The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do Ulster have enough support for an expanded Ravenhill?

+28
marty2086
Mickado
GavinDragon
Kingshu
The Great Aukster
Goosestepper
tecphobe
logie28
PenfroPete
Pot Hale
Intotouch
JayMaster3000
Feckless Rogue
Dave.
Gibson
SecretFly
Suspicious lurker
clivemcl
Don Alfonso
Rava
MrsP
Rory_Gallagher
red_stag
BoyneRFC
geoff998rugby
Notch
Standulstermen
rodders
32 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Do Ulster have enough support for an expanded Ravenhill?  - Page 6 Empty Do Ulster have enough support for an expanded Ravenhill?

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 3:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

I'm going to throw this one out there.......

After attending the Leinster game last Friday I have a few concerns about the plans to expand Ravenhill to 18,000 capacity.

The atmosphere was really poor at the memorial end against Leinster. It seemed like quite a few people there knew very little about rugby and weren't really following the game. Silence wasn't being observed for the place kicks by quite a few.

Now given that this was the last home game of the season and assuming that this was a bigger than average crowd I would be questioning how many genuine Ulster rugby and genuine rugby fans are out there right now, who will attend regular games and can we actually fill a bigger ground on a regular basis?

Will Ravenhill lose some of its atmosphere? Are there more genuine fans out there and if so why aren't they attending the games now?

Personally I think Ulster still have a lot of work to do to tap into the growing popularity of rugby union in Ireland and gain cross community support across the province.

Having been in Limerick recently and seen the infrastucture at Thomond and the community support that Munster have Ulster have a long, long way to go as a brand and an organisation.

Reaching the HEC final would be a massive boost and generate a lot of interest but I think Ulster still have to work a lot harder because I'm not convinced that just relying on their core support from traditional rugby areas will be enough, from a player or fan base perspective to build a rugby club which will be able to match Munster and Leinster in the long term.

I was massively frustrated to see both Union flags being waved at Thomond and to recently see a person in a local supermarket wearing a Munster jersey. The idea that anyone, casual fan, or otherwise, in Ulster would support Munster before their own province fills me with deep frustration. These are small things but they are symbolic of the problems that Ulster need to overcome if we want to achieve Logan and Humphreys vision.

Why are Ulster flags not made readily available to fans, the way they are for Munster fans?

The Kukri store at Ravenhill had no power generator on Friday night and was lit by an assistant holding a hand torch FFS. Would that happen in Munster or Leinster a week out from a HEC SF?

Friday night games work best for the majority of Ulster supporters, understandably, but for fans in the West it is difficult to make the kick off at 7.05 pm. Munster at least make some effort to cater for fans in Cork, are Ulster branch trying hard enough to accommodate fans from across the province?

In terms of PR there seems to be a lot of hype around this Christian thing right now. Not that there's anything wrong with being a Christian, but there does seem to be often a big descrepancy between how the club and it's fans are percieved in the media and the actual reality. The McLaughlin thing obviously was a PR disaster so clearly there are big improvement needed on how the club deal with media.

Too often the term NI and Ulster is used interchangably from an Ulster perspective, which again is a small thing but it doesn't promote the image that Ulster are representing all of the 9 counties.

Small things but they add up and if we want to be the best then we need have high standards.

Anyways don't want to sound negative. There's a SF to be won and its a great time to be an Ulster fan, but looking forward I want us to be the best and we have a lot to work on to match Munster and Leinster, off the pitch as well as on it.

There's much more knowledgeable Ulster fans on here so I'd be interested on what others think.

SUFTUM guinness !

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Do Ulster have enough support for an expanded Ravenhill?  - Page 6 Empty Re: Do Ulster have enough support for an expanded Ravenhill?

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 03 May 2012, 10:24 pm

Rava

That's Ulster fans for you - they can be red (like a book).
Make sure you've got a few jokes up your sleeve, and reacquaint yourself with the Leinster highlights of last year to lift GoG's spirits - oh and have some Bush on tap to supplement them.

Enjoy the craic Do Ulster have enough support for an expanded Ravenhill?  - Page 6 1755038253

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Do Ulster have enough support for an expanded Ravenhill?  - Page 6 Empty Re: Do Ulster have enough support for an expanded Ravenhill?

Post by Gibson Thu 03 May 2012, 10:50 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:
Gibson wrote:Well, that put me in my place. Do Ulster have enough support for an expanded Ravenhill?  - Page 6 3610695981

And my apologies for the Ausk... Auks.

I like the way you did it too.

Every time I see your name (one of the best on here), I think of The Great Ausketeer. Dont aks me why... I dont know why.

Love & Peace.
Gisb

P.S. You going to the game Big Man?

No need to apologise - the Ausketeer fits perfectly with my swashbuckling persona. Perhaps my Freudian slip for Guy of Gisborne also works well for the Cup final? Everyone loves the Robin Hood underdogs taking on the aristocratic overlords and distributing the rugby wealth a bit more widely. Sadly I won't be able to see in person the passionate red love of Ulster shatter the tranquil blue peace of Leinster at Twickers, bummer but then I won't need the consolation of the craic to lift my spirits!

Enjoy the day
Ausk

Ha! Stirrings woids there. Excellent. Do Ulster have enough support for an expanded Ravenhill?  - Page 6 1145808659
Verrily, thou art the Great Ulster Ausketeer.

Enjoy the game yourself mo chara. Its going to be a fantastic day.

Really looking forward to it Rav. One of the greatest moments in Irish Rugby History and we'll be there - wearing the colours.

We dreamed of this last year in Cardiff. Remember? Unreal.

Tears will be shed. Before and after the game. Only one of us will be crying after the game. Nah, make that the two of us.

Yup. Do Ulster have enough support for an expanded Ravenhill?  - Page 6 1145808659 Do Ulster have enough support for an expanded Ravenhill?  - Page 6 1145808659

Love da bones of ya.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 09 May 2012, 10:04 am

Looks like Ulster will be playing their first match in Derry! Yahoo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-18002506#
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Wed 09 May 2012, 10:28 am

I'll come across for that rodders
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Wed 09 May 2012, 10:36 am

Where will they play? Brandywell?

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 09 May 2012, 10:50 am

No idea. I suppose we'll have to wait and see... this wouldn't be the first pie in sky anouncement from DCU and the UK-CoC crowd.

Its great that this has even been anounced though. Even if its the Ravens or 2nd string it would be a really positive development imo.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed 09 May 2012, 11:08 am

Great News and I hope it happens Rodders.

You are quite right about the pie in the sky aspirations of DCU.
About a year ago we did a feasibility study to turn the old Fruit of the Loom factory into an arena capable of hosting the likes of the MTV awards etc. Turns out not all were on board and they didn't really have the money available.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 09 May 2012, 11:37 am

It will be a Ravens type side but even so great news

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 09 May 2012, 11:44 am

Rava wrote:
You are quite right about the pie in the sky aspirations of DCU.
About a year ago we did a feasibility study to turn the old Fruit of the Loom factory into an arena capable of hosting the likes of the MTV awards etc. Turns out not all were on board and they didn't really have the money available.

steam ....don't get me started Rava! censored

Shower of eejits! Couldn't organise a p*$$ up in a brewery! furious

Hopefully this happens though...any ideas what venue?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 09 May 2012, 7:00 pm

Afoa and Payne up doing a bit of coaching with the kids at City of Derry RFC today too.

Great to see. Keep up the good work Ulster branch! OK

SUFTUM! guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Wed 09 May 2012, 7:01 pm

The game is scheduled for the City of Derry rugby ground

Afoa is supposed to be in Portugal Shocked

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 09 May 2012, 7:03 pm

Just thinking that Geoff, maybe it was a recorded piece BBC News? I'm sure it was today?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 09 May 2012, 7:05 pm

Fantastic stuff, well done Ulster Rugby Smile

Be a great boost for rugby in Derry hi!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 09 May 2012, 7:12 pm

You're telling me hi! Very Happy
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed 09 May 2012, 7:28 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:The game is scheduled for the City of Derry rugby ground

Afoa is supposed to be in Portugal Shocked

I've seen pictures of the lads in Portugal and Payne and Afoa are definately there!

At least they were when the pics were taken!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 09 May 2012, 7:34 pm

Relax panic over! The session was last friday!:

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/branch/news/10509.php

Sorry ..... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Wed 09 May 2012, 7:51 pm

Rodders my nerves are edge as it is - no more scares before next Saturday please ...the old heart wont take it Do Ulster have enough support for an expanded Ravenhill?  - Page 6 3933776953

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Shauna784 Wed 09 May 2012, 8:05 pm

rodders wrote:Looks like Ulster will be playing their first match in Derry! Yahoo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-18002506#

Woohoo!! Fantastic news and if it's at COD grounds then even better cause it's not too far from me Very Happy

Shauna784

http://www.twitter.com/#!/shaunabean

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 09 May 2012, 8:16 pm

John Afoa will make such a massive difference in the final if he's fit! Like an extra backrower (hoary cliche alert)

My big concern is the fitness of Chris Henry. Henry was brilliant this year for our forst seven games. Neutralising the backrows of Clermont and Munster- not bad for a guy who only has 1 cap. He deserves to be there.

A backrow of Ferris, Diack and Wannenburg is slightly awkward.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6