The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now youre talking Meyer...invest in your cubs...

4 posters

Go down

Now youre talking Meyer...invest in your cubs... Empty Now youre talking Meyer...invest in your cubs...

Post by Taylorman Fri 27 Apr 2012, 11:05 pm

In the wake started successfully by Wales and Oz last couple of years England and now SA look to be putting faith in their youth. Ireland and NZ should be set to follow. I'd expect some topsy turvy results over the next couple of seasons while these kids find their their way at varying degrees of success and maturity but an exciting brand of game is on the horizon I'm sure:

http://www.allblacks.com/news/19210/Springboks-may-field-young-team

""I must say when I started the team that I thought probably would start, and I've said I would give everyone a fair chance has changed a lot," Meyer said.

"Like I said, I thought it would be an experienced side just to get us going and get the continuity because the guys know a lot of the stuff and lead the youngsters.".

"But it's changed a lot and I think we'll go for a younger team than I expected to go with."

Good stuff thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Now youre talking Meyer...invest in your cubs... Empty Re: Now youre talking Meyer...invest in your cubs...

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 29 Apr 2012, 8:55 am

I wonder what has motivated this thinking out loud. I don't think it's a sign of weakness to state publicly your initial thinking was wrong. But I can't help but wonder whether this is just a smokescreen to keep people guessing. He doesn't name specific players but it'd be refreshing to see veterans not only like Matfield discarded - legend though that he is - but also the likes of M Steyn who send out a clear message of Bok tactics. Lambie would send a message that the Boks intend to play perhaps a more varied game.

For the ABs, Cruden looks comfortable playing for the Chiefs and Hika Eliot looks a player for the future. We need a new halfback and someone to replace Kaino and Thorn. I think both SA and NZ have a lot more changes to come than the likes of a young relatively settled Australia side but I don't see that necessarily as a bad thing. You don't replace the likes of Matfield, Fourie, Thorn or Kaino with players of equal class. They were too good and too experienced for that. But when you introduce young players, you often introduce vitality and enthusiasm not just from the players selected but by those around them keen to show them the ropes and you also give hope and motivation to those on the fringe of selection as well.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Now youre talking Meyer...invest in your cubs... Empty Re: Now youre talking Meyer...invest in your cubs...

Post by emack2 Sun 29 Apr 2012, 2:27 pm

Given that the relevant tours are in a gap in the Super15,that ALL players are likely to be involved only a week before the first test.It is highly unlikely either Boks or AB`s will blood young players,Both Coaches will want a winning start to their careers.These are TEST Matches for a Bok or AllBlack there is no such thing as a FRIENDLY TEST.This is THE best chance England and Ireland have to nick a win.Expect new blood in the AI`s not before injuries permitting Super Form is not relevant to Test form.IF your franchise is struggling like Hurricanes last year and Blues this.Then players in that franchise will be shown in a poor light as Nonu,Weepu,Mealamu,Ali Williams atest.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 02 May 2012, 7:25 am

I agree with alan, it is unlikely that Meyer will experiment too much. The All Blacks and Wallabies have rather settled squads and don't need to experiment.

SA on the other hand has to fill some positions such as Loose head, Hooker, Locks, Halfback,and Centres.

Beast might not be ready, so Coenie Oosthuizen or Dean Greyling could be called up, Bismarck will fill the number 2 spot, The locks could be Andries Bekker and either Flip v d Merwe or Juandre Kruger, Halfback would be Hougaard if Fourie du Preez isn't available, and centres could be Frans Steyn and either Juande Jongh, JP Pietersen or even Bryan Habana.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down