The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chavez Jnr vs Martinez is signed!

+9
The Galveston Giant
bhb001
paperbag_puncher
Strongback
School Project
BoxingFan88
TopHat24/7
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Commander
13 posters

Go down

Chavez Jnr vs Martinez is signed! Empty Chavez Jnr vs Martinez is signed!

Post by Commander Wed 25 Apr 2012, 8:51 pm

As long as Chavez Jnr beats Lee.

Source: http://wbcboxing.com/wbcVersEng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2128&Itemid=80

Commander

Back to top Go down

Chavez Jnr vs Martinez is signed! Empty Re: Chavez Jnr vs Martinez is signed!

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 25 Apr 2012, 9:06 pm

About time,

Chavez-lee should be fun while it last but Chavez should easily get beat him.

Hopefully Martinez knocks him spark out

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 25 Apr 2012, 9:45 pm

Saw Jose mentioning something about this on Twitter but he only posted it in Spanish so I didn't totally understand what he was getting on at.

Great news though, can't wait to see Chavez get spanked.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 25 Apr 2012, 10:28 pm

What are contracts worth these days? Martinez will definitely get the belt, whether he has to fight Chavez to get it is another story....

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 26 Apr 2012, 1:50 am

Well done to the WBC for silently negotiating with both parties...

Expect the fight to be sanctioned in Texas, with the following judges:

Jerry Roth, Glenn Trowbridge and Dave Moretti.

Chavez will weigh 160lbs on the weigh in, will walk in at 180+ and will forget to take a random blood test. The fight will go to the cards as Chavez will avoid Martinez like the plague but will be seen to "dominate the ring with his jab", thus winning a "spectacular fight of the ages".

This is a guarantee.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 26 Apr 2012, 7:22 am

Don't see Chavez just brushing Lee aside in an easy win. I see it as a genuine match up. Chavez is the obvious favourite but I see Lee giving him a decent test.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Thu 26 Apr 2012, 8:34 am

Strongback wrote:Don't see Chavez just brushing Lee aside in an easy win. I see it as a genuine match up. Chavez is the obvious favourite but I see Lee giving him
a decent test.

Yeah I'd always be wary of someone looking past their next fight..

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 26 Apr 2012, 9:52 am

Many a slip between cup and lip ....

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 26 Apr 2012, 10:29 am

Great news for Andy Lee then, no point in him showing up unless he can stop Chavez, who'll be a light-heavyweight at least come fight night.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:07 am

The Galveston Giant wrote:Great news for Andy Lee then, no point in him showing up unless he can stop Chavez, who'll be a light-heavyweight at least come fight night.

This is true. With Martinez v Chavez set to go I doubt Lee can win unless by KO.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:27 am

manos de piedra wrote:
The Galveston Giant wrote:Great news for Andy Lee then, no point in him showing up unless he can stop Chavez, who'll be a light-heavyweight at least come fight night.

This is true. With Martinez v Chavez set to go I doubt Lee can win unless by KO.

In fairness, GBP had Khan set up to explode onto the Welter scene and Peterson was viewed pretty much as having to turn up and get beat. That one didn't go the promoters way.

But JCCjr is a different kettle of fish though. I don't even want to watch this fight against Lee due to the location of the fight alone. Texas and Top Rank have been in some form recently with the shaftings
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:30 am

Abril could probably give Lee some tips on what to expect if theres a bigger fight lined up by Top Rank.

He going to have to do what salido did to Lopez to be sure of winning.

Having said that, I actually expect Chavez to win without any favours.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:33 am

manos de piedra wrote: Having said that, I actually expect Chavez to win without any favours.

Really Shocked

I've got a feeling Lee will win or get shafted on the cards.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:50 am

I dont really see anything in Lee to make me think he should win this. Much gets made of the padding in Chavez Jrs record but its not like Lee has beaten anything better. The last fight I saw with Lee was against McEwan though about a year ago so perhaps hes improved since then.He will need to have to beat Chavez I think.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 26 Apr 2012, 12:10 pm

Well if Chavez comes in at the ridiculous weight he did last time then it will be hard to see how Lee will stop him.

I really really hope Chavez gets arrested or something again just before the fight and HBO squrm over the thought of asking him about it like last time. always makes a good talking point.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 26 Apr 2012, 12:11 pm

I think Craig McEwan is an underrated boxer. He has got great skills but does need to work on his stamina, as he is with Billy Nelson (Burns and John Simpson trainer) am sure he will address this issue.

McEwan was boxing rings around Lee in the first half of there fight which is a little cause for concern but I think McEwan has far superior skills to those of Chavez.

I just think Chavez will struggle with Lee's southpaw stance, Lee has also got good power and a stinging jab which is not generally used as a range finder.

The fight being in Texas does mean he will have to win and win convincingly otherwise expect him to be shafted, especially with the Martinez fight already being line up.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 26 Apr 2012, 12:19 pm

I see Chavez winning a dull fight on points, without any real controversy. Neither are particularly mobile, both are hurtful rather than devastating punchers at the highest level, and if Chavez comes in at 180-odd lb again, chances are he'll use his weight to smother Lee and slow him down - although it's perhaps worth noting that Lee is certainly not a small Middleweight, either.

Chavez by something like 116-113, 117-111, 116-112.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 26 Apr 2012, 12:57 pm

Id have to disagree with you on Lee jab. From the fights Ive seen him in his jab is isnt really great and is a bit pawing and used to kind of distract his opponent rather than bust them up. For me his best punch is the left hook which seems to be a genuine hurtful punch to either head or body. I thinks hes good when hes attacking.

But defensively I think Lee is very open. Against Vera, in both fights he was getting hit all the time. I also think he lacks the mobility to use the ring well. He seems flat footed at times. Lee is probably best when he is fighting at distance and able to step in to throw good hooks to head and body which is something he does well. But I would anticipate Chavez being a more accomplished fighter up close and probably more durable. I just dont see Lee having either the jab or the footwork to keep Chavez from swarming all over him and up close I think Chavez size and strength at the weight will bully Lee. I actually think Lee has power as an equaliser but if Chavez is able to fight up close and crowd Lee out then I dont think Lee will be able to get the leverage into his punches to hurt Chavez.

I think its a fair point about the southpaw stance possibly giving Chavez a headache - especially the left hook which could cause damage. But I dont think Lee is a tricky southpaw in the way Martinez is slippery. He lacks the movement, agility and footwork of someone like Martinez to make it awkward enough for Chavez in my opinion. If Lee does win I think it will a come from behind style victory like against McEwan courtesy of his power, rather than being able to outbox Chavez. But my prediction would be that he loses either by at least 4 rounds or gets worn down the stretch by being bullied by Chavez and being too easy to hit. But its over a year since Ive seen Lee in action so I might try and revisit some of his more recent fights if I get the chance to see if he has improved.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down