The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread

+49
Comfort
Huwball
Goosestepper
profitius
Cardiff Dave
Valleyboy
The Great Aukster
21st Century Schizoid Man
Thomond
Liam
Taffineastbourne
J_D
Imperialbigdave
Rava
IanBru
GunsGerms
doctor_grey
mckay1402
asoreleftshoulder
LondonTiger
valjester
The Boss
Artful_Dodger
LemonyVodka5
rodders
Morgannwg
eirebilly
red_stag
MMC
Mickado
Cari
Rory_Gallagher
Shifty
LordDowlais
Breadvan
SecretFly
glamorganalun
MrsP
Gibson
LeinsterFan4life
sheephead
Jenifer McLadyboy
Feckless Rogue
maestegmafia
Notch
geoff998rugby
thebluesmancometh
Pot Hale
mrzimmerman
53 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread - Page 2 Empty Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread

Post by mrzimmerman Mon 07 May 2012, 2:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

Teams announced;

Ospreys

15 Richard Fussell
14 Hanno Dirksen
13 Andrew Bishop
12 Ashley Beck
11 Shane Williams
10 Dan Biggar
9 Kahn Fotuali'i
1 Paul James
2 Richard Hibbard
3 Adam Jones
4 Alun Wyn Jones (Capt)
5 Ian Evans
6 Ryan Jones
7 Justin Tipuric
8 Joe Bearman

Replacements:

16 Scott Baldwin
17 Ryan Bevington
18 Aaron Jarvis
19 James King
20 Tom Smith
21 Rhys Webb
22 Matthew Morgan
23 Tom Isaacs

Munster: F Jones; J Murphy, K Earls, L Mafi, S Zebo; I Keatley, C Murray; W du Preez, M Sherry, BJ Botha; D O'Callaghan, M O'Driscoll; D Ryan, T O'Donnell, P O'Mahony.

Replacements: D Fogarty, D Kilcoyne, S Archer, Dave O'Callaghan, P Butler, T O'Leary, R O'Gara, I Dineen.

Big game Friday night. Any other Welsh region would be underdogs against one of the 3 main Irish teams in a big match either home or away BUT the Ospreys aren't. Reason being they aren't afraid of Munster, Leinster or Ulster as results this year have shown. The home side are favourites(this was further cemented by POC being announced as injured for the match). Saying this, there's no way that Munster will fear travelling to the Liberty. They are a strong, physical unit and will be desperate to win the Pro12 and retain their Celtic league crown.

I'm hoping for a flowing game but think both teams will play to their strengths in their respective packs. Where as to an extent the other semi is a David v Goliath I'd say this is far more evenly matched.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's views on the likely teams, key battles and anything else related.

Will update the post with teams as announced tomorrow. Have removed the dr strangelove ref from the title of the thread, got fed up of seeing it after a while.

Last edited by georgestowersbiceps on Thu 10 May 2012, 1:45 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : the teams)

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 09 May 2012, 7:52 pm

It must be the only reason why the irish sides are performing. I would put it down to bribery myself.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 09 May 2012, 8:19 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:It must be the only reason why the irish sides are performing. I would put it down to bribery myself.
Laugh guinness

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 09 May 2012, 8:24 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:It must be the only reason why the irish sides are performing. I would put it down to bribery myself.

Bribery? their all on the pay roll of the Irish Union, players, coaches and Irish referees! Whistle

Watch the Ospreys V Leinster game again at the start of the season, that's all you really need to see, to know there is biased refereeing involved. mad
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 09 May 2012, 8:30 pm

Or the Blues V Munster at the CCS. A disallowed try right at the end for a forward pass that went backwards.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 09 May 2012, 10:09 pm

every team in every sport can have complaints about referee decisions that went against them...its not unique to welsh rugby teams.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 10 May 2012, 8:17 am

Really looking forward to this game. If the O's...I mean WHEN the O's make it to the final, Tandy will be very pleased with himself and so he should be. Just goes to show what a change in the ranks can do. Shame they didn't do it sooner. Anyway, things seem to be headed in a positive direction. Made me chuckle that this may be Shane's proper last game....I wonder if he'll have such a finish again. On the Munster side of things, no POC, but ROG:

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/news/5293.php

On the subject of season tickets for next year, the O's have really gone all out with offering different membership packages to suit all types of fans and at reasonable prices too which seems to be putting bums on seats Smile

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/news/5234.php

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 10 May 2012, 8:31 am

AlynDavies wrote:

Bribery? their all on the pay roll of the Irish Union, players, coaches and Irish referees! Whistle

Watch the Ospreys V Leinster game again at the start of the season, that's all you really need to see, to know there is biased refereeing involved. mad

you mean the game that Ospreys won 27-3?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 May 2012, 9:58 am

Cari - I've been really impressed with the O's Season Ticket scheme for next season, fair play to them.

Is there any more news on whether Tipuric is going to be fit for this one? There was an article a day or so ago on walesonline that said he was a doubt? He'd be a big loss for the O's if he didn't make it.

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Thu 10 May 2012, 12:00 pm

Munster team for tomorrow night -

Munster Rugby wrote:Donncha O'Callaghan, a replacement against Ulster, comes into the side for the injured Paul O'Connell in an otherwise unchanged pack.
In the backs, Ian Keatley, a late withdrawal last weekend, replaces Scott Deasy at out-half, while no surprise that a fit again Keith Earls in named at number 13 with Ivan Dineen slipping onto the bench.

Ronan O'Gara has been named among the replacements after coming through training yesterday unscathed and Dave Kilcoyne in preferred to Marcus Horan for the number 17 shirt.

Munster:
1. Wian du Preez
2. Mike Sherry
3. BJ Botha
4. Donncha O'Callaghan
5. Mick O'Driscoll
6. Donnacha Ryan
7. Tommy O'Donnell
8. Peter O'Mahony

9. Conor Murray
10. Ian Keatley
11. Simon Zebo
12. Lifeimi Mafi
13. Keith Earls
14. Johne Murphy
15. Felix Jones

Replacements: Denis Fogarty, Dave Kilcoyne, Stephen Archer, Dave O'Callaghan, Paddy Butler, Tomás O'Leary, Ronan O'Gara, Ivan Dineen.
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Thu 10 May 2012, 12:04 pm

No mention of captain but I'd imagine it'll be Micko.

That's as strong a team as I would've expected really. I think Deasy can count himself unlucky to have missed out completely but I think it's probably the right call to have Keatley starting with ROG on the bench.

Great to see Earls back - I thought he looked very sharp when he came on against Ulster last weekend. He looks fully fit for the first time since the World Cup.

The pack looks good despite O'Connell not being there. There's a nice look of balance about the back 5.

Plenty of impact on the bench too. All in all I'm pretty happy. Any sign of the Ospreys lineup?
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 10 May 2012, 12:11 pm

I really like that team. I worry about how Keatley will do but otherwise I am happy.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 10 May 2012, 12:23 pm

::Match Preview by Ospreys RugbyOspreys team to face MunsterThe Ospreys team to play Munster on Friday 11th May 2012 in the RaboDirect PRO12 semi-final at the Liberty Stadium, kick off at 7.35pm (UK), will be as follows:

15 Richard Fussell

14 Hanno Dirksen

13 Andrew Bishop

12 Ashley Beck

11 Shane Williams

10 Dan Biggar

9 Kahn Fotuali'i

1 Paul James

2 Richard Hibbard

3 Adam Jones

4 Alun Wyn Jones (Capt)

5 Ian Evans

6 Ryan Jones

7 Justin Tipuric

8 Joe Bearman

Replacements:

16 Scott Baldwin

17 Ryan Bevington

18 Aaron Jarvis

19 James King

20 Tom Smith

21 Rhys Webb

22 Matthew Morgan

23 Tom Isaacs

Not overly happy with the persistent use of Fussell as fullback and Webb on the bench, but that is the best team that the coaches think they can select. So lets see what they can do.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 10 May 2012, 1:48 pm

Ospreys by a score on those teams.

Could be a good game though?

Last year's semi was not great.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mrzimmerman Thu 10 May 2012, 1:48 pm

Sorry for only now adding the teams (i think i'm one of the only civil servants actually working today so i'm a bit busy.)

As a whole happy with the team the O's have selected. I only hope that if we have a plan B if we can't/don't dominate up front.

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 10 May 2012, 3:08 pm

Dreamer - Tippy's been picked so he must be OK. He did have a back spasm, which was hopefully just a minor twinge and his omission last week was a precautionary one.

For anyone who's interested, the O's have announced that there'll be a Meet & Greet of all the players after the match including Benny and Tommy (plus others flying the nest) will be there to say ta-ra Crying or Very sad

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 10 May 2012, 3:33 pm

Munster are just one ball carrier lacking IMO and I think it could be the difference.

This is a very big game in terms of development as a team.

Anyone remember the days (of literally upto 18 months ago) when Munster would automatically pick:

01 Marcus Horan
02 Jerry Flannery
03 John Hayes
04 Donnacha O'Callaghan
05 Paul O'Connell
06 Alan Quinlan
07 David Wallace
08 Denis Leamy
09 Tomas O'Leary
10 Ronan O'Gara

Only one of those 10 players are starting with two more on the bench.

The times they are a changing.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 10 May 2012, 3:39 pm

How many of them have gone through injury Staggy? Still, there's new players coming up through the ranks, and they could be future Wallys/POCs/Hayes...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 10 May 2012, 3:44 pm

Cari, O'Connell is the only injury who would be starting. Many are retired (4). Some are picked on the bench (2) and Marcus Horan is simply not picked in the match day squad. Leamy is the other injury apart from O'Connell but he would only be on the bench as he was in the Heineken Cup.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 10 May 2012, 3:45 pm

Munster are evolving but all the signs are there that they will be a very good team within two years.

Its going to be a very close match i feel but i am confident that Munster will win Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 10 May 2012, 3:47 pm

I still think we lack ball carriers. As younger men O'Connell, Wallace and Leamy were excellent for us in that regard. We can't call on them though.

The guys we have are fine but don't get over gain line consistently enough for me.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 10 May 2012, 3:49 pm

red_stag wrote:Cari, O'Connell is the only injury who would be starting. Many are retired (4). Some are picked on the bench (2) and Marcus Horan is simply not picked in the match day squad. Leamy is the other injury apart from O'Connell but he would only be on the bench as he was in the Heineken Cup.

Didn't Wally and Flannery have to retire early through injuries though, or do you think they would've been retired anyway?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 10 May 2012, 3:51 pm

red_stag wrote:I still think we lack ball carriers. As younger men O'Connell, Wallace and Leamy were excellent for us in that regard. We can't call on them though.

The guys we have are fine but don't get over gain line consistently enough for me.

O'Mahony is your best ball carrier currently. He adds a lot of momentum to the Munster attack.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 10 May 2012, 3:52 pm

Cari, they were on their last legs anyway. Flannery was 33 years old and Wallace was 35 years old when he retired.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 10 May 2012, 3:53 pm

POM is a great ball carrier staggy, one of the best prospects for many a year. Given them time to gel and i am certain that Munster will have an excellent side.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 10 May 2012, 3:53 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
red_stag wrote:I still think we lack ball carriers. As younger men O'Connell, Wallace and Leamy were excellent for us in that regard. We can't call on them though.

O'Mahony is your best ball carrier currently. He adds a lot of momentum to the Munster attack.

He is but he is still very slight. He will get bigger in time but for now he is not a man to be relied upon for crashing go forward ball.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 10 May 2012, 3:57 pm

eirebilly wrote:POM is a great ball carrier staggy, one of the best prospects for many a year. Given them time to gel and i am certain that Munster will have an excellent side.

I think we will be fine in time. I am very optimistic regarding future. However just talking about this one match.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 10 May 2012, 3:58 pm

He carries himself about well though. As I said before, O'Mahony is apparently the same weight as Harinordoquy and Read. He has a similar style to those guys as well. He could do with bulking up a bit more, but he isn't exactly that slight. In the past number of games, taking the ball forward into heavy traffic has been exactly what he has been doing, and to great effect. Not sure why you think he can't be relied on for that.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 10 May 2012, 4:00 pm

Even talking about this one match, POM is still going to be a handfull.
I am not doubting that Munster have the team and the ability to beat the O's for one second Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 10 May 2012, 4:00 pm

Not the best team Ospreys could pick. I do shiver every time I see Fussell's name on the sheet. Sigh.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 10 May 2012, 4:05 pm

Fussell's a funny one. Sometimes, just when you think he's a having a good game (which isn't often to be fair), he does something daft. I'm interested to see what the card count is going to be considering the O's and Munster are next to each other towards the bottom of the Fair Play League table... Whistle I bet an O's forward will get binned.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 10 May 2012, 4:13 pm

I bet it's Paul James to get binned when Munster start cheating in the scrums....followed by the Munster no.7 Very Happy.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 10 May 2012, 4:16 pm

red_stag wrote:
He is but he is still very slight. He will get bigger in time but for now he is not a man to be relied upon for crashing go forward ball.

Slight yer bollix stag you'd be reaching for the elephant gun if he he was running at you! Shocked ..... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 10 May 2012, 4:18 pm

Just goes to show how big Munsters wallet is, Rolland is the ref....
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 10 May 2012, 4:19 pm

rodders wrote:
red_stag wrote:

Slight yer bollix stag you'd be reaching for the elephant gun if he he was running at you! Shocked ..... Whistle

Nah I'd just side step. I'm elusive like that Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread - Page 2 4278589029
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 10 May 2012, 4:22 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Just goes to show how big Munsters wallet is, Rolland is the ref....

Thats a bit harsh Morgan...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 10 May 2012, 4:23 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Just goes to show how big Munsters wallet is, Rolland is the ref....

FFS all this bloody talk about Munster and their deep pockets buying the ref.

Rolland would do anything if you sent a fiver his way. Don't need a big wallet at all my friend.

The real issue is the regions are so broke that can't even offer £5 instead of €5 thumbsup
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 10 May 2012, 4:24 pm

eirebilly wrote:

I would have said idiotic myself.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 10 May 2012, 4:24 pm

eirebilly wrote:

I think Rolland is French isnt he...? It get so confusing with these dual nationality pros...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 10 May 2012, 4:26 pm

It is a rather odd choice for the refs for these big games though. Dont understand it myself.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 10 May 2012, 4:27 pm

The choice of refs is very poor. Those kinds of comments are unavoidable as a result.

It is sad to see but there are genuinely people who believe rugby referees to be corrupt.

This gives them ammo.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 10 May 2012, 4:28 pm

red_stag wrote:The choice of refs is very poor. Those kinds of comments are unavoidable as a result.

It is sad to see but there are genuinely people who believe rugby referees to be corrupt.

This gives them ammo.

The welsh you mean?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 10 May 2012, 4:29 pm

It is unavoidable but i really do question the selection process when Clancy and Rolland get the semi finals...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 10 May 2012, 4:29 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
red_stag wrote:The choice of refs is very poor. Those kinds of comments are unavoidable as a result.

This gives them ammo.

The welsh you mean?

Some of them are Welsh. But some of them aren't. Some Welsh don't think they are.

A comment like you just gave there is only going to provoke them and keep the thing going.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 10 May 2012, 4:32 pm

eirebilly wrote:It is unavoidable but i really do question the selection process when Clancy and Rolland get the semi finals...

I understand (but a billion per cent disagree with it).

I'm guessing the selection process is that IRB Elite Referees will get the games and that Owens isnt getting one due to the Heineken Cup Final.

Its ridiculous though
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 10 May 2012, 4:37 pm

I dont like the accusations myself either.

That may be the selection criteria but surely they must have looked at this and thought for a few seconds that it may not be a good idea to have Irish officials officiating in semi finals containing Irish teams?

There cant be that much of a shortage of good officials to choose from.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 10 May 2012, 4:43 pm

red_stag wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:

This gives them ammo.

The welsh you mean?

Some of them are Welsh. But some of them aren't. Some Welsh don't think they are.

A comment like you just gave there is only going to provoke them and keep the thing going.

I was on a WUM mission, I didn't mean it. However since you brought it up we don't like to buy refs we like fair play Very Happy.

I don't believe refs to be corrupt, that's ridiculous. I do believe the standard of the refs in the Celtic League to be poor though, it is almost as big an issue as Ulsters over-reliance on their South African contingent. Just look at the way they capitulated in Munster without them....

Run
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 10 May 2012, 4:44 pm

red_stag wrote:
eirebilly wrote:It is unavoidable but i really do question the selection process when Clancy and Rolland get the semi finals...

I understand (but a billion per cent disagree with it).

I'm guessing the selection process is that IRB Elite Referees will get the games and that Owens isnt getting one due to the Heineken Cup Final.

Its ridiculous though

I dont think that there is any genuine corruption. But two Irish refs, in semis where two Irish teams are competing is a bit odd...!

Surely it would be of greater advantage to both the Rabbo and the AP next door in England, that we had the AP refs and they the Rabbo Pro ones so there were no possible accusations.

My problems with the refs is not that they may favour one side or the other, both are consummate professionals, but they are the two dourest referee's in the world. Both turn potentially great games into snore fests... Not what us fans want.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 10 May 2012, 4:52 pm

Morgan, I am not claiming you do. However I have seen other posters where people do so.

I assumed you were bantering.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 10 May 2012, 6:47 pm

I do not for one minute think that refs are corrupt, what I do believe though is that perhaps subconciously they would favour their own nation over others, but only without realising, a bit like a parent supporting a team playing against a side one of their siblings are playing for, perhaps they will sometimes see something in another team that they would not see in their own, and as a result the fifty fifty's might seem one sided. I hope I explained that o.k as I do not have the ability to make it more straight forward. laughing

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 10 May 2012, 6:52 pm

p.s I mean that about all refs, not just Irish one's Ale

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next