and o hope more people like me can find it in themselves to SUFTUM when the time calls for it.

I for one will be shouting for them on Saturday as loud as I will be shouting for Leinster come Sunday

Believe

Sorry to rain on your parade but I don't agree. One reason why I don't care for international rugby is the fact that I don't feel represented. Why should Ulster stop flying the Unionjack (Though I have never seen them flying one personally) when Munster and Ireland fly the tri-colour so proudly and prominently? Which of course I have no problem with but Ulster are my team, not because I am Protestant or anything to do with my back ground or politics (I'm actually a socialist) but they are my team because I can relate to them, and one aspect is that they represent all of Northern Ireland, where I am from.

Someone once asked me would I rather see Ulster win the European cup or Ireland the world cup and I can honestly say Ulster winning the European cup, because, like I said I don't feel Ireland represent me.

If the IRFU decide to play another game up North why should the Ulster players not get the chance to sing their anthem? They stand respectfully through the South's so why can no one stand through Northern Ireland's anthem? What your suggesting is double standards.

Don't get me wrong here. I think Northern Ireland should have its own national anthem and flag and I don't agree with flying the Union jack flying (if it is flown) but I don't agree with sacrificing everything that makes us Ulster for cross community relations. Besides last I heard that works both ways.

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next