The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread

+49
Comfort
Huwball
Goosestepper
profitius
Cardiff Dave
Valleyboy
The Great Aukster
21st Century Schizoid Man
Thomond
Liam
Taffineastbourne
J_D
Imperialbigdave
Rava
IanBru
GunsGerms
doctor_grey
mckay1402
asoreleftshoulder
LondonTiger
valjester
The Boss
Artful_Dodger
LemonyVodka5
rodders
Morgannwg
eirebilly
red_stag
MMC
Mickado
Cari
Rory_Gallagher
Shifty
LordDowlais
Breadvan
SecretFly
glamorganalun
MrsP
Gibson
LeinsterFan4life
sheephead
Jenifer McLadyboy
Feckless Rogue
maestegmafia
Notch
geoff998rugby
thebluesmancometh
Pot Hale
mrzimmerman
53 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread - Page 9 Empty Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread

Post by mrzimmerman Mon 07 May 2012, 9:35 am

First topic message reminder :

Teams announced;

Ospreys

15 Richard Fussell
14 Hanno Dirksen
13 Andrew Bishop
12 Ashley Beck
11 Shane Williams
10 Dan Biggar
9 Kahn Fotuali'i
1 Paul James
2 Richard Hibbard
3 Adam Jones
4 Alun Wyn Jones (Capt)
5 Ian Evans
6 Ryan Jones
7 Justin Tipuric
8 Joe Bearman

Replacements:

16 Scott Baldwin
17 Ryan Bevington
18 Aaron Jarvis
19 James King
20 Tom Smith
21 Rhys Webb
22 Matthew Morgan
23 Tom Isaacs

Munster: F Jones; J Murphy, K Earls, L Mafi, S Zebo; I Keatley, C Murray; W du Preez, M Sherry, BJ Botha; D O'Callaghan, M O'Driscoll; D Ryan, T O'Donnell, P O'Mahony.

Replacements: D Fogarty, D Kilcoyne, S Archer, Dave O'Callaghan, P Butler, T O'Leary, R O'Gara, I Dineen.

Big game Friday night. Any other Welsh region would be underdogs against one of the 3 main Irish teams in a big match either home or away BUT the Ospreys aren't. Reason being they aren't afraid of Munster, Leinster or Ulster as results this year have shown. The home side are favourites(this was further cemented by POC being announced as injured for the match). Saying this, there's no way that Munster will fear travelling to the Liberty. They are a strong, physical unit and will be desperate to win the Pro12 and retain their Celtic league crown.

I'm hoping for a flowing game but think both teams will play to their strengths in their respective packs. Where as to an extent the other semi is a David v Goliath I'd say this is far more evenly matched.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's views on the likely teams, key battles and anything else related.

Will update the post with teams as announced tomorrow. Have removed the dr strangelove ref from the title of the thread, got fed up of seeing it after a while.

Last edited by georgestowersbiceps on Thu 10 May 2012, 8:45 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : the teams)

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread

Post by Shifty Sun 13 May 2012, 3:33 pm

Thomond wrote:That didn't happen until ROG came on Wink But yeah you're right, Leinster could beat them if they put effort into it.

I wonder how much Leinster will have left, by all accounts their in pieces after the Glasgow game, they have a European final against Ulster next week, which will hurt them more and finally a game against us. And weve beaten them twice this season too. thumbsup
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread

Post by rodders Sun 13 May 2012, 3:37 pm

Can't see Leinster losing two games in a row Alyn.... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 13 May 2012, 3:38 pm

Half of those "injuries" aren't serious. If Leisnter win next week ,they won't give a shoite about the Rabo, but could still win it. Ospreys should win it mainly because Leinster will have played a mroe important competition the week before.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 13 May 2012, 3:39 pm

rodders wrote:Can't see Leinster losing two games in a row Alyn.... Whistle
#

Just put a nice big dent in them for us, Ianto, AWJ, Ryan, Adam and Tips will do the rest. Hug
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 13 May 2012, 3:40 pm

thumbsup ..... guinness Very Happy ....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun 13 May 2012, 4:02 pm

rodders wrote:
eirebilly wrote:All i am saying is that MOD was international standard and was a very good servent to Munster and Ireland. I think its really sad that you lack the grace to even acknowledge that liensterbaby.

Well said Billy.

I happen to think Cullen is a very good an underrated player also so I don't understand why you are comparing them? Neither are a patch on O'Connell, very few are, but MOD has been a very good player who's made a big contribution to Munster and put in some good shifts for Ireland too.

Nothing to do with lack of grace. I happen to think he was fairly average and quite fortunate to pick up 20 plus caps. I also don't think he was good enough to be picked for the 2011 WC squad. Thought it was a joke.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 13 May 2012, 4:08 pm

Fair enough Leinsterbaby, and you're probably right on the RWC 2011 squad.

I do think he was a good player and certainly good enough to do a job for Ireland earlier in his career and was still doing well for Munster right up to the end.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 14 May 2012, 2:21 am

leinsterbaby wrote:
rodders wrote:
eirebilly wrote:All i am saying is that MOD was international standard and was a very good servent to Munster and Ireland. I think its really sad that you lack the grace to even acknowledge that liensterbaby.

Well said Billy.

I happen to think Cullen is a very good an underrated player also so I don't understand why you are comparing them? Neither are a patch on O'Connell, very few are, but MOD has been a very good player who's made a big contribution to Munster and put in some good shifts for Ireland too.

Nothing to do with lack of grace. I happen to think he was fairly average and quite fortunate to pick up 20 plus caps. I also don't think he was good enough to be picked for the 2011 WC squad. Thought it was a joke.

It has everything to do with a lack of grace. Any player who gets 20 caps is of international quality. The guy was a great servent to Ireland and Munster and people in the game with a hell of alot more knowledge than you about the game and the players decided that he was international quality and a top quality club player.
If any Munster fans had of said the things you have said about MOD and Mafi, about Jennings or Cullen you would hit the roof so try to show some grace.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 14 May 2012, 2:35 am

eirebilly wrote:
leinsterbaby wrote:
rodders wrote:

Well said Billy.

It has everything to do with a lack of grace. Any player who gets 20 caps is of international quality. The guy was a great servent to Ireland and Munster and people in the game with a hell of alot more knowledge than you about the game and the players decided that he was international quality and a top quality club player.
If any Munster fans had of said the things you have said about MOD and Mafi, about Jennings or Cullen you would hit the roof so try to show some grace.

It does not matter who you support, Leinster/Munster/Ulster/Connacht, if anybody say's anything about your players that might be true, you get all precious about it, then start getting defensive. Perhaps you should all look at your players without biased eyes. Wink Run

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 14 May 2012, 2:48 am

It has absolutely nothing to do with Bias. MOD and MAfi are both quality players. I have the utmost respect for all provinces and their players. I just find these cheap digs at them, well, cheap and sad.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 14 May 2012, 4:17 am

It's not a cheap dig it's an opinion. Why should I pretend I think a player is quality just because he plays for a rival team. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. I think Mod is one of the worst players to be capped by Ireland in the last 10 years. It has to be someone I think it is him. Just because he is retiring now and he has been a decent servant to Munster there's no need to sugar coat it.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 14 May 2012, 4:25 am

No, you have made cheap digs and try to sugar coat it as an opinion.
As i have said, people involved in the game that have obviously more knowledge of the game and the players seem to have seen something more in MOD than that of a pretty average player thats not international standard by any stretch of the imagination as you so eloquently put it.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 14 May 2012, 4:48 am

Lads, you are going off topic, this thread is about the semi final, so can we please talk about that. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 14 May 2012, 4:52 am

My apologies, got sidetracked a bit there but you are correct this is a thread about the semi final match.

As i said earlier, as a Munster fan, i have absolutely no issues with the match. Out thought, out played and beaten by an excellent Osprey's side on the day. Hard as it was to watch, i really enjoyed the O's approach to the match and they will be tough to beat in the final if they play like that again.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 14 May 2012, 4:55 am

Just back from France where I was able to see the game.

The simple facts of that semi final was the Ospreys destroyed our lineout and turned us over any time we tried to run at them. We could not do anything bar a bit of indiviudalism and the scoreline reflected the game.

I am not especially worried about the lineout moving forward but the backrow situation alarms me greatly. We've lost Quinlan, Leamy and Wallace in the space of a year. Thats 6 Heineken Cup final medals, 156 international caps and 560 Munster games of experience we do not have to call on. We have some good Irish backrows and a few decent ones but I really think we need to make a signing at backrow. A top class player who can push us forward at the breakdown.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 14 May 2012, 4:57 am

I actually thought that POM had a great match stag. He is coming along very nicely.
Not putting any blame on ROG but he did not have a great match.

eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 14 May 2012, 4:59 am

There we are, this is better than arguing now isnt it. Hug

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 14 May 2012, 5:00 am

eirebilly wrote:I actually thought that POM had a great match stag. He is coming along very nicely.

O'Mahony did very well but he is only one man. I think he will be a top class player for club and country but I think more is needed. There are three back row positions.

IMO O'Gara is looking very very very close to being done. I genuinely have not seen him play well in 2012.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 14 May 2012, 5:03 am

red_stag wrote:
eirebilly wrote:I actually thought that POM had a great match stag. He is coming along very nicely.

O'Mahony did very well but he is only one man. I think he will be a top class player for club and country but I think more is needed. There are three back row positions.

IMO O'Gara is looking very very very close to being done. I genuinely have not seen him play well in 2012.

Tuperic nailed him and turned him over for Dirksens try, although he was given a little bit of a hospital pass, perhaps O'Gara could move into a coaching role as he would have a hell of a lot to offer to the younger guys comming through. idea

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 14 May 2012, 5:03 am

Its a start though and he looks a natural leader as well.
I have said many times, ROG is at the end. I love the guy to his bones and he has been one hell of a servant for Munster and Ireland but its time to let him go.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 14 May 2012, 5:04 am

ROG, is already ear marked for a coaching role Lord. He is going to be a very good coach in a few years.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 14 May 2012, 5:09 am

It is a start and I have no doubt he will become a true Musnter great. Certainly no worse than O'Gara or O'Connell were at his age.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 14 May 2012, 6:21 am

Munster lacked leadership in the game and O'Connell'S value to the team was never as evident. Up here we have the same problem when Muller and Best are absent. His return and that of Ryan should address this. I also think Stringer's return will be a big help as well.
Maybe the changes that are happening have had an effect on the morale within the set-up and it will be Penney's first job to reinstate that. There is sufficient talent available in the squad to ensure this was a blip and not permanent.
Munster fans might have to lower expectations for the next year or so. The normal expectations might put too much pressure on the team and have a detrimental effect on performances.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 14 May 2012, 6:36 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Tuperic nailed him and turned him over for Dirksens try, although he was given a little bit of a hospital pass, perhaps O'Gara could move into a coaching role as he would have a hell of a lot to offer to the younger guys comming through. idea

That wasn't O'Mahony..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 14 May 2012, 7:27 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

That wasn't O'Mahony..

No it was O'Gara.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 15 May 2012, 4:20 am

Good news for Munster the RDS will host next years Amlin challenge cup. If they make the final they won't have too far to travel.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 15 May 2012, 8:23 am

That's a big if! Wink
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9