The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Martinez-chavez Jr. 2??

+5
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
jimmy glitter pants
ONETWOFOREVER
BallchinianMuffwig
9 posters

Go down

Martinez-chavez Jr. 2?? Empty Martinez-chavez Jr. 2??

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sat 10 Nov - 20:21

Just read up on RingTV that there's talks going on for a second Martinez-Chavez Jr bout next year (they report as far away as next September which sounds a bit mad but Sergio getting knee surgery so probably excusable.)

Does anyone see the point in this? I'd picture the exact same scenario but on closer scorecards as I'm guessing Martinez would be a bit more defensively-oriented. How do you think it would go.

Cheers

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Martinez-chavez Jr. 2?? Empty Re: Martinez-chavez Jr. 2??

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 10 Nov - 20:28

Martinez is not getting anyb younger. He needs to secure a big fight instead of playing with spoilt little brats like Chavez.

I would love to see him face GGG.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmy glitter pants Sat 10 Nov - 20:34

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Martinez is not getting anyb younger. He needs to secure a big fight instead of playing with spoilt little brats like Chavez.

I would love to see him face GGG.

I think Golovkin would blow him out of the water tbh but would be an intresting scrap never the less.

jimmy glitter pants

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 10 Nov - 21:04

Golovkin made light work of Chavez in sparring and regularly spars light heavies and cruisers, so if Chavez could hurt martinez then you would worry what Golovkin could do to him

Chavez hasn't been given his ban yet to my knowledge so that's why September may be touted as a date. There have been a lot of reports linking Chavez to a April date fight with Macklin which imo he could lose very easily and could pan out like Zbik-Chavez but with better stamina from Macklin

Martinez dominated him and is getting on so he can't be any better than the first fight but could well be worse

If he fights mayweather, Alvarez he could lose also if he doesn't show great recovery from his recent injuries or gets old overnight so that could put a spanner in the works

If it happens Martinez UD a little closer, Chavez can't make 160 and his stamina is being affected by it

Last edited by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs on Sat 10 Nov - 21:27; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 10 Nov - 21:08

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Golovkin made light work of Chavez in sparring and regularly spars light heavies and cruisers, so if Chavez could hurts towns then you would worry what Golovkin could do to him

Chavez hasn't been given his ban yet to my knowledge so that's why September may be touted as a date. There have been a lot of reports linking Chavez to a April date fight with Macklin which imo he could lose very easily and could pan out like Zbik-Chavez but with better stamina from Macklin

Martinez dominated him and is getting on so he can't be any better than the first fight but could well be worse

If he fights mayweather, Alvarez he could lose also if he doesn't show great recovery from his recent injuries or gets old overnight so that could put a spanner in the works

If it happens Martinez UD a little closer, Chavez can't make 160 and his stamina is being affected by it

What????

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 10 Nov - 21:10

WHU, are you using an iphone by any chance. All your posts are crazy with predicted text haha.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 10 Nov - 21:13

little harsh, martinez looked amazing last time out, dont think gennedy has been in with good enough opposition yet to make a call, its okay looking good against lesser foes but martinez is a level above, look at bute when he came across a top world class fighter for the first time

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 10 Nov - 21:27

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:WHU, are you using an iphone by any chance. All your posts are crazy with predicted text haha.

Haha how could you tell, the thing is bloody useless

"So if Chavez could hurt Martinez" it should read

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sat 10 Nov - 21:28

Yeah I think Golovkins being a bit oversold, he has a huge punch and good amateur background, solid basic skill set but I thought he looked easy to hit, lacked top level handspeed, and wasn't all that quick on his feet. Proksa was quicker than him, just couldnt avoid/take his best shots.

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 10 Nov - 21:30

BallchinianMuffwig wrote:Yeah I think Golovkins being a bit oversold, he has a huge punch and good amateur background, solid basic skill set but I thought he looked easy to hit, lacked top level handspeed, and wasn't all that quick on his feet. Proksa was quicker than him, just couldnt avoid/take his best shots.

I agree that GGG is a bit of a tiny hype job but fact remains that he should get a shot at Martinez who at this moment in time would do exactly the same thing to GGG as he did to Chavez.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sat 10 Nov - 21:33

I wouldnt say "hype job" he's definately got p4p potential, but he's being touted by most people on here to beat everyone in the division no problem. I'd be surprised if he didn't encounter various hurdles when fighting the likes of Martinez. Besides even if he beats Sergio the "he is old" excuse will always be there to justify the loss.

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 10 Nov - 21:38

Perhaps the hype is gathering but you have to look at Martinez not just in the Chavez fight but the fights with the 2 Brits and you also have to decide how highly you rate chavez

I'm the first to say he has never impressed me, he robbed Molina years ago and likewise to Zbik (who got knocked out by a past it Sturm) and looked average vs average opposition. Golovkin has looked amazing vs average opposition. Golovkin would have stopped Zbik and Rubio had he hit them as much as Chavez did, yet chavez's power was enough to have Martinez off his feet regardless of how good he looked for 11 rounds

Macklin and barker gave Martinez problems and where fairly level on scorecards about 8+ rounds through but Martinez power shone through. Neither are those are as big, as good or hit as hard as Golovkin or have his chin so hence why I think tht GGG would eat him after being outboxed for periods of there fights

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 10 Nov - 21:42

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Perhaps the hype is gathering but you have to look at Martinez not just in the Chavez fight but the fights with the 2 Brits and you also have to decide how highly you rate chavez

I'm the first to say he has never impressed me, he robbed Molina years ago and likewise to Zbik (who got knocked out by a past it Sturm) and looked average vs average opposition. Golovkin has looked amazing vs average opposition. Golovkin would have stopped Zbik and Rubio had he hit them as much as Chavez did, yet chavez's power was enough to have Martinez off his feet regardless of how good he looked for 11 rounds

Macklin and barker gave Martinez problems and where fairly level on scorecards about 8+ rounds through but Martinez power shone through. Neither are those are as big, as good or hit as hard as Golovkin or have his chin so hence why I think tht GGG would eat him after being outboxed for periods of there fights

Thats if GGG can catch Martinez. As I have said Martinez will adopt the same approach as he did against Chavez and I do not see him willing to trade with GGG as he did against Chavez in that final round when he got hurt. That was stupid of Sergio and I doubt he would make the same mistake against the harder hitting yet slower GGG.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 10 Nov - 21:50

Martinez is unorthodox hence why he gives the illusion that he elusive, but if you look at any of his fights he always gets caught with big shots, not that bad but he's no mayweather. Pavlik, Williams, Macklin and Barker managed to catch Martinez cleanly on a number of occasions and experianced a couple of knockdowns in those fights. Pavlik was probably about the same pace as GGG and while Chavez may have faster hands he rids himself of that advantage with his awful and sloppy footwork

It's all good saying Martinez won't want to trade etc but he is a warrior and unfortunately he won't stop that no-matter who he fights and as he ages it'll be harder and harder for him to come back and trade with these bigger men and recover like he does

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 10 Nov - 21:57

It took 12 rounds for Chavez to catch Martinez effectivly and that was because Martinez left his chin in the air in order to trade. Warriors start trading a lot earlier then that, Martinez took a gamble and wanted to prove a point and got star spangle bannered for his efforts.

With a ko ratio like that of GGG, Martinez will just stick to what he does best and thats being as small a target as possible for as long as possible. Sure he gets tagged now and again but no humdingers.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 10 Nov - 23:15

Martinez is fighting in Argentina first as a home coming, after that he will bash up Chavez again.

I firmly believe had he not bust his hand early in the fight he would have knocked him out cold. The first time Martinez put some fizz into that left hand was when he bust up Chavez's eye and Chavez was badly hurt by it, good job for him it came at the end of the round.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 10 Nov - 23:23

I don't at all agree that Martinez isn't elusive, you can't fight with your hands down and not be elusive....

Pavlik is a very hard puncher at middleweight, Martinez moved up into a new division and if he gets hit as flush as you say he does, he either has one of the best chins in boxing or Pavlik lost all of his power when he got bashed up by Hopkins. The only knockdown in that fight was where Martinez was off balance and he didn't even get hit with a good shot.

Martinez got caught by Chavez when he was desperately tired after fighting someone much much heavier than him for 12 rounds. He also broke his hand early in the fight so had to use a lot more movement.

As for GGG he looks very easy to hit, however he can bang. Personally I would make Martinez the slight favourite due to his handspeed and experience at the top level, wouldn't be surprised if GGG wins it as he is a beast. Also wouldn't be surprised if Martinez knocks him out.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 10 Nov - 23:40

Didn't say that he isn't elusive, just said that he's not the type to go through a whole fight without getting caught flush as he does have his hands down so when he does get hit it normally is pretty clean

Chavez may not have knocked Martinez down untill the 12th but martinez had taken a couple of big shots in the previous rounds although he took them well and was still outworking a lethargic and weight drained Chavez.

Also like I said he has good powers of recovery which could go with age (and injury) as the Golovkin fight wouldn't be untill late 2013, because as you said he managed to take a big punching pavlik's power and was buzzed and came back stronger which he wasn't able to do vs Chavez because his legs where that much older

Golovkin has a better jab (chavez doesnt even have a jab tbh) and showed that he has no problem with southpaws by dismantling the closest fighter stylistically to Martinez in Proska. Proska isn't Martinez but he is very hard to figure out and wear down plus he has speed and power to boot yet Golovkin dismantled him without any problems

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 11 Nov - 0:04

Golovkin has bodysnatcher power which may help him beat people who are superior in skill. Reminds me of Chavez Sr on a mw scale. Just sapping the opponents reserves until they let up and leave themselves open just once too often

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 11 Nov - 0:13

It will be interesting and knowing Martinez track record he won't duck him.

Any ideas who GGG is going to be fighting next?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 11 Nov - 0:22

BoxingFan88 wrote:It will be interesting and knowing Martinez track record he won't duck him.

Any ideas who GGG is going to be fighting next?

That's the problem, he isn't a name and doesn't guarantee a big enough payday for the risk. However, the American's liked his debut vs Proska and word about his sparring (battering) Canelo, Chavez, cruisers etc is going about so hopefully he can get the bigger fights

He has been ascended to full WBA titleholder after Geale was stripped for not fighting him (due to money) so hopefully that opens some doors.

Rumour has it that he was looking to go to 168 to fight unbeaten Thomas oosthuizan in search of an opponent but it feel through and oosthuizan won tonight so it may happen again

Pretty sure Quillin said he would fight GGG (doubt it) and that would be a great fight between 2 heavy handed fighters

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 11 Nov - 0:30

Think Quillin would get taken out late, his last fight was terrific though.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 11 Nov - 1:06

AlexHuckerby wrote:Think Quillin would get taken out late, his last fight was terrific though.

I would probably agree but if quillin can hurt Golovkin it would be interesting as quillin can take a punch, has good skills but didn't look like he had great stamina in his last fight which will show vs a body puncher like Golovkin. Quillin won his last fight clearly but (although I'm not 100% sure) I think I gave N'dan 8 rounds but 3 of the rounds he lost where 10-7 rounds as he hit the deck 6 times

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 11 Nov - 2:43

i'd like to see gennedy against someone like macklin before going for a huge fight against martinez, not that i wouldnt love that fight too, he could just do with a little more of a test before jumping in the deep end

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 11 Nov - 5:33

GGG with Macklin would be great, after Macklin won impressively in his last fight.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down