The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread

+49
Comfort
Huwball
Goosestepper
profitius
Cardiff Dave
Valleyboy
The Great Aukster
21st Century Schizoid Man
Thomond
Liam
Taffineastbourne
J_D
Imperialbigdave
Rava
IanBru
GunsGerms
doctor_grey
mckay1402
asoreleftshoulder
LondonTiger
valjester
The Boss
Artful_Dodger
LemonyVodka5
rodders
Morgannwg
eirebilly
red_stag
MMC
Mickado
Cari
Rory_Gallagher
Shifty
LordDowlais
Breadvan
SecretFly
glamorganalun
MrsP
Gibson
LeinsterFan4life
sheephead
Jenifer McLadyboy
Feckless Rogue
maestegmafia
Notch
geoff998rugby
thebluesmancometh
Pot Hale
mrzimmerman
53 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread - Page 8 Empty Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread

Post by mrzimmerman Mon 7 May - 14:35

First topic message reminder :

Teams announced;

Ospreys

15 Richard Fussell
14 Hanno Dirksen
13 Andrew Bishop
12 Ashley Beck
11 Shane Williams
10 Dan Biggar
9 Kahn Fotuali'i
1 Paul James
2 Richard Hibbard
3 Adam Jones
4 Alun Wyn Jones (Capt)
5 Ian Evans
6 Ryan Jones
7 Justin Tipuric
8 Joe Bearman

Replacements:

16 Scott Baldwin
17 Ryan Bevington
18 Aaron Jarvis
19 James King
20 Tom Smith
21 Rhys Webb
22 Matthew Morgan
23 Tom Isaacs

Munster: F Jones; J Murphy, K Earls, L Mafi, S Zebo; I Keatley, C Murray; W du Preez, M Sherry, BJ Botha; D O'Callaghan, M O'Driscoll; D Ryan, T O'Donnell, P O'Mahony.

Replacements: D Fogarty, D Kilcoyne, S Archer, Dave O'Callaghan, P Butler, T O'Leary, R O'Gara, I Dineen.

Big game Friday night. Any other Welsh region would be underdogs against one of the 3 main Irish teams in a big match either home or away BUT the Ospreys aren't. Reason being they aren't afraid of Munster, Leinster or Ulster as results this year have shown. The home side are favourites(this was further cemented by POC being announced as injured for the match). Saying this, there's no way that Munster will fear travelling to the Liberty. They are a strong, physical unit and will be desperate to win the Pro12 and retain their Celtic league crown.

I'm hoping for a flowing game but think both teams will play to their strengths in their respective packs. Where as to an extent the other semi is a David v Goliath I'd say this is far more evenly matched.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's views on the likely teams, key battles and anything else related.

Will update the post with teams as announced tomorrow. Have removed the dr strangelove ref from the title of the thread, got fed up of seeing it after a while.

Last edited by georgestowersbiceps on Thu 10 May - 13:45; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : the teams)

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread

Post by Thomond Sat 12 May - 13:01

Munster have a very solid pack, ROG did well in the clutch with big kicks but if he had performed better we could have been out of sight in some of those games if it wasn't for some poor decision making.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread

Post by maestegmafia Sat 12 May - 13:07

Steve Tandy paid tribute to the team effort that saw the Ospreys through to the RaboDirect PRO12 final in a fortnight in such stunning style on Friday night, but issued a warning to his players that they need to remain focused and remember that they've won nothing yet.

Head Coach Tandy had watched on as his charges ran in five tries against European giants Munster at the Liberty Stadium on a fantastic night for the region, and addressing a busy media room following the game Tandy stressed that there's a lot of work still to be done before anyone can start celebrating.
Asked for his view on the performance, he commented:

"The boys have been great, they've worked really hard in training and we saw the results of that on the field tonight. I thought our defence was outstanding apart from that first lapse when we went seven nil down. Our execution when we turned the ball over was very impressive. Like we just said in the changing room now though, it's great to have a semi-final win but we haven't won the tournament yet so it's important now to regroup and get ready for the final against Leinster or Glasgow.

"The turning point I think was the try at the end of the first half, it was a big boost for us. It was a great counter from us. I did feel we'd put ourselves under a bit of pressure in the first half; we didn't execute some things like we would have wanted to, we didn't go to plan a little bit on that but we made up for it in our defence. Some of the tackles tonight were unbelievable and we were really accurate when we turned the ball over which is something that we are really pleased with. It's just about enjoying the night now, the weekend, then coming back in on Tuesday and refocusing because it's another massive game coming up.

"These boys are really tight and you can see them in the changing rooms, they are happy in each others company. There's all smiles on faces, but when we need to focus in to do their work they really do. It's a great place to come to work.

"It's about the team tonight, not just 1-23, it's the core guys who've played right throughout our campaign and put us in such a good league position with an excellent start to the season during the World Cup, it's everyone behind the scenes who've worked hard to prepare this team. It was something special and we're really proud of everyone's performance.

"I thought the support tonight was unbelievable as well. The noise they were making was fantastic. It really helps the guys and you could see that in the performance. We've got a young group but we're developing something in the team that's really exciting for us, for now and going forward.

"We'll pay full respect to whoever we play in the final, Leinster or Glasgow, the are two terrific teams, but I want it to be about us. The focus is going to be on our performance and how we try to impose ourselves on the final, whoever the opposition may be."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sat 12 May - 13:09

Thomond wrote:Munster have a very solid pack, ROG did well in the clutch with big kicks but if he had performed better we could have been out of sight in some of those games if it wasn't for some poor decision making.

More or less a complete change in the pack from the group HC stages, including missing POC. Don't think that pack was very solid last night, tbh. That must have been our 3 choice backrow - and that was Micko's last game as he is retiring.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 12 May - 13:13

Sin, you're right, injuries played a part but the big issue is this. Munster were competitive until ROG came on. There's no denying that. ROG hindered us in the HC 1/4. It is a problem and you're simply ignoring it.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 12 May - 13:40

Thomond wrote:Sin, you're right, injuries played a part but the big issue is this. Munster were competitive until ROG came on. There's no denying that. ROG hindered us in the HC 1/4. It is a problem and you're simply ignoring it.

Guys,

A massive part of ROG's input throughout his career was reliance on a pack with a sublime lineout. DOC and POC were the best around for so many years.

You cant play a territory game if you cant rely on a strong lineout.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 12 May - 13:42

Me? I'm still smiling... Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 12 May - 13:42

You're doing ROG a bit of a diservice Maestag, he was a lot more than that. This season, Munster had a reasonably solid lineout, he is trying to play like Sexton when he is not, that's pretty much all there is to it.

As you should be Cari, I expect you will be for another few days!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sat 12 May - 13:47

Thomond wrote:Sin, you're right, injuries played a part but the big issue is this. Munster were competitive until ROG came on. There's no denying that. ROG hindered us in the HC 1/4. It is a problem and you're simply ignoring it.

I'd deny that. Munster burst out of the blocks and scored a try, after about 10 mins the Os got into the game and started building the scores (10/15 mins before O'Gara came on). The killer blow was the try just before half-time, but it was coming from way before O'Gara came on. You might also factor in that Johne Murphy (a reasonably experienced player) was replaced by Keatley at FB, and hasn't played there for at least a season. Barnes was the utility sub which meant that he wasn't going to go on until near the end of the game in case there was injuries.

Your ignoring the issue that O'Gara has hardly played rugby since January (and even when he was used as a sub, he didn't take the kicks) so was not really match sharp enough for a QF. The fact that he picked up a leg injury in the QF might suggest that he was way off the fitness to play 80 mins.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 12 May - 13:50

Then why the feic do you bring him on so? Move Earls to full back, Barnes to centre, you do whatever to win the game it's a versatile backline anyway with Dineen, Earls and Mafi in there . Sin, you're making excuses, I've felt like this for the whole season and yesterday confirmed that Keatley or Deasy heck even Hanrahan need to play there for Musnter to be successful. I don't see Rog standing flat now, if he does, that could change things up a bit but he probably won't and it's time to move on anyway. Teams that hold onto fading stars don't tend to do that well in the long run.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 12 May - 13:52

Thomond wrote:

As you should be Cari, I expect you will be for another few days!

It was tinged with a little sadness though Thom cause we're losing some great players and it's the last time we'll see them at the Lib (unless Glasgae can do the business). I got a bit of a lump in my throat seeing PJ wandering about after his MOTM award, and Tommy too. Gawd I'm gonna miss him.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sat 12 May - 13:53

maestegmafia wrote:

Guys,

A massive part of ROG's input throughout his career was reliance on a pack with a sublime lineout. DOC and POC were the best around for so many years.

And a fairly handy backrow of Quinlan, Leamy, Wally, Foley - all multi-capped internationals. We had 3 young lads last night who I hope learned a lot. POM is going to be top class (not there yet). Not sure about Tommy O'Donnell. Ryan will be POC's partner in the 2nd row.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 12 May - 13:55

Thomond wrote:You're doing ROG a bit of a diservice Maestag, he was a lot more than that. This season, Munster had a reasonably solid lineout, he is trying to play like Sexton when he is not, that's pretty much all there is to it.

Not intentionally, I admire all that he has been throughout his career. Trust me as opposition, Wales or Ospreys, seeing ROG's name on the teamsheet does not inspire confidence in the prospective result.

In any sport you need to have one aspect where you know you have an upper hand over the opposition to be confident to explore other aspects of your game.

A tennis player with a cracking serve, wont worry about his long game so much, when he is confident that he has an upper hand in the serve..

The control POC and DOC and the Munster front five had at the lineout for years was ROGs ace card. If they needed to pressure an opposition all he had to do was pin them back with kicking. As a great game manager he brings the rest of the game together.

That said, I was very impressed with Keatley, that is a talented successor in waiting.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 12 May - 13:56

Sin é wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Guys,

And a fairly handy backrow of Quinlan, Leamy, Wally, Foley - all multi-capped internationals. We had 3 young lads last night who I hope learned a lot. POM is going to be top class (not there yet). Not sure about Tommy O'Donnell. Ryan will be POC's partner in the 2nd row.

Give the three lads out last night a season and we will be praising them. POM has a great game O'Donnell is a clever player too.

Not munsters greatest season this year, but there is a hell of a lot to be excited about for next season.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sat 12 May - 14:04

Thomond wrote:Then why the feic do you bring him on so? Move Earls to full back, Barnes to centre, you do whatever to win the game it's a versatile backline anyway with Dineen, Earls and Mafi in there . Sin, you're making excuses, I've felt like this for the whole season and yesterday confirmed that Keatley or Deasy heck even Hanrahan need to play there for Musnter to be successful. I don't see Rog standing flat now, if he does, that could change things up a bit but he probably won't and it's time to move on anyway. Teams that hold onto fading stars don't tend to do that well in the long run.

I don't think Keatly was controlling the game very well. A choice was made to have two playmakers on the field. Keatley has had a few mixed games. Hanrahan didn't make the starting B+I final team. Deasy - one good game? Really!

ROG won't stand flat because the backrow are not up to it. Same with Sexton, he doesn't stand flat when playing for Ireland either. All depends on how aggressive the opposition defences are I suppose.

You only get rid of your ageing stars if you've got the makings of something better.

As for the excuses - only picking holes in you fingering out of one player in your 'blame game.'
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 12 May - 14:36

Sin é wrote:
Thomond wrote:Then why the feic do you bring him on so? Move Earls to full back, Barnes to centre, you do whatever to win the game it's a versatile backline anyway with Dineen, Earls and Mafi in there . Sin, you're making excuses, I've felt like this for the whole season and yesterday confirmed that Keatley or Deasy heck even Hanrahan need to play there for Musnter to be successful. I don't see Rog standing flat now, if he does, that could change things up a bit but he probably won't and it's time to move on anyway. Teams that hold onto fading stars don't tend to do that well in the long run.

I don't think Keatly was controlling the game very well. A choice was made to have two playmakers on the field. Keatley has had a few mixed games.

Keatley only had about twenty mins to impress at flyhalf before he was moved to fullback. To be honest I wasnt overly impressed with him previously, but he made a positive impact from ten and fifteen last night.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 12 May - 14:52

Sin é wrote:
ROG won't stand flat because the backrow are not up to it. Same with Sexton, he doesn't stand flat when playing for Ireland either. All depends on how aggressive the opposition defences are I suppose.

That has feic all to do with it. He's standing deep because he doesn't want the defence coming on to him and to buy himself time and maybe he does't trust Murray or TOL the way he did Stringer.

Standing deep is fine if you are going to kick the ball, but you cannot launch attacking plays when you are 5 metres behind the gainline. All that happens is the defence moves up and you lose ground and get turned over, as happened last night ad finitum. When you end up getting stopped behind the gainline the backrow have to work far harder to get back behind the ruck to compete for the ball, thats what happened Ireland against Wales and last night was even more obvious.

Its not all ROG's fault, its the scrum half too, but ROG played a big part in Munsters downfall last night.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 12 May - 14:59

I forgot to say....

clap Mafi and Mick O'Driscoll.

Great servants to Munster and in MOD's case Ireland too. MOD in particular has been a real unsung hero and very underrated.

Mafi has had a great season for Munster.

All the best lads, thanks for the memories guinness

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 12 May - 14:59

Was it not ROG who was isolated and tackled by Tuperic that the Ospreys turned over just prior to the Dirksen try?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 12 May - 15:03

I think so yes.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 12 May - 15:07

Looking forward in Irish rugby you are in a great situation, with Sexton already established and well respected and players like Madigan, Keatley and Patrick Jackson of Ulster... You have some great, similarly aged competition for the ten shirt...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 12 May - 15:15

Munster have three next generation fly-halves to choose from, there's Deasy, Keatley and Hannahran. I'm interested in seeing more of JJ. One of these will likely be first choice 10, Munster should still have O'Gara on the bench for big games though; whether it be to pin the opposition in their own half, kick goals or slot a few pressure drop-goals.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 12 May - 15:22

I agree its not all doom and gloom but the powers that be in Ireland need to identify where Irish rugby is falling short before we can move forward.

At the minute the IRFU seem more interested in prolonging big name players careers, in part for financial reasons, than developing the next generation of talent.

As long as ROG, D'arcy and co keep getting central contract extensions the younger guys are going to struggle to establish themselves.

Fair play to Wales, they aren't afraid to let the older guys go to let the younger guys come through. In Ireland the players are bigger than the jerseys which isn't the case in Wales.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 12 May - 15:39

That is true Rodders. Have the IRFU handed out any contracts to more up and coming players? I assume they are keeping on the likes of ROG and D'arcy for another year or two for some squad depth at provincial and international level.

I think you are yet to replace the Bull. Without him and a couple injuries in the pack Ireland and Irish teams seem to get outmuscled.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat 12 May - 15:53

I thought that was one if not the best games I have watched at club/regional level. Credit to Munster they threw everything at the Ospreys and did not give up. I thought the starting half backs for Munster played very well and Earls had a very good first half.. The Ospreys were a bit like the all blacks defending, turning the ball over and scoring. Great defence by the Ospreys from 1 to 15, it was so intense the game seemed to go on and on as so much was happening. It was a shame ROG came on to play 10 as Keatley kicked very well and ran in a cracking try.

The Ospreys always seem to be an end of season team, they must be a threat in the final on this form.

Great game, the Ospreys should have score more try's if they improve their offloading.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat 12 May - 19:23

O.k so I have been reading this thread throughout the day, and all I am hearing is, "this is very unMunster like" or "This is the worst I have seen Munster play" , for me this is what I have been saying for a while, the Ospreys have a set of forwards that can match any side in Europe, the backs are very young but have had this season to see what it is all about, last nights game has nothing to do with Munster being crap, it has everything to do with the Ospreys realising their potential and finally clicking, lets give credit where credit is due, the Ospreys totally smashed one of the best sides in Europe, and it had nothing to do with Munster having a "bad day", it was all down to the Ospreys being better, and to say otherwise would be very disrespectful, so people better get used to it, because this is the way they will be doing things from now on.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 12 May - 19:41

To be honest, Dowlias, it's both. The truth is in between the two. Ospreys forwards played well whereas Munster were clueless in several areas, worse than they normally are (although in general there has been a drop in standards). Yes Ospreys getting in their faces so well shook them but it's rare you see Munster get their breakdown tactics so wrong or have such an off-day in the lineout. Munsters great strength is they always did the basic things exceptionally well in every facet of forward play and last night they got it wrong in every respect. Crap

Unfortunately the other key factor in Munsters demise, the halfbacks, was not a surprise to anyone who's been watching Conor Murray and Ronan O'Gara this season. Munster fans now know why people would have said O'Gara is a limited player in comparison to Sexton or David Humphreys because he can't stand flat and create opportunities for his centres by attacking the gainline. He needs to sit back in the pocket and dictate the game with the boot, control territory- something he happens to be better at than any other Irish flyhalf he's been up against in his career. So it's disappointing to see Munster insisting on using him in a way that accentuates his weaknesses as a player, not his strengths.

Now I have to give credit to the Ospreys, because they have a fantastic set of forwards and are developing the backs to go with them- they are on their way back up and could be back in the Heineken Cup knockout stages soon. They were very good last night- but let's be honest here. It had a good bit to do with Munster being crap. Or rather bad tactics and poor execution.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 12 May - 20:22

Dowlis Ospreys are a very good side with an excellent pack and some very exciting backs. They seem to have a good team spirit now and are fully deserving winners.

That doesn't change the fact that Munster were extremely poor and made life easy for them. Munster have very good players still but are playing a very naive and predictable style of rugby, which hopefully the new coaching team will rectify next season. Step one is replace the half backs.

Agree with all of that Notch.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 12 May - 20:26

Morgannwg wrote:That is true Rodders. Have the IRFU handed out any contracts to more up and coming players? I assume they are keeping on the likes of ROG and D'arcy for another year or two for some squad depth at provincial and international level.

To be honest Morg I'm not so sure that the IRFU aren't more concerned about how much money they can make of image rights and advertising than they are with how well the players are performing. I don't have any other expanation why some of these guys are getting contracts. It certainly isn't based on recent performances anyway.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 12 May - 20:29

Sin é wrote:

I don't think Keatly was controlling the game very well. A choice was made to have two playmakers on the field. Keatley has had a few mixed games. Hanrahan didn't make the starting B+I final team. Deasy - one good game? Really!

You only get rid of your ageing stars if you've got the makings of something better.

As for the excuses - only picking holes in you fingering out of one player in your 'blame game.'

Am I picking on ROG a bit yes, I am willing to admit that. Only because he has been doing it for so long and I'm tired of it, when Ire;and/Munster were at their peak he stood flat and it lead to some very good rugby, I don't see why he doesn't try it now. The only Munster player who came out of that game with his head held high was POM. O'Donnell did some good things to as did Keatley but they were all awful besides the lack of interest/physicality they jsut made soem ridiculous errors.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 13 May - 0:52

Thomond wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Am I picking on ROG a bit yes, I am willing to admit that. Only because he has been doing it for so long and I'm tired of it, when Ire;and/Munster were at their peak he stood flat and it lead to some very good rugby, I don't see why he doesn't try it now. The only Munster player who came out of that game with his head held high was POM. O'Donnell did some good things to as did Keatley but they were all awful besides the lack of interest/physicality they jsut made soem ridiculous errors.

Don't know if you saw a quote from Rory Best about David Wallace last week. Rory said that they used to target ROG all the time (not the only ones), but ROG could get the offload to Wally who when tackled, still drove them back. Said Wally was phenomonal at driving them back. None of our backrows can do that now and our centres get well driven back as well.

See what a good backrow can do to Leinster's game tonight! Sexton & Reddan had a difficult night of it - thats what you get when your pack/backrow are not on top.

The Ospreys deserve great credit for their performance last night. I doubt if Leinster are looking forward to that encounter. Os will be nice and rested, whereas Leinster will have had a big match (and travel etc) the week before.

People say
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun 13 May - 0:59

rodders wrote:I forgot to say....

clap Mafi and Mick O'Driscoll.

Great servants to Munster and in MOD's case Ireland too. MOD in particular has been a real unsung hero and very underrated.

Mafi has had a great season for Munster.

All the best lads, thanks for the memories guinness

Really?! Mod is pretty average if you ask me as is mafi. Neither international class by any stretch.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 13 May - 8:47

Really.

I think in his pomp MOD could definitely do a job at international level and had a great career for Munster and Perpignan.

Mafi's been one of Munsters better players this season if you ask me. Really puts his body on the line in defence and makes a lot of line breaks, which his teammates haven't always made the most of.

Both have made big contributions for Munster and will be missed.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 13 May - 9:37

leinsterbaby wrote:

Really?! Mod is pretty average if you ask me as is mafi. Neither international class by any stretch.

Wow, really? Thats a big call. In his pomp MOD was a class act and very much international standard, as was Mafi.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun 13 May - 10:02

In his pomp! When was that? MOD has never looked good for Ireland. Very average at best. Cant think of a more average player to get so many irish caps in the last 20 years. He got over 20 caps!! Some quite charitable comments there. Mafi is a very frustrating player to watch, lots of energy and enthusiasm but often not very effective.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 13 May - 11:42

leinsterbaby wrote:In his pomp! When was that? MOD has never looked good for Ireland. Very average at best. Cant think of a more average player to get so many irish caps in the last 20 years. He got over 20 caps!! Some quite charitable comments there. Mafi is a very frustrating player to watch, lots of energy and enthusiasm but often not very effective.

MOD was magnificent against the ABs in Thomond Pk. Cullen has never put in such a performance - the very definition of average and he has 32 Ireland caps!

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Sun 13 May - 12:13

I agree, MOD was super in that game.
I'm really going to miss Mafi as well. So much change this year!
What drives me nuts about watching Munster is this back and forth like a typewriter attack that goes nowhere. It's so frustrating to watch.The first time I saw this was against Toulon when they seemed to have no idea what else to do. The attack needs help badly so why they have bought a forwards coach I don't get at all.
The Ospreys looked great. I hope the retirements/ loss of players don't have a bad impact on the side.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 13 May - 12:14

anyone else spot O'Gara trying to kick people whilst he was on the floor?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun 13 May - 12:26

Sin é wrote:
leinsterbaby wrote:In his pomp! When was that? MOD has never looked good for Ireland. Very average at best. Cant think of a more average player to get so many irish caps in the last 20 years. He got over 20 caps!! Some quite charitable comments there. Mafi is a very frustrating player to watch, lots of energy and enthusiasm but often not very effective.

MOD was magnificent against the ABs in Thomond Pk. Cullen has never put in such a performance - the very definition of average and he has 32 Ireland caps!

For every 1 game Mod has been good I could think of 10 he has been fairly anonymous. Cullen may not be a great international player but he is a much more useful and influential provencial player that Mod.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Right Sun 13 May - 12:36

leinsterbaby wrote:
Sin é wrote:

For every 1 game Mod has been good I could think of 10 he has been fairly anonymous. Cullen may not be a great international player but he is a much more useful and influential provencial player that Mod.

Not sure how many games you've watched. Mick was immense for us for years - POC has missed quite a lot of playing time over the years for Munster - he was rarely missed with MOD regularly outshining DOC in that time. We all have our opinions but he was the 3rd best lock in Ireland for years - unfortunately for him the 2 in front of him also played for Munster.

Red Right

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 May - 12:47

nathan wrote:anyone else spot O'Gara trying to kick people whilst he was on the floor?

yes it was when Tipuric turned him over. He kicked out and then tried to trip Biggar as well. definitely a performance for him to forget.

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun 13 May - 13:05

So you are saying he was better than Malcolm O'Kelly, Leo Cullen, Bob Casey and Gary Longwell because all played around the same time as him at various stages, got more international caps (bar Casey who is in my opinion much better) and some were picked ahead of him at world cups such as Longwell and O'Kelly.

At present Id pick POC, Doc, Cullen, Touhy and Toner ahead of him.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 13 May - 17:29

All i am saying is that MOD was international standard and was a very good servent to Munster and Ireland. I think its really sad that you lack the grace to even acknowledge that liensterbaby.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 13 May - 17:40

eirebilly wrote:All i am saying is that MOD was international standard and was a very good servent to Munster and Ireland. I think its really sad that you lack the grace to even acknowledge that liensterbaby.

Thats definitely true, regarding his amazing service to the game. He more than deserves accolades at the end of his career and the award he won from the IRUPA there. But to be fair it's also true that the likes of Longwell and Cullen are/were better players. He was never really capable of performing at international level, but he didn't let the jersey down and always gave it his best shot OK
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 13 May - 17:46

I feel that he was International standard Notch, no question about it. Because there were better players around at the time does not mean that he wasnt. To say that he was a pretty average player is simply not true.

eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 13 May - 18:24

Havent had much of a chance to post on here in the last few days I have been very busy.

I had a great time at the match, the pre match entertainment was magnificent, we had kids being presented with cups, kids doing gymnastics and army men absailing from the roof, and while all that was going on we had ROG missing simple kicks at goal, even in front of the posts he was hitting them well wide. The crowd were goading him and you could visibly see his confidence draining with each simple miss, we were thrilled to see him come on so early because his confidence was shot to pieces. I also noticed he seemed to get almost no distance on the ball on any kick to touch he hit, he has no strength anymore.

I really think the Ospreys put a great game together, there isn't too much credit being given from the Irish posters here, despite the fact that the Ospreys have played 9 games against Irish teams this season and won 8 of them, and were robbed in their defeat in Ulster, but from one or two of the posters you think the Ospreys are always lucky, and for some reason the Irish only put out their under 9's when they play against them... Whistle

Funniest part of the evening was admiring the sheer numbers of Munster supporters in the upper stand, and saying how loyal they all are, then at half time, the tannoy man asked the Japanease Under 20 team to stand up and recieve a round of applause, they they werent Munster fans after all! laughing
They also featured on the Scrum V broadcast as well when the commentry team were saying about the huge Munster support, they were all Japanease spies! Laugh
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 13 May - 19:18

eirebilly wrote:All i am saying is that MOD was international standard and was a very good servent to Munster and Ireland. I think its really sad that you lack the grace to even acknowledge that liensterbaby.

Well said Billy.

I happen to think Cullen is a very good an underrated player also so I don't understand why you are comparing them? Neither are a patch on O'Connell, very few are, but MOD has been a very good player who's made a big contribution to Munster and put in some good shifts for Ireland too.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 13 May - 19:39

AlynDavies wrote:Havent had much of a chance to post on here in the last few days I have been very busy.

I had a great time at the match, the pre match entertainment was magnificent, we had kids being presented with cups, kids doing gymnastics and army men absailing from the roof, and while all that was going on we had ROG missing simple kicks at goal, even in front of the posts he was hitting them well wide. The crowd were goading him and you could visibly see his confidence draining with each simple miss, we were thrilled to see him come on so early because his confidence was shot to pieces. I also noticed he seemed to get almost no distance on the ball on any kick to touch he hit, he has no strength anymore.

I really think the Ospreys put a great game together, there isn't too much credit being given from the Irish posters here, despite the fact that the Ospreys have played 9 games against Irish teams this season and won 8 of them, and were robbed in their defeat in Ulster, but from one or two of the posters you think the Ospreys are always lucky, and for some reason the Irish only put out their under 9's when they play against them... Whistle

Funniest part of the evening was admiring the sheer numbers of Munster supporters in the upper stand, and saying how loyal they all are, then at half time, the tannoy man asked the Japanease Under 20 team to stand up and recieve a round of applause, they they werent Munster fans after all! laughing
They also featured on the Scrum V broadcast as well when the commentry team were saying about the huge Munster support, they were all Japanease spies! Laugh

Alyn, I think people are giving Ospreys due credit. They played very well, but ther's no escaping the fact that Musnter were diabolical. Ospreys are a very talented side and put Musnter to the sword. They executed the perfect gameplan and deserved their win. That doesn't mean Munster were not shoite because they were awful.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 13 May - 20:17

Thomond wrote:Alyn, I think people are giving Ospreys due credit. They played very well, but ther's no escaping the fact that Musnter were diabolical. Ospreys are a very talented side and put Musnter to the sword. They executed the perfect gameplan and deserved their win. That doesn't mean Munster were not shoite because they were awful.

Yes but they were always on the back foot, the Ospreys beat them up. Any time they had the ball they were getting smashed backwards to the point they didn't want the ball anymore. the Ospreys have an awesome pack and now we have a backs coach who knows how to get the backs playing. Yahoo
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 13 May - 20:29

Alyn you are right, Ospreys were smashing them backwards but Munsters predictable attack, faciltated by poor decision making by ROG, allowed them to to that.

Ospreys were fantastic and deserving winners but Munster were very, very poor, a shadow of previous Munster sides, and lucky not to loose by a wider margin.

Munster are known for their tactical nous and physical commitment and they showed a complete lack of either attribute against the Ospreys.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 13 May - 20:30

AlynDavies wrote:
Thomond wrote:Alyn, I think people are giving Ospreys due credit. They played very well, but ther's no escaping the fact that Musnter were diabolical. Ospreys are a very talented side and put Musnter to the sword. They executed the perfect gameplan and deserved their win. That doesn't mean Munster were not shoite because they were awful.

Yes but they were always on the back foot, the Ospreys beat them up. Any time they had the ball they were getting smashed backwards to the point they didn't want the ball anymore. the Ospreys have an awesome pack and now we have a backs coach who knows how to get the backs playing. Yahoo

That didn't happen until ROG came on Wink But yeah you're right, Leinster could beat them if they put effort into it.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next